Author Topic: Any Vets in here? Today was my last day in the navy  (Read 25436 times)

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
Any Vets in here? Today was my last day in the navy
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »
Hey guys any vets here on get big?  This was a long time coming but Today was my last day after 9 years of service due to a knee injury.
Anyone have any advice? Im already signed up for school as I know there is no way i can be competitive in the job market with out one

Btw the alpha beard is already underway

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
Re: Any Vets in here? Today was my last day in the navy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »
Well done! Good luck in the future...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:22:26 PM »
Hey guys any vets here on get big?  This was a long time coming but Today was my last day after 9 years of service due to a knee injury.
Anyone have any advice? Im already signed up for school as I know there is no way i can be competitive in the job market with out one

If your knee injury is service related, I hope you kept all documentation regarding treatment and diagnosis. You might be eligible for some service related disability benefits, including money for your education. A lot of Vet's (about 66 %) never collect the benefits they are due simply because they don't know how to apply for them.

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
If your knee injury is service related, I hope you kept all documentation regarding treatment and diagnosis. You might be eligible for some service related disability benefits, including money for your education. A lot of Vet's (about 66 %) never collect the benefits they are due simply because they don't know how to apply for them.

When I did the VA disability claim before i got out, I reported everything...  Ended up with 90% disability rating. which comes out to 1850 a month... So im very blessed. Im also moving back to Texas  San Antonio to be exact to go to UT of san antonio for engineering. Texas has great vet benefits

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:34 PM »
What did you do in the Navy?  Maybe you're a good candidate for a GS job?

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »
What did you do in the Navy?  Maybe you're a good candidate for a GS job?

I was a cryptologist , Worked with the RF spectrum  I did job  hunting for about 4 months, With out a engineering degree places like BAE, Rayteon and any GS job like NSA are just not going to happen  at least on the pay scale I want. Im 26 with no kids and a full ride to school i figured now the time to get it done

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:50:18 PM »
When I did the VA disability claim before i got out, I reported everything...  Ended up with 90% disability rating. which comes out to 1850 a month... So im very blessed. Im also moving back to Texas  San Antonio to be exact to go to UT of san antonio for engineering. Texas has great vet benefits

Good for you. You are a smart guy. You should be fine.

My son-in-law was medically boarded out of military service early this year with close to full disability. He served for 15 years. Not only are his knees and back shot, he suffered a traumatic neck injury as a result of an exploded IED during one of his three tours in Iraq, which causes severe migraines. He is also being treated of PTSD. He got lucky when the mess hall in Mosul was blown up because he was in his room and not in the mess hall eating like his buddies, some of who lost their lives, were.

He is currently working on getting his bachelor's degree. He has about two years left.

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:54:40 PM »
Good for you. You are a smart guy. You should be fine.

My son-in-law was medically boarded out of military service early this year with close to full disability. He served for 15 years. Not only are his knees and back shot, he suffered a traumatic neck injury as a result of an exploded IED during one of his three tours in Iraq, which causes severe migraines. He is also being treated of PTSD. He got lucky when the mess hall in Mosul was blown up because he was in his room and not in the mess hall eating like his buddies, some of who lost their lives, were.

He is currently working on getting his bachelor's degree. He has about two years left.

Wow man thank him for his service, I to suffer from some issues due to the 3 deployment i went on... Its somthing that i have to work on every day... Time makes it easier but its something ill always have to work on

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:02:46 AM »
When you go for job interviews dont tell them you are a bodybuilder.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
Wow man thank him for his service, I to suffer from some issues due to the 3 deployment i went on... Its somthing that i have to work on every day... Time makes it easier but its something ill always have to work on

Yeah. My son-in-law barely talks about his experiences while deployed. Little bits and pieces come out, but it is clearly hard for him to talk about it. Of course it might help if he could.

His SSD court date is tomorrow. I hope it goes well for him. He also suffers short term memory loss. Thing is, you would never guess that he has such an array of disabilities if you met him. He's really a great guy. He is very easy going and he's an amazing husband and father too.

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »
Yeah. My son-in-law barely talks about his experiences while deployed. Little bits and pieces come out, but it is clearly hard for him to talk about it. Of course it might help if he could.

His SSD court date is tomorrow. I hope it goes well for him. He also suffers short term memory loss. Thing is, you would never guess that he has such an array of disabilities if you met him. He's really a great guy. He is very easy going and he's an amazing husband and father too.

Im sorry all that happened to him, I know its hard to talk about things but if he was able to get in a group of guys that have been through the same thing that will get him to open up. 

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
Doesnt every American ex soilder suffer from some kind of mental problem when the leave the force.

