Author Topic: art of the binge  (Read 18257 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: art of the binge
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 12:01:58 AM »
Fuck the plan and fuck your experiments.  Its not like you are going to accomplish anything else.

Its quite difficult to get fat.  Just eat less if you do.

Just eyeball it.  Hell, don`t even do that.  Just eat and adjust every two weeks or something, depending on what you want to do.

What do you want to do?

That's a good question, and very hard for me to answer.  I agree with you, and know i cant significantly change my body at this point; or at least i dont believe i can.

I mostly like the way I look; I want to like the way I feel.  To do that, I need to change the way I think... Which is hard, and has to do with more than just eating and exercise.

Thanks for the advice.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
That's a good question, and very hard for me to answer.  I agree with you, and know i cant significantly change my body at this point; or at least i dont believe i can.

I mostly like the way I look; I want to like the way I feel.  To do that, I need to change the way I think... Which is hard, and has to do with more than just eating and exercise.

Thanks for the advice.
Here is a decent video that may help.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks.  I've been on vacation the past two days, and haven't tracked anything -- just eyeballed it. Under these relaxing conditions, I've had a fairly easy time on just one big meal a day; nice to eat out, too.  I like bring able to work out mid day, and eat a few hours later.

That said, on Thursday night I caved in to an unplanned binge -- the first unplanned one in a long while.  I was super stressed about getting my workout in before my flight the next day (at 5 am).  As the clock crept toward one, I just said fuck it and cleaned out my fridge:

- Bowl of pho I made for dinner
- Bowl of chicken soup
- Red banana with ellenos plain yogurt and peanut butter
- 'Zero bar' (candy bat I never heard of before -- like a white Snickers)
- 'Perfect bar', almond butter (these are so damn delicious)
- 3/4 pint gelato fiasco peanut butter stracciatella (best gelato brand, period)
- 3/4 pint talent I German chocolate cake
- Bowl of leftover mixed granolas

Nothing compared to my last binge, but it all started with the chicken soup.  I told myself I couldn't let it go bad... Lol.  Only after eating half of it (cold :x) did I realize I could have put it in the freezer.

By the way, I saw the nutrition facts for one of those giant cookies from my last binge, the peanut butter chocolate chip one... 840 cals ;D

Anyway, enough boring recount, back to the video: I always knew number-keeping was a beginners tool, and the goal ought to be to act instinctually.  Acting on instinct is efficient, easy, and frees your mind.  I think I'll get there some day, hopefully some day soon...

That guy has a better physique than me, certainly, but if he's six percent, then I'm at death's door ;D.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks.  I've been on vacation the past two days, and haven't tracked anything -- just eyeballed it. Under these relaxing conditions, I've had a fairly easy time on just one big meal a day; nice to eat out, too.  I like bring able to work out mid day, and eat a few hours later.

That said, on Thursday night I caved in to an unplanned binge -- the first unplanned one in a long while.  I was super stressed about getting my workout in before my flight the next day (at 5 am).  As the clock crept toward one, I just said fuck it and cleaned out my fridge:

Bowl of pho I made for dinner
Bowl of chicken soup
Red banana with ellenos plain yogurt and peanut butter
'Zero bar' (candy bat is never heard of before, like a white Snickers)
'Perfect bar', almond butter (these are so damn delicious)
3/4 pint gelato fiasco peanut butter stracciatella (best gelato brand, period)
3/4 pint talent I German chocolate cake
Bowl of leftover mixed granolas

Nothing compared to my last binge, but it all started with the chicken soup.  I told myself I couldn't let it go bad... Lol.  Only after eating half ofnit (cold :x) did I realize I could have put it in the freezer.

By the way, I saw the nutrition facts for one of those giant cookies from my last binge, the peanut butter chocolate chip one... 840 cals ;D

Anyway, enough boring recount, back to the video: I always knew number-keeping was a beginners tool, and the goal ought to be to act instinctually.  Acting on instinct is efficient, easy, and frees your mind.  I think I'll get there some day, hopefully some day soon...

That guy has a better physique than me, certainly, but if he's six percent, then I'm at death's door ;D.
Don't feel bad.  I am in the middle of a binger right now.  Well its been a continuation of yesterday of sorts.  It won't make one bit of difference though as I will just normalize calories for a few days and then do it all again!

I have a ton of food every 3 days or so it seems. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
Thanks.  I've been on vacation the past two days, and haven't tracked anything -- just eyeballed it. Under these relaxing conditions, I've had a fairly easy time on just one big meal a day; nice to eat out, too.  I like bring able to work out mid day, and eat a few hours later.

