Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 408275 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1850 on: December 02, 2016, 07:32:25 PM »
I have always tipped barbers since when I was a kid to now. It was an EXTRA tip like I wrote.  

Not that I'm in a position to tip a barber, but what do you think is a good tip (including extras)? When eating out, I tip 20% rounded up unless the service was a total failure. Other areas, like barbers and cabbies, I am never sure what is an appropriate tip.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1851 on: December 04, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
If someone says they are as good as they were athletically when they are in their 40 and 50's never really reached reached their potential when they were younger. Think about it. Are there any 45 plus guys in the NFL?  Any 50 year old contenders in the UFC?  Any 50 year old sprinters, milers or marathon runners in the top 20 in the world?  

No, I can't do what I could in my youth. Yes, I do think I damaged my body from a life of athletics. It's just wear and tear.  
We're talking about lifting weights here. For example, you're complaining that your shoulder cringes at flat bench, did you have a specific event that caused an injury or did it build up over time and finally at age ** you had enough?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1852 on: December 04, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
Not that I'm in a position to tip a barber, but what do you think is a good tip (including extras)? When eating out, I tip 20% rounded up unless the service was a total failure. Other areas, like barbers and cabbies, I am never sure what is an appropriate tip.

I tip 20% at restaurants.  I don't get the tipping culture. If you get bad service and don't tip I can only imagine the insults that would get thrown your way.  Knowing people in the industry regarding restaurants and big bars it's not uncommon that the bar tenders and waiters are forced to pool their tips at the end of the day. The manager takes it all to his office and divides up the money taking a huge chunk for himself.  

Regarding a barber I give a $5 dollar tip.  I know many go to beauty parlors that charge a lot but I just go to a barber. I get my hair cut every third week.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1853 on: December 04, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
We're talking about lifting weights here. For example, you're complaining that your shoulder cringes at flat bench, did you have a specific event that caused an injury or did it build up over time and finally at age ** you had enough?

My shoulder seemed bullet proof till I reached about 54.  Then it seemed it was shot.  I think it might be part of a bicep rupture that I had repaired contributing to the the problem.  I did full range press behind the neck for around 40 years without any problem what so ever.  Now I would be in pain for a long time using a light weight. I have arthritis, slap tear, cartilage problem and I believe the bicep repair 10 years ago is now contributing to my tendinitis at the superior origin of the bicep tendon.

Regarding aging and it's a real thing. No one gets out alive. I remember when I was young running a 6 minute mile was an easy joke and I thought I would be able to that till I was 70.  Guess what? I can't do it now.  Maybe with specialized training 6 days a week for months I might have a shot.   As a 20 year old I could run that without running for months.  I use to be one of the young guys in a gym or the track saying age is no excuse.  I wish I could go back in time and take my words back. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1854 on: December 04, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
I have to go to Oklahoma of all places next week. I am already having anxiety about not working out for the week.  In reality it will be good for me to take a break.  Tuesday I will have a last workout, then on Wednesday fly out coming back Sunday.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1855 on: December 04, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
I tip 20% at restaurants.  I don't get the tipping culture. If you get bad service and don't tip I can only imagine the insults that would get thrown your way.  Knowing people in the industry regarding restaurants and big bars it's not uncommon for the bar tenders and waiters are forced to pool their tips at the end of the day. The manager takes it all to his office and divides up the money taking a huge chunk for himself.  

Regarding a barber I give a $5 dollar tip.  I know many go to beauty parlors that charge a lot but I just go to a barber. I get my hair cut every third week.

Are you aware that tip pooling is addressed by the U.S. Department of Labor? https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf Here is another good read on the subject of tip pooling: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tip-pooling-credits-service-employees-29804.html

Tips are treated as income by the IRS. As such there are tax laws pertaining to tips. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/reporting-tip-income-restaurant-tax-tips

Without doubt, there are employers who don't comply with these rules.

In Germany, where I visited this fall, the norm is to round-up the bill as a tip. If there isn't much to round up, folks sometimes add a Euro or so as a tip. Service employees earn a decent wage, usually with benefits, such as sick leave, health care insurance and vacation. Americans who aren't aware of this sometimes leave tips like they would in the U.S. a rule of thumb is to tip between 5 and 10%.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1856 on: December 05, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »
My shoulder seemed bullet proof till I reached about 54.  Then it seemed it was shot.  I think it might be part of a bicep rupture that I had repaired contributing to the the problem.  I did full range press behind the neck for around 40 years without any problem what so ever.  Now I would be in pain for a long time using a light weight. I have arthritis, slap tear, cartilage problem and I believe the bicep repair 10 years ago is now contributing to my tendinitis at the superior origin of the bicep tendon.

