Author Topic: lying extensions  (Read 1052 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
lying extensions
« on: February 27, 2006, 04:48:41 PM »
hey guys
I was wondering, whats the best way to get the weight to the starting point.  I  train by myself alot. and when I do lying extension, I put the EZ on my stomach. as I would if i was doing a lying dumbbell exerise. the EZ bar that my gym has sucks. in the middle, were the grips are,  moves/rolotes around.  so, when I'm lying down with the bar on my stomach, the grip part rolotes and sometimes it gets stuck on my ribs or i just simply  loose my grip but of the rolations if me lying down.. when this some ppl tell me to put the bar on the floor in front of the bench. but that seems to not work for me and it doesnt seems to be the safest way to  get it up to arms lengh.. so guys what is the safest way i can get the EZ bar up to arms legh??  how do you guys do it??

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: lying extensions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »
You can set the weight on the bench and then clean it up while you get into the lying position on the bench.  If you go heavy, get a spotter to hand you the weight instead.  I don't skullcrushers becuase of elbow pain.  IMO, seated french presses are better; less strain on the elbows, and it more effectively recruits the long head of the triceps.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: lying extensions
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:18:40 PM »
After YEARS of the same kind of problem, here are the best solutions:

Use a decline bench, which moves the bar within closer reach behind you on the ground. The decline bench intensifies muscle stimulation while almost completely removing any elbow strain. This is an awesome triceps exercise, easily one of the best and far better than the standard version. I'm assuming that you're doing the movement to well behind and below the back of your head. If not, it's time..

To make it even better, hold the end of single dumbbell with both hands. Between sets the dumbbell is left standing straight up on end behind you on the ground, leaving it far closer and easier to reach than a barbell. This grip is comparable and IMO better than that of an E-Z curl bar or even a hammer grip bar.

Or: Using an E-Z or hammer grip bar, use bigger plates or prop up each side of the plates with something underneath,to raise the bar closer to your reach behind you.

As shown:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BBDeclineTriExt.html