Author Topic: Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?  (Read 25307 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
Most people save them for last.

I've been doing them second, right after benches.

This way I'm still pretty fresh, and, I give my delts some time to recover before shoulder presses.

Sure, I'm in some pretty heavy oxygen debt by the last set, but, I get my wind back after a few minutes.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
Most people save them for last.

I've been doing them second, right after benches.

This way I'm still pretty fresh, and, I give my delts some time to recover before shoulder presses.

Sure, I'm in some pretty heavy oxygen debt by the last set, but, I get my wind back after a few minutes.

first leg movement, end of the workout imo

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
The usual protocol of a full body workout is doing the heavier compound exercises, for the larger body parts, first in the workout. The workout should also be short, to the point and done with serious intent.

Something like:  3 to 4 sets of 8-10 reps of each movement. Some will add calf and abs exercises, but those would be placed at the very end of the workout.

Squats
BB rows
bench
overhead press
BB curls

There is also the classic 5X5 full body workout....5 sets of 5 reps.
Squat
BB row
Bench

Many different ways and different exercise for any full body workout. Keep in mind the general rule of thumb of doing the heavier movement first in line. Give the most attention, and effort, to the bigger growing exercise like the full squat. Or even Dl to stat a workout.

Good luck

F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
The usual protocol of a full body workout is doing the heavier compound exercises, for the larger body parts, first in the workout. The workout should also be short, to the point and done with serious intent.

Something like:  3 to 4 sets of 8-10 reps of each movement. Some will add calf and abs exercises, but those would be placed at the very end of the workout.

Squats
BB rows
bench
overhead press
BB curls

There is also the classic 5X5 full body workout....5 sets of 5 reps.
Squat
BB row
Bench

Many different ways and different exercise for any full body workout. Keep in mind the general rule of thumb of doing the heavier movement first in line. Give the most attention, and effort, to the bigger growing exercise like the full squat. Or even Dl to stat a workout.

Good luck

if i squat first the rest of the workout is boned

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
I have use a full body routines many times. They are very effective but they are brutal. It's not a beginners routine and split routines are easier.

You should work the largest body parts first when you have the most amount of energy down to the smallest. It's just common sense and that's was always emphasized by Arthur Jones. So squats should be first unless a power exercise is used such as cleans and snatches. An exemption is used if two pressing exercises are back to back.

The whole body routine that I used looked like this. No warm ups listed. Sets to failure done twice to three times a week.

Power cleans 3 x 3
squats 2 x 8 then 1x1
lunges 1 x 8
standing leg curl 2 x 12

flat dumbbell press 2 x 8

pull ups 2 xmax
Low v handle seated cable row 2 x 12

military press 2 x 8
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10

barbell curls 2 x 10
weighted dips 2 x 10

hanging leg raise 2 x max
ab pulley crunches 2 x 25

standing calf raise 2 x 15

neck and grip work.

I would do this workout 6 times. I would see what my goal was at the end of 6 workouts and back off the weight 5lbs to 10lbs a workout from my goal. So if my goal was 300lbs for 8 reps on workout six then the first weight used would be 250lbs. Monday 250lbs, Wednesday 260, and Friday 270.  It wouldn't matter if monday was too light. It will soon get hard enough and proper form and range of motion will make it hard. After the six workouts I would completely change the exercises for another 6 workout goal. Effective but brutal. See how you feel compared to doing a split. Fatigue is systemic and not localized to the muscle worked. It's a superior way to train.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
I've been doing full body workouts for about 2 weeks now.
I've worked out for 30 years and have never done full body in one day this is a change

I do legs last in the workout and most days I do just one set of squats after having done 2 sets of leg extensions and 2 sets of leg press (after warm up on both) and then one set of squats for 12-15 reps.

The sequence I do is

Chest/Back - alternate so  a set of incline and then a set of pullups as an example
Delts -
Bis/Tris - supersetted like chest and back
Quads  
Hams  
Calves
Forearms
Abs (this is the one thing I will skip sometimes)

The workout takes about 2 hours but I'm liking it a lot so far
I will usually use rest pause or drop/strip sets on the last set of the last exercise for each bodypart

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »
Here is how I set mine up

Workout A
Barbell Rows
Db shoulder press
Reverse lunges
Barbell curls
Incline crunches

Workout B
Bench press
Weighted pull ups
Romanian deadlifts
Rope press downs
Standing calf raises

Workout C
Front squats
Close grip incline press
One arm rows
Rear delt raises
Hanging leg raises

I will switch the excercises and the order once I cant make progress anymore.

Its not the traditional full body split but I always do a press, back, and a lower body movement every workout.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
After doing 3x per week full body workout for about 3 weeks I switched it to 1 day on (still full body) and 2 days off and this seems to be a perfect rest interval for me (at least for now).   

