Author Topic: Christians and traditional marriage supporters labeled as bigots.. lol  (Read 7358 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
I don't get it.

Why do gays want to marry? Marriage is a christian tradition, how is it anyone's right to get married? The religious leaders should decide that.

Was unaware Mormons didn't participate in marriage.  How about Scientologists? 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Not when you follow it up with "Christian," they aren't. Unless God revealed the Word to you Himself, you learned it from the Bible, which is the cornerstone of Christianity - A RELIGION. And even if He did, once you choose to follow His guidelines, you're practicing Christianity - A RELIGION, whether you like it or not.

People say this shit all time, and it's absolutely meaningless. Semantical bullshit is all.

Yes Christianity is a religion, but the word religion today is a catch-all for all sorts religions, denominations, individuals, schools of thought, behaviors, events, theologies, courses, etc.........in some circles "religion" is almost a curse word today.  

"Religion" is Westboro Baptist church, the crusades, the witch trials, the molestation of children by Catholic priests, Adolph Hitler, ISIS, scientology, Wicca, Satanism, Santaria, greek mythology, anti-tolerance, anti-knowledge, anti-homosexual, anti-science, anti-reality, flying spaghetti monsters, magic, Harry Potter, sky daddies, fairies and unicorns and all other sorts of evil and negative connotations people can think of.  The term "religion" has completely changed into something else.....it's a catch-all of negativity.

I often say I represent Jesus Christ and I'm a Christian, but I don't like all organized religion.  Although in classic terminology Christianity is a religion,  but I accept none of the modern baggage that comes with "religion".  Notice today when I post and use the word "religion" I often put it in quotes as it implies way more than the belief in and worship of God.  

Today's "religion" has forced upon it a ton of negativity and the evil of men.  Look at Getbig for example.  Most boards are either entitled "MMA", "Sports Discussions", "Conspiracy Theories", "General Topics" and "Gossip and Opinions", but the religion board is different.  It's entitled "Religious Debates & Threads".  The title itself immediately implies disunity with the word debate as that suggests you're walking into a negative argument.  The closest parallel is the "Politics and Political Issues" board, but even here it's different and the implication is far less subdued.  That's the power of the "religion".  Add it to almost any thread title and your thread views will most definitely increase.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
Not when you follow it up with "Christian," they aren't. Unless God revealed the Word to you Himself, you learned it from the Bible, which is the cornerstone of Christianity - A RELIGION. And even if He did, once you choose to follow His guidelines, you're practicing Christianity - A RELIGION, whether you like it or not.

People say this shit all time, and it's absolutely meaningless. Semantical bullshit is all.

Ahhh, come ON! I don't understand half of what the bible says. But it's not about the literal context of the book, there are principles, guide lines... you know..? Most of the guidelines I break almost everyday but I admit it and I don't use prayers as a forgiveness atm every time I do something. I don't practise christianity at all, I don't pray, I don't go to church, i don't even belong in the church because the church is corrupt and i don't trust these people in there, they may not even have true faith, they just have their theologist/priest degrees. But I believe in jesus christ I can't help it. I never preach about it, I never have the need to talk about it unless someone asks do i believe.

I don't believe in forcing people to do something, not religious dictators or atheist dictators, nothing. I'm the guy who opens doors to people of all kind and say thank you, have a nice day, if i train outside and a girl jogs pass me I tell her that damn you look good! I don't consider a homeless street bum any differend from me, or a drug addict... pretty much anyone who does things for selfish reasons because I'm selfish my self. I love eating pussy and I can't stand children and i support free abortions. I oppose war as a job maker.

Still, the faith is in my bone marrow. i asked my grandmother who's a true christian that am I a christian even tho I don't follow the book to the point, but I do believe in jesus and that only through jesus my soul can be saved? She said of course I'm a christian. But i don't consider myself a christian.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Yes Christianity is a religion, but the word religion today is a catch-all for all sorts religions, denominations, individuals, schools of thought, behaviors, events, theologies, courses, etc.........in some circles "religion" is almost a curse word today.  

