Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 596725 times)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Re: Harley Breite appreciation thread
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »
Harley Breite

Use a Karate-Gi with White jacket and Black trousers.

Or even the Cobra Kai-outfit from the movie "Karate Kid".

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2015, 04:31:34 PM »
Dear Kwon_2,
  You seldom ever see chicks who look like that in martial arts, or at least in the places I've trained.
  I don't have any "badges" on my BJJ gi but I do have some patches (American Flag, Brazilian Flag, Royler Gracie, David Adiv and Sean Santella patches).
  I could wear the medals around my neck like Mr. T and yell obnoxious phrases in Portuguese.
  In the end, these political hacks who sit with so much power just never get what it means to go out and struggle to make a living.
Harley

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:30 PM »
Dear Kwon_2,
  You seldom ever see chicks who look like that in martial arts, or at least in the places I've trained.
  I don't have any "badges" on my BJJ gi but I do have some patches (American Flag, Brazilian Flag, Royler Gracie, David Adiv and Sean Santella patches).
  I could wear the medals around my neck like Mr. T and yell obnoxious phrases in Portuguese.
  In the end, these political hacks who sit with so much power just never get what it means to go out and struggle to make a living.
Harley

Badges, patches, yes it's what I meant. Go for that. The Mr T with medals idea is great. What's Portuguese for 'I pity the fool that just got choked out'?  ;D

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »
Eu tenho pena de bobo que ficou estangulado.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »
Eu tenho pena de bobo que ficou estangulado.

Háblanos un poquito de espańol Harley.  8)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Hola el numero uno,
  Usted puede hablar comigo
Harley

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
  Of course people cutting up other people for no damn good reason bothers me.  But I didn't cause that and from those people
who actually commit those crimes, you shouldn't expect more.

The government however, well, that's something else.
  Just today, a judge who was recently appointed to our higher court just 2 months ago started a war with me for no reason.
  There are times when I don't wear a shirt and tie to court.  
  Today, I wore black leather shoes, black denim jeans (extremely clean and nice bought at Neiman Markus), a yellow t-shirt (Land's End)
and a black corduroy sport coat (Ralph Lauren).  I only mention the brand names so as to show I wasn't disheveled or sloppy.
  Not one single judge has ever had a problem with that attire and it does fit within the Rules of Court although Judges do have discretion as to
what attorneys can wear.  
  This uptight judge questions my attire in open court.  I suggest a meeting in chambers.  In chambers he says I can't wear that to his court and I
tell him that no other judge has a problem and I am within the Rules.  He says otherwise and warns me not to do it again.
  I respond with, "Respectfully Your Honor, I have heard what you have said."  Our meeting ends.
  Of course, he then calls in another judge to discuss this matter while this news spreads throughout the courthouse and all the Assistant Prosecutors
are now laying odds as to whether or not I will wear a shirt and tie to my next appearance before him.
  What I can't understand is why a guy who has lived off the public trough his whole life, who has just got done checking in on his last big political favor
wants to start a war less than 2 months into his judgeship.  He was a Municipal Court Judge for quite a few years and I regularly appeared before him there
as well.  He had the same temperament there as he does here.
  While the letter of the law is a bit vague on this issue, one thing you should do before picking a fight with someone is ask yourself the following:
  1)  Am I in the right?
  2)  Is this guy going to back down or fight back?
  3)  Is this really worth fighting about?
  I may have mentioned before that I graduated High School weighing just 88 pounds and that the idea of anyone bullying me anymore was just not going to fly
with me.  
  I didn't ask for this fight but I sure as hell am not going to back down from a newly appointed criminal judge who has NEVER once even tried a criminal case before
a jury.  I am fed up with any system in which political affiliations trump merit.
  This fight is on!!!
  I hope to have the support of all GetBig.
Harley

Sorry about the shitty judge, but no clue how it relates. He disgraces the position, therefore ... what?

As to the bold: Of course you didn't cause it, but you're doing everything in your power to mitigate punishment, or even get these monsters off. I know you've reconciled this with your conscience, but any consideration at all for the victims, their loved ones, or the evil you release on society if court goes well?

