Author Topic: How often do some of you guys drink alcohol? Is it becoming a problem?  (Read 18207 times)

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
Re: How often do some of you guys drink alcohol? Is it becoming a problem?
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
I drink wine with dinner, 3-4 glasses usually. The health benefits are numerous. I'll grab  a couple beers with my friends  when I go out so I don't look like an anti social idiot but I'm not big on anything else but wine honestly
l

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »

No, it's not. My hands shake every morning. And I'm only 30. You don't want to know how many times I've went to work still slightly drunk from the night before.

I take my hat off to any of you that can quit. I wish I could. Just weak in that area in life. Hell, I'm drinking now. :/

You missed the point.  I didn't say those people didn't exist.  I said that's the common portrayal, and that you can be a true alcoholic without those symptoms.
Y

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »
You missed the point.  I didn't say those people didn't exist.  I said that's the common portrayal, and that you can be a true alcoholic without those symptoms.

Your very right. And, yes, I did miss the point.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »

Your very right. And, yes, I did miss the point.

Do you get withdrawals when you take a day off?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »

Yes. I actually have to take anxiety medication these days just to make it through work. And it's funny because if any of you knew me in real life, you'd think I'm the calmest person you've ever met. Truth is, is that I'm a fuckin mess. Lol. Oh, well.

I try going a few days every month or so without alcohol. Never seems to end well though. Shakes and problems sleeping.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:13 PM »

Many people who get withdrawals after drinking never come to the conclusion that they in fact have withdrawals. When you hear people say things like "I had a hang over for 3 days". Their probably dealing with withdrawls...

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
Just the occasional beer or wine, I never understood why people drink to the point of sickness.

Because some need to build up the balls to do certain things or just be more sociable. Booze is an introverts best friend and also worst enemy.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »
I am teetotal at this stage in my life but I replaced drink with marijuana. I found it took me repeated attempts to stop but delighted that I finally did it.

Ps congrats Shiznit.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
Nope. No problem. Still have a case left.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
I lived in a bottle for years and years. The routine was usually drink until I was falling drunk, blackout then be hung over the next day or two, pretend I was going to quit, then start all over. So it was usually 2 or 3 times a week. How much? At my worst I could clear a fifth of hard booze. Or if I'm going the other way (no homo) I'd be 2 bottles of red wine and 2 or 3 beers. That was routine for about 15 years. Stoppwd drinking about 5 years ago but haven't always successful. In those 5 years If say I've been pissed 4 or 5 times. Last drop of booze was a year ago or so.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »

Yes. I actually have to take anxiety medication these days just to make it through work. And it's funny because if any of you knew me in real life, you'd think I'm the calmest person you've ever met. Truth is, is that I'm a fuckin mess. Lol. Oh, well.

I try going a few days every month or so without alcohol. Never seems to end well though. Shakes and problems sleeping.

Once you get to the point of physical addiction (drinking night and day, every day), withdrawals can be deadly. Wouldn't detox at home, my friend, it could kill you.

Also, Xanax, or whatever you're taking for anxiety is incredibly addictive, too. Withdrawals from benzos are hell, too. How many mg per day?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
Quote from: The UglBpic=560249.msg7851059#msg7851059 date=1418097255
Once you get to the point of physical addiction (drinking night and day, every day), withdrawals can be deadly. Wouldn't detox at home, my friend; it could kill you.

Also, Xanax, or whatever you're taking for anxiety is incredibly addictive, too. Withdrawals from benzos are hell, too. How many mg per day?

Well, I can't take certain types of medication due to my line of work. Am on Lexapro, at the moment. Which is incredibly embarrassing, btw. I remember the first time I had an anxiety attack. Thought I was having a heart attack. Scary shit.

Yeah, I hear ya on the detoxing.

I'll be honest ... this thread has really opened my eyes. Plus, I've received a couple pm's. Sad thing is, is that I know I have a problem. And I hate being addicted to alcohol. But definitely easier to deal with it when speaking to those who have been there.

Really should go back to AA. But some of the fuckers that show up there have some really serious issues that go beyond alcohol. Fuck that. I still go to work everyday and pay all my own bills. I function. Just tend to go overboard pretty much every night in the alcohol department. And, of course, there's pussy, too. Haha.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2014, 08:17:47 PM »

Well, I can't take certain types of medication due to my line of work. Am on Lexapro, at the moment. Which is incredibly embarrassing, btw. I remember the first time I had an anxiety attack. Thought I was having a heart attack. Scary shit.

I'll be honest ... this thread has really opened my eyes. Plus, I've received a couple pm's. Sad thing is, is that I know I have a problem. And I hate being addicted to alcohol. But definitely easier to deal with it when speaking to those who have been there.

Really should go back to AA. But some of the fuckers that show up there have some really serious issues that go beyond alcohol. Fuck that. I still go to work everyday and pay all my own bills. I function. Just tend to go overboard pretty much every night in the alcohol department. And, of course, there's pussy, too. Haha.

Just because there are people who have totally destroyed their lives with alcohol doesn't mean you should deprive yourself of any help that is on offer. You would be sensible to join to make sure you never get to that point. Good luck my friend.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »

I f'n hate AA, but it does help some, so whatever works. Just pull up a few YouTube vids of youngish guys in end stage liver failure. That shit'll scare you sober quicker than any fucking meeting.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
I lived in a bottle for years and years. The routine was usually drink until I was falling drunk, blackout then be hung over the next day or two, pretend I was going to quit, then start all over. So it was usually 2 or 3 times a week. How much? At my worst I could clear a fifth of hard booze. Or if I'm going the other way (no homo) I'd be 2 bottles of red wine and 2 or 3 beers. That was routine for about 15 years. Stoppwd drinking about 5 years ago but haven't always successful. In those 5 years If say I've been pissed 4 or 5 times. Last drop of booze was a year ago or so.

wow.