"Religion" is Westboro Baptist church, the crusades, the witch trials, the molestation of children by Catholic priests, Adolph Hitler, ISIS, scientology, Wicca, Satanism, Santaria, greek mythology, anti-tolerance, anti-knowledge, anti-homosexual, anti-science, anti-reality, flying spaghetti monsters, sky daddies and all others sorts of evil and negative connotations people can think of.  The term religion has completely changed into something else.....it's a catch-all.

I often say I represent Jesus Christ and I'm a Christian, but I don't like all organized religion.  Although in classic terminology Christianity is a religion,  but I accept none of the modern baggage that comes with "religion".  Notice today when I post and use the word "religion" I often put it in quotes as it implies way more than the belief in and worship of God.

But everybody says this now.

Seems to me, if you're following someone else's program, and others are involved, technically you got yourself some religion.

Even if you just make up your own shit, once it has any system to it, and/or adherents, meets the term's criteria once again. Believers just don't like the word anymore, but that's just denial.

Like progressives not wanting to be called liberals, because the word got stigmatized - pussies or whatever. Sorry, still same thing.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Ahhh, come ON! I don't understand half of what the bible says. But it's not about the literal context of the book, there are principles, guide lines... you know..? Most of the guidelines I break almost everyday but I admit it and I don't use prayers as a forgiveness atm every time I do something. I don't practise christianity at all, I don't pray, I don't go to church, i don't even belong in the church because the church is corrupt and i don't trust these people in there, they may not even have true faith, they just have their theologist/priest degrees. But I believe in jesus christ I can't help it. I never preach about it, I never have the need to talk about it unless someone asks do i believe.

I don't believe in forcing people to do something, not religious dictators or atheist dictators, nothing. I'm the guy who opens doors to people of all kind and say thank you, have a nice day, if i train outside and a girl jogs pass me I tell her that damn you look good! I don't consider a homeless street bum any differend from me, or a drug addict... pretty much anyone who does things for selfish reasons because I'm selfish my self. I love eating pussy and I can't stand children and i support free abortions. I oppose war as a job maker.

Still, the faith is in my bone marrow. i asked my grandmother who's a true christian that am I a christian even tho I don't follow the book to the point, but I do believe in jesus and that only through jesus my soul can be saved? She said of course I'm a christian. But i don't consider myself a christian.

This is just lots of text telling us you don't like a word. I get it, but ultimately it's just semantics.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

And here's an article about a girl forced into a lesbian kiss during an "anti bullying act" infront of her whole class and she didn't like it one bit, her parents are furious about it.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/parents-upset-after-middle-school-girls-forced-into-lesbian-kiss-at-ny-school-94523/

you have a weird open mind... maybe your mind is like a tunnel, you just don't care. But even that's cool. I start to understand how you think you just don't care for real. The news is apparently deleted from youtube, how ironic.

The atheist monument is not to replace the 10 commandments it was designed to co-exist with them. The origin of the idea was that Oklahoma lawmakers refused to remove the 10 commandments from public property (The Ok Supreme Court has since ruled it has to be removed). So they were going to protest this violation of separation of church and state by placing their own "religious" monument there as well. My opinion is it has just as much right there. You threw me off when you said it would replace the 10 commandments   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

Then what are you whining about? You were brainwashed into being a Christian when you were young and you have a problem with a society that doesn't have the same low standards. There's nothing wrong with the government moving away from arbitrary Christian principles.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
http://www.datesafeproject.org/misrepresentation-forced-lesbian-kiss-news-story-red-hook/

The Misrepresentation of the “Forced Lesbian Kiss” News Story from Red Hook, NY

Red Hook SchoolsHere at the DATE SAFE Project, teaching "Asking First" and respecting boundaries is one of our main missions. While the Peer Educators who recently taught an "Asking First" scene to middle school students in Red Hook, NY were not affiliated with nor licensed by The DATE SAFE Project, we want to fully discuss what has happened with this news story.