- Bowl of pho I made for dinner
- Bowl of chicken soup
- Red banana with ellenos plain yogurt and peanut butter
- 'Zero bar' (candy bat I never heard of before -- like a white Snickers)
- 'Perfect bar', almond butter (these are so damn delicious)
- 3/4 pint gelato fiasco peanut butter stracciatella (best gelato brand, period)
- 3/4 pint talent I German chocolate cake
- Bowl of leftover mixed granolas

Nothing compared to my last binge, but it all started with the chicken soup.  I told myself I couldn't let it go bad... Lol.  Only after eating half ofnit (cold :x) did I realize I could have put it in the freezer.

He is about that percentage.  Percentages look totally different on people.

Check out his video of getting his body fat DEXA Scanned.  The numbers don't lie.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »
Don't feel bad.  I am in the middle of a binger right now.  Well its been a continuation of yesterday of sorts.  It won't make one bit of difference though as I will just normalize calories for a few days and then do it all again!

I have a ton of food every 3 days or so it seems.  

Nice. i usually polish off whatever I couldn't finish the night before (unless its an epic quantity) the next morning.  In fact, I think that may have been what truly made me so sick  after my last binge.  I suspect, had I waited a few hours before chucking down those 4-5 leftover macaroons/minis, I might have been totally fine.

I was kicking myself on the fourth, though... Passed on some extremely tasty looking toffee / chocolate chip bars.  And today I limited myself to 1/3 of my mini 'peanut butter cookie dough smash' blizzard, and 1/5 of this crazy peanut butter/chocolate bar from whole foods...  :'(

Already got next Saturday mapped out, though :D

What have you put away over the last two days?  Share! :D

(Also interesting: galeniko recommended a 'cheat' every 3 days... Something I never did on my insane caffeine bender days, when I lost all the weight.  But iirc, his cheats were only like 3k cal for the whole day).

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2015, 10:05:16 PM »
He is about that percentage.  Percentages look totally different on people.

Check out his video of getting his body fat DEXA Scanned.  The numbers don't lie.

Yeah, I actually believe it even without watching the video.  He was in about the worst possible lighting... Sometimes I wonder what I'm at.  I used this shitty handheld machine my friend had, andnit kept giving me 'error code 4'.  We looked it up in the manual:  'body fat not in measurable range'

;D

AlphaGyno

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2015, 10:48:04 PM »
cheat meal!

key:

1.  variety!
2.  pastries, cookies, cakes!
3.  minimize fat/protein heavy foods
4.  take your time, enjoy!

Gayer than goodrums lovers

Simple Simon

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2015, 12:21:55 AM »
Fuck the plan and fuck your experiments.  Its not like you are going to accomplish anything else.

Its quite difficult to get fat.  Just eat less if you do.

Just eyeball it.  Hell, don`t even do that.  Just eat and adjust every two weeks or something, depending on what you want to do.

What do you want to do?

This. eat what you like and adjust your overall weekly calories
I am eating quite a lot (for me anyway) and Im not gaining that much fat , if any, If my low abs start blurring I will just eat less for three days and Im back where I started.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »
This. eat what you like and adjust your overall weekly calories
I am eating quite a lot (for me anyway) and Im not gaining that much fat , if any, If my low abs start blurring I will just eat less for three days and Im back where I started.

i feel like i looks like shit already... thinking it's cause i stopped doing 2-a-days, combining my morning workout into my evening workout, doing about 75% of the work overall.

of course i have almost no reason to believe this, weight hasn't changed.  just paranoid the striations are starting to fade, etc. probably lighting.

i know it's irrational, but what can i do... sigh

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
I last binged about a week and a half ago.  Oddly, my legs had been swollen (especially ankles) ever since.  This had worried me, since they usually only swell if I stand too much during the day -- and I had been sitting a lot in an attempt to alleviate the swelling.

Anyway, I had been pretty run down, and felt like it was time to binge again.  Had a nice biking workout beforehand:

It's a little hard to tell from this picture, but my calves and angles are smooth and bloated (as you'll see later).

I started by visiting the shop voted to have the "best cookies" in Seattle.  Damn, this place smelled good!!!  I didn't realize they specialized in ice-cream sandwiches.  Anyway, I held back as I had already purchased some sweets beforehand, and only picked up a "habanero orange chocolate chip" and "birthday cake" cookie.  I learned my lesson about over-indulging in sweets from my last binge...

I stowed these away and walked to a sandwich shop, where I picked up a fried chicken leg, pork belly, and roasted pepper sandwich:

While waiting for my order, I began... It was 9:30 PM and all had eaten nothing more than a few miscellaneous samples from a grocery store earlier in the day, about 200 cals.  After my 30 minutes of intervals on the bike, and having walked 10+ miles already at this point, I was ready to begin!  I snarfed the habanero orange chocolate chip cookie.

DELICIOUS!!!  Wow.  I probably only enjoyed it so much because it was my first food of the night, but it was a unique treat, any way you cut it.

