Author Topic: Just booked my ticket to go see Richard Dawkins next week.  (Read 22005 times)

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
Re: Just booked my ticket to go see Richard Dawkins next week.
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »
It is so refreshing to know that there are still a few logical and reasonable people willing to share their insight and wisdom.

i do not know if you are agnostic in your beliefs or what but I will tell you a man by the name of Hank Hanegraaff takes Dawkins beliefs and theories head on and puts him to shame.  If you are truly open minded and just want to know the truth or hear a good argument look up Hanegraaff and his site Equip.org and give it an honest open minded chance.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
I haven't initiated any anger towards others in this thread, maybe you are projecting.  Ironic really, If you actually read the thread the anger and passive aggression has come from those who don't like what Dawkins says.  I have simply responded to their vehement anger towards people like Dawkins who they disagree with.  I may have reflected back their anger in an attempt to get them to see themselves, but I myself never initiated any anger towards anyone else.
Yup, definitely Ekul, right down to the claims of projection when he doesnt agree with observations people make of his posting traits.

FYI i wasnt referring to this thread in particular when i was commenting at you vehement anger to people who disagree with you.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
I don't take any drug FYI. My exhaustion is from having to tolerate your insufferable existence.
Good.  I like it that way.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »
i do not know if you are agnostic in your beliefs or what but I will tell you a man by the name of Hank Hanegraaff takes Dawkins beliefs and theories head on and puts him to shame.  If you are truly open minded and just want to know the truth or hear a good argument look up Hanegraaff and his site Equip.org and give it an honest open minded chance.
ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No way you can be serious.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
Yup, definitely Ekul, right down to the claims of projection when he doesnt agree with observations people make of his posting traits.

FYI i wasnt referring to this thread in particular when i was commenting at you vehement anger to people who disagree with you.

You seem to make a lot of "claims" about people's internal worlds, i.e., their personality traits, thoughts, and/or feelings. You must be quite the intellect on people's behavior.
X

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »

I don't know this fool, but wikipedia says he has 12 kids so he must be a well adjusted individual.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
He says things that makes people feel uncomfortable- I like him!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
He says things that makes people feel uncomfortable- I like him!

Exactly. People like to feel comfortable.

I think a big issue is this: Religion has held a special place in society for so long. Heck, during certain time periods you were not even allowed to talk out against the church without being hung. Obviously, times have drastically changed and people cannot deal with the fact that others are finally really speaking out against religion. They would prefer others to stay silent. I think that many religious people feel "attacked" even though they are not being attacked. Beliefs are being attacked, not them. They need to work it out for themselves that they are not being attacked as a whole person, just their beliefs. Many people cannot separate their beliefs from who they are as a whole person. But guess what? That is no one else's problem but their own. If they can't deal with the idea that their beliefs are going to be "attacked" and get all butt-hurt, then they need to re-evaluate their sense of self. 
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »

I think a big issue is this: Religion has held a special place in society for so long. Heck, during certain time periods you were not even allowed to talk out against the church without being hung. Obviously, times have drastically changed and people cannot deal with the fact that others are finally really speaking out against religion. They would prefer others to stay silent. I think that many religious people feel "attacked" even though they are not being attacked. Beliefs are being attacked, not them. They need to work it out for themselves that they are not being attacked as a whole person, just their beliefs. Many people cannot separate their beliefs from who they are as a whole person. But guess what? That is no one else's problem but their own. If they can't deal with the idea that their beliefs are going to be "attacked" and get all butt-hurt, then they need to re-evaluate their sense of self.  

You know how many times I've been told I need to die on these boards because of my faith?  

We don't have enough fingers and toes between us to count the times LOL.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
You know how many times I've been told I need to die on these boards because of my faith?  

We don't have enough fingers and toes between us to count the times LOL.

Yes, but have you ever heard Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Dan Dennet or any other famous atheist tell another person that they need to die? For the most part, atheists are attacking beliefs. When was the last time you heard of an atheist kill another person because of their religious beliefs? When was the last time you heard of a religious person kill another person because of their religious beliefs? In fact, just today or yesterday, there was another terrorist attack in israel.

Come on man, you know as well as I do you can't pick a few bad atheists and lump them all together.

That's like me picking out the thousands and thousands of priests that have molested little boys and saying that all priests molest little boys. Oh, wait.............. :-\ :-\
X

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
JNN taking names in this thread..

I too belive is some form of creative force.

I use very simple logic.

We have no understanding of time-dimensions-etc,

yet dawkins claims the simpliest  explanation the only intelligent thing in the universe are those versed in science.

mine is there's some other intelligent force out there.