Recently, several media outlets published a story referring to a "Forced Lesbian Kiss" in a middle school classroom in Red Hook, NY. The news coverage implied students in the classroom were forced to ask each other for a "lesbian kiss" (that is the wording cited in the news stories). The classroom discussion was lead by Peer Educators from nearby Bard College.

Soon, we heard that our organization was being referenced as a source of the material the school relied on for this classroom session. People were asking us, "Are you aware someone is inappropriately referencing the 'Asking First' scene from The DATE SAFE Project's Curriculum in the classroom?" We began doing research by directly talking with both educational institutions involved: Bard College and Dr. Katie Zahedi, the Principal at the middle school in Red Hook, NY.

We began by asking the following questions:
1.What lessons were being taught in the classroom?
2.Is the school stating that the Peer Educators were licensed by The DATE SAFE Project or that our specific curriculum was being used? Yes, we were checking to see how we were being referenced.

Dr. Zahedi made it clear from the start of our conversation that the news reports were very different from what actually occurred in the classroom. Both her and the school district's Superintendent, Paul Finch, replied to the original reporter who published the story referring to a "lesbian kiss" being taught. Almost all of the information Dr. Zahedi and the Superintendent Finch provided the reporter was left OUT of the story the reporter published. To be transparent, the website for Red Hook School System has posted the letter Superintendent Finch sent the reporter. The letter clearly states:

"These sessions were designed by the building leadership in an effort to have eighth graders treat each other with respect and to develop in our young adolescents an appreciation for personal dignity. To suggest that we would condone or promote sexual activity among teenagers is absurd. It is equally absurd to suggest that an activity, designed to have young women feel more confident saying no to unwanted advances from boys, is in some way promoting a lesbian lifestyle. It is my understanding that the role playing activity is part of a program supported by conservatives such as Laura Bush."

The Poughkeepsie Journal reports superintendent of Red Hook Central School District Paul Finch saying workshops like these are required under New York’s Dignity for All Students Act, which states that instruction in “civility, citizenship and character” would include “concepts of tolerance, respect for others and dignity.” Topics for this would include race, nationality, religion, weight, sexual orientation and gender identity, among others. (**This paragraph is from an article posted here).

In addition, on the Red Hook School System's website, the school system shared the discussion in the classroom was focused on:

Cultural stereotypes related to gender and gender identity, positive strategies for conflict resolution, and issues related to personal consent in relationships. All of these topics support our efforts to create a school environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, and bullying.

None of this information was included in the initial story posted online referring to students and a "lesbian kiss."

In my conversation with Dr. Zahedi, she shared that language used in the news reporting was erroneous. The Peer Educators from Bard College did NOT reference a "Lesbian Kiss." The Peer Educators did NOT teach the boys "How to Spot a Slut" as stated in online news outlets.

What actually happened? When the males and females were separated, the peer educators talked to the female students about always having the right to say, "No" to intimacy. You deserve to always have a choice and be asked first (hopefully a point every parent agrees with). At that point, the peer educators did a quick role-play with the classroom addressing "Asking for a Kiss." Never did the educators refer to that moment as a "lesbian kiss." The phrase "Lesbian Kiss" was language used by either the reporter and/or the family who reported this as a story to Fox News - NOT as part of the classroom discussion.

In the session with the boys, the conversation included how harmful such words as "slut" can be and the importance of not "slut shaming." If you work in the field of reducing sexual violence, you know how frequently people in our society use "Slut Shaming" to inappropriately blame survivors of sexual assault.

"Asking First" and The DATE SAFE Project
 You may be wondering, "Mike, the role-playing scene does sound somewhat based on what you teach in the 'Can I Kiss You?' School Assemblies?" Bard College shared with us that the two Peer Educators who lead the classroom session did previously attend a "Can I Kiss You?" live presentation facilitated by me at SUNY-New Paltz.  In each "Can I Kiss You?" Show, I teach the importance of "Asking First" before anyone ever touches another person sexually or intimately. The representative from Bard College shared that the students did want to share some of the same messages with the local students.

