Author Topic: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...  (Read 79813 times)

EastCoastChick

• Getbig III
  • How the f%@k do you post personal pics?
Re: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »
I'm not reading all that shit.

I actually LOL'd

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
Well I know that you know that ( ???) "go heavy" really has no meaning at all when applied to how someone should lift weights when looking to increase muscle hypertrophy. But yes usually people tend to think go heavy is to use a weight that you can barely move for 5 or so reps have your spotter do most of the work and maybe scream a few times for that extra umf and then they go home and over eat and get fat.

Well. if you are say a 400lb bench presser and spend six months training fast and light with say 225,  I can guarantee you that if you decide to get under 400 again you will be crushed.  That's just the way it is.  Even Frank Zane, who was not a super heavy trainer said that you should take as much time as you need between sets to be able to give a full effort for your next set.  I think he knew his stuff.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
We need before/after pics for validity or it's just one white mans opinion.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2014, 11:15:17 PM »
haha still on hormones

Brutal wtf are shoes doing on the faux fireplace complete with a stuffed bird  ;D

you are such a god damned romanian sex offender sev

TA looks good in that photo above

but that is a 120% natural physique you twinkie

almard

• Getbig II
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
Been training this ways for years. I always joke that when people see me working out they think I'm warming up the whole time. I rarely lift at a gym but when I do I usually get stared at not solely based on my size but because of the light weight I use compared to people half my size who throw enormous amounts of weight on the bar. Tempo and rest periods are pretty much all you need to understand for one to grow from resistance exercise. Remember though that muscle size does have a limit so gains will eventually stop.

jim,

Not to get out of topic. can you share with us  your thought ( in different thread), AAs, diet principles for gym rat. someone not plaining to step one stage.. just to look good \ healthy...

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »
You are quite right that this is, and was intended as, an insult. But context is everything. I made that remark in response to an out of nowhere personal insult from No One. His implication that I, and others (as he has made this claim several times), are condemned to a life of mediocrity because we don't do what he does. The implication by that comment is clearly that he doesn't consider himself mediocre but in fact better than others and feels qualified to give advice and training theories on a take or leave it terms and considers his word as evidence enough. I begged to differ. He may consider himself exceptional but I don't. And I have more evidence to support my position than he does his, i.e., he has done nothing to merit being a expert on anything.

Nothing personal, Pellius, by why do the older folk express themselves at such length? One, two sentences, done. Points are valid, my friend, but brevity is an ally.

dustin

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2014, 01:15:41 AM »
Been training this ways for years. I always joke that when people see me working out they think I'm warming up the whole time. I rarely lift at a gym but when I do I usually get stared at not solely based on my size but because of the light weight I use compared to people half my size who throw enormous amounts of weight on the bar. Tempo and rest periods are pretty much all you need to understand for one to grow from resistance exercise. Remember though that muscle size does have a limit so gains will eventually stop.

Very succinct. I think it was during a Cutler video where I fell asleep and woke up to hear him say something about quality time under tension. Without good momentum and quality time under tension, you're not stimulating your muscles to their full potential.

I do a 5 day split, but do a full body workout as well. I hit my target muscle the hardest, redo my previously trained muscle (full workout, only warm up weights] and a light circuit for everything else. If that makes sense...

I used to think it was a ticket to flattening out until my body got used to it. I started training non stop since before summer pretty much. My wife studies on the stair stepper so I'm also on that thing once or twice a day. Keeps your calves super jacked and I think it helps with recovery. I don't get tired from the stepper anymore.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »
We need before/after pics for validity or it's just one white mans opinion.

Someone gets it.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »
Nothing personal, Pellius, by why do the older folk express themselves at such length? One, two sentences, done. Points are valid, my friend, but brevity is an ally.

Ron pays me by the word and I never want to miss an opportunity to spite CalvinH.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
I remember when I first watched Coleman's "Unbelievable" vid. For chest he did about five sets of flat bench, about 5 inclines then declines and dumbbell flies. The same routine that has been, and still is, done for generations on end.

With genetics and lots hormones it doesn't really matter what you do. You'll be huge. Without genetics and lots of hormones it doesn't matter what you do. You'll be, well, mediocre.

Everyone can get better and improve. Only a precious few can be champs.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
Dr. Walczak, the go to doctor in the 1970s-80s in So Cal and whom probably only Basile and Coach will remember, told me that if you know what you are doing and follow everything to a "T" you will max out naturally in about 3 years with about 90% of your gains coming in the first year. After that you can play with body composition but as far as gaining lean muscle... ain't gong to happen. Your body does not like muscle and keeps the minimal amount necessary for it's needs. Give it the slightest excuse and it will get rid of it.