Justice, morality, compassion, reason - all this forfeited to the competence of a prosecutor?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
  I wrote earlier, perhaps in the thread about the NJ Man Who Killed His Friend (boyfriend) With a 25 Pound Dumbbell how I
justify what I do.
  I am merely here to ensure that the government doesn't cheat in its prosecution of each and every individual.  In my opinion,
without that over their heads, prosecution turns into persecution.
  If anyone believes that the Prosecutors are less competent (Marcia Clark, Christopher Darden, etc) then simply pretend you are in the
private sector and hire those most qualified and pay them what they deserve.  If the government doesn't practice meritocracy, it's not
my fault if I win a case every now and then.
 I never "unleashed evil on society".  I think that is a bit harsh to throw at any defense counsel. 
 You don't honestly believe that EVERY single person charged with a crime on bail, in jail or in prison is guilty of that charged do you?
 I hope and pray that the day never comes when you or your loved ones are falsely charged with a crime.  I am not being facetious.  I am
being very serious.  It's a terribly terrifying predicament to go against the infinite resources of the government and its cowardly employees who
sometimes worry more about protecting their tenure and pensions that ensuring justice is me, even if justice means doing something "unpopular."
Harley

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Was probably the t-shirt that set him off, Harley.  The fact that it lacks a collar jumped into his vision and caused him to lose his sorry excuse for a mind.

I could see it if he handled it quietly, but instead he wants to make an entire production over it.  Shows he doesn't understand the bigger picture.  He is a weakling at heart.

Funny thing is, he insists that your attire is somehow disrespectful, yet him stopping the show over inconsequential things for a temper tantrum is perfectly OK. 

He will only get worse over time, too.  I don't know where a guy like that belongs, but it isn't where he's at.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »
Yes, Soul Crusher could have told you all about politics.  ::) :-\

;D No, I think he's probably a pretty cool guy.  But when he stopped posting, he didn't fuck around.  He stopped.

Going 100 to 0 like that must've had a strong impact on him.  I've often wondered about the circumstances surrounding it, and what he channeled that energy into afterward.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
To be fair, can't forget that everything is based on the idea that the cops' word is gold, which we all know is absolute total bullshit.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  Wow!!! Your insight is profound!!!  It's almost as if you knew this judge and or practiced law before.
  The most important factors in being a good judge are demeanor and fairness.
  Judges who worry about whether the shirt has a collar are in fact, missing the bigger picture.
  Just a couple of weeks ago, I was featured on the front page of our local Sunday newspaper in an article
about bow ties.  It's not as if I always dress without a shirt and tie.
  He also fails to realize that the system is not controlled him or his calendar.  Defense attorneys can cause havoc
upon a court's schedule and make things very difficult for the judge and staff if they want to.
Harley

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »
Dear Harley,

Why not show your respect for the court and put a suit on? You look pretty boss in that bow tie.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
DearHarley,

Why not show your respect for the court and put a suit on? You look pretty boss in that bow tie.

What he says and does is where the respect comes in.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:20 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
  I wrote earlier, perhaps in the thread about the NJ Man Who Killed His Friend (boyfriend) With a 25 Pound Dumbbell how I
justify what I do.
  I am merely here to ensure that the government doesn't cheat in its prosecution of each and every individual.  In my opinion,
without that over their heads, prosecution turns into persecution.
  If anyone believes that the Prosecutors are less competent (Marcia Clark, Christopher Darden, etc) then simply pretend you are in the
private sector and hire those most qualified and pay them what they deserve.  If the government doesn't practice meritocracy, it's not
my fault if I win a case every now and then.
 I never "unleashed evil on society".  I think that is a bit harsh to throw at any defense counsel.  
 You don't honestly believe that EVERY single person charged with a crime on bail, in jail or in prison is guilty of that charged do you?
 I hope and pray that the day never comes when you or your loved ones are falsely charged with a crime.  I am not being facetious.  I am
being very serious.  It's a terribly terrifying predicament to go against the infinite resources of the government and its cowardly employees who
sometimes worry more about protecting their tenure and pensions that ensuring justice is me, even if justice means doing something "unpopular."
Harley

Not at all, but you've mentioned a few here that you acknowledge (if not suspected) were guilty, and their crimes heinous. That's ALL I was talking about - in fact, my critique quoted a post addressing one such case.