Who knows what it is, I call it creation(god).

Dawkins doesn't deny that there isn't a greater intelligence out there, on the contrary.
However he thinks that Religion(faith) has no place in explaining things on how the world works.

500 years ago "Faith" explained that the earth was flat, it was the center of the universe, and if you were a genius mathematician you were a "witch"(burned alive to death).
Science on the other hand knows better..

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »

Trashing Christianity made him rich and famous, end of story.  He knows that Christians won't put a bounty on his head.  I'd like to see him openly trash Islam just as much as he has trashed Christianity.

Anyway, by his own admission, Richard Dawkins has received more criticism for trashing Christianity and other religions from fellow atheists and agnostics than he has received from religious people.

MikMaq

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »
Dawkins doesn't deny that there isn't a greater intelligence out there, on the contrary.
However he thinks that Religion(faith) has no place in explaining things on how the world works.
And I think he's the worst of our society.

Sensationalizing antagonist arguments to sell books and divide society.
500 years ago "Faith" explained that the earth was flat, it was the center of the universe, and if you were a genius mathematician you were a "witch"(burned alive to death).
Science on the other hand knows better..
do I give a shit?

Mathematics, and astronomy flurished under islamic law, for centuries.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56:11 AM »
Dawkins has been made to look foolish so many times now with any legitimate debater not sure what the fuss is about him anymore.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
Trashing Christianity made him rich and famous, end of story.  He knows that Christians won't put a bounty on his head.  I'd like to see him openly trash Islam just as much as he has trashed Christianity.

Anyway, by his own admission, Richard Dawkins has received more criticism for trashing Christianity and other religions from fellow atheists and agnostics than he has received from religious people.

You should stop speaking now.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »

Sensationalizing antagonist arguments to sell books and divide society. do I give a shit?

Have you read any of his books? I think you're a bit off based. The majority of his books have nothing to do with religion.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
Yes, but have you ever heard Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Dan Dennet or any other famous atheist tell another person that they need to die? For the most part, atheists are attacking beliefs. When was the last time you heard of an atheist kill another person because of their religious beliefs? When was the last time you heard of a religious person kill another person because of their religious beliefs? In fact, just today or yesterday, there was another terrorist attack in israel.

Come on man, you know as well as I do you can't pick a few bad atheists and lump them all together.

That's like me picking out the thousands and thousands of priests that have molested little boys and saying that all priests molest little boys. Oh, wait.............. :-\ :-\

I wish more atheists shared your perspective that way discussion is healthy. 

You're point was that theists should not feel personally attacked by atheists....that it's only the theist's beliefs that are being attacked.  I wish that was the case.  I can clearly distinguish between disagreement on beliefs and other's clear desire for my death.   I can assure you many, many have requested my life be ended LOL.... OR that my daughter be raped.....or my wife beaten and raped.  I think I've heard it all.....unfortunately.

Further, theists are just as guilty of making horrific verbal attacks against atheists.

From my experience for every 5 rationale, respectful atheists (that fully disagree with me) there are 20 hateful athieists that would enjoy seeing me get died.

FYI ~ Dawkins received a bunch of backlash from the atheist community about his "mock them, ridicule them" comments.

MikMaq

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »
Have you read any of his books? I think you're a bit off based. The majority of his books have nothing to do with religion.
I agree, which is why I can't fucking stand him and this shit he gets on with.

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

divide society. do I give a shit?
Divide society?? more like awake society! If you question a belief on a heavily religious country you'll get beheaded(yes, still on 2014!) abandon this religion gets you a quick pass to the morgue.
[/quote]

From the Q'uran : “The sun and moon (are subjected) to calculations.” (55:05)
This was mainly to know which direction you should pray to.

Math and astronomy also flourished under the heavily totalitarian jesuit rule in Venice when Galileo existed, Isaac Newton was also heavily christian..

Sensationalizing antagonist arguments to sell books and
This is a dead give-away that you haven't read any of his books, but have listen to others and probably at best flicked through his books.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
I agree, which is why I can't fucking stand him and this shit he gets on with.

His book, "The selfish gene" is an amazing book explaining how evolution works in very simple but elegant terms. All the stuff people can't seem to wrap their head around, "Why are their still apes if we evolved from them? How could something complex like an eye evolve from something else? What is altruism and morality and how is it compatible with survival of the fittest?"...all these are explained such that a child could understand them. I highly recommend it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
You should stop speaking now.

I haven't been speaking at all.  You should stop typing now.