Author Topic: Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?  (Read 25347 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »
I'm happy for him. Any links to videos of his workouts?
do your own research.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
do your own research.
Rather go with personal experience and common sense, something sorely lacking in this thread recently.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »
Rather go with personal experience and common sense, something sorely lacking in this thread recently.
now donīt start getting upset again. As a mod you should set an example and be mature..

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
now donīt start getting upset again. As a mod you should set an example and be mature..
I don't get upset, just pointing out common sense says if your upper body is fatigued late in a full body routine, it's highly doubtful you'll be able to lift with significant weight in squats.
It's quite simple really. But I'm sure it will be over complicated as usual.
K.I.S.S. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
I don't get upset, just pointing out common sense says if your upper body is fatigued late in a full body routine, it's highly doubtful you'll be able to lift with significant weight in squats.
K.I.S.S. ;)
I recommend "Building the classic physique the natural way" by steve reeves. Itīs a matter of opinion.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
K.I.S.S. ;)

Hence why I said it 'depends', something which the likes of WOOO couldn't grasp. Unless you're used to frequent squatting, and being under load, it's not advisable  to do squats secondary to other exercises, as you're indeed more likely to compromise your form due to fatigue.

Especially with squats, you're more likely to fail due to weakness/fatigue elsewhere than the legs. Hence why (usually) you can legpress a whole lot more than you can squat, highlighting the required involvement of a multitude of other musclegroups. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »
Hence why I said it 'depends', something which the likes of WOOO couldn't grasp. Unless you're used to frequent squatting, and being under load, it's not advisable  to do squats secondary to other exercises, as you're indeed more likely to compromise your form due to fatigue.

Especially with squats, you're more likely to fail due to weakness/fatigue elsewhere than the legs. Hence why (usually) you can legpress a whole lot more than you can squat, highlighting the required involvement of a multitude of other musclegroups. 

It depends.

And leg press allows more weight to be used for everyone because you're not lifting it. You're moving it at an angle thereby effectively moving a much smaller percentage... Usually between 40-55 percent.

You're totally out to lunch.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
It depends.

And leg press allows more weight to be used for everyone because you're not lifting it. You're moving it at an angle thereby effectively moving a much smaller percentage... Usually between 40-55 percent.

You're totally out to lunch.

It's alright babe, keep spewing shit cupcake  :-*

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
It's alright babe, keep spewing shit cupcake  :-*

Complete fail. And repeated breaches of training board rules will get you banned.

You've been wrong twice so far in this thread alone and have misposted once.

I'm keeping score for you. Don't trust your ability to count.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »

Complete fail. And repeated breaches of training board rules will get you banned.

You've been wrong twice so far in this thread alone and have misposted once.

I'm keeping score for you. Don't trust your ability to count.

Do elaborate with your infinite wisdom which hasn't contributed anything at all.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
The difference between the weight used in full squats and the leg press is that the all important lower and upper back is braced firmly when doing leg presses, as is the total upper body. With the leg press, the legs are the only group actually in motion (ballistics)

With the squat, the lower back, and total upper body does not have the benefit of any support/brace at all.  The question of balance, shifting of weight and control of the bar on the shoulders becomes that more vital. With squats the whole body (upper and lower) is in motion. In this case the body uses a lot of energy fighting inertia, with less actual strength pushing with the legs/hips & butt. In any case, the lower back can be the key to either the leg press (braced/supported) or squat  (non support). The distance of a weight traveled will also have a greater influence on how much weight is used in a exercise. And the benefits obtained..

Some guys who have only done legs press, and never squats, can crack off 2000lbs for reps on the leg press. But might have trouble squatting 400lbs with full squats. Distance and angle of  effort also play a role.

Personal view...please do what you think is best for you: If wanting rapid muscle growth and strength , would always include squats  (in whatever form) in any serious workout. If a pure BB'er, than throw in lighter squats with leg press as a general pumping up and muscle movement.  

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
Yes...yes... the squat is a great exercise but not a miracle exercise. I myself like volume but i on the other hand like Abbreviated training at times with the squat and deadlift being the nucleus of the workouts. However if we are talking Bodybuilding then itīs not just about exercise selection but also training principles used. I can make 10 kilos feel like 40 if i know what i am doing. A bodybuilder uses his intelligence to overload and TARGET his muscles...adopting a weight lifters attitude will not cut it...