I've been in trouble plenty, so I understand the need for a good attorney. Without one, you're just another of the DA's faceless files, who deserves the absolute max. But we're talking bullshit misdemeanors versus senseless murder. Just didn't think I should lose my house/career over a non-violent, victimless offense is all; never pretended to be innocent.

And "unpopular" is an interesting choice of words, must admit. Anyway, wasn't trying to be disrespectful, not deliberately. Just trying to understand the mindset, always baffled me. Always will, I guess.  

(For the record, it was "release," not unleash ... though "evil" was pretty dramatic. Even though it fit.)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »
Yes, Harley.  So many mentally-sick people end up as judges, it should scare the living shit out of any sane person.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
Not at all, but you've mentioned a few here that you acknowledge (if not suspected) were guilty, and their crimes heinous. That's ALL I was talking about - in fact, my critique quoted a post addressing one such case.

I've been in trouble plenty of times, so I understand the need for a good attorney. Without one, you're just another of the DA's faceless files, who deserves the absolute max. But we're talking bullshit misdemeanors versus senseless murder. Just didn't think I should lose my house/career over a non-violent, victimless offense is all; never pretended to be innocent.

Anyway, wasn't trying to be disrespectful, not deliberately. Just trying to understand the mindset, always baffled me. Always will, I guess.  

(For the record, it was "release," not unleash, though I do admit "evil" was pretty dramatic. Even though it fit.)

I definitely understand your point.  But there is a place for guys like Harley, and overall he is fighting the good fight.  No question about it.  But your point is very good, and you are in the right for raising it.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  Wow!!! Your insight is profound!!!  It's almost as if you knew this judge and or practiced law before.
  The most important factors in being a good judge are demeanor and fairness.
  Judges who worry about whether the shirt has a collar are in fact, missing the bigger picture.
  Just a couple of weeks ago, I was featured on the front page of our local Sunday newspaper in an article
about bow ties.  It's not as if I always dress without a shirt and tie.
  He also fails to realize that the system is not controlled him or his calendar.  Defense attorneys can cause havoc
upon a court's schedule and make things very difficult for the judge and staff if they want to.
Harley

The world revolving around HIM.  Everything is about HIM.  You will bow to HIM.

Fuck HIM.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
 ;D

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »

I've been in trouble plenty, so I understand the need for a good attorney. Without one, you're just another of the DA's faceless files, who deserves the absolute max. But we're talking bullshit misdemeanors versus senseless murder. Just didn't think I should lose my house/career over a non-violent, victimless offense is all; never pretended to be innocent.

And "unpopular" is an interesting choice of words, must admit. Anyway, wasn't trying to be disrespectful, not deliberately. Just trying to understand the mindset, always baffled me. Always will, I guess.  

(For the record, it was "release," not unleash ... though "evil" was pretty dramatic. Even though it fit.)

Dear The Ugly,
  I didn't take your comments to be disrespectful at all.  In fact, I thought they were well made.  I merely wanted to pose my point as a question which
you honestly answered.
  As to knowing or suspecting my own clients' guilt, that happens quite often but is irrelevant to me for the reasons I previously mentioned.  Many times the matter is about diminishing
a client's exposure (risk) and trying to negotiate the best "deal" possible.  Remembering that 95% of all criminal cases result in a plea bargain, trial experience is hard to come by.  However,
those attorneys with experience and actual skill at conducting a trial do in fact, obtain the best "deals" for a plethora of reasons.
  I most certainly agree that people shouldn't lose careers or homes due to petty crimes or "Victimless Crimes."  Why does the State keep prosecuting prostitutes and taking away the cars of those
who seek their services?  "Civil Forfeiture" in criminal cases is just another way the government takes a hold of your possessions.  Do you know how many "prostitutes" I have represented in 22 years?
  As far as "unpopular" decisions a judge must make, take for example, the judge who will hear my application to Renew My Permit To Carry A Firearm.  He has already implied he isn't going to
grant the renewal despite my having it for 6 years already without a single incident.  He is more worried about risking his tenure or making the papers if I have to defend myself with my own legal gun.
  The Judge cites the Assault charge brought against me.  That charge was made by a racist who called me a dirty Jew and lied about a fight he and I allegedly had in which I put him in the hospital.  My legal team eventually had the case dismissed.
  Judges are sometimes asked to make difficult and perhaps "unpopular" decisions but this is one of their most important functions and one in which we trust they will uphold.
  I wish I saw more of that.
Harley