Once the sandwich came out, I stashed it away and walked to a nearby bistro.  I ordered the "whole menu", a 12 course meal + a "chocolate comal" for dessert.  Basically a chocolate mousse + crumpled up brownie.  I'd never been to such a "fancy" restaurant before, and I certainly wouldn't go back.  Honestly it was a bit boring.  The menu was almost identical to that listed here, so I didn't bother with pictures:

http://blindpigbistro.com/whole-menu/

The beer bread, zabutan steak in charred eggplant sauce, and fried egg noodles were the best courses.

At this point, it was already 11 PM, so I had missed the opportunity to visit a famous noodle shop I'd wanted to try.  I started looking up "best late night dining" spots, and the most recommended was "biscuit bitch".  It was about 2 miles away, so I started my trek.

While travelling, I downed an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, plain chocolate chip cookie, a tiny lemon cookie, a raspberry rugelach, and a small chocolate-dipped peanut butter fudge wedge, all of which I had picked up at whole foods.  At this point, I felt satisfied.  This is the point I'll stop, in the future, I think... lol.

When I finally got to biscuit bitch, I knew I had made a mistake.  This was going to be a gut bomb.  The girl working the counter recommended the "hot mess bitch": a slathering of gravy, grits, eggs cheese and sausage on top of a huge biscuit.  I grabbed it and started walking back to the bus stop:

I decided to walk to a further stop as I ate -- at this point I felt like walking more would help, somehow.  During my walk, I polished off the hot mess bitch and sandwich, and started working on the four kinds of granola I had picked up earlier at whole foods.

I swear granola is a magical food.  It's like a "cure" that's so satisfying, it just lets me keep eating and eating...

By the time I arrived at the bus stop, I realized my mistake: the buses had stopped running about 30 minutes ago, and wouldn't start up for another four hours.  Sighing deeply, I saw my phone only had 3% battery left... I tried calling a friend for pickup, but he was asleep or something.  I started the nearly 5 mile hike home...

Luckily, I ran into a cab and flagged him down.  Whew.

When I got home, I knew there was no way I'd be able to finish the stuff I had bought the day before.  I often pick things up that look good, like the 'almond coconut chocolate chip scone' and chocolate mint tart pictured here:

This is always a mistake, though.  By the time I get home, I no longer want any of it.  Oh well, at least this time I didn't feel the need to finish anything, or push past the "pain point".

In fact, I realized that planning the binge takes most of the fun out of it.  Discovery is a huge part of the fun: just walking around, finding things that look tasty, and being able to indulge.

I finished about half the desserts and a little more of the granola (the amount picture about was about half of what I started out with -- ate the other half while walking home), then went to sleep around 4.  When I woke up:

holy shit!  legs and ankles were now 100% back to normal, and DAT VASCULARITY... wow.

Interestingly, while I was sitting around at the bistro earlier, I read some articles that seemed to describe a lot of what I had been going through: http://www.metabolicedge.net/2013/10/the-importance-of-cheat-meals-and-how.html

According to this article, chronic caloric deficit leads to fat loss (of course), but when fat gets too low, the hormone 'leptin' falls to such levels that the whole metabolism "slows".  I think this must be what happens to me, why I'm always cold (this never used to be the case when I was younger), how I never have energy, etc.

Interesting passage:

Leptin sensitivity is a critical point for a successful cheat meal. After a cheat meal, you should feel good, with lots of energy, more muscle definition and volume, and more vascularized, instead of being tired, hungry and with a fluid retention that covers any hint of muscle. If you are already with a good body composition, have been in a strict diet for a some days in a row, have been training with intensity and regularly you should certainly be more sensitive to leptin. This is what we seek: a primer for the cheat meal. Depending on the starting point, this level may take a few weeks to achieve. It takes experience to detect the right time, but this is precisely the feature that highlights an excellent athlete or coach and distinguishes from the ordinary. You can always go by trial and error, paying attention to your physical condition and energy in the hours following the meal and the day after.

It also reminded me a lot of Galeniko's advice, to 'cheat' every 3 days or so (something I believe Adonis does as well).

Certainly seems I had the symptoms listed above ("tired, hungry and with a fluid retention that covers any hint of muscle"), anyway.

All very strange and interesting.  This one, about the difficulty of diagnosing thyroid problems, also gives me many ideas: www.metabolicedge.net/2013/09/why-dieting-can-actually-make-you-fat.html

This metabolic slow down can be explained by leptin inhibition on energy deprivation. Leptin has a satiating effect on the brain and it activates the sympathetic nervous system, increasing the metabolism and lipolysis. But it has also influence on TSH production, stimulating its release from the pituitary. If we produce less leptin while on caloric restriction, and we always do, the output of TSH will be lower, and consequently T4 and T3 will drop. If we consider the TSH the marker of hypothyroidism, this will not be diagnosed because it will be normal to lower, a depression caused by energy deprivation that differs from classic hypothyroidism marked by high TSH levels.

