Author Topic: Just booked my ticket to go see Richard Dawkins next week.  (Read 22084 times)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Re: Just booked my ticket to go see Richard Dawkins next week.
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
Santa Claus is as real as Jesus.  The only difference is, your parents didn't tell you Jesus is a make believe character at the age of 8.
Tell someone something enough from birth, they'll believe it.  How do you think they groom suicide bombers?
Nobody is at fault for many of their beliefs...regardless of how many believe it or how much the same tales are regurgitated.
You don't need to use much logic to disprove almost all religion.  Has anyone read the bible?  The best fictitious book around.
N

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
I haven't been speaking at all.  You should stop typing now.

I know you mutter the words you are typing with your two pointer fingers as you type them and you take your shoes off when you count to 20.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »
merry dawkins everyone and praises to the high priest.

Can't blame him for his worshippers - many people need idols.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
Santa Claus is as real as Jesus.  The only difference is, your parents didn't tell you Jesus is a make believe character at the age of 8.
Tell someone something enough from birth, they'll believe it.  How do you think they groom suicide bombers?
Nobody is at fault for many of their beliefs...regardless of how many believe it or how much the same tales are regurgitated.
You don't need to use much logic to disprove almost all religion.  Has anyone read the bible?  The best fictitious book around.

So you don't believe Jesus existed at all? 

Have you had an opportunity to read and study the bible?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »
So you don't believe Jesus existed at all? 

Have you had an opportunity to read and study the bible?

I believe he existed, whether or not he created all those miracles is another story.

check your PMs.
X

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
Exactly. People like to feel comfortable.

I think a big issue is this: Religion has held a special place in society for so long. Heck, during certain time periods you were not even allowed to talk out against the church without being hung. Obviously, times have drastically changed and people cannot deal with the fact that others are finally really speaking out against religion. They would prefer others to stay silent. I think that many religious people feel "attacked" even though they are not being attacked. Beliefs are being attacked, not them. They need to work it out for themselves that they are not being attacked as a whole person, just their beliefs. Many people cannot separate their beliefs from who they are as a whole person. But guess what? That is no one else's problem but their own. If they can't deal with the idea that their beliefs are going to be "attacked" and get all butt-hurt, then they need to re-evaluate their sense of self.  
This. You pretty much know Dawkins is on to something by the extreme visceral reaction many religious people have to him.  If he was genuinely just a fool or misguided people would simply feel sorry for him.  But deep down the Religious know what he says contains kernels of truth that unfortunately happens to conflict with their cherished yet deluded beliefs.  It must be terrible for such people, perhaps similar to the child who doesn't want to let go of the concept of Santa but eventually begrudgingly accepts it.  Sadly, many religious adults seem unwilling to let go of deluded beliefs, perhaps because they would have to acknowledge how foolish they have been, and nobody wants to see themselves a fool.  Also they would have to accept reality and all the harshness, uncertainty and cruelty it contains without a comforting yet deluded belief system to get them through it.  

I think part of the problem is that a child can't so easily go into denial once they discover the truth about Santa, they face the entire adult world who will reinforce the fact Santa doesn't exist and they face ridicule if they continue to believe in Santa even after being exposed to the truth. So a child can't so easily hold onto their belief Santa exists.  Unfortunately for adults, when exposed to the reality that God is a man made concept and their is ZERO evidence for GOD's existence, such people can use a myriad of psychological tools to deny this new reality.  They also can simply turn to the many other deluded people who will reinforce their delusions and confirmation bias.  They can then all rally together and attack those who tried to enlighten them, thus making it harder and harder for them to ever accept reality.  First they would have to accept they had been sucked in and foolish to be so credulous and second they would have to join the side they have been heaping scorn and contempt on ever since they were exposed to their message.  This is a tall order for many people who simply don't have the constitution or fortitude for such a task, after all they haven't relied on their own strength up until this point in time, they have relied on a delusion of strength by believing in an illusory deity.  Remove the source of their strength (their delusion) and they are powerless.
V

The Wrong Advices

• Getbig II
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
Aside from a few very controversial ancient texts, there is no historical record of Jesus at all. Certainly nothing that speaks to his activism or miracles. The most logical explanation is there was a real-life political agitator who got blended with the myths of Horus, Dionysus, etc, and we ended up with the stories we know today.

Prayer is just a way to bargain with an uncaring universe. If you do the right things and burn enough goats, maybe, just maybe, you will be spared some hardships. Doesn't work.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Is he still doing Family Fued?

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »
Dawkins talks with Satish Kumar, holistic philosopher and environmentalist:

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
Ask him "what is the meaning of life", and watch him stutter and stammer..

