Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 136575 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage
« Reply #425 on: July 26, 2023, 01:43:38 AM »
I actually doubt that CBS were even at the event. There's no evidence that they were there and this story of them not airing the footage was mostly conjured up by salty losers like boyer coe and methzer.
Good point. Why would CBS fly their people to Australia to cover a contest that only a hundred or so people attended?

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #426 on: July 26, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
Exactly, why would they then not show the footage. It wouldn't t matter to them who won, know nothing about physique contests and for the few that'd watch at home they'd watch regardless.

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #427 on: July 26, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »
Exactly, why would they then not show the footage. It wouldn't t matter to them who won, know nothing about physique contests and for the few that'd watch at home they'd watch regardless.
Arnold knows he never won but he is such an asshole he wants to believe the bullshit  :D

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #428 on: July 26, 2023, 08:53:48 AM »

Good point. It’s beyond me no one has asked this to Arnold in public. Is like they have you sign a contract where you can’t mention the year 1980 to Arnold. 

It just didn’t happened. 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #429 on: July 26, 2023, 09:38:21 AM »
Arnold knows he never won but he is such an asshole he wants to believe the bullshit  :D

Only Arnold did get placed 1st & win.

The debate is if he should've of won , Though I've never heard from the other
competitors who should've won if not Arnold.

The bigger controversy is the 81 Olympia & Franco Placing 1st !!
Tom, Danny & Roy were all clearly superior overall to Franco.

SAF

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #430 on: July 26, 2023, 11:37:45 AM »
"I actually doubt that CBS were even at the event."

I rarely post to this board -- only when I can contribute sometimg.

Years ago I talked to a person very well-versed on this event and, yes, it was apparently filmed by CBS and never aired. Someone would have to get a higher-up in the IFBB at the time to discuss it -- Wayne Demilia likely -- but CBS apparently wouldn't air it without an explanation as to what happened insofar as the judging went.

From what I was told, the judging was a mess and Arnold wasn't doing the required poses when asked. Apparently, when asked to do a reverse lat spread, he'd simply hit a most muscular. There were many other instances I guess where they couldn't make heads nor tails of what transpired.

Take from that what you will, but it's well known that it was supposed to air on CBS, there is footage of it, but, apparently, it was CBS's decision not to air it no only because of the controversial win but also what appeared to be nonsensical judging that didn't look very "sport" like.

This is an interesting article: https://starkcenter.org/igh/igh-v11/igh-v11-n1/igh1101p04.pdf

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #431 on: July 26, 2023, 11:44:35 AM »

Years ago I talked to a person very well-versed on this event and, yes, it was apparently filmed by CBS and never aired. Someone would have to get a higher-up in the IFBB at the time to discuss it -- Wayne Demilia likely -- but CBS apparently wouldn't air it without an explanation as to what happened insofar as the judging went.

From what I was told, the judging was a mess and Arnold wasn't doing the required poses when asked. Apparently, when asked to do a reverse lat spread, he'd simply hit a most muscular. There were many other instances I guess where they couldn't make heads nor tails of what transpired.

Take from that what you will, but it's well known that it was supposed to air on CBS, there is footage of it, but, apparently, it was CBS's decision not to air it no only because of the controversial win but also what appeared to be nonsensical judging that didn't look very "sport" like.

This is an interesting article: https://starkcenter.org/igh/igh-v11/igh-v11-n1/igh1101p04.pdf

Really - Like CBS were very concerned about Bodybuilding Judging or Knew what or how
to judge  ::)

If they had filmed it they would've aired it for the ratings with some Title like
Controversial Judging at top bodybuilding show . ther'e many ways they could've
marketed & shown it - They didn't give a toss about controversy at The Olympia.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #432 on: July 26, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
 NO. CBS was NOT there! Arnold started that "rumor".  People were asking him if he was going to compete. They were all scared he was going to compete. He was worried they might drop out with some bullshit excuse so he said he was "going there to do the color commentary". That he was not competing. He said he was only getting big again for conan ( which WAS true) but then he decided to shut Mentzer the fuck up and compete. He was there with his OWN film crew to film it. NOT cbs. So when they seen a film crew and Arnold there the competitors all just thought it was for CBS until Arnold showed up last minute to the competitors meeting. And oh boy were there some pissed of mofos then!! So that is what actually happened. There was not a cbs crew or film. So let it go people. Arnold won He didn't look like Arnold but still better than those other panty wastes

SAF

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #433 on: July 26, 2023, 12:24:22 PM »
I don't know if you guys read, but read the article. And, yes, CBS was there. And, yes, CBS Sports used to cover real sporting events -- and as the article said, they did air bodybuilding until 1979. In 1981 they passed. And they do care about the judging and other aspects. The "sport" came on TV in the 1980s, I think through ABC, but ABC (or it could've been NBC, can't remember) threatened to pull women's bodybuilding coverage when it got too drugged up and obvious -- and they did. I was at one contest before the coverage was pulled. Yes, they used to send real camera crews. That's how people saw things before the Internet.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #434 on: July 26, 2023, 03:38:52 PM »
You were told wrong, there is footage of arnold hitting a lat spread more then once, i actually screenshot it myself. Infact he hit other poses probably not usually seen previously in his routine like the ab/thigh.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #435 on: July 26, 2023, 03:43:33 PM »
 :)

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #436 on: July 26, 2023, 04:23:18 PM »

Nonsense.

SAF

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #437 on: July 26, 2023, 08:50:34 PM »
"Nonsense"

If it's nonsense, why did CBS have rights to broadcast the 1979 Olympia -- and did -- and the 1981 Olympia -- and didn't? They had the rights, they had a film crew there, it's well known -- and pretty much as simple as that.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #438 on: July 27, 2023, 12:41:09 AM »

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #439 on: July 27, 2023, 02:15:13 AM »
Walker looks narrow in comparison.

Pretty damn good back there.

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #440 on: July 27, 2023, 05:17:39 AM »
:D 

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #441 on: July 27, 2023, 08:29:42 AM »
"Nonsense"

If it's nonsense, why did CBS have rights to broadcast the 1979 Olympia -- and did -- and the 1981 Olympia -- and didn't? They had the rights, they had a film crew there, it's well known -- and pretty much as simple as that.

It isn't, 1979 wasn't broadcasted because cbs weren't there. In 1980 cbs didn't broadcast because they weren't there. It's just a myth that started off as a rumour then become part of the1980 "scandal" (snigger) because both Coe and methzer thought that by saying that CBS wouldn't air the contest would give their story some weight because both of them were salty losers.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #442 on: July 27, 2023, 11:00:42 AM »
Arnold spun the lie that he was at the 1980 Olympia to do commentary for CBS. Maybe that's another reason people believe they were there...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #443 on: July 27, 2023, 11:04:31 AM »
It wasn't exactly a secret that Arnold was going to compete in 1980

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #444 on: July 27, 2023, 11:39:54 AM »
Arnold spun the lie that he was at the 1980 Olympia to do commentary for CBS. Maybe that's another reason people believe they were there...

I heard this before.  Arnold had a film crew following him around and Platz did too. Someone else as well. Arnold said  it was for CBS.

Later the only video that was aired was produced by Paul Graham. The Comeback or total rebuild or whatever it's called. Not surprisingly it obviously features Arnold but a lot of Platz too.

Did 1980 kill prime time coverage of bodybuilding? Maybe but doubtful.  It was still a niche. Yeah Louie had Hulk but Arnolds career hadn't exactly taken off yet. Zane was the face of bodybuilding at the time and he had about as much charisma as a cardboard box.  Bodybuilding had much more mainstream appeal in the mid to late 80's at the height of Muscle and Fitness readership and the hieght of the super jacked Hollywood action hero: Arnold, Stallone,  Van Damme, etc...and yet none of those Olympias were covered by the major networks.  Some shows were covered by espn.

Maybe they didn't air it because it was competing with other networks television line up? Maybe there was a different sporting event that cbs aired instead. Its likely CBS aired 1979 but decided bodybuilding contests were actually fairly boring for a mainstream audience...who knows but there's a possibilty that CBS wasn't even there...

Im sure if Arnold was guaranteed to be color commentary on CBS he would've rather done that then compete. He probably left his options open until the last minute and when it seemed CBS wasn't going to need him (because they decided not to go) he said ok, ill compete. For him it was about any publicity to get his career in Hollywood going. He would've otherwise looked at bodybuilding competition as a step backward in his career since he was always goal oriented.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #445 on: July 27, 2023, 11:46:30 AM »

Yep. The thing is the other contenders like Coe, Zane and meth head didn't believe the rumours that Arnold was going to compete even though they were told weeks before the event.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #446 on: July 27, 2023, 05:02:30 PM »
There was a rumor that when Coe found out Arnold was competing his wig actually jumped off of his skull doing a 360 before landing back in place

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2023, 01:08:12 AM »
Yes, Walker looked great from the front though.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2023, 01:30:30 PM »

Yeah but at the time it was all hype to make noise around Olympia time ...Nobody thought it could be possible no one !  ...I mean Arnold have moved to bigger and better things and shrunk by early 76'

It was like Kai Greene "coming back" few years ago ......But even less provable.... 

When Arnold was announced as a competitor that October 4th 1980.....there was terror in Sydney....
Some didn't even recovered.

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHH   The Show

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »
:D 

The best part of interview?

" When Big Lou was posing, he had his dad behind the curtains telling him what poses to hit "

WoooOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   Potatoe head LMAO