Did you continue the 2-3 days per week religiously for the entire 15 years? (Did you ever take breaks?)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
wow.

Did you continue the 2-3 days per week religiously for the entire 15 years? (Did you ever take breaks?)

There was never a single week during that time where I was not completely fu.cked up at least once. Usually twice. I was a fucking dumpster fire!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »

Well, I can't take certain types of medication due to my line of work. Am on Lexapro, at the moment. Which is incredibly embarrassing .

Horseshit. I've been on lexapro, Vybrid, paxil, and various benzo's. Currently on zoloft. If you have a cold, you take medication. Don't buy into that "stigmatized" bullshit.

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2014, 01:22:44 AM »

Interesting.

So you're saying there are people who are true alcoholics who have no withdrawal symptoms (no physical dependence) and are able to lay off on alcohol at any given time for any amount of time necessary (so no psychological dependance strong enough to not control behavior)?

I don't really believe that. One can argue it's unhealthy and as Shizzo says you may be abusing it. But it's a habbit and always a choice.

The public view on addiction is so variant. In Mediterranean country's its normal and widely accepted that you drink whine during lunch/diner (even if it's a work meeting).

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2014, 01:37:50 AM »
Interesting.

So you're saying there are people who are true alcoholics who have no withdrawal symptoms (no physical dependence) and are able to lay off on alcohol at any given time for any amount of time necessary (so no psychological dependance strong enough to not control behavior)?

I don't really believe that. One can argue it's unhealthy and as Shizzo says you may be abusing it. But it's a habbit and always a choice.

The public view on addiction is so variant. In Mediterranean country's its normal and widely accepted that you drink whine during lunch/diner (even if it's a work meeting).

I can only tell you from my personal experience. I drank everyday for about three years. Sometimes I could drink .750ml bottle in a day.

I did not experience any noticeable withdrawl symptoms in the last 6 weeks.

I guess I am extremely lucky.

Alcohol is notorious for having some of the most serious withdrawls.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:06 AM »
Can I ask what you do now that replaces drinking? Meaning what ever addiction someone has when they quit it they normally have to fill that void of time with something. I normally just went to a different addiction unfortunately. Now my time is devoted to my family. Especially my granddaughter.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »

dont feel bad about the aniety/panic attacks man cause ive had them all the time and still do,weird thing is im not a nervous person.yea i thought i was having heart attack also,my heart was skipping beats and racing,i couldnt catch my breath and i was gonna pass out.it happens to alot of people and is much more common than u think
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2014, 02:50:09 AM »
Once you get to the point of physical addiction (drinking night and day, every day), withdrawals can be deadly. Wouldn't detox at home, my friend, it could kill you.

i just came off xanax after almost 8 years or so and im feeling ok,had nasty headaches for the first 3 weeks and couldnt sleep but thats about it. i cycled myself down to less than a .25 aday, thats practiclly nothing and thats why i didnt get much withdrawels. ive never went higher than 1mg in those whole 8 years either,always stayed in the range of 1,id like to do a half of a mg in the morning when i got up and another half in the evening.there where times occasionally where id take a whole 2mg bar just to get a nice buzz and drink a glass or 2 of wine but that was mostly on christmas/new years/thanksgiving ect.when i did take that 2mg i was really really sedated bigtime
R

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2014, 02:54:24 AM »
I guess I should consider myself lucky. I never dabbled in rec drugs or even smoked cigs. I was able to get control of an alcohol problem that was only a few years in the making.

Now it's time to get lean and mean. I have lost 65 pounds before and I will do it again.

This is a pic of me when I was about 175-180 pounds (Probably around 3 years ago)

As you can see, alcohol was a major factor in my weight gain. It made me tired and lethargic all the time, not to mention all of those empty calories.

I wouldn't be able to get through life without a double scotch and a Cuban cigar. I never smoke or drink two days in a row though, once a week is my usual allowance. Clears my head and helps stay lean and dry.

Here we have 18yr old Chivas whiskey paired with a Monterrey Epicure No2

S

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2014, 02:59:19 AM »
I had similar was one of the reasons I stopped taking TRT, had 4 or 5 venesections to get rid of the blood, I hadn't taken more than 1ml a fortnight for years but my levels were still high and asprin wasn't cutting it, I am curious to how much you were using though, guys I know in san fran are being treated for TRT with venesection being part of the treatment, its not mainstream but theres doctors up there who understand the benefits and assist trying to neutralise the blood negative but good luck my haematologist just told me no more TRT and thats been it, he wouldnt even consider such a protocol,

man that stuff is scary to hear about man,im not gonna lie its spookin me alittle cause i hate needles as it is and to think id have to go thru that draining process to get the excess blood out is scary as fuck. ive been off my TRT for 4 weeks now,not cause i want to but cause my connect hasnt came thru yet and im pissed alittle,but at the same time my body is cleansing out which cant hurt either in a sense
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2014, 03:02:15 AM »
I guess I should consider myself lucky. I never dabbled in rec drugs or even smoked cigs. I was able to get control of an alcohol problem that was only a few years in the making.

Now it's time to get lean and mean. I have lost 65 pounds before and I will do it again.

This is a pic of me when I was about 175-180 pounds (Probably around 3 years ago)

As you can see, alcohol was a major factor in my weight gain. It made me tired and lethargic all the time, not to mention all of those empty calories.

u dont look bad man,just keep pumping the iron and stay lean and u will be ok,plus the lifting will help kill the urges for the booze man,stay strong man
R