No exercise routine will make much of a difference. Because No One thought of something that he hasn't thought of before he assumes, in his typical self-absorbed and conceited manner, that nobody has thought of it and tried it previously. There are millions and millions of people across generations who have been experimenting with training protocols.

He has come up with nothing new and as with previous trainers before him will experience little to nothing in gains. The only thing that will matter is whether he ups his dose or not. Put away the vials and needles for 3 months and then see how innovative and productive your training methods are. 

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »
I'm not reading all that shit.

You follow every word that I write. You have research my post history in detail. But I get it that you are easing out of this thread. I, too, am growing weary of bullying you around. I trust that you will learn your lesson about staying out of issues that wasn't directed at you or even concerned you.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »

lol dude you're a bit of a headcase eh? like I actually think your a good dude. but you have waaaay to much time on your hands and way to high an opinion of your own importance if you think I'm going to read all that shit.

so keep writing your 1000 word monologues. it gives me great joy to know im deep enough in someone's head that when I open a thread all I see is a full page of 'pelvis' quoting my posts. lol like holy fuck dude. the only one who cares is you. and your looking like a retard right now.

just trying to help.
b

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
I like pellius but I also scrolled over his treatises on muscular development on this page.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
Dr. Walczak, the go to doctor in the 1970s-80s in So Cal and whom probably only Basile and Coach will remember, told me that if you know what you are doing and follow everything to a "T" you will max out naturally in about 3 years with about 90% of your gains coming in the first year. After that you can play with body composition but as far as gaining lean muscle... ain't gong to happen. Your body does not like muscle and keeps the minimal amount necessary for it's needs. Give it the slightest excuse and it will get rid of it.

No exercise routine will make much of a difference. Because No One thought of something that he hasn't thought of before he assumes, in his typical self-absorbed and conceited manner, that nobody has thought of it and tried it previously. There are millions and millions of people across generations who have been experimenting with training protocols.

He has come up with nothing new and as with previous trainers before him will experience little to nothing in gains. The only thing that will matter is whether he ups his dose or not. Put away the vials and needles for 3 months and then see how innovative and productive your training methods are.  

Well, Pellius, ignore the comprehension limited fellows here. I didn't talk with Dr Walczak much but he was on holiday in Vancouver in the summer of 1970. I was still looking good after winning my title at the end of May. He told me if I came to LA and went under his supervision with Decadurabolin that I could be Mr Universe in 6 months. No thanks to that as those titles and trophies weren't more important than my health. Besides, Arnold and Sergio had arrived and pushed bodybuilding to a whole new level. I mean, no matter what most of us did we were never going to be as big as those two giants.

I did come up with something new re training. As long as I can remember the idea of training was to break down the tissue and then wait until the body adapted by growing bigger and stronger muscles. We followed Dr Hans Selye's stress model. What evolved was to train bodyparts twice a week. We used to train upper body MWF and legs TThSa. So we had split routines that did this. When Arthur Jones arrived around 1969 the whole scene changed and we all tried to be more efficient by doing less sets. I still clung to the idea put forward by Larry Scott. He said if you could pump your arms bigger than ever you would grow muscle. So what I did was try to see how few sets I could do to reach the maximum pump. It was about 7 sets. I totally missed what I had to do and my arms never did measure 18 inches cold.

In 1999 I thought I would have a go at seeing how big I could get my arms. No drugs, of course. That stopped in 1975 and only 2 Dianabol tablets were used. What I discovered was that when I did something that made my arms larger they were sore for several days. Ah, ha, I thought, what if I kept them sore?! Up until then just about everyone believed you grew after the soreness went. In other words, we were supposed to let the muscle recover then retrain them. The problem with doing that is we have to overcome the repeated bout effect and it takes much more of whatever you were doing to generate more hypertrophy. I concluded that DOMS could be used to guage when hypertrophy was occurring. If a workout didn't generate significant DOMS then I wasn't going to grow. I would stay the same which is what 90% of what bodybuilders do every time they train. Few keep growing.

For a month I kept both arms and calves sore. I was growing 1/10 inch per workout and in one month put an inch on my arms and over an inch on my calves. Unfortunately for me I got sore elbows from having my elbows on the pads. Since then I never let my elbows touch any pads. I injured my Achilles tendons from doing too many ballistic movements with 700 pounds on the calf machine. Gosh, I really got strong quickly. However, sooner or later you enter the danger zone where injuries can happen. I trained every 3rd day to give the connective tissue a chance to heal. The muscles seemed fine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2014, 11:23:25 PM »
When I trained calves for the month I got to the point where I didn't rest much between sets. I would finish one set then so a short circle twice then do another set. Over and over and over.

Perhaps the rest was about 10 seconds. I never looked at my watch. The muscle recovered enough in that short time to allow me to get about the same reps with the heavy load. I kept

the load constant after the warm up sets.

