Author Topic: funky squat problem...  (Read 40966 times)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
funky squat problem...
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »
I stopped squating years ago as my knees were starting to get very sore klicking like fuck, along with my hips... But every now and again I get the urge to put them back into my routine

What I've noticed is my left foot wants to step back to be comfortable, if I keep my feet in line the movement feels twisted, ive torn both my hamstrings over the years , so im wondering if that's effected my stance, or if my hips are out of line

I notice the same thing using the xtrainer, I have to keep shuffeling my left foot forward on the foot pads, any of this ring any bells with you kinesogical experts?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: funky squat problem...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:36:12 AM »
i would find a good sport Doctor. me myself i would stretch my Hammies AND my Hip flexors intensively. I find doing Squats and stiff Deadlifts back to back very good.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 06:56:44 AM »
I stopped squating years ago as my knees were starting to get very sore klicking like fuck, along with my hips... But every now and again I get the urge to put them back into my routine

What I've noticed is my left foot wants to step back to be comfortable, if I keep my feet in line the movement feels twisted, ive torn both my hamstrings over the years , so im wondering if that's effected my stance, or if my hips are out of line

I notice the same thing using the xtrainer, I have to keep shuffeling my left foot forward on the foot pads, any of this ring any bells with you kinesogical experts?

I'm guessing hip flexibility too, like Donny said.  But he's right, you should get looked at.

Y

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »
i would find a good sport Doctor. me myself i would stretch my Hammies AND my Hip flexors intensively. I find doing Squats and stiff Deadlifts back to back very good.

Hard finding a good one, I change jobs soon so I'll see how much I get towards private health

My legs look good from leg extensions and leg presses, but I do miss a good squat session.. I always chuckle to me self watching the wannabes not even hitting parrallel and walking round doing the angry face after, as if they've accomplished somthing, like wise with the 2" leg presses.... Not a single teardrop or sweep was ever spotted I must add

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »
Hard finding a good one, I change jobs soon so I'll see how much I get towards private health

My legs look good from leg extensions and leg presses, but I do miss a good squat session.. I always chuckle to me self watching the wannabes not even hitting parrallel and walking round doing the angry face after, as if they've accomplished somthing, like wise with the 2" leg presses.... Not a single teardrop or sweep was ever spotted I must add
Being honest i like squats but you can get great legs without them. i don´t think anyone can tell you anything you know that. Nothing wrong with leg press. Can you do Hacks or are your knees too shot ?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
I never liked hacks, all the machines in our area are too steep with the foot plate fixed... Altho my fave movement used to be a horizontal hack with a stack, fit me just right... Slow negatives with a pause at rock bottom, pure battery acid pains... That machine broke, havnt found another like it in surrounding guns either

Leg presses are ok, squats aren't essential, it is nice mentaly to be able to do them tho, even if it was just once a month or something

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
Squats seem to have fallen out of favor. They are one of the hardest lifts you can do. Realize that squatting has an athletic component. You simply could be out of the grove of doing them.  Try volume when you do squats with reps around 10-12 to learn the movement with moderate weight and in time lower the sets and reps while increasing the weight. This will retrain your mind to body coordination and pathways.

If you still feel something is wrong with your ability to position properly maybe see a doc to see if a muscular or neurological problem exist. Maybe simply abandon the movement or try squatting with dumbbells. Don't dead lift dumbbells by bending over but keep your upper torso completely erect and sink your butt down bending your knees fully. Using this method you will be surprised how little weight you need. Again, you're not deadlifting the dumbbells. It's a very underutilized outstanding exercise. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
I never liked hacks, all the machines in our area are too steep with the foot plate fixed... Altho my fave movement used to be a horizontal hack with a stack, fit me just right... Slow negatives with a pause at rock bottom, pure battery acid pains... That machine broke, havnt found another like it in surrounding guns either

Leg presses are ok, squats aren't essential, it is nice mentaly to be able to do them tho, even if it was just once a month or something

Put a piece of duct tape on the ground to position your feet properly, and try a goblet squat.   See if you can do that as these pretty much force perfect form.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
Put a piece of duct tape on the ground to position your feet properly, and try a goblet squat.   See if you can do that as these pretty much force perfect form.
Over looked exercise.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
Sounds like either your pelvis, and/or related hip and spine, are out of displacement. Twisted, and not in normal line. Seeing a chiropractor  may help. Sports massaging (deep tissue) may help also. Or at lease improve the imbalance. Can even relate this problem from the ankles to the knees, but seems more like a pelvic/hip/spine issue.. Football players come upon this problem, with some of the hits the receivers and running backs take, too often..