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »
Yeah, a lot of men will do Monday and Thursday full body workouts. And repeat again the following Monday. Gives that extra boost to rest/recovery time and progress seems more steady from workout to workout. Even keeps the interest higher when hitting the gym again.

Good Luck.
F

scottt

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
One on two off full body has worked well for me. I work the same way so its perfect for me.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
Squats = Power

Power comes first.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
Steve Reeves and Leroy Colbert  both put them last.

I've been doing full body 3x a week again and I always do them last

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

if i squat first the rest of the workout is boned

Depends on how often you squat and how used you are to either volume/intensity. Once you squat frequently and don't go overboard on volume you should be fine. I work-up daily to 420-440 for a single and then drop down to 405-415 for 3x3 working sets. This seems to work for me in building strength (still progressing) and does not have a severe impact on the rest of my training.

Also, keep in mind that the squat is a whole-body exercise, if you do it after having trained for example your back, you run the risk of injury due to tightness or lack of tightness. Might not be relevant for you, but this is what I have found throughout the years.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
Depends on how often you squat and how used you are to either volume/intensity. Once you squat frequently and don't go overboard on volume you should be fine. I work-up daily to 420-440 for a single and then drop down to 405-415 for 3x3 working sets. This seems to work for me in building strength (still progressing) and does not have a severe impact on the rest of my training.

Also, keep in mind that the squat is a whole-body exercise, if you do it after having trained for example your back, you run the risk of injury due to tightness or lack of tightness. Might not be relevant for you, but this is what I have found throughout the years.

It depends for me?

Dumbass

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »

It depends for me?

Dumbass

Yea, depends for you too.
Asshole.

Anyways, post was more directed at Lizzy than at you. Just happens I replied to yours.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 06:48:52 PM »
Yea, depends for you too.
Asshole.

Anyways, post was more directed at Lizzy than at you. Just happens I replied to yours.

You must be new to the Internet.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »

You must be new to the Internet.

You must be used to guzzling cum.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »
Full Body workouts I always alternate Deadlifts with Squats but Both are too much in one workout. Only exception being Squats and Stiff Deads for Hammies if needed. I like..

Incline bench
BB rows(curl grip)
Clean and press
BB Squats

This was my workout today 3 sets per ex 8-10 reps. Strength is getting better.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 08:06:30 AM »
Settle down fellas.

I would do squats first or second in a full body routine. Towards the end seems like you might make yourself more prone to injury.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
Settle down fellas.

I would do squats first or second in a full body routine. Towards the end seems like you might make yourself more prone to injury.

Apparently it depends.

I think somebody's wearing adult Diapers

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »
Don´t buy this theory of doing squats first because you are full of energy..etc. Legs last after say clean and press and upper body. you are warmed up and ready. I think you are LESS prone to injury this way. Infact i like doing leg work after cardio sometimes as blood is pumping round my body and my tendons,ligaments are all ready for leg press/squats.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 06:55:26 AM »
I suppose if you are using pre-teen girl weights you could do squats after your upper body is fatigued, cause there's a really good chance you'll lose form, lean forward and hurt yourself doing squats later in the routine.

But to each his own. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
The more serious heavy compound exercises, like squats or DL's will certainly boost the metabolism greatly, which in return releases growth chemicals/hormones into the blood stream; hence the muscle cells themselves become larger, with strength also increasing.. The squat & DL are whole body movements, from the feet to the neck.

Some have used only the squat or DL as a one exercise workout (no other exercises in that workout) and found muscular gains in the chest, back and even arms. Stimulating  natural HGH are a factor here.  Squats or DL require a lot of expended energy if done with serious intent. Reason why they should be done as a first exercise in any full body, short workout plan, to take full advantage of their benefits. Having them at the end of a full body workout is self defeating, because full justice can not be done to these exercises.

Might be a surprise to some, but even higher reps with the squats and DL's can produce wonderful results. Some of my best gains were with heavy 20 rep breathing squats. Also used this method with DL's, Hack BB squats. The ultimate (my veiw only) is the squat clean and jerk-press, from 12 to 20 reps. Think your in cardio shape, than give this one exercise a serious try.  Might be surprises.

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
I suppose if you are using pre-teen girl weights you could do squats after your upper body is fatigued, cause there's a really good chance you'll lose form, lean forward and hurt yourself doing squats later in the routine.

But to each his own. :)
Steve Reeves did quite well thank you. However thank you for your words of wisdom...

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
Steve Reeves did quite well thank you. However thank you for your words of wisdom...
I'm happy for him. Any links to videos of his workouts?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!