Author Topic: Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?  (Read 25449 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Squats in a full body routine. When do you do them?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
Ideally your 1RM squat will look just the same as your 3RM or 5RM. So I don't necessarily agree with squats being largely a strength-based movement, but this is taking into account that in my personal view 'grinding' out reps doesn't contribute much in the long-run to strength training as they're likely to set you up for injuries due to breakdown of form.

Agreed with the rest though.

It really depends

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 03:27:05 AM »
Would think with all his boasting, and never the shy one about bragging about his successes, donny would be overjoyed showing us lesser humans the pictures and video's of his greatness and his ultimate personal workouts. Perhaps a front and back most muscular pose would do.

Lets see: trainer of champion's, conferences with former BB'ing legends, master martial arts guru , boxer...king of the ring and war hero. Congrats for these staggering accomplishments.

God bless donny, the family man, with wife and two son..as he has mentioned a few times. Mentioning many more times is the desire of sniffing the dirty panties worn by young girls.  Unless he erased those past and present post...there all on GB. Donny is good at covering up and  erasing some of his past post. Another one of his accomplishments.
Why are you bringing Panties into this? I thought we were talking about Squats. are you still teaching 1 arm chins for Golf training? Your Senior group... ;D You are like a head shrink.. you write long winded posts about nothing. Blah..Blah...Blah...  tomorrow i have a nice meeting with a very elegant,intelligent woman. I will think of you as i remove her panty... ;)

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »

It really depends

It truly does. Had your parents aborted you, we wouldn't have to deal with your dumbass on here.

Yet another great contribution WOOO, keep up the good work. Maybe you'll be released from kindergarten at some stage.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Wonder how much that women will be charging donny..probably get a cheap rate by the minute for him.

Guess his marriage is a bit shaky when donny has to pay for some time with another women. How much will she charge for the dirty panty's I wonder.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 03:59:50 PM »
It truly does. Had your parents aborted you, we wouldn't have to deal with your dumbass on here.

Yet another great contribution WOOO, keep up the good work. Maybe you'll be released from kindergarten at some stage.

::)

Wrong board again champ.

Guess it depends.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »

::)

Wrong board again champ.

Guess it depends.

What is the right board then babe?

Edit:
Actually, scratch that. Nothing useful coming from you.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 02:19:16 AM »
What is the right board then babe?

Edit:
Actually, scratch that. Nothing useful coming from you.

That also depends.

plastic

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »
I split upper body mon and thurs, lower body tues and Friday.  Squats and deadlifts in that order on lowerbody day. Useful reading anything by Charles Poliquin. Rest intervals and time under tension both require scrutiny. My general rule is 90 secs (timed with a stop watch) for upper body. 2 min to 3 mjnutes on lower body depending how huffy puffy i feel toward end of sets for squats. They tap me out. Currently doing 8x8 @ 60% of 1 rep max. Following this protocol for 6 weeks then Will be changjng to 5x5 @ 85% of  1 rep max.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:12 AM »
    I can't do a decent full body routine in one workout. If i try, when i go from either upper body to legs or legs to upper body i feel some dizzyness. I only do either upper body or lower body in one session.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
Question regarding recovery time needed;
How long does it take you guys to recover from highbar/lowbar/frontsquat?
And do you alternate between them (if at all?).

I (highbar)backsquat almost daily with a habbit of frontsquatting maybe twice a week. Now I'm somewhat dabbling with the idea of introducing lowbar squats, but I'm not real familiar with the recovery time needed for heavy(ish) workouts?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

You could do squats first or later in a full-body routine for a few reasons.

One reason is to do the most difficult exercise first when your energy is high.

Another reason to do them first would be if your legs are sub-par and need priority.

Vice-versa if your legs are great (like Steve Reeves) you might do your squats last and give priority to a weaker body part by putting that first.

Steve Reeves' Mr. America routine: http://www.davidgentle.com/ironindex/reeves.htm

"For the chest

Wide grip bench press three x 10 reps.
    Inclined press, arms outward, 3 sets of 12 reps.

For the deltoids (shoulders)

Front raise 3 to 5 sets x 10 reps.

For lats

Overhead downward pull on the lats bar 3 x 12 reps.
    Rowing 3 x 12 reps.
    Cable pulley rowing 3 x 15 reps.

For triceps any extension movement

Using dumbbell with both hands 3 x 10 ,
    Triceps extension 3 x 10, decreasing weights at each set.

For the bicep

incline preacher bench curl, 5 to 6 sets of 10 reps.

For thighs

Front squat on a high block 3 x 15 reps
    Hack squat 3 x 15 reps
    Legs curl4 x 10 reps

For Calves

toe press on the legs machine using high reps and large number of sets and, For lower back

Hyperextensions 4 x 12 reps"

Boban

• Getbig II
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2016, 03:43:28 AM »
Most people save them for last.

I've been doing them second, right after benches.

This way I'm still pretty fresh, and, I give my delts some time to recover before shoulder presses.

Sure, I'm in some pretty heavy oxygen debt by the last set, but, I get my wind back after a few minutes.
Either leave them last or do the first. But I'd go with first.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »
General rule of thumb in lifting is to do the heavier compound exercises first, when full attention and more energy is invested in them.

There is more demand on the body when doing  heavier compound movement like squats, DL's,cleans, etc, because they help set up the metabolism for increases in strength and growth. A high functioning metabolism can release natural body homones, and other related chemicals, into the blood stream and into each cell. A very import element for quicker progressive growth and strength. Doing curls or lateral raises go far in not even coming close to the benefit of heavier compound movements.

With a full body workout, most guy's do too many exercise and too many sets in such a program.  You want a brief and to the point workout, which can be very intense, when approached the correct way. Also want enough time between workouts to allow recovery time, for the CNS. A full body workout is generally set up for 2 or 3 days a week, never more. That would be self defeating.

The old Bill Star full body work (several versions of 3 to 5 exercise each workout) which was know as 5X5's gave some pretty good results in a shorter length of time.  Though Bill Star wan not the first, by any means, to come up with this style of program.  If you do more reps, 10-12 with a more moderate weight for example, than decrease the set to 3-4 per workout. BB'ing is not about how many sets for a body area, but how many total reps are done. Sets only break down the total amount of reps into a more manageable number. Quite a different between 5X5=25 reps and doing 25 straight reps in one set.

The original 20 rep breathing squat program was one of the first. Where pullovers (straight/bent arm) were included after the set of squats. This is a brutal way to train, but added a lot of muscle to men over the years. I made some of my best gains with 20-25 rep breathing squat and the bent arm pullover & press.....he only exercise I did in a workout.

A simple full body workout would be...with 5X5's in mind. Also keeping in mind a brief, but intense, workout.

squats
BB  rows
Bench
Up-right row (EZ bar..if handy)

If insecurity's reach a point that you must to do triceps or biceps (or both) and/or calves, than might suggest 2-3 sets max.  And if you could do those arm exercise a few hours after the main workout, so much the better.

Good Luck.
F