It certainly sems that way.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »

Pre-paid legal. It's the future, bro.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
Doesnt every American ex soilder suffer from some kind of mental problem when the leave the force.

It certainly sems that way.

And why would you think that?

My son was in the military for 22 years before he retired. He now works for the U.S. government doing a similar job to the one he had when he was in the service.

He was never deployed to a war zone because his MOS was in logistics which is a desk job, so to speak. He does not suffer from PTSD, nor does he have any other military or non-military related disabilities.

My son-in-law's MOS was a forward observer which put him on the front line of all the action. The mortality rate for forward observers is very high.

Simple Simon

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »

My son was in the military for 22 years before he retired. He now works for the U.S. government doing a similar job to the one he had when he was in the service.

He was never deployed to a war zone because his MOS was in logistics which is a desk job, so to speak. He does not suffer from PTSD, nor does he have any other military or non-military related disabilities.

My son-in-law's MOS was a forward observer which put him on the front line of all the action. The mortality rate for forward observers is very high.

Why do you go all around the houses to make a point that has absolutly nothing to do with the post you quoted?

You must know exactly what Im refering to unless you are a troll or a total idiot.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »

30% is probably why he said "every." Not all, of course, but pretty damn high.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/21/nearly-30-of-vets-treated-by-v-a-have-ptsd.html

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/21/nearly-30-of-vets-treated-by-v-a-have-ptsd.html

If you invent conditions people will have them.

Soilders these days get deployed in active service for a few months and home again for a break.
I listened to an old guy on the radio th other week talking about his wartime experience, he was in Africa for 5 years straight.
He said "when we got back we just got on with it"

Everyones after a payout these days.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »
If you invent conditions people will have them.

Soilders these days get deployed in active service for a few months and home again for a break.
I listened to an old guy on the radio th other week talking about his wartime experience, he was in Africa for 5 years straight.
He said "when we got back we just got on with it"

Everyones after a payout these days.

I don't fault these guys, but yeah, the older fellas were tough as nails. Lots of those guys had a horrible time forgetting, though, but we didn't address such things back then.

I wasn't considering the $$ angle at all, just the stats.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 12:47:57 AM »
I was a cryptologist , Worked with the RF spectrum  I did job  hunting for about 4 months, With out a engineering degree places like BAE, Rayteon and any GS job like NSA are just not going to happen  at least on the pay scale I want. Im 26 with no kids and a full ride to school i figured now the time to get it done
you are still young at 26...most Doors are still open to you. Good luck.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »

Fucking Pathetic that the government is wasting money for "disability" for you.  You aren`t fucking disabled.  You are a competitive roiding bodybuilder for fucks sake.  There are real people who are disabled and need the money.  Not you.  You should be ashamed of yourself honestly.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
Why do you go all around the houses to make a point that has absolutly nothing to do with the post you quoted?

You must know exactly what Im refering to unless you are a troll or a total idiot.

Frankly it seems like you are the one acting like an idiot here. You asked/suggested, " doesn't every American soldier suffer from mental illness." Obviously that is not the case. It is the kind of thing an uninformed idiot would say. I merely sited examples of two people I personally know whose circumstances answer your question by exampling that not "every soldier" suffers mental illness.

If you read about PTSD you will discover that it is not clear that it is a mental illness so much as a condition caused by trauma.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 01:05:12 AM »
Fucking Pathetic that the government is wasting money for "disability" for you.  You aren`t fucking disabled.  You are a competitive roiding bodybuilder for fucks sake.  There are real people who are disabled and need the money.  Not you.  You should be ashamed of yourself honestly.

We have been agreeing on a lot of things recently.

This is not one of them... its one thing to do a little juice, some leg extensions, and have decent legs. That doesnt mean that your knee is good to go at all.

He has had very serious surgical procedures done on the knee. Its legit fucked up. It was fucked up in the service of OUR country, he deserves to be compensated for it.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 01:06:32 AM »
if you worked with RF spectrum, i would think that a job at Army South or one of the bases near SA would be easy to get.  But either way good luck.  But one warning, I don't know if you've been told how the GI bill works, but I found out the hard way.  It goes by months used, unless it has changed.  For example, (I know you have lots more) lets say your contract says you get $24,000 for a max of $1,000 a month for 24 months if you go full time.  Then you get the full amount.  But If you only half (part) time you only get $500 a month.  Well you don't get that other 500 back.  So if you only go part time for 24 months, you used it all up and only got part of the money.  So look into it and be sure, get everything you deserve.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 01:10:32 AM »
Congrats Navy Mike.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 01:11:17 AM »

You are right 30% is pretty darn high. -Makes one wonder why folks decide to serve. If they knew these odds going in, they might think twice about their decision to join.

30% is nowhere near "every" though. Every means all, not 1/3.