Author Topic: organically produced food - is it truly superior food or just a scam?  (Read 367589 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
and if so why are you not buying it

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
Re: organically produced food - is it truly superior food or just a scam?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
Scam.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »
Depends on what it is.  Soft fleshy things where you eat the skin, I try, like strawberries,  Something like a banana, no.
:

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
Organic milk tastes way better and lasts longer in the fridge.
Y

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
If it is TRULY organic in the spirit of the word as opposed to merely the legal definition, then YES,
It is superior to synthetic, processed, preservative laden GMO Franken-foods (which are really slow-kill poisons)
Of course the degree of superiority is also heavily dependant on the condition of the soils in which they are grown.
w

Mr.Mojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
Organic foods do not necessarily mean toxin-free, as plants produce their own natural toxins and these can contaminate organic products. Farmers can use natural pesticides, such as sulfur, nicotine and copper, which can also be found on the foods.
Whether you choose organic or conventional foods, the safest way is to thoroughly rinse all fruits and vegetables under running water.
Wash items with inedible skins, like melons, because cutting the rinds with a knife can bring contaminants to the inside.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/organic_foods_pesticides_gmo.htm

Studies show that organic food has more beneficial nutrients, such as antioxidants, than their conventionally grown counterparts.
Organic produce contains fewer pesticides. Pesticides are chemicals such as fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides.
Organic food is usually fresher because it doesn’t contain preservatives that make it last longer
Organically raised animals are not given antibiotics, growth hormones, or fed animal byproducts.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
Scam.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »
This should help.

Organic, most of the time, means outdated pesticides are used instead of modern (safer) ones. But essentially everything worth eating is GMO, from apples to bananas to strawberries.

What I'd like to find is meat which does not contain antibiotics. But I bet it would be many times more expensive than the "generic" meat, so may not even be worth it in my case (money is tight when you're a student and trying to build some muscle  ;D )

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
This should help.

Organic, most of the time, means outdated pesticides are used instead of modern (safer) ones. But essentially everything worth eating is GMO, from apples to bananas to strawberries.

What I'd like to find is meat which does not contain antibiotics. But I bet it would be many times more expensive than the "generic" meat, so may not even be worth it in my case (money is tight when you're a student and trying to build some muscle  ;D )
great video

thanks

BigNJ

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
Organic is the way to go.
No hormones or pesticides, no added anything, just what nature meant for you to eat.

Plus, organic food and milk taste so much better.

I buy all my meat organic, eggs from organic free run chicken. you'll feel better trust me.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »
Organic is the way to go.
No hormones or pesticides, no added anything, just what nature meant for you to eat.

Plus, organic food and milk taste so much better.

I buy all my meat organic, eggs from organic free run chicken. you'll feel better trust me.

placebo effect in action

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
I can't tell the difference in food tastes between organic and inorganic.

My girls says she can, but I'm skeptical.

Chicken tastes like chicken to me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
I can't tell the difference in food tastes between organic and inorganic.

My girls says she can, but I'm skeptical.

Chicken tastes like chicken to me.

Free range chicken tastes better to me. -Lived on a farm as a kid. Everything was organic. It tasted better.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
Free range chicken tastes better to me. -Lived on a farm as a kid. Everything was organic. It tasted better.

She says the same thing.

I just can't tell.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »
She says the same thing.

I just can't tell.

It is also possible we just imagine that it tastes better because we paid more for it....except of course food grown or raised on the farm, which was essentially free.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 05:33:13 AM »

From what I understand "free range" means they give the chickens the option to go outside, but they don't actually PUT them outside. So chances are the chickens just stay indoors anyway. My grandma has true "free range" chickens on her farm in Ukraine, she makes them leave the barn and roam around. I can't taste the difference between chicken I buy at Wholesale Club and hers. I CAN taste the difference between the chicken here in Canada and the cheap ones in the states. I have no idea what they give the American chickens, but the breast looks 3X as big as  regular chicken breast and is tough like a rock. On the bright side, its about $2/lb and has more protein in it than non-mutant chickens  ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 03:57:00 AM »
From what I understand "free range" means they give the chickens the option to go outside, but they don't actually PUT them outside. So chances are the chickens just stay indoors anyway. My grandma has true "free range" chickens on her farm in Ukraine, she makes them leave the barn and roam around. I can't taste the difference between chicken I buy at Wholesale Club and hers. I CAN taste the difference between the chicken here in Canada and the cheap ones in the states. I have no idea what they give the American chickens, but the breast looks 3X as big as  regular chicken breast and is tough like a rock. On the bright side, its about $2/lb and has more protein in it than non-mutant chickens  ;D

corn, antibiotics and hormones

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
corn, antibiotics and hormones

I looked it up, and apparently its illegal to give chickens hormones in the US

No steroid hormones are approved for growth purposes in dairy cattle, veal calves, pigs, or poultry. All of the steroid hormone growth-promoting drugs are available for over-the-counter purchase in the U.S. and are generally given by the livestock producer at specific stages of the animals’ growth.
source: http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/productsafetyinformation/ucm055436.htm

Perhaps its the corn and antibiotics alone? Still doesn't explain why the breasts are so big... Unless the exogenous hormones thing isn't enforced?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
I looked it up, and apparently its illegal to give chickens hormones in the US
source: http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/productsafetyinformation/ucm055436.htm

Perhaps its the corn and antibiotics alone? Still doesn't explain why the breasts are so big... Unless the exogenous hormones thing isn't enforced?

no one ever breaks the law in the US... love of jesus and respect for the constitution keeps everyone angelic...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »

According to some food documentary, Americans started consuming lots of chicken breasts during some "low fat"/"no fat" diet fad decade, probably the 80s.  So chickens in the US were some how genetically altered to have larger and leaner breasts.  That would explain the size and toughness(no fat) of American chicken breast, and the high protein content(almost all meat, very low to no fat, no bone).

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
It is also possible we just imagine that it tastes better because we paid more for it....except of course food grown or raised on the farm, which was essentially free.

Is it possible that you just imagine that it tastes better because it takes you back to your childhood, growing up in a farm?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
I've noticed that lately at the local Safeway, almost all the produce is labeled organic and costs more. What's up with that?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
I've noticed that lately at the local Safeway, almost all the produce is labeled organic and costs more. What's up with that?

their shareholders have demanded higher profits at the expense of their customers

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:50 PM »
Here in Quebec, there are no standards or laws on organic food. Means you can grow organic but the land right next to you is not. That's not how it's done I assume.... Nobody is checking on the claims of organic so for now, it's open game for dishonest people.
The meat is 3 times the price, impossible to even consider it unless you want to reduce your portions by 66%, lol...
?

keesh1

• Getbig I
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »
great video

thanks

Great video. I never realised that cultivated equals modified. But it really is true. I've never cared about that GMO fuss, and I won't care. Thanks for sharing.