Author Topic: the movie interstellar  (Read 7622 times)

Europe

• Getbig IV
Re: the movie interstellar
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
Did you watch the movie? They went to a planet and they had to make the visit really quick because every hour they spent there was the same as 10 years on earth - or something stupid like that. That's why the main character's daughter was an old lady when he got back.

lol it's called "the theory of relativity"

Vid explanation starts at 6.45:

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
Two conflicting examples in separate posts. That's what you gave. You're talking out of both sides of you mouth.

You said nothing is all this or all that and while that's true, in this case it seems to be a bit of a copout on your part. At some point you end up seeming muddled and confused. Take one position and explore that completely rather then argue two topics/positions at once.

To some, it appears you rewrote your original post because it simply doesn't support what you were hoping to say. If no one had a memory and you'd deleted the first post, your shenanigan might have succeeded.
no one here failed to disprove or even attemt either one of my examples
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Marty. I admire your curiosity about how things work and the fact that you are willing to put yourself out on a limb it invite a discussion. But you need clearer thinking if you are hoping to convince anyone of you theories and ideas. Often you just come off like your stoned. I doubt that's the impression you intend to make....but, I could be wrong.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »

Vid explanation starts at 6.45:

just because you go fast in a rocket doesnt mean earth people age faster than you

That is the whole bs foundation of relativity and interstellar
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »
no one here failed to disprove or even attemt either one of my examples

That's quite possibly because they make no sense to anyone here.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Marty. I admire your curiosity about how things work and the fact that you are willing to put yourself out on a limb it invite a discussion. But you need clearer thinking if you are hoping to convince anyone of you theories and ideas. Often you just come off like your stoned. I doubt that's the impression you intend to make....but, I could be wrong.
so going fast in a rocket or car or bike makes you magically age slower than someone still?
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »
That's quite possibly because they make no sense to anyone here.
that is what time dilation means, it says if you go fast you age slower than someone who is still
A

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »
just because you go fast in a rocket doesnt mean earth people age faster than you

The Theory of relativity is based on an equation. I asked my professor about this some time ago 'time dilation'.. he said until you can come up with a better equation.. most will stick with Einstein's equation

It's explained in the video too, that time may feel the same for you and me, but while on a speeding rocket it changes.

However yes in a philosophical way yes time is the same where ever you are.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »
Is this what you're talking about?

Clocks on the Space Shuttle ran slightly slower than reference clocks on Earth, while clocks on GPS and Galileo satellites run slightly faster. Such time dilation has been repeatedly demonstrated, for instance by small disparities in atomic clocks on Earth and in space, even though both clocks work perfectly (it is not a mechanical malfunction). The laws of nature are such that time itself (i.e. spacetime) will bend due to differences in either gravity or velocity – each of which affects time in different ways

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 08:42:08 PM »

Who you shitting Prime, you admire Marty's 10 inch meat rocket...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
Who you shitting Prime, you admire Marty's 10 inch meat rocket...

Whatever your fantasy, feel free to express it. -Makes no nevermind to me.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »

do you understand that if the gravitation was so great, they would've gotten get crushed in a microsecond? Just like time goes slower as you go faster - but you have to go near speed of light to see any difference. Astronauts that have spent a year or two in space circling earth at very high speed (by earth standards) have gained a second or two of extra time.

Comprende?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »
do you understand that if the gravitation was so great, they would've gotten get crushed in a microsecond? Just like time goes slower as you go faster - but you have to go near speed of light to see any difference. Astronauts that have spent a year or two in space circling earth at very high speed (by earth standards) have gained a second or two of extra time.

Comprende?
how can you go in a rocket and watch a ten hour movie in the fast rocket but be back on earth in 3hrs??
A

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »

Comprende?

thank you captain Obvious..

But that part was science fiction that if you enter a black hole, most scientist/physicist will agree that you'll get stretched like a spaghetti(1.0 heaths wide).

capisce??

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
how can you go in a rocket and watch a ten hour movie in the fast rocket but be back on earth in 3hrs??
you just einstein it

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »

Comprende?

Its called a MOVIE!!! Surely, not everything can be 100% factual, as the main point of a movie is to ENTERTAIN!!
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2015, 03:21:07 AM »
It was off so much that it was ridiculous and annoying, not entertaining. Sure gravity can make you age faster but had they gone to an actual planet that aged them that quickly, they would've been crushed into a flat pancake in a microsecond.

The planet was in the "event horizon" in a stable orbit. Such a place could exist, where the gravity tidal forces cause time dilation at logarithmic distance scale.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 03:47:48 AM »
rearead post

In other words

Time Dilation implies you do things faster or slower depending on how fast you are going. Which is wrong if it takes 100 hours to watch bates motel season on earth , this 100 hours is unchangeable no matter where you are or how fast you go

Physicists would have you beleive gravity effects time, which is wrong

Nothing can effect time. Nothing so far can make you gather the knowledge of 100 hours of bates motel in 50 hours. The only way to maybe do this is add to our info storing capabilites. Much like how dna stores info in a helix rather than a strait line...but going fast or high gravity does not increase our information gathering rate capabilities

No it doesn't.  

It is only in reference to other people (hence "relativity").  Each person watches the movie in the same length of time in their reference frame. 

It has to do with constraints on the speed of light...But even then, it's only a special case for inertial reference frames.  

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2015, 05:43:27 AM »
Did you watch the movie? They went to a planet and they had to make the visit really quick because every hour they spent there was the same as 10 years on earth - or something stupid like that. That's why the main character's daughter was an old lady when he got back.

I did watch the movie.

I had assumed their traveling through the wormhole for what felt like X years to them, actually equated to XX years back on earth.

I was far more interested in figuring out a way to end up on a planet alone with Anne Hathaway than worrying about a guy floating through a black hole in a space suit.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »

It's verified by experiment. 

Atomic clocks on airplanes show less time elapsed than atomic clocks left on the ground.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
The planet was in the "event horizon" in a stable orbit. Such a place could exist, where the gravity tidal forces cause time dilation at logarithmic distance scale.

But magically as long as you don't land on the planet and stay few miles away, time doesn't go any faster? Makes lots of sense.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2015, 04:47:44 PM »
No it doesn't.  

It is only in reference to other people (hence "relativity").  Each person watches the movie in the same length of time in their reference frame. 

It has to do with constraints on the speed of light...But even then, it's only a special case for inertial reference frames.  
time dilation says you can go in a rocket and watch a 10 hour movie in the rocket and be back on earth in 3 earth hours

Total bullshit! time dilation disproved
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »
time dilation says you can go in a rocket and watch a 10 hour movie in the rocket and be back on earth in 3 earth hours

You're missing the bigger point here.

A ten-hour film, whether viewed on earth or aboard the Starship Enterprise, is not so much an opportunity to examine time dilation; instead, it is a window into the soul of a self-important director, who believes his shit is so brilliant it couldn't possibly be edited down to a more consumable 120-50 minutes.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
But magically as long as you don't land on the planet and stay few miles away, time doesn't go any faster? Makes lots of sense.

The time dilation effect is a logarithmic function of distance from the gravity source: the black hole. If the ship stayed on the far side of the planet, the time dilation effects of the gravity well would have been less for the ship than on the planet's surface. Yes. It mathematically works.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »

Good point.

Step 1: publish your findings
Step 2: win Nobel prize
Step 3: profit!