Author Topic: Dumbell shoulder press  (Read 11600 times)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Dumbell shoulder press
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 04:04:07 AM »
ive had a shoulder injury from 3 decades of going all the way down to my traps on behind the neck presses,man i got away with it up to about a year ago then it was hell.couldnt do no upper body at all for months on end
R

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 04:40:24 AM »
ive had a shoulder injury from 3 decades of going all the way down to my traps on behind the neck presses,man i got away with it up to about a year ago then it was hell.couldnt do no upper body at all for months on end
I know a Trainer in the Gym where i work who does them regularly on the smith machine. Shows them to the Kids in the Gym. I tell them not to do them. The Trainer in question is 20 years behind in his thinking.. not surprising he is ex DDR East German. most i have met at my age (48) are like this. He gets away with it but some of the young skinny kids will not.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 04:47:03 AM »
i do front shoulder presses now on smith some days,i go up to 275 for 6-8 and then back to 225 for sets of 12, believe it or not in the 90,s i was doing almost 245 free weight behind the neck presses for 8 reps.i was always strong on pushing movement but alot weaker on shit like rowing,dont know why but thats the way it is. yesterday for chest i did 5 sets with the 100lb dumbells for sets of 20 on chest, i bet a guy 20 bucks cause he said how many u going for i said 20 n he laughed,i said u wanna bet n i won 20 bucks.i went up to 150lb dumbells for 6 reps,i got it on camera
R

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »
i do front shoulder presses now on smith some days,i go up to 275 for 6-8 and then back to 225 for sets of 12, believe it or not in the 90,s i was doing almost 245 free weight behind the neck presses for 8 reps.i was always strong on pushing movement but alot weaker on shit like rowing,dont know why but thats the way it is. yesterday for chest i did 5 sets with the 100lb dumbells for sets of 20 on chest, i bet a guy 20 bucks cause he said how many u going for i said 20 n he laughed,i said u wanna bet n i won 20 bucks.i went up to 150lb dumbells for 6 reps,i got it on camera
some people are flexible and robust i am not in the shoulder region. Barbell Military press i have no problem. Everyone is different i am stronger in rowing than pressing.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:09 AM »
presses to me are pretty much all front delt
no way you are hitting the leteral and posterior head properly with presses

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 06:56:31 AM »
presses to me are pretty much all front delt
no way you are hitting the leteral and posterior head properly with presses
I think pre exhaust is perfect for shoulders. Or a tri set which i do. I start with front raises then side,Rear.. pressing i do after this. Sure my weight is lower but it saves my shoulders. The shoulders do not need massive weights in my opinion. Chest training hits them enough..Parallel Bar dips are Tops. The Rear delts get hit with back work. If rear delts are a weak point do bent over rows but at shoulder/upper  back area. you can use more weight than with DB rear raises.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
::)
Piss poor?  My arms and shoulders are way larger than yours and stronger. You look like shit.  Hope this helps.

Read your own words from your own thread. No development after 8 years of training, and you have pictures to prove it. On the other hand, you don't know shit about me, because I don't need prove anything to anybody, so just shut the fuck up.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »
Read your own words from your own thread. No development after 8 years of training, and you have pictures to prove it. On the other hand, you don't know shit about me, because I don't need prove anything to anybody, so just shut the fuck up.
Oh, but I do Mr. Ropo, but I do....

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
I think pre exhaust is perfect for shoulders. Or a tri set which i do. I start with front raises then side,Rear.. pressing i do after this. Sure my weight is lower but it saves my shoulders. The shoulders do not need massive weights in my opinion. Chest training hits them enough..Parallel Bar dips are Tops. The Rear delts get hit with back work. If rear delts are a weak point do bent over rows but at shoulder/upper  back area. you can use more weight than with DB rear raises.

i agree donny,most of the time i do dumbell laterals before my presses,pre exhaust is a very great principle
R

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
i agree donny,most of the time i do dumbell laterals before my presses,pre exhaust is a very great principle
I save my pressing for last.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 01:40:57 AM »
I save my pressing for last.
yes me too.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 02:32:10 AM »
Shit I just do all machines like phil heath

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
Heavy shoulder presses are quite the bald movement - real men defying gravity.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 08:00:59 AM »

yes but what is the point in such a lift? Muscle growth or ego? Fat guy who has no idea about training.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 08:17:14 AM »

One painful rep of peace.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

That's the most pathetic thing I've seen in recent memory.  I bet that guy went home and bragged to his fat, dumpy girlfriend before he mounted her for 3 minutes of lights-off, missionary sex

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »
Most people I see doing this movement while sitting with a back rest end up training a lot of their upper chest.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 08:30:26 AM »
Okay Einsteins, what the best way to do them, some say let the dumbbell right down to the shoulder, and some say let it down just until your arm is parallel to the floor.  Arm parallel means you can use more weight so I'm thinking it's an ego thing.  I use the first method.  What say the GB experts?
i always bring them down to my shoulder.. i use the hella bulky ones so its not actually a big thing

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »
Most people I see doing this movement while sitting with a back rest end up training a lot of their upper chest.
A back rest is not bad. Dumbbell press can be good. Just idiots do it with too much weight and no real idea. Depends too on if you use a neutral hand position. How is your elbow position. Even a Basic exercise is complex. lifting weights is not rocket science but doing it right is important for your joints. 

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
That's the most pathetic thing I've seen in recent memory.  I bet that guy went home and bragged to his fat, dumpy girlfriend before he mounted her for 3 minutes of lights-off, missionary sex

Fat piece of shit had no business using Ronnie's weights.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
The fatso can probably do 100s for sets of 15 easily and yet has nothing to show for it.

Using the chair with the back is really pointless if you want to work shoulders.  They should toss them out of all gyms.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »
The fatso can probably do 100s for sets of 15 easily and yet has nothing to show for it.

Using the chair with the back is really pointless if you want to work shoulders.  They should toss them out of all gyms.
explain why.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
explain why.
Because leaning against that pad forcefully takes emphasis off the shoulder totally.  Try this.  Grab the weight you normally do for 10 to where you can`t get anymore and try it without the backing.  You won`t be able to do it at all, but your shoulders will be doing all of the work.

phil mcgroin

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
Gte them up with spotters assistance then lower them 3 inches while screaming. That's what real men do.

This method must be very effective as i see it used often

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
Okay Einsteins, what the best way to do them, some say let the dumbbell right down to the shoulder, and some say let it down just until your arm is parallel to the floor.  Arm parallel means you can use more weight so I'm thinking it's an ego thing.  I use the first method.  What say the GB experts?

neither, go until your triceps rests against your lat