Regarding aging and it's a real thing. No one gets out alive. I remember when I was young running a 6 minute mile was an easy joke and I thought I would be able to that till I was 70.  Guess what? I can't do it now.  Maybe with specialized training 6 days a week for months I might have a shot.   As a 20 year old I could run that without running for months.  I use to be one of the young guys in a gym or the track saying age is no excuse.  I wish I could go back in time and take my words back. 
Ok more like the kind of answer I was looking for. I feel like I'm doing pretty good, all the sports I played and I barely have a niggle in my left knee that acts up sometimes. As far as tendinitis goes, have you considered skipping pull ups/pulldowns for a week or two? I find heavy pulldowns really irritate the shit out of my tendinitis.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1857 on: December 05, 2016, 06:59:39 PM »
Ok more like the kind of answer I was looking for. I feel like I'm doing pretty good, all the sports I played and I barely have a niggle in my left knee that acts up sometimes. As far as tendinitis goes, have you considered skipping pull ups/pulldowns for a week or two? I find heavy pulldowns really irritate the shit out of my tendinitis.

Yes, pull ups and pulldowns do irritate it. I do notice I can do Hammer strength pulldowns without irritation at all.  Just a different path in the pulldown.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1858 on: December 06, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »
Did a whole body routine prior to flying from NJ to Oklahoma to see my son in the Army.

Power cleans and jerks 4 x 3 135lbs, 155lbs, 160lbs, 170lbs.

Squats 2 x 8 225lbs  then 1 x 2 275lbs.
leg extension 2 x 12
standing leg curls 2 x 12

Hammer strength pulldown 2 x 10 185lbs
One arm dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way up and down)

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 80lbs. ( tried to go maximum full range)

Dumbbell shoulder press 2 x 10 45lbs (giving my bad shoulder a break)
Delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs

Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
Dumbbell concentration curls 2 x 12 25lbs (done strictly and full range)

Standing calf raise 2 x 12

4 way neck machine 2 x 15

Ab coaster 2 x 35
Ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Weighted hyper extension 2 x 15 25lbs. (plate behind head)

Gym Observations:

Two different guys mentioned my trip to Oklahoma and told me to get a steak there.  Is Oklahoma known for steaks?  I know less than nothing about Oklahoma.

I always see this chubby 30 year old guy with a trainer. Today he had a new trainer.  The trainer said to him after pulldowns, "I'm proud of you."  The 30 year old guy said, " Really bro?  That's what you got for me?"  I burst out laughing.  Why is this young man paying guys to train him?  Just beyond bizarre.  

Made a mistake of talking to an old guy wearing a military Korean war veteran cap.  Thanked him and made some small talk.  All of a sudden it's chat central with another old vet joining in.  I love the military but I train fast and the chit chat ruins my mojo.  Made a quick exit and did another set of standing leg curls.  People love to talk in gyms.  

Told a regular I didn't say hello to him because I don't train with my glasses on so I didn't recognize him.  Maybe he thought I was vision impaired because he kept telling me where stuff was to trip over.  "The seated calf is right in front of you." You just can't make this stuff up. No one would believe you.

Worked with a guy yesterday who was telling me about his heart attack and heart operation.  Kind of freaked me out since I'm older than him when I worked out today. What are you gonna do? When it's your time it's your time.

On my trip I can't decide whether to work out in the hotel gym.  As everyone knows hotel gyms are garbage but sometimes you can get something of a workout in.  Maybe it will be cardio till I return on Sunday.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1859 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »
I guess this thread has run it's course. One last post unless someone revives it.

Back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max (hurts shoulder)
Seated cable rows with a V handle 2 x 12 180lbs
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 90lbs (All the way down and up. Failed on rep 9 of second set)
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10 (Might start my workouts with this instead of pull ups. For some reason these do not hurt my shoulder)

Dumbbell bench press 2 x 8-6 85lbs ( full range reps)
Hammer strength incline bench 2 x 8 225lbs
Flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10 110lbs
Push ups 1 x 23 reps

deadlifts off the floor 2 x 4 305lbs then 1 x 1 330lbs. ( Like to do them last when I'm completely fatigued and warmed up. I use less weight but I feel it's safer)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head.

Hanging straight leg raises 2 x 20
Seated ab crunch machine 2 x 20 80lbs

Gym Observations:

Listened to the gym owner training a brand new client with this advice. Don't train to failure or you will start to miss work outs because your workouts will become to hellish. Sounds exactly like the advice of Bill Pearl.  Wish I can do that but I red line my workouts every time.

Came back from a trip to Oklahoma Fort Sill where my diet was completely off eating in restaurants  and a ton of beer was consumed. Thought I would have easily gained a pound or two but the scale says I stayed the same. Shocked.

I have to change my workouts and shake up some things.  If no one comments I guess this is the end of the thread.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1860 on: December 12, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
I guess this thread has run it's course. One last post unless someone revives it.