Step-up's are a good way to exercise the individual hip/leg, tending to balance the movement, flexibility and strength on each side of the body.There can be a better focus on the pelvis/hip/spine.  Prefer holding  DB's, but some will use a bar on the shoulders. DB's safer for the average trainee. There are one legged squats also, but for a  better stretch (quads/hams) would favor step-ups.

Might also suggest BB Hacks. With the weight/bar held behind the back, a different weight placement can have a different affect on the pevic/hip/spine areas. Front squats also have a different weight displacement, with the bar held in front of the body. Even strong ab's can help to keep the pelvic/hip/spine complex in a more stable and fixed condition.

Good luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
I've found paused squats and OH squats to really stretch the hips.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »
Another form of squatting are Sumo squats, with a extra wide foot spacing. Try holding the extreme bottom position for 2 or 3 seconds, which can affect the pelvic/hip and spine.  Higher reps at first, looking for that full stretch in the lower position, which in a way can be like an adjustment for the pelvic/hips/spine. Might try using just the bar, at first, to get use to the full bottom position and the extreme stretch you can get with that.

Also the Sumo DL. but for most it may take time to learn the correct form. In this regard, would suggest only doing the Sumo squat versions as a starting off point. The old Jefferson lift (little used today...akin to a DL) requires a much wider than normal foot spacing, and a very good exercise for stretching the pelvic/hip/spine complex. Change hand placings each set; one set right hand in front, next set...left hand in the front...etc, etc, etc..

OH's (overhead) squats (as chaos suggest) can really put a stretch on the whole body. Wide foot stance and low positions see to that. Total upper and lower body flexibility and stretch, a great movement. Though somewhat difficult for most to learn the correct timing and form. if wanting to invest the time to learn, than that will be to your great advantage.

Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »
Some good suggestions, thanks brothers....

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
OH squats is waaay more difficult than you'd think. Lol
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
Not to derail the turn this wonderful thread has taken, but...

Consistent stretching of the hip flexors, hamstrings, etc. for several weeks sounds promising - certainly can't hurt! Experimenting with variation in stance width may also prove helpful. A series of chiropractic adjustments per JPM's suggestion seems quite advisable in this situation. At the very least, professional medical counsel may help determine the source of you problem, and thus, how to resolve it.

As it relates somewhat to barbell hack-squats, my Air Force buddy has been using Jefferson squats with favorable results for some months now. I've never tried them, but he absolutely loves them in terms of feel and results. As with bb hacks, the weight is held below the body's center of gravity, which is usually quite forgiving on problems in and around the pelvic region.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
I hope everyone feels cleansed now. 8)
I try to keep well stretched and limber throughout my entire body.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »
I hope everyone feels cleansed now. 8)
I try to keep well stretched and limber throughout my entire body.

Do you do anything specific?

I've been considering yoga, but I only want the stretching.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »

Nothing weird. Just your normal stretches, maybe hanging from a bar to stretch my back some....other than that nothing different.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:21 AM »

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 10:02:20 AM »
Good suggestion sites given by oldtimer1.  The hip belt would be the better choice...just my view..

Hip belts (or harness hip lift belts) can allow much heavier weight to be used, which can show the average guy just how powerful he really is, an unexpected good surprise when wanting to build size and strength. If using 400 for a regular max squat, anyone should be using close to 500 with a hip belt.

A weight positioned below the center of the body (a bit below the navel) will become easier to lift as opposed to that same weight being placed on the higher shoulder level (squat bar position). It will also save the lower back from undergoing extra stress, something the regular squat can never do. One of the reasons I prefer doing BB Hack squats (like a reverse DL). Also the fore mentioned Jefferson lift (remembering to always switch grip positions from set to set).

Different styles of hip/harness belts and the way they fit the body. When using a BB, a shorter BB (4 to 5 ft) is usually used for better balance. The key to a good hip belt squat exercise routine is balance. You find this out the first time trying a hip belt. More experience men will prefer the Olympic bar or a weighted weight stack (easier to balance).  And most experience men will stand on raised blocks, wooden platforms, etc. The BB plates, show in the hip belt ad, may tend to be unstable and slip a bit when getting into the exercise.  But, your choice.

You want a raised foot stance so you can go down deeper in the lift. 45's on the bar will limit the depth of the lift, unless you only want to do partial reps.....and excellent way to build size and power...by the way).

Good luck
F

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:32 AM »
put the 2x4 under the heel like Arnold did?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 08:06:35 AM »

Some great hip stretches starting at the 3 minute mark:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
Some great hip stretches starting at the 3 minute mark:

Thanks, Lizzy!

I'm extremely tight in my hip flexors. 😔