Author Topic: Increase deadlift tips  (Read 9499 times)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Increase deadlift tips
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »
Ok so I've kind of neglected the deadlift and just did it every once and a while on either legs or back days but I'm getting back into it and as kind of a side goal I want to pull 7plates a side on the bar pulled 5 plates the other day rather easy  8) but today is back day so I will go for 6 plates may struggle a little with 6 but I am sure I can get it any tips would b appreciated really just any to b able to say I can pull 7 for personal interests and I'm trying to stay body weight under 220lbs despite supplements and food any body post up some good informative links or vids or advise would b cool thanks

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Increase deadlift tips
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »
You seem to know what your doing with the DL in the past, with your training and workouts. If your going for a PR (personal record) of 7 plates, after time away from that lift, might suggest going back up slowly. Try not rushing the weight on the bar too much. DL's can be very unforgiving it not fully ready for them. with pulled muscles, ligaments & tendons. Not to mention doing damage to the ego. Had you done 7 plates in the past, in a regular training  (singles, doubles, etc)?

If doing that 5 plate thing rather easily, might suggest taking a jump up with around a 40lb increase and a few more reps than you might normally do in  a workout. If that 40 seems  smooth enough, than slap on another 20lbs for the final set. If that 20lbs seemed a bit rough than do another set back with the 40lbs again.You don't want to struggle when getting the body back in a more serious lifting mood, might do more harm than good.

Again, you don't want to rush the weight on the bar.  With that testing of the 5 plate DL, jumping to a 90lbs (2 plates) increase (after being away from the DL) for the next workout may not be the best plan. 7 plates is a good lift for a 220 lifter. Just suggesting the adapting of the body, and mental approach, may require a bit more time on your part, with the other goal being not to get any unneeded injury's to set back you progress along the way. Sitting out 3 to 5 months, while you recover from a torn this or that, is not in anyone's future plans. DL's can produce some very unexpected surprises from time to time.

Good Luck
F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:10:41 AM »
Well I have decided to stay at 5 plates and get it for 3 reps until moving up and trying 6 and go up slowly some reason the DL feels way better to me now than before and I am really enjoying them for now

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »
pestosterone

Congrats, sounds like you have a good plan.  Re-adapting to the big boy exercises (DL) , and getting the groove back, may take a bit longer, but pays off in the end. Some guys will just over ride common sense, rushing the weight too early, with too much on the bar. Even a few experienced lifters I've come across, from time to time, suffer injuries that really never needed to happen.

Notice this a lot with the BP, even when trying to break the somewhat lighter 300 bench barrier. Blowing out the shoulder, pec, etc. Train heavy, but train smart...of course.

Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »
What is your previous max pull?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »
Like 8!years ago I pulled 5plates  but it was way harder back then I felt as if I could pull the 5 plates for 5 reps now I'm gonna try saturday for reps  I usually train higher reps but with decent weights some times

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
Like 8!years ago I pulled 5plates  but it was way harder back then I felt as if I could pull the 5 plates for 5 reps now I'm gonna try saturday for reps  I usually train higher reps but with decent weights some times
Hmmm
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »
I'm considerably bigger and thus just stronger now

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
Hmmmmm......indeed.

Might want to throw in a couple of sets off boxes, platforms, rack, etc, with the bar positioned around the lower/mid quad area. Might try these at the end of your DL's. Can help getting use to handling heavier weight as you progress. Don't know how your grip is, but handling heavier weight this way improves it pretty well. .If you use straps, still a good idea for the body to adapt to greater weight load this way. Extra good for the traps if trying a couple of shrugs at the top position. Even if it's a inch or so.

Bigger does not always compute to being stronger. All goes back  to the quality of training.

Good Luck.  
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
I'm considerably bigger and thus just stronger now
5 plates for 3 doesn't  equal a 6 plate pull. Definitely a long way from 7 plates. I've found rack pulls and reverse bands have helped me alot.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
5 plates for 3 doesn't  equal a 6 plate pull. Definitely a long way from 7 plates. I've found rack pulls and reverse bands have helped me alot.

Yes I realize 5x3 won't equal 6 I may only get 2 reps I may get more? can't wait till Saturday though ...rack pulls i havnt done in a few months need to go heavy on those again thanks I use straps when my grip fails a few sets and starts to ruin a longer workout and I try to limit my use of those I mainly use them to soften the feel of the bar because my caluses stay soft from work and hands stay beat up

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
I like this program:

http://www.basbarbell.com/2013/06/6-weeks-to-new-deadlift-max.html

Work up to a new max though several cycles.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 02:51:53 AM »
I like this program:

http://www.basbarbell.com/2013/06/6-weeks-to-new-deadlift-max.html

Work up to a new max though several cycles.
Thanks cool site http://www.basbarbell.com/2015/02/deads-sturgill-good-read.html?m=1
Also this is very cool little read as well, similar to my situation

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:50:21 PM »
pestosterone

Congrats, sounds like you have a good plan.  Re-adapting to the big boy exercises (DL) , and getting the groove back, may take a bit longer, but pays off in the end. Some guys will just over ride common sense, rushing the weight too early, with too much on the bar. Even a few experienced lifters I've come across, from time to time, suffer injuries that really never needed to happen.