We, the DATE SAFE Project, are HONORED to know the two Bard College students were inspired by our "Can I Kiss You?" Show and wanted to spread those same lessons with middle school students in their local community. You have two caring college students working hard to help our youth have a greater respect for themselves, their peers, and each other boundaries. Awesome!  The students never said they were affiliated with us and thus did not misrepresent themselves at any time.

Dr. Zahedi has apologized to us for a reference she made in an online article about the students attending a training conducted by The DATE SAFE Project. She is aware the "Can I Kiss You?" Show at SUNY-New Paltz that the Bard students attended is not the formal training we provide for individuals to present the "Can I Kiss You?" program in their local schools.

Does the DATE SAFE Project provide formal training opportunities for people to become licensed to present the program in their local middle schools and high schools? Yes. The training includes many nuances which can dramatically impact how people react to specific situations in a role-play. Bard College did inquiry into how a student can become a Licensed Presenter of the K12 "Can I Kiss You?" Program for future work in local schools (requires attending 2-Day Training).

As to the Superintendent Finch's comment about the role-play scene from the classroom based on a program supported by conservatives, we do believe he was referring to the "Can I Kiss You?" version of the "Asking First" role-play scene (based on conversations we had Dr. Zahedi). The "Can I Kiss You?" program is brought into schools of all political and religious belief systems - ranging from more liberal communities to very strict faith-based institutions. For instance, we teach the respect of boundaries to middle school students in the Milwaukee, WI Catholic Archdiocese. We believe Superintendent Finch's reference specific to Laura Bush is referring to a letter we received from Laura Bush many years ago thanking me for our work.

I want to personally thank Bard College and Dr. Zahedi for taking the time to talk with me earlier today. Dr. Zahedi stated she would like to find a way to bring me to her school in the future to present the "Can I Kiss You?" program to their students. Every day we get the opportunity to share "How-To" skills for treating each other with respect we are thrilled to so!!

THE GOOD THAT HAPPENED

Are mistakes going to happen the first time an educational program is presented? Yes. The key is the educators and administrators work together to make the program as effective and appropriate as possible for the future. Dr. Zahedi has assured us everyone is committed to that same goal.

Caring educators, administrators, and local college peer educators in Red Hook, NY worked together to bring their students a program to help teach respect of their peers, themselves, and their boundaries. Every middle school student deserves to be TAUGHT that he/she always has the RIGHT to be given a choice BEFORE anyone touches him/her sexually. This is a LEGAL RIGHT and thus it is a school's responsibility to teach such legal rights (just as they teach the legal age of driving, drinking, etc...).

Parents, please ask yourself, "Is my school teaching my middle school and high school students that they ALWAYS should be given a choice before anyone touches them sexually or intimately? Are they teaching my child that he/she should be asked first before anything happens?" Common sense tells you that if more students were "Asking First," a lot less sexual activity would be occurring because most students are not ready to talk openly, honestly, and fully respect each other's boundaries

devilsmile

• Getbig V
The atheist monument is not to replace the 10 commandments it was designed to co-exist with them. The origin of the idea was that Oklahoma lawmakers refused to remove the 10 commandments from public property (The Ok Supreme Court has since ruled it has to be removed). So they were going to protest this violation of separation of church and state by placing their own "religious" monument there as well. My opinion is it has just as much right there. You threw me off when you said it would replace the 10 commandments  

Right, forgot that, but still. Well, if a person thinks that a statue of satan, the prince of lies and destruction is all good we have nothing to talk about here :D

You don't care, you don't mind, so I'm not going to question that anymore.

Then what are you whining about? You were brainwashed into being a Christian when you were young and you have a problem with a society that doesn't have the same low standards. There's nothing wrong with the government moving away from arbitrary Christian principles.

i was raised christian, was few years completely anti christian... then I found my self back believing again. Hardly brainwashed since I acknowledge all angels of the world, but to ban personal beliefs by law is unnecessary to me. You may think it's good that the world will be made anti religion, or more like anti god. But I respect your opinion.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

And here's an article about a girl forced into a lesbian kiss during an "anti bullying act" infront of her whole class and she didn't like it one bit, her parents are furious about it.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/parents-upset-after-middle-school-girls-forced-into-lesbian-kiss-at-ny-school-94523/

you have a weird open mind... maybe your mind is like a tunnel, you just don't care. But even that's cool. I start to understand how you think you just don't care for real. The news is apparently deleted from youtube, how ironic.

