Author Topic: My kid last night hitting 480lbs  (Read 28302 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: My kid last night hitting 480lbs
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
I love when people who talk shit about someone else that say "post a pic or video" never posts one up themselves. Lol

Your turn. Post a pic.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
I love when people who talk shit about someone else that say "post a pic or video" never posts one up themselves. Lol

Your turn. Post a pic.

Here is a screenshot pic of my video that I posted where I made an outlandish claim: 

Nothing. 

Because I didn't post any video making an outlandish claim needing to be backed up.

And as for you smart guy, the 2 pics you posted are just of him holding that weight on his back, not squatting.  What did the bar move there an inch?  I give that kid props for holding that much weight and he looks like he's got a good muscular frame, but he didn't squat 480.  If he did, you would have posted a picture of him doing something other than holding up a bar.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »
Here is a screenshot pic of my video that I posted where I made an outlandish claim:  

Nothing.  

Because I didn't post any video making an outlandish claim needing to be backed up.

And as for you smart guy, the 2 pics you posted are just of him holding that weight on his back, not squatting.  What did the bar move there an inch?  I give that kid props for holding that much weight and he looks like he's got a good muscular frame, but he didn't squat 480.  If he did, you would have posted a picture of him doing something other than holding up a bar.

Again, feel free to come train with on either a max lower or upper. You seem to be avoiding this invite. I've had several solid getbiggers in to train. Check that. You're invited to come in for the entire week.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:21 PM »

Nothing.  

And as for you smart guy, the 2 pics you posted are just of him holding that weight on his back, not squatting.  What did the bar move there an inch?  I give that kid props for holding that much weight and he looks like he's got a good muscular frame, but he didn't squat 480.  If he did, you would have posted a picture of him doing something other than holding up a bar.

Actually you just posted that you did 315 x 31. Even 315 x 15 would put you at around a 515 1RM. 31 would be like what? Close to 700-750 or more?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »

Nothing.  

Here Ya go. I'm not good at technology so it takes me awhile to figure this stuff out. He's in the concentric in this capture. And BTW, no. The spotter isn't helping what so ever. Even though we have 3 spotters and safety bars I require that the spotters stay close. These are still kids.

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
Does he always squat with his elbows flared so far back like that? Most of the good squatters I know tend to keep their elbows up and under the bar to keep their chest up and to prevent them from folding forward. Surely being a kid and not that big he could also get his hand spacing in a bit closer as well, does wonders for upper back tightness in the squat. Just an observation.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2015, 12:02:36 AM »
Does he always squat with his elbows flared so far back like that? Most of the good squatters I know tend to keep their elbows up and under the bar to keep their chest up and to prevent them from folding forward. Surely being a kid and not that big he could also get his hand spacing in a bit closer as well, does wonders for upper back tightness in the squat. Just an observation.

Personally I kind of think that's splitting hairs but that's ok. He's done that since day one. It's a habit but I see what you're saying. But it works for him. He does stay upright, chest up, spine and head neutral. Squats wide (at least as wide as the racks foot print and squats barefoot (he just socks). But he's comfortable with it.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »
Why is everyone opposed to box squats?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2015, 12:51:34 AM »

Most don't know any better. If we were bodybuilding we wouldn't be doing box squats but we have a different purpose. But still the arguments go on. It's all good though.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2015, 01:00:18 AM »
The thing is that it's hard to say if this poundage is any good or not because this type of box squat can in no way be compared to a regular full squat. Coach posted some of their box squatting a long time ago and you can probably do about double compared to a full regular squat. So quoting a number is pretty meaningless. Coach, how much would you be able to do with this type of style?

What does you kid deadlift? Regular deadlift, not the special bar you use that's more like a squat. That would say more about his strength. I'm going to make a wild guess and say he does not do regular deadlifts, you can do so much more with that special dead-squat bar.  :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
The thing is that it's hard to say if this poundage is any good or not because this type of box squat can in no way be compared to a regular full squat. Coach posted some of their box squatting a long time ago and you can probably do about double compared to a full regular squat. So quoting a number is pretty meaningless. Coach, how much would you be able to do with this type of style?

What does you kid deadlift? Regular deadlift, not the special bar you use that's more like a squat. That would say more about his strength. I'm going to make a wild guess and say he does not do regular deadlifts, you can do so much more with that special dead-squat bar.  :D

Again, we train to a different modality. We are sport specific. I stated the reasons why we box squat a million times. You asked what I did. My last heavy box squat was my 90% and that was 505. As far as deads, we pull three ways, pin pulls (mostly knee dominant) from the floor and trap bar. We normally don't pull for 1rm. We go 3-5 reps. His pin pulls are around 405 x 3, from the floor around 385x 3 and trap he's at about 415 x 3. (standard trap bar is 55lbs) with athletes I limit the straight bar time due to the possibly of Bicep tendon injury.

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »

I think some are put off by box squats because for awhile they were made out to be the holy grail, now that raw lifting has really taken off and records are being broken left and right we see that almost none of the good raw lifters use box squats. Also there are just so many cooler, less pussified version of the squat such as pause squats, front squats, band squats, pin squats etc to really bother much with box squats. If your posterior chain needs specific work deadlift variations, back raises, good mornings, glute-ham raises etc all a better option imo.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2015, 01:38:46 AM »
Again, we train to a different modality. We are sport specific. I stated the reasons why we box squat a million times. You asked what I did. My last heavy box squat was my 90% and that was 505. As far as deads, we pull three ways, pin pulls (mostly knee dominant) from the floor and trap bar. We normally don't pull for 1rm. We go 3-5 reps. His pin pulls are around 405 x 3, from the floor around 385x 3 and trap he's at about 415 x 3. (standard trap bar is 55lbs) with athletes I limit the straight bar time due to the possibly of Bicep tendon injury.