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
Ask him "what is the meaning of life", and watch him stutter and stammer..
He has often said he believes people should create their own meaning and I agree with him.  There is no universal meaning to life, you simply create a life that has value and meaning for you. That is all.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »
so your one of his believers ?
I believe in evidence.  That's why I believe in evolution and not in god.  As the former has overwhelming evidence and for the latter their is none.
V

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
just another man making business.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
I believe in evidence.  That's why I believe in evolution and not in god.  As the former has overwhelming evidence and for the latter their is none.
you have seen this evidence in person?  You did the leg work to bring it front and center in science?  No right, so basically you putting your " faith" in the men that have.  You think all christians believe the earth is 6000 years old and that if you die your going to this firey inferno if your bad right , your wrong.  But I do not care what you believe just do go around acting all uppity because in your delusional mind you think nothing created everything and out of that you get sophisticated thought and moral virtues, dumbass.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
you have seen this evidence in person?  You did the leg work to bring it front and center in science?  No right, so basically you putting your " faith" in the men that have.  You think all christians believe the earth is 6000 years old and that if you die your going to this firey inferno if your bad right , your wrong.  But I do not care what you believe just do go around acting all uppity because in your delusional mind you think nothing created everything and out of that you get sophisticated thought and moral virtues, dumbass.
You moron, so when you get on a plane did you do the leg work to confirm that aeronautical theory is valid? what a ridiculous assertion.  Faith isn't required when evidence can be verified, and any body who doubts the evidence that is being presented is free to investigate the evidence and if he is capable of doing so disproving it.

And not only this, yes I have seen the fossil evidence in person that in part makes up the body of evidence supporting evolution.  Maybe you should try visiting a museum.  And using your own illogical thinking, I guess because you weren't around to witness Jesus in person, I suppose then that he never existed and all of recorded history before our births is invalid.  It comes as no surprise that you are a deluded believer, your critical thinking faculties are non-existent.

And stop presenting strawman arguments, I don't think all christians believe the earth is 6000 years old and that if you die your going to this firey inferno if your bad , but I do know that is what the book they worship says.  I also don't think nothing created everything which is a sad accusation coming from someone who thinks NOTHING created GOD.
V

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
You moron, so when you get on a plane did you do the leg work to confirm that aeronautical theory is valid, what a ridiculous assertion.  And stop presenting strawman arguments, I don't think all christians believe the earth is 6000 years old and that if you die your going to this firey inferno if your bad right, but that is what the book they worship says.  I also don't think nothing created everything which is a sad accusation coming from someone who thinks NOTHING created GOD.

Yes, the whole argument, "Well, you weren't there, so you need to have faith in the scientists" is absolutely ridiculous. That argument has been destroyed numerous times over. In fact, I have not heard a theist use this argument in a debate in a rather long time. Even they learned its dumb to assert.

I did not need to be there when scientists were creating the antibiotics that is curing my double ear infection. I trust in the scientific method and that the scientists were adhering to appropriate scientific principles when developing this medicine. And guess what? It works!!  :o :o
X

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2014, 02:02:52 AM »
you seem as easy to wind up as those you despise
Whoa, settle down there big fella, no need to get enraged about it?

Who said I despise them?  For the most part I pity those unable to reason effectively.

And I am not wound up, pretty weak attempt to project your feelings onto me.
V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2014, 03:43:48 AM »
well did anyone watch the talk with Satish Kumar?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2014, 03:49:18 AM »
well did anyone watch the talk with Satish Kumar?
I have seen it a while ago when watching Dawkins 'Enemies of Reason.'  SO what of it?

V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2014, 03:52:45 AM »
Satish made plenty of sense to me but you probably think he's 'unawakened'

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2014, 03:54:55 AM »
Satish made plenty of sense to me but you probably think he's 'unawakened'
You are right, he is a naive idiot, not much unlike yourself  Such people are on the other extreme of dictators. Personally pacifists like Satish Kumar cause more suffering for others than non-pacifists.  Take Gandhi for example, he encouraged the Jews to not resist the Nazis.  Or the Dalai Lama, told his followers to not resist the Chinese, which of course got those poor sods murdered.  Thanks Dalai lama.
V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »
I am not a pacifist when it comes to a person, tribe or country justifiably protecting itself.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2014, 04:07:30 AM »
You are right, he is a naive idiot, not much unlike yourself  Such people are on the other extreme of dictators. Personally pacifists like Satish Kumar cause more suffering for others than non-pacifists.  Take Gandhi for example, he encouraged the Jews to not resist the Nazis.  Or the Dalai Lama, told his followers to not resist the Chinese, which of course got those poor sods murdered.  Thanks Dalai lama.

Your tone is starting to annoy me a little 'Savagely Homo', you should wind your turkey neck in a bit.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2014, 04:32:51 AM »
Your tone is starting to annoy me a little 'Savagely Homo', you should wind your turkey neck in a bit.

You're approaching redline yourself in these last 250 posts, stud.  Gonna be some hard truths getting told!

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2014, 04:48:00 AM »
It is so refreshing to know that there are still a few logical and reasonable people willing to share their insight and wisdom.

Richard Dawk is a pseudo intellectual jerk off.  I bet he masturbates at least once a day.
Ψ