But thyroid hormones are not the only ones influenced by this auto-induced survival mode. Sex hormones, specially testosterone, are also affected by a significant reduction, which can be in part explained by the lower leptin levels. Sex hormone inhibition is one of the first changes we experience when dieting hard for too long. Libido loss, loss of muscle mass, a reduction in bone mineral density, fatigue, depression, and irregular menstruation are common symptoms. Other important sign is a hemoglobin reduction, not necessarily below the reference range (levels below 14,5 g/dL are not common in normal men, and 13,6 is the lowest level acceptable). All this contributes to worsen this chronic and subclinical state, not diagnosed in most cases since the levels are still on the reference range. This only means you are on the average, but that’s not where I want to be. The mean of a sick population is still sick, not the optimal. Reference values hardly tell us anything. Your normal is not my normal, and actually I want to be optimal…

I continue to learn...

Rotten Mortimer

• Getbig II
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:00 AM »
Dude, you're one of the few interesting posters on here, but it's painful reading posts like the above. You're seem aware that you're morbidly self-obsessed and that it makes your life worse -- why the loving cataloguing of obsessive, destructive behavior?

growing lad

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »
You're disgustingly lean. Did I read you lost weight by the galeniko diet?

What's your normal macros?

I think you'd look so much better with 10-15lbs more muscle

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Your writing style reads like a serial killer.  ;D

I wish i could eat like that, my stomach can't handle sweets.

You are very lean.

Good job.

8)

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
I hope you get the professional help you need. Seriously.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Juan "Diesel" (::)) Morel has a video where he eats 20,000 calories in a day or something, he basically just eats ice cream mixed with crunched-up Oreos all day.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
I load up on calories usually 2-4 times a week.

Of course I burn a shit ton so nothing really happens.

When I talk of loading up, It gets crazy. 

Tell us about the crazy.  :)

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »
You guys have crazy metabolisms, I look at a pizza and I blow up.

I'm post vacation and I have mad pounds to lose. 

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:03 AM »
Dude, you're one of the few interesting posters on here, but it's painful reading posts like the above. You're seem aware that you're morbidly self-obsessed and that it makes your life worse -- why the loving cataloguing of obsessive, destructive behavior?

Thanks.  I wish I knew for sure.  I think sharing these stories is a way of having some fun... part of the 'escape' these episodes provide from the ordinary monotony.

You're disgustingly lean. Did I read you lost weight by the galeniko diet?

What's your normal macros?

I think you'd look so much better with 10-15lbs more muscle

Yeah.  I only keep track of protein.  Usually about 120-140 grams per day.  In the past, I tended to favor fats, because every 'bodybuilder' fears carbs.  I crave carbs though.  I thrive on them.  I'm starting to eat more of them.

Here I am about 10 lbs heavier.  I'm sure most people think I look better.  But I can't go back.  Not yet, anyway.  Toilet shot of peace.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2015, 10:25:02 AM »
Thanks.  I wish I knew for sure.  I think sharing these stories is a way of having some fun... part of the 'escape' these episodes provide from the ordinary monotony.

Yeah.  I only keep track of protein.  Usually about 120-140 grams per day.  In the past, I tended to favor fats, because every 'bodybuilder' fears carbs.  I crave carbs though.  I thrive on them.  I'm starting to eat more of them.

Here I am about 10 lbs heavier.  I'm sure most people think I look better.  But I can't go back.  Not yet, anyway.  Toilet shot of peace.

Those pictures are meaningless without being able to compare them to what 10 lbs less looks like.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »

Do you lift?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »
Do you lift?

Haha if you can call it that.  Seven years ago i was benching 265 for 8, now i can get about 95 for 8.  Two years ago I put up a 4 plate squat, now I eek out 115 for brutal sets of 6-8... I call it 'periodization'

;D

For real though, I don't think anyone could put more muscle on my body than I have.  That's part of my curse: 'everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but cephissus wasn't born with no muscle fiber'

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
i like to collect bars, granola, etc. but i never eat them.  bad habit...  hope this is my last "cleaning out the house" binge.  on the plus side, i have little desire to binge anymore.  no more "planned binges", i think.  i went to a restaurant last night, held back, didn't worry too much about calories, and had a great time.

it always feels better when its unplanned and im able to rid myself of a stockpile.  feel much cleaner afterward.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
Do you lift?
Why the brutal discrepancy in lifting poundages?

Honestly, I think you should go in a caloric surplus for a good 5 months.  Cleanse your mind and stop being fixated with being emaciated.

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Why the brutal discrepancy in lifting poundages?

Honestly, I think you should go in a caloric surplus for a good 5 months.  Cleanse your mind and stop being fixated with being emaciated.

at least 5 months of caloric surplus, and cut all the cardio or do just a minimum (10-15 minutes on treadmill)