For arms I did supersets for triceps then biceps. Just enough rest to go back and forth between the machines. Then I would rest a couple of minutes before the next superset. After the 4th

superset I couldn't do as many reps unless I rested much longer. My goal was to repeat set after set with the same resistance to failure. Stopping before failure didn't seem sensible because

I always believed you have to do something extraordinary to cause the muscles to grow larger. So I would start my working sets at a weight I could just get 20 reps with. By the 4th set

the reps were down to about 12. That was still sufficient to generate a good pump.

Somehow the idea of using lighter weights and virtually no rest between sets doesn't seem right to me. Your body will surely adapt to these protocols but I doubt the light weights will

stimulate much hypertrophy.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2014, 11:27:58 PM »
Well, Pellius, spare the comprehension limited fellows here. I didn't talk with Dr Walczak much but he was on holiday in Vancouver in the summer of 1970. I was still looking good after winning my title at the end of May. He told me if I came to LA and went under his supervision with Decadurabolin that I could be Mr Universe in 6 months. No thanks to that as those titles and trophies weren't more important than my health. Besides, Arnold and Sergio had arrived and pushed bodybuilding to a whole new level. I mean, no matter what most of us did we were never going to be as big as those two giants.

I did come up with something new re training. As long as I can remember the idea of training was to break down the tissue and then wait until the body adapted by growing bigger and stronger muscles. We followed Dr Hans Selye's stress model. What evolved was to train bodyparts twice a week. We used to train upper body MWF and legs TThSa. So we had split routines that did this. When Arthur Jones arrived around 1969 the whole scene changed and we all tried to be more efficient by doing less sets. I still clung to the idea put forward by Larry Scott. He said if you could pump your arms bigger than ever you would grow muscle. So what I did was try to see how few sets I could do to reach the maximum pump. It was about 7 sets. I totally missed what I had to do and my arms never did measure 18 inches cold.

In 1999 I thought I would have a go at seeing how big I could get my arms. No drugs, of course. That stopped in 1975 and only 2 Dianabol tablets were used. What I discovered was that when I did something that made my arms larger they were sore for several days. Ah, ha, I thought, what if I kept them sore?! Up until then just about everyone believed you grew after the soreness went. In other words, we were supposed to let the muscle recover then retrain them. The problem with doing that is we have to overcome the repeated bout effect and it takes much more of whatever you were doing to generate more hypertrophy. I concluded that DOMS could be used to guage when hypertrophy was occurring. If a workout didn't generate significant DOMS then I wasn't going to grow. I would stay the same which is what 90% of what bodybuilders do every time they train. Few keep growing.

For a month I kept both arms and calves sore. I was growing 1/10 inch per workout and in one month put an inch on my arms and over an inch on my calves. Unfortunately for me I got sore elbows from having my elbows on the pads. Since then I never let my elbows touch any pads. I injured my Achilles tendons from doing too many ballistic movements with 700 pounds on the calf machine. Gosh, I really got strong quickly. However, sooner or later you enter the danger zone where injuries can happen. I trained every 3rd day to give the connective tissue a chance to heal. The muscles seemed fine.

Perhaps you'd be so kind to do likewise.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2014, 12:37:42 AM »
Perhaps you'd so kind to do likewise.

If some of you guys can't absorb what is written in a couple of paragraphs you are unlikely to grasp the details of any theory of hypertrophy.

No worries, just continue to believe what you do now. If you don't make any gains just say it is because you are not on the gear. If you are on

then blame your genetics.

almard

• Getbig II
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:00 AM »
When I trained calves for the month I got to the point where I didn't rest much between sets. I would finish one set then so a short circle twice then do another set. Over and over and over.

Perhaps the rest was about 10 seconds. I never looked at my watch. The muscle recovered enough in that short time to allow me to get about the same reps with the heavy load. I kept

For arms I did supersets for triceps then biceps. Just enough rest to go back and forth between the machines. Then I would rest a couple of minutes before the next superset. After the 4th

superset I couldn't do as many reps unless I rested much longer. My goal was to repeat set after set with the same resistance to failure. Stopping before failure didn't seem sensible because

I always believed you have to do something extraordinary to cause the muscles to grow larger. So I would start my working sets at a weight I could just get 20 reps with. By the 4th set

the reps were down to about 12. That was still sufficient to generate a good pump.