I take the time to research the information.. probably explains why we don't agree much..  :)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Right, forgot that, but still. Well, if a person thinks that a statue of satan, the prince of lies and destruction is all good we have nothing to talk about here :D

You don't care, you don't mind, so I'm not going to question that anymore.

i was raised christian, was few years completely anti christian... then I found my self back believing again. Hardly brainwashed since I acknowledge all angels of the world, but to ban personal beliefs by law is unnecessary to me. You may think it's good that the world will be made anti religion, or more like anti god. But I respect your opinion.

The point is.. whether you agree or not, Government can't favor one religion over another. They do all the time, but they aren't supposed to. So people call them on it on a regular basis. This is one of the ways they do it. See, some people are too hard headed to understand written rulings and words, but a statue of a demon gets their attention. So when they are forced to allow ANYONES religious artifacts on public property not just THEIR own.. they tend to get the point.  As you know, Christians are all about freedom of religion, as long as you're talking about Christianity

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

Every example you've posted in this thread has been wrong and misleading. Even if you truly believed them,  the quickest google search could have cleared up any confusion you had.

You're just too caught up in whining to get perspective on how things actually are.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Every example you've posted in this thread has been wrong and misleading. Even if you truly believed them,  the quickest google search could have cleared up any confusion you had.

You're just too caught up in whining to get perspective on how things actually are.

well said

devilsmile

• Getbig V
I take the time to research the information.. probably explains why we don't agree much..  :)

relax champ, I still think you're completely lost with your concept of what's acceptable and what's completely off limits but this shit is already boring to me. We can agree to disagree :D

hmmm, now that I think about it. Pedophilia and bestility should be legal, I'm just too crazy to think it's nasty and wrong, I'm brainwashed. Anything is ok, and everything is acceptable. lulz

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

hmmm, now that I think about it. Pedophilia and bestility should be legal, I'm just too crazy to think it's nasty and wrong, I'm brainwashed. Anything is ok, and everything is acceptable. lulz
You're entitled to your opinions, but you started a publicly viewable thread about them and these are all made-up arguments that you are having with yourself. 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
This is what baffles me some about America: Thomas Paine.

One could argue, his ideas in Common Sense were single-handedly responsible for igniting the Revolutionary War. That's how much his words meant.

About twenty years later he wrote The Age of Reason, which completely undermined the Bible and Christianity. He made the case for deism, which was arguably the atheism of its time; just hadn't yet discovered the science to help explain our origins.

So why didn't that book have an equal impact on American minds? Did he wait too long? Was independence a more desirable, easier to sell concept than reason/rationalism?

Why, instead of Christians, weren't we mostly deists/rationalists (ultimately atheists) early on is what I'm asking?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
This is what baffles me some about America: Thomas Paine.

One could argue, his ideas in Common Sense were single-handedly responsible for igniting the Revolutionary War. That's how much his words meant.

About twenty years later he writes The Age of Reason, which completely undermined the Bible and Christianity. He made the case for deism, which is arguably similar to a modern atheist. Just hadn't yet discovered the science to help explain our origins.

So why didn't that book have an equal impact on American minds? Did he wait too long? Was independence a more desirable, easier to sell concept than reason/rationalism?

Why, instead of Christians, weren't we mostly deists/rationalists (ultimately atheists) early on is what I'm asking?

Probably too deep for me to answer but that never stopped me before..