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Dear HarleyBreite ,

I spent some time  in jail for a crime I didn't commit , do you think prosecutors should be responsible for destroying the lives of those wrongfully convicted,  and do you think they should pay for it.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
  I didn't take your comments to be disrespectful at all.  In fact, I thought they were well made.  I merely wanted to pose my point as a question which
you honestly answered.
  As to knowing or suspecting my own clients' guilt, that happens quite often but is irrelevant to me for the reasons I previously mentioned.  Many times the matter is about diminishing
a client's exposure (risk) and trying to negotiate the best "deal" possible.  Remembering that 95% of all criminal cases result in a plea bargain, trial experience is hard to come by.  However,
those attorneys with experience and actual skill at conducting a trial do in fact, obtain the best "deals" for a plethora of reasons.
  I most certainly agree that people shouldn't lose careers or homes due to petty crimes or "Victimless Crimes."  Why does the State keep prosecuting prostitutes and taking away the cars of those
who seek their services?  "Civil Forfeiture" in criminal cases is just another way the government takes a hold of your possessions.  Do you know how many "prostitutes" I have represented in 22 years?
  As far as "unpopular" decisions a judge must make, take for example, the judge who will hear my application to Renew My Permit To Carry A Firearm.  He has already implied he isn't going to
grant the renewal despite my having it for 6 years already without a single incident.  He is more worried about risking his tenure or making the papers if I have to defend myself with my own legal gun.
  The Judge cites the Assault charge brought against me.  That charge was made by a racist who called me a dirty Jew and lied about a fight he and I allegedly had in which I put him in the hospital.  My legal team eventually had the case dismissed.
  Judges are sometimes asked to make difficult and perhaps "unpopular" decisions but this is one of their most important functions and one in which we trust they will uphold.
  I wish I saw more of that.
Harley

Apologies, misread the context of "unpopular." Makes perfect sense.

As for your hookers (:)) - as with so many other 'no business being a crime' crimes - I'm 180 there, my friend, but that's a whole other thread. Pretty Liberatarian in that regard and would love to see the petty stuff legalized in a heartbeat. Regulated where necessary, of course, and all contingent on the participant taking full accountability for potential risks, troubles, and/or costs. Again, separate thread.

Thanks for responding, Harley, hope you stick around.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
Dear Che,
  I hold Prosecutors and Judges accountable for the prosecution and incarceration of the innocent but only
when it becomes patently clear that either or both of them abused their respective discretions and continued
with an unjust prosecution or sentence.
  A prosecutor's job is to seek justice, not necessarily a conviction.  He reads the file and reports initially generated by
the police and then has his own investigators to either corroborate it or dispel it as something less than the truth or something
not rising to the level of "beyond a reasonable doubt."  Believing someone committed a crime and believing that you can
prove the commission of that crime beyond a reasonable doubt are two different entities.
Harley

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2015, 11:58:22 PM »
Dear Pellius,
  I must say I am quite jealous of the incredible experience you must have had during your 3 years of private lessons with Rickson.  Very few
people in the world can say they were so fortunate to have had that opportunity.  Your BJJ must be incredible. 
  As I mentioned before,  I am a Royler Gracie student but also have the privilege of being his close friend and attorney.  I negotiated the contract
when he fought Eddie Bravo for Metamoris (Royler became the highest paid BJJ competitor in the history of BJJ for one match) in California.  I was
actually responsible for "Pantsgate."  Eddie Bravo turned out to be nothing but a great guy and a true gentleman.
  I have represented Royler and many other Gracies and Rickson was my least favorite in terms of personality.  However, his BJJ was like nothing
I ever saw.  In fact, I now understand why they call it "Invisible." 
Harley

