Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 585186 times)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #775 on: September 04, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »
I know that feel  Harley , when I was  a kid  I used to have this poster in my room , I dreamed of one day owning it ,I still have the bike  and I wouldn't change it for any other bike.

I remember when the Yamaha V-Max came out and they said it had 135 bhp and that you couldn't get insurance.  That terrified us young guys.
Only a real "tough guy" could ride that bike.  I loved it in purple and a beautiful candy wine color they offered.
That bike inspired stories and became legendary.  Then the Ninja took over and it hasn't looked any different in 35 years. 

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #776 on: September 04, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »
Dear GetBiggers,
  I have a serious question for you:
  What do you do when you want to put yourself in a calm and reflective mood after a troubling day?
  I'm serious.  How do you cope when things get a bit more chaotic than perhaps you can handle?  Everyone has
stress and we all need to develop ways to ameliorate its detrimental effects especially when it comes in a massive
tidal wave-like manner.
  Tonight, I went back to something I used to do when I was in high school and college.  I would sit in a room not too overly
lit with a drink of my choosing.  Back then it might have been a 7 & 7 or Gin and tonic.  Tonight it's actually coffee.
  I would then, from beginning to end, listen to, on vinyl, the first 4 Dire Straits albums, in order (Dire Straits, Communique, Making Movies and Love Over Gold).
I'm not sure how many of you were or are willing to listen to them in their entirety but they really are as close to Masters as are any other albums I've heard.  They
are intimate in the sense you feel you are the only listener.  They are simple in that Mark Knopfler's guitar and voice don't beat you down while at the same time his virtuosity leaves you in awe.
The songs are intricate yet easy to enjoy and emote a sincerity that makes you feel much closer to Knopfler than say you could ever be to Mick Jagger.
  Listening to them inspires me to achieve greatness.  As we discussed earlier, that is a theme about which I often think.  I wish more people would examine that theme.
Harley
  In my opinion, those albums are truly great just for what they did and can still do for me.  Great artists have that ability to innervate a nerve within you thereby releasing an emotion
or a tension that had been itching to surface but need the proper stimuli. 

1500mg gabapentin and smoke a bowl..

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #777 on: September 04, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
What about shooting a few rounds at the range?  I'm not much a "range" guy.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #778 on: September 04, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »
I remember when the Yamaha V-Max came out and they said it had 135 bhp and that you couldn't get insurance.  That terrified us young guys.
Only a real "tough guy" could ride that bike.  I loved it in purple and a beautiful candy wine color they offered.
That bike inspired stories and became legendary.  Then the Ninja took over and it hasn't looked any different in 35 years. 
I love the V-max too , have you seen the new V-max ?

174hp

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #779 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »
Ok, smartypants: favorite bottle of red, 1-2 Norco 10/325, Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue,' headphones required.

Enjoy.

Listening right now. Through my uncomfortable Grado 225s but that discomfort is a small price to pay for the magic of Miles.

After this I may queue  up "Chet Baker Sings".  I am a fan of his vocalizations as well as his playing.  West Coast Cool, one might call it.

Miles is The Man.  Chet is a variation of the theme of real Jazz.  Coltrane and Hartman too.  I am a devotee of the art of Americas gift to the world.  Real Jazz.  Nancy Wilson gives me chills.  I am rambling...

Thanks, brother.  

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #780 on: September 04, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
What about shooting a few rounds at the range?  I'm not much a "range" guy.
Yours or the ranges?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #781 on: September 04, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
Listening right now. Through my uncomfortable Grado 225s but that discomfort is a small price to pay for the magic of Miles.

After this I may queue  up "Chet Baker Sings".  I am a fan of his vocalizations as well as his playing.  West Coast Cool, one might call it.

Miles is The Man.  Chet is a variation of the theme of real Jazz.  Coltrane and Hartman too.  I am a devotee of the art of Americas gift to the world.  Real Jazz.  Nancy Wilson gives me chills.  I am rambling...

Thanks, brother.  

Dear The Scott,
  I never "got" jazz music but it could be in part because I can't very well play an instrument and I also am a "melody" guy and jazz appears to care less about repeated melody.
  Does Teri Thornton's "Ill Be Seeing You" count?  If so, that is my style of "jazz" music.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #782 on: September 04, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »
Yours or the ranges?

Those are some of mine.  I take them to certain places outside the house on a rare occasion.  Those are mostly for some help here
inside the home.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #783 on: September 04, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Dear The Scott,
  I never "got" jazz music but it could be in part because I can't very well play an instrument and I also am a "melody" guy and jazz appears to care less about repeated melody.
  Does Teri Thornton's "Ill Be Seeing You" count?  If so, that is my style of "jazz" music.
Harley

When they go off on a tangent (essentially playing scales) I too, can be underwhelmed if that foray into phalangeal flourish continues for more than a minute before returning to the melody.  Miss Thornton sings beautifully and yes, it is Jazz.  

As you enjoy Miss Thornton might I recommend Shirley Horn?  

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #784 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »
I would appreciate any recommendation of that sort of music.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #785 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »
Those are some of mine.  I take them to certain places outside the house on a rare occasion.  Those are mostly for some help here
inside the home.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #786 on: September 04, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
I would appreciate any recommendation of that sort of music.

A few more and then I must take my medicine and retire for the evening.  Sophie Milman, Stacey Kent and Nancy Wilson.  And of course, Lady Time, Ella.

I have zero talent and I suppose that is the main reason I so admire it as well as refuse to view anything as pedestrian as American Idio...errrr...Idol.   All time favorite vocalist?  Francis Albert Sinatra.

I heartily recommend the album -  Francis A. and Edward K.   

I hope you enjoy these talented artists.  I am certain The Ugly also has a great many excellent recommendations for you too.

Goodnight and be well.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #787 on: September 04, 2015, 09:04:37 PM »
Me & Jim Miller training together

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #788 on: September 04, 2015, 09:09:15 PM »
Training and yes, I am a fan of Luke, hence the shirt.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #789 on: September 04, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
I don't.  I eat and I go to sleep.  Truth. 

Exact same for me. When I get home, I just have something to eat, lie down and either sleep or drift into that awake/almost asleep mode.
Doing nothing is the best way for me to relax. As I get older I am finding that remaining motionless and doing nothing is getting easier and easier for me. I guess it my body's way of slowing dying.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #790 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »
A few more and then I must take my medicine and retire for the evening.  Sophie Milman, Stacey Kent and Nancy Wilson.  And of course, Lady Time, Ella.

I have zero talent and I suppose that is the main reason I so admire it as well as refuse to view anything as pedestrian as American Idio...errrr...Idol.   All time favorite vocalist?  Francis Albert Sinatra.

I heartily recommend the album -  Francis A. and Edward K.    

I hope you enjoy these talented artists.  I am certain The Ugly also has a great many excellent recommendations for you too.

Goodnight