Back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max (hurts shoulder)
Seated cable rows with a V handle 2 x 12 180lbs
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 90lbs (All the way down and up. Failed on rep 9 of second set)
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10 (Might start my workouts with this instead of pull ups. For some reason these do not hurt my shoulder)

Dumbbell bench press 2 x 8-6 85lbs ( full range reps)
Hammer strength incline bench 2 x 8 225lbs
Flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10 110lbs
Push ups 1 x 23 reps

deadlifts off the floor 2 x 4 305lbs then 1 x 1 330lbs. ( Like to do them last when I'm completely fatigued and warmed up. I use less weight but I feel it's safer)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head.

Hanging straight leg raises 2 x 20
Seated ab crunch machine 2 x 20 80lbs

Gym Observations:

Listened to the gym owner training a brand new client with this advice. Don't train to failure or you will start to miss work outs because your workouts will become to hellish. Sounds exactly like the advice of Bill Pearl.  Wish I can do that but I red line my workouts every time.

Came back from a trip to Oklahoma Fort Sill where my diet was completely off eating in restaurants  and a ton of beer was consumed. Thought I would have easily gained a pound or two but the scale says I stayed the same. Shocked.

I have to change my workouts and shake up some things.  If no one comments I guess this is the end of the thread.

Once upon a time, Ron had this vision of creating a website where people would discuss bodybuilding routines and diets.

I'd have more to post about if I would just get off my fat ass and hit the gym, like you do.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1861 on: December 12, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
when the 'mature 'thread was in full swing donny,me,prime,you,chaos,all contributed daily especially me i would post everything workouts like u full detail ,injuries,personal stuff,then dropping plates who is good poster in gossip board/in good shape too got into it with donny and that was it,they pulled the thread and restarted it here and i was fine with that too then donny got banned and that was it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1862 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »
When you think about it like this, Donny was the glue that held that great thread together. He was ousted and the thread died. A few folks on Getbig are very shortsighted and biased, particularly a certain cone headed mod.

While I do not respond to all your posts, I will miss them if you leave. Your gym observations are priceless. Your workouts are inspiring. Your honesty is amazing.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #1863 on: December 12, 2016, 10:52:18 PM »
I'd post in this thread some but I'm not nearly old enough!  :-[

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1864 on: December 13, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »
When you think about it like this, Donny was the glue that held that great thread together. He was ousted and the thread died. A few folks on Getbig are very shortsighted and biased, particularly a certain cone headed mod.

While I do not respond to all your posts, I will miss them if you leave. Your gym observations are priceless. Your workouts are inspiring. Your honesty is amazing.
no i'm good ,I will post in my usual areas,,its just here was really great group and like rich said it will be just the 3 of us....not that theres anything wrong with that ;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1865 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »
no i'm good ,I will post in my usual areas,,its just here was really great group and like rich said it will be just the 3 of us....not that theres anything wrong with that ;)

What's wrong with that is me. I haven't been hitting the gym for sometime now and therefore have very little to post.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1866 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
What's wrong with that is me. I haven't been hitting the gym for sometime now and therefore have very little to post.
well get going jay,,,train at home a little me and rich do at times...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1867 on: December 13, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
I'd post in this thread some but I'm not nearly old enough!  :-[

Go ahead and post. This is the thunderdome. There are no rules. LOL.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1868 on: December 13, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
Cardio day:

6 x 800 meters with a fast walk 400 meters at 3.8 MPH.  Started at 8:30 minute mile pace down to 6:57 pace for the last.  I like to keep increasing each 800 meters speed.  

I'm torn when I do intervals. 8 x 400 meters with a 200 meter fast walk in between is another variation. I get leaner with the 800 repeats.  400 repeats can be brutal due to the speed and possible injury factor.  I don't want to pull a hamstring on a treadmill.

Gym Observations:

The owner of this hard core gym has two brands of treadmills. One I don't know the brand or model. It looks like NASA central with all kinds of fancy looking buttons and gadgets. The one I use there is a True model.  Simple to use and has a fantastic running surface. Not bouncy and not a rock. Just firm like it should be.  Cut to the point.  The owner or someone has cut off all the safety clips.  I know for walking or slow running they can be a hassle when you inadvertently knock the magnet out.  I feel it's an absolute necessity when running at a serious speed. It could rip off your face if you fell.

A boy friend and girlfriend work out together. He's about 40 and she looks about late 20's.  Both are chubby and they do a bodybuilding split type workout.  Today the girl asks the owner what she should do to lose some weight. He said use the cardio equipment.  She said that is way too boring.  I guess that's the end of that.