Somehow the idea of using lighter weights and virtually no rest between sets doesn't seem right to me. Your body will surely adapt to these protocols but I doubt the light weights will

You don't have to use light wights. go heavier. I do follow the no one style for months with great succeed. I use wight I can hit 10 reps. then my reps go lower 8, 6, 5, 3...and I'm stronger than ever. with half the AAs doses....infact. all what i use is 40 anvar ED.... :)

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »

vince your missing the point.

the lighter weight/ no rest is strictly to allow you to train your whole body in around an hour, get a massive pump and get the fuck out of the gym so you can hit it again tomorrow, and the day after that and the day after that. and every day after those. and recover enough between sessions to do it.

thats where the growth is. not the duration of the workouts. not the time under tension. not the weight. the FREQUENCY OF THE SESSIONS. constant pounding of the fiber forcing the adaptation necessary for it to strengthen, become more efficient, and grow.

the no rest/ compression is simply just one aspect of it. and i'll address the 'lighter weight' comment here as well.

i didnt say train lighter. i said to use the same number of sets and reps your using now. if you have to reduce the weight to do that your still taxing the fiber to failure regardless of weight so weight becomes relative at this point.

this isnt about just training with no rest. no rest enables you to train your body in an hour and gtfo the gym go home rest and force the adaptations necessary to come back tomorrow and hit it again. the frequency- training the whole body every day is where the changes are made.

b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
You don't have to use light wights. go heavier. I do follow the no one style for months with great succeed. I use wight I can hit 10 reps. then my reps go lower 8, 6, 5, 3...and I'm stronger than ever. with half the AAs doses....infact. all what i use is 40 anvar ED.... :)

fuck man thats what im trying to tell these guys and its like banging my fucking head on a rock in here.

jesus christ its frustrating.

im at a point where im not even going to bother posting shit like this any longer. its just not worth my time debating and arguing something that i know works, that others say works. to a bunch of people who have never tried it that say it wont work.

im going thru the same thing in my diet thread. ffs. unreal. people are fucked.
b

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »
If some of you guys can't absorb what is written in a couple of paragraphs you are unlikely to grasp the details of any theory of hypertrophy.

No worries, just continue to believe what you do now. If you don't make any gains just say it is because you are not on the gear. If you are on

then blame your genetics.

Do you have even a single example of someone benefitting from your breakthrough theories or overly complicated mousetraps?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »
lol dude you're a bit of a headcase eh? like I actually think your a good dude. but you have waaaay to much time on your hands and way to high an opinion of your own importance if you think I'm going to read all that shit.

so keep writing your 1000 word monologues. it gives me great joy to know im deep enough in someone's head that when I open a thread all I see is a full page of 'pelvis' quoting my posts. lol like holy fuck dude. the only one who cares is you. and your looking like a retard right now.

just trying to help.

Nice back pedaling. I understand. You bit off more than you can chew. A bully always meets his match someday.

Now tell the story again about how you kept your shirt on at a pool party to prove how you are the most modest and humblest guy one could ever meet. And how you actually think about these things. That one will never get old. Also, keep peppering your responses with "lol". It proves how intelligent you are and why you are so impatient with the plebs.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
Well, Pellius, ignore the comprehension limited fellows here. I didn't talk with Dr Walczak much but he was on holiday in Vancouver in the summer of 1970. I was still looking good after winning my title at the end of May. He told me if I came to LA and went under his supervision with Decadurabolin that I could be Mr Universe in 6 months. No thanks to that as those titles and trophies weren't more important than my health. Besides, Arnold and Sergio had arrived and pushed bodybuilding to a whole new level. I mean, no matter what most of us did we were never going to be as big as those two giants.

I think what is often missed, ignore or not considered by bbers is that when the body adapts to resistance training this doesn't necessarily mean that adaptive response is muscle hypertrophy. Arnold mentioned in his first bio how they went up into the mountains and did 60 sets of squats. Benny Podda said that he and Ray Mentzer would have "squat parties" in which they would literally squat for hours on end through the night.

I imgine they would have adapted in the sense that they could endure such training better than when they first started. But did this translate into an increase in muscle size? Though I personally thought Arnold had great quads in his prime, it was often considered a weak point and I imgaine if 60 sets were productive he would have continued to use this protocol.

Again I look at Coleman's training. He did nothing special but push himself. Just basic exercises using questionable form yet he built more quality muscle mass than any human being thus far. I looked at Jay's training. Same monotous routine that seem to rarely change with a more "going through the motions" mentality than Coleman yet was a multiple Mr. O.

As Thomas Sowell from Stanford University once remarked, "So much of a person's fate is determine on the day he is born."

Where you are born? With what you are born with? To whom you are born from?.... The list is endless.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »

Well, the whole idea, at least as I first was made to understand it, is that the reason we even use weights/resistance is to provide what was then termed as and "over load" to the muscle. Making it do something it has not done before or as Jones put it, "Attempt the momentarily impossible."

I idea of simply performing a movement and getting a pump is secondary. I can pump up my biceps by repeatedly flexing and relaxing then. No one would argue this would stimulate any adaptive response. There is no resistance. That's why I always considered crunches pretty useless in developing your abs. Sits-ups on a decline I felt was much better if you are trying to increase the size and strength of your abdominals.