Alright, I can believe those poundages.  8)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2015, 01:49:13 AM »
I think some are put off by box squats because for awhile they were made out to be the holy grail, now that raw lifting has really taken off and records are being broken left and right we see that almost none of the good raw lifters use box squats. Also there are just so many cooler, less pussified version of the squat such as pause squats, front squats, band squats, pin squats etc to really bother much with box squats. If your posterior chain needs specific work deadlift variations, back raises, good mornings, glute-ham raises etc all a better option imo.

We do deadlift, GHR's,etc speed days we use chain and bands using wave periodization each week. Vary the lifts, etc example would be on me upper, one week, regular bench, one week floor, one week board, one week reverse band bench although not so much because it's a pain in the ass to set up.

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »
Yeah, sounds like you follow a Westside/conjugate template, I have quite a bit of experience with that sort of programming myself. I prefer to set up my own training using more of a Block periodization scheme however.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2015, 02:34:40 AM »
why are the bars bending with such light weight?

The bar in the first pic is bent from years of having heavy weights left on it, it took a perma set. It was more common when you had narrow benches, allowing for more droop on the ends of the bar. You'll sometimes see it if a bar is dropped across a bench too, but that is less common. Usually when this happened, the bars became a makeshift cambered bar for squatting. When they are bent like that, it allows for longer hand placement which some squatters like.

The second pic is Pisarenko, who in addition to having an awesome stache, was one of the closest men to a #600 Clean and Jerk -

In that case, the bar is showing a somewhat extreme bend in relation to weight because it's being done on a proper weightlifting bar, than say a general purpose or powerlifting bar. They are generally left more springy than the latter two.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2015, 02:52:11 AM »
Gym owners like the coach are dangerous. Why would anyone encourage a 17 year old to use that much weight? That can't be justified to me.

Do full squats like Tom Platz recommends and forget about all that other crap with boxes and chains. There is absolutely no need to do

a squat for a single. I shake my head at some of the silly things done in gyms.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2015, 03:14:23 AM »
Gym owners like the coach are dangerous. Why would anyone encourage a 17 year old to use that much weight? That can't be justified to me.

Do full squats like Tom Platz recommends and forget about all that other crap with boxes and chains. There is absolutely no need to do

a squat for a single. I shake my head at some of the silly things done in gyms.

Were you born with a vagina or did that come later?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2015, 03:28:34 AM »
Not only are you irresponsible you are also quite a nasty person. Congratulations.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:55 AM »

a squat for a single. I shake my head at some of the silly things done in gyms.[/color]

So, for a complex group of larger muscles like the legs, you want simplicity.

But for a smaller show muscle like biceps, however, you need to engage NASA to build equipment to train it properly?

Either way, Vince, Platz was squatting for development, not athletic performance.

Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2015, 04:09:01 AM »

What does you kid deadlift? Regular deadlift, not the special bar you use that's more like a squat. That would say more about his strength.

VB, always like your posts.  But here, it only says "more" about his strength because you're bench marking it against a standard that your familiar with.  If you're a trainer who is familiar with the hex bar, you'd be able to interpret what poundages used by that method mean in terms of measuring strength.
Y

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2015, 04:18:51 AM »
So, for a complex group of larger muscles like the legs, you want simplicity.

But for a smaller show muscle like biceps, however, you need to engage NASA to build equipment to train it properly?

Either way, Vince, Platz was squatting for development, not athletic performance.

I have never been impressed with strength coaches or athletic coaches re their knowledge about training. A lot of incompetent people out there.

There are a lot of ways to train biceps but only a few that are effective once you get over a certain size. I doubt NASA could have designed

my machine. Different technology.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2015, 04:23:12 AM »
I have never been impressed with strength coaches or athletic coaches re their knowledge about training. A lot of incompetent people out there.

There are a lot of ways to train biceps but only a few that are effective once you get over a certain size. I doubt NASA could have designed

my machine. Different technology.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but to suggest to some one who trains professional athletes for strength and speed that his clients would be better off training like a steroid fueled bodybuilder from the 80s is just plain silly.
Y

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2015, 04:30:34 AM »
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but to suggest to some one who trains professional athletes for strength and speed that his clients would be better off training like a steroid fueled bodybuilder from the 80s is just plain silly.

I stand by what I wrote. Athletes should never train with really heavy singles, period. That is demonstrating and not building strength. I could care less if that is what a lot of people do.

Have a look at the old guys in the game. Many have broken bodies. Who needs that?

Coach always criticizes whatever I write about training and I so dislike ignorant people who don't know how to have an intellectual discussion.

He is damaging his athletes, not helping them. Sooner or later they will get injuries and those are not necessary at all. It is reprehensible to do that to family members.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2015, 06:01:51 AM »
I actually agree with Basile to an extent on this one.

Is it necessary for a 17 year to do box squats with near 500lbs? Is it really improving his athletic performance anymore than just regular ATG squats with 3/5ths of that weight would? I’m not sure.
I can understand that it’s occasionally good for an athlete to go heavy as it gets them familiar with the bigger loads among other reasons but I think the kid could wait a few more years before he starts doing it.

At the moment, it just seems like a way to massage the kid’s ego if anything.