Saw a built young bodybuilder who weighed about 220lbs deadlifting 500lbs.  I know it's not world beating but it's impressive for a bodybuilder or anyone.  I was hitting the heavy bag near him and he came over and fist bumped me telling me he was impressed.  Pumped my ego up then I realized it's a weight gym.  Ten miles down the road at the boxing gym no one would be giving me props. LOL.  

My third day without alcohol.  Drinking way too much lately.  I really want to get back to how I use to drink. It was about two days a week. This every other day is going to hurt my health and ruin my exercise efforts.

I went to my basement gym to put my heavy bag gloves back where I keep them and spotted my cambered bench press bar rusting slightly with cob webs on it. I haven't really used it in ages.  Made me think.  Would it be good or bad for my shoulder?  Now that I think of it I did use it for a brief single set I believe about a month ago. Any thoughts on using the Macdonald bar?  Maybe I can gain mobility in the bad shoulder using it or maybe I can really fucked it up more.  The wonders of the universe. LOL.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1869 on: December 13, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Thanks for the "push". I am training at home, mostly quads, hams and core exercises thrown in for good measure. Occasionally, I go for a little upper body work.

My diet is good despite eating out a lot because the kitchen is torn up. For the past several months my weight has fluctuated between 173 and 177.

Here are photos of the kitchen and I in progress. Tomorrow and Thursday the cabinet maker will be here finishing up. Counters go in on Friday. The other remodel (me) is going to take much longer.  ;D  It looks as if I need a chest lift....gravity seems to be doing it's thing.
:o,,,nice undies.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1870 on: December 13, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
:o,,,nice undies.

Yup. It's actually a swimsuit and at least it's not orange.  ;)  -Never one to be modest, so why start now? They highlight my hernia scar, which I don't particularly care for. Anyway, 72 and counting. I don't look too bad, although I certainly could look better. My navel looks like shit ever since I had the prostatectomy. Guess these are just "battle wounds" otherwise known as character. LOL!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1871 on: December 14, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »
A swim suit?  Where do you go swimming?   ;D

Leg day today:

Squats 2 x 8 230lbs 1 x 1 280 (I go deep but not rock bottom)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 90lbs (rock bottom, holding two 90lbs dumbbells)
Stiff deads 3 x 6 210lbs
leg extensions 2 x 12 190lbs (I know 190lbs is meaningless from machine to machine)
standing leg curls 2 x 12

standing calf raise 2 x 12
seated calf 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
ab crunch 2 x 20

4 way neck 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

I have none for today. I wasn't very observant today.

I don't know about you guys but don't chat in the gym. Maybe brief stuff once in awhile but I really get into a zone training. Also training to failure I'm breathing like a race horse trying to go fast. It seems like the majority of people are chatting away about anything and everything. Wonder if they think I'm a unfriendly person?

Anyone get dizzy and light headed after a hard set to failure? Happens to me after certain exercises. Dumbbell squats, stiff leg and regular deadlifts, dumbbell rows, and few others can do it for me. Surprisingly regular squats it doesn't happen.  Just wonder if I'm going to give myself a heart attack? Never felt this running. Only after to failure sets with some weight movements.

I don't know why I even do calf movements. I train them till they burn but they are practically non existent. I once had a guy say to me how do you stand on those tooth picks.  LOL.  I don't know they work.  I can jump, sprint somewhat for a guy near 60 and run distance. I just have legs like the fighter Tommy hitman Hearns.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1872 on: December 15, 2016, 07:53:27 PM »
Most of the time I do not chat while working out in the gym. The one exception is when Earl stops by. He's worked out his entire long life, he is 82 years old and recently was diagnosed with Parkinson's. He no longer drives, so his wife or son bring him to the gym and wait for him because they live some distance away. Earl's photo from when he was a bodybuilding contestant is on the wall of fame. In more recent times, he won several powerlifting contests. I have not noticed him working out lately. I assume it has something to do with having Parkinson's and possibly the fact that his longtime workout partner died a few years ago.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1873 on: December 16, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
Most of the time I do not chat while working out in the gym. The one exception is when Earl stops by. He's worked out his entire long life, he is 82 years old and recently was diagnosed with Parkinson's. He no longer drives, so his wife or son bring him to the gym and wait for him because they live some distance away. Earl's photo from when he was a bodybuilding contestant is on the wall of fame. In more recent times, he won several powerlifting contests. I have not noticed him working out lately. I assume it has something to do with having Parkinson's and possibly the fact that his longtime workout partner died a few years ago.

Just sad. Hope being in the gym gives him some comfort.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1874 on: December 16, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
Did 8 x 400 meters yesterday. Started slow and increased the speed. Fast walked for a 200 meters in between. Last couple of quarter miles were done in sub 7 minute mile pace.

Just came home from work and chilling on the computer. I have to get my ass to the gym.  It's delt and arm day.  Hate working out when it gets dark out. Just feels like it's the time to rest and not the time to work out.