Christianity is a bear to overcome not unlike Islam to the Muslims. When you have families training their children from the time they can talk that the bible is the word of god, force them to go to Sunday school and later church to be indoctrinated.. when all their family and friends support the belief system and dissention is not allowed even to the point reading books contradicting the bible is all but forbidden, it takes generations upon generations to eradicate the belief. We see a decline in Christianity over the last 40 years and will continue to see a decline as new generations are introduced to critical thinking and can start on a level playing field without having to overcome years of brainwashing. 

devilsmile

• Getbig V
You're entitled to your opinions, but you started a publicly viewable thread about them and these are all made-up arguments that you are having with yourself.   

yeah I wanted to hear getbiggers opinions on "christians and traditional marriage supporters labeled as bigots" news but agnostic turned it into something else. People agreed with me more in the child abuse thread a.k.a iud's for 11 year old girls without their parents consent thread, but i knew that when religion is mentioned, most people dislike since most people don't care at all about religion or god topics.

devilsmile

• Getbig V

Christianity is a bear to overcome not unlike Islam to the Muslims. When you have families training their children from the time they can talk that the bible is the word of god, force them to go to Sunday school and later church to be indoctrinated.. when all their family and friends support the belief system and dissention is not allowed even to the point reading books contradicting the bible is all but forbidden, it takes generations upon generations to eradicate the belief. We see a decline in Christianity over the last 40 years and will continue to see a decline as new generations are introduced to critical thinking and can start on a level playing field without having to overcome years of brainwashing.  

so brainwashing children to be lesbos, homos, transsexuals whatever else is better? How about letting children choose what cultural/traditional practises they want to take part in without deceiving or missleading them in any way, huh? How about teaching children biology, math, chemistry, languages, philosophy etc etc. Christian religion and other religions and practises should be optional, not banned, and teachers shouldn't force kids to do NOTHING without their parents consent. Parents > teachers

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
What people of lesser intelligence and limited understanding do not grasp... is that enabling two men, or a man and a horse... or what have you... to redefine what 'marriage' means.... is a literal death blow to the very foundation of civilization.

The foundation of civilization?!  Wow, 'cuz I didn't know that until now.

You don't have to be delicate with me.  It's true that I'm a simple minded guy.  I just let people who aren't hurting anyone do what they want.  Am I be making hurt like this?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
I don't get it.

Why do gays want to marry? Marriage is a christian tradition, how is it anyone's right to get married? The religious leaders should decide that.

I find it odd that Gays and atheists want to get married.

The Ugly

• Getbig V

I understand that. My confusion is over why we didn't reject it initially, considering Paine's and Jefferson's influence on early America, the intellectuals in particular.

I'm sure the question is naive, and I'm exposing my ignorance in the process; just thought one of our resident historians might clarify.

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
I was wondering what does the regular agnostic/atheist/none believer think about these things because imo no human being can think this is a good thing.

The average person in the above demographic is what the bible refers to as "fools".

I think that gives you your answer.

Ψ

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
Education and open mindedness has always been the enemy of religion. No difference here. I thought slavery was wrong in spite of many people thinking it was right. I think gay marriage is fine though many people oppose it. Christians are mad because they've had it their way for so long they forgot there are other people who don't share their personal beliefs. So now they cry about persecution and having to whisper in the halls... guess what.. when I was growing up if you said you were atheist it was a sure fire way to an ass whooping by all the Christian red necks in town. A non believer couldn't own a successful business. Couldn't run for public office.. so lets keep the whining down shall we? 

You are full of shit.  And probably not that bright (being a cop).

The history of Christian persecution is horrific (if you went to the trouble to read a book once in a while you might know that).

Ψ

The Ugly

• Getbig V
so brainwashing children to be lesbos, homos, transsexuals whatever else is better? How about letting children choose what cultural/traditional practises they want to take part in without deceiving or missleading them in any way, huh? How about teaching children biology, math, chemistry, languages, philosophy etc etc. Christian religion and other religions and practises should be optional, not banned, and teachers shouldn't force kids to do NOTHING without their parents consent. Parents > teachers

You're totally putting words in his mouth.

Where is Christianity banned? Allow me to read your mind now: You want God in the classroom, huh? Is that what this about? Intelligent Design taught in science, right?