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »
Yes...yes... the squat is a great exercise but not a miracle exercise. I myself like volume but i on the other hand like Abbreviated training at times with the squat and deadlift being the nucleus of the workouts. However if we are talking Bodybuilding then itīs not just about exercise selection but also training principles used. I can make 10 kilos feel like 40 if i know what i am doing. A bodybuilder uses his intelligence to overload and TARGET his muscles...adopting a weight lifters attitude will not cut it...

Spoken like someone that uses youtube to educate himself on how to be a personal trainer.  :-\
As a person progresses, plain old common sense should prevail in figuring out what works for each persons goal and body.

Good luck
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 07:26:49 AM »
Spoken like someone that uses youtube to educate himself on how to be a personal trainer.  :-\
As a person progresses, plain old common sense should prevail in figuring out what works for each persons goal and body.

Good luck
Dude climb down of your high horse.  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
Chaos i have Qualifications which i am sure you would not understand and also i learned this in a Foreign language. Now go to school in Germany and learn Sport und Fitnesskaufmann and we will talk.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
Pretty much agree with Chaos.

With donny, not having any actually hands on experience with serious weight training and obtaining  his "knowledge" from Youtube, while sitting in front of a computer 24/7  (still on the dole?) on his well padded  butt, will give Zero credibility to any qualifications he may boast about. Might as well copy and paste, which he probably does any way.

Why his desperate need for notice is beyond most people on here. I neither like or dislike him, I only has pity for him.  Might be better served if he  sought help through mental health professionals.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
Pretty much agree with Chaos.

With donny (small d for a small man), not having any actually hands on experience with serious weight training and obtaining  his "knowledge" from Youtube, while sitting in front of a computer 24/7  (still on the dole?) on his well padded fat butt, will give Zero credibility to any qualifications he may boast about. Might as well copy and paste, which he probably does any way.

Why his desperate need for notice is beyond most people on here. I neither like or dislike him, I only has pity for him.  Might be better served if he  sought help through mental health professionals.
made me laugh. tell you what JPM post your Qualifications and i will do the same. Also Martial Arts.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Squats = Power

Power comes first.

I agree that power movements should come first in the training session but surely squats are a much better strength training movement?

Jumps, plyometrics, olympic lift variations and maximal effort short sprints are probably better options for training power production. I know that it is good advice anyway to treat the concentric portion of a squat as a power movement (i.e. fast out of the bottom) but unless you are performing dynamic-type speed squat variations, a 5RM in the squat will not be a power movement but largely a strength-based movement.

For me, I find that performing box jumps or broad jumps make me much more explosive out of the bottom of a squat.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
If Squating for leg development Front squats are better..power back squats.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2015, 11:13:16 AM »
Chaos i have Qualifications which i am sure you would not understand and also i learned this in a Foreign language. Now go to school in Germany and learn Sport und Fitnesskaufmann and we will talk.
Maybe the language barrier is why you don't know what you're talking about  ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »
Maybe the language barrier is why you don't know what you're talking about  ???
Language Barrier? Listen you learn what i did in a Foreign language. If you want proof iīll send it to Ron.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
Language Barrier? Listen you learn what i did in a Foreign language. If you want proof iīll send it to Ron.
Post pics of all your competitive bodybuilding clients. Feel free to black out their faces.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
Would think with all his boasting, and never the shy one about bragging about his successes, donny would be overjoyed showing us lesser humans the pictures and video's of his greatness and his ultimate personal workouts. Perhaps a front and back most muscular pose would do.

Lets see: trainer of champion's, conferences with former BB'ing legends, master martial arts guru , boxer...king of the ring and war hero. Congrats for these staggering accomplishments.

God bless donny, the family man, with wife and two son..as he has mentioned a few times. Mentioning many more times is the desire of sniffing the dirty panties worn by young girls.  Unless he erased those past and present post...there all on GB. Donny is good at covering up and  erasing some of his past post. Another one of his accomplishments.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »
It all depends

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 11:40:22 PM »
I agree that power movements should come first in the training session but surely squats are a much better strength training movement?

Jumps, plyometrics, olympic lift variations and maximal effort short sprints are probably better options for training power production. I know that it is good advice anyway to treat the concentric portion of a squat as a power movement (i.e. fast out of the bottom) but unless you are performing dynamic-type speed squat variations, a 5RM in the squat will not be a power movement but largely a strength-based movement.

For me, I find that performing box jumps or broad jumps make me much more explosive out of the bottom of a squat.

Ideally your 1RM squat will look just the same as your 3RM or 5RM. So I don't necessarily agree with squats being largely a strength-based movement, but this is taking into account that in my personal view 'grinding' out reps doesn't contribute much in the long-run to strength training as they're likely to set you up for injuries due to breakdown of form.

Agreed with the rest though.