When I first started at the Gracie Academy in Carson, CA I would take a private lesson with Royce one day and a private with Royler later in the week. You had to take at least 10 privates before you could join the group class in those days. It was only $20 dollars a class so it was worth it. Rorion wanted to be sure you had the basics down before joining the group class.

I never really got along with Royce. He was impatient, would get mad and had a chip on his shoulder. Some years later I would understand why.

It was the exact opposite with Royler. I came out of his classes so happy and enthusiastic. If everybody took their first BJJ lesson from Royler or Renzo they will love Jui-Jitsu forever.

Royler made training just so much fun as well as a learning experience. In those days, Jiu-Jitsu was new and we never saw anything like it. With Royler's charming, engaging, and playful personality; I never really thought of him as a fighter per se. He almost seemed like a boy playing when he rolled. Always joking around and making funny comments playfully wrestling as he'd submit and tap opponent after opponent.

After one of our privates he told me he would be fighting later that week. This was during the time of the "Gracie Challenge" in which they would award anybody that could defeat them $10,000 dollars. The challenger didn't have to pay anything if they lost. So we had guys coming in all the time to fight and win the prize.

I was not happy when Royler told me this. Royler was a fantastic grappler but the game changes considerably when there are strikes. And Royler was tiny. Maybe 135 lbs. But what bother me most was that I didn't want to see him fight. Like I said, I didn't think of him as a fighter as such. When he did Jiu-Jitsu it was fun and games. Just learning a new skill. It didn't seem like fighting.
Royler just didn't seem to have the disposition of a fighter.

Boy, was I wrong. He became a completely different person when it came to NHB fighting. He was like a Tasmanian Devil and just tore though his opponents with a ferocious intensity that I didn't see in the other Gracies.

I only got to train with him for around six months. I was heart broken when he told me after one of our privates that he was moving back to Brasil. He said his wife was just not happy and didn't want to live in the US. I would find out later that he just wanted to get out of Rorion's control. There was a big rift going on in the family and Rickson had just recently left to start his own dojo. Royler and Rickson are extremely close and when he left Royler saw the writing on the wall. He would forever be Rorion's
employee getting paid by Rorion as Rorion saw fit.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:31 AM »
Maybe he felt he had more money than he needed and the japanese offer wasn't that important for him at the time.

Maybe he also felt there was a 1-5 % chance that Saku would have won and didn't want to destroy his legacy.

I don't think anybody feels they have enough money. And it's not like MMA fighters made a ton of dough. They don't even today unless you are the top of the top.

And the career of an MMA fighter is short and you better cash in while you can. I heard that Rickson was offered one million dollars to fight Saku. A million dollars is always the magic number for someone in the middle class as it implies you are set for life. Rickson's school probably had maybe fifty students tops. BJJ just wasn't very popular or well known in the US and the though the Gracies were big in Brasil they were nobodies in the US. And Rickson charged $60/month for group classes and had an assistant instructor he also had to pay.  

And as far as not wanting to destroy his legacy. That would be the worse case scenario. That would mean he back down from a challenge. That he was afraid of losing. That was contrary to the Gracie tradition of anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Also, the Gracies always preached family honor and always avenged a Gracie defeat. When a 43 year old Helio lost to his 26 year old former student, Valdemar Santana, after a 3 hour and 43 minute fight (I can't even go that long without having to pee) his nephew, Carlson stepped up and defeated Santana twice.

As the family champion, it was incumbent upon him to defend the Gracie name as has always been their tradition. He ended up tarnishing his reputation by not fighting Saku. No one doubted Saku's willingness to fight Rickson. The fight never happened because of Rickson. No one takes Rickson seriously when it comes to MMA.