Notice this a lot with the BP, even when trying to break the somewhat lighter 300 bench barrier. Blowing out the shoulder, pec, etc. Train heavy, but train smart...of course.

Good Luck.
Oh dude don't even talk about the BP lol I rarely do that lift on a flat bench anymore unless I'm training chest with a friend im the only person on the planet who will do a chestday without a flat barbell press lol most recent dude I've seen fucked his collar bone or rotater cuff up one of the 2 he hopped on a cycle and of course got stronger and regularly pushes 405x2 so he moved up to 455 then tried 495 in a matter of 2 weeks!!!! I told his ass and now he can't do any upper body for a while. It's a shame 2 he is an ox strong dude for 25years old

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 06:52:58 AM »
I never do the deadlift....Never really got any mass gains from it although people talk about how good it is for muscle. Never do flat barbell bench anymore either and all my lifts have been increasing since j switched to dumbbells. When I benched with a bar I would do 12 reps of 225 for 5 sets and had a max of 315. I tried the bench the other day Since lifted with a friend and my max is now 345 after quitting benching. My body is weird

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 07:01:47 AM »
Dumbbells are great for Benches and Deadlifts too. You donīt see it much now. I like stiff legged Deads with Dumbbells. Are super heavy Deads necessary for a big back? not really. However a very good lift which i will leave to the powerlifters on here.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
Dumbbells are great for Benches and Deadlifts too. You donīt see it much now. I like stiff legged Deads with Dumbbells. Are super heavy Deads necessary for a big back? not really. However a very good lift which i will leave to the powerlifters on here.

Exactly! I think people underestimate the power of the dumbbell and rely way too much on the barbell

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 07:23:29 AM »
Exactly! I think people underestimate the power of the dumbbell and rely way too much on the barbell
quite a jump in your Bench press..just looked at that in kilos. Unilateral type training i have always liked. so much more stabilizing muscles activated with Dumbbells. a lot more Healthy in my opinion..getting back to Deadlifts, Dumbbell Deadlifts i like. if you have no trap Bar they are perfect. Not by any means a powerlifter but people will argue that with a bar you can lift more but i think Dumbbells give a unique training effect no Barbell can give.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 07:25:54 AM »
quite a jump in your Bench press..just looked at that in kilos. Unilateral type training i have always liked. so much more stabilizing muscles activated with Dumbbells. a lot more Healthy in my opinion..getting back to Deadlifts, Dumbbell Deadlifts i like. if you have no trap Bar they are perfect. Not by any means a powerlifter but people will argue that with a bar you can lift more but i think Dumbbells give a unique training effect no Barbell can give.

I actually switched over to dumbbells to fix an uneven pec problem but ended up just sticking with dumbbells and quit bench altogether. The only time I use a barbell to bench is when I use the smith machine for incline bench. Great contraction and gives you nice controlled bench

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
I actually switched over to dumbbells to fix an uneven pec problem but ended up just sticking with dumbbells and quit bench altogether. The only time I use a barbell to bench is when I use the smith machine for incline bench. Great contraction and gives you nice controlled bench
I agree with you.. Flat Bench is over used and over rated. Decline or Dips are better in my opinion. Smith machine i have to admit i use now and again for chest but your are again correct a good smooth movement but the stabilizers are out on this.. however you can concentrate on the lift more... 50/50 really. whats the answer? swap smith machine over now and again with incline DB press.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 08:01:13 AM »
I agree with you.. Flat Bench is over used and over rated. Decline or Dips are better in my opinion. Smith machine i have to admit i use now and again for chest but your are again correct a good smooth movement but the stabilizers are out on this.. however you can concentrate on the lift more... 50/50 really. whats the answer? swap smith machine over now and again with incline DB press.

Never really tried the decline bench but I always try to incorporate the decline chest press into my chest day. I also agree with you how swapping out smith incline with dumbbell incline is also a great idea. There's also this one exercise I use that no one really uses. I get 15 or 20lb dumbbells and lay down flat on a bench and let my arms go down with the dumbbels like im doing cable flies laying down so your palms are facing up then bring my arms up all the way up till my hands touch so it's like a cable fly but I twist my hands in so at the top, my thumb sides are facing the ceiling. It always gives me the craziest pump and probably the best chest finisher I use at the end of my lift

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »
Dumbbells give a unique training effect no Barbell can give.
I rarely do them but heavy db deads while standing on a plate are killer!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »
I rarely do them but heavy db deads while standing on a plate are killer!
never done them standing on a plate... Stiff deads off a bench but good tip thanks. We can learn from you powerlifting guys too. No arse licking intended ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
never done them standing on a plate... Stiff deads off a bench but good tip thanks. We can learn from you powerlifting guys too. No arse licking intended ;D
Everyone starts as a bodybiilder, some of us outgrow the vanity. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
Everyone starts as a bodybiilder, some of us outgrow the vanity. :D
tell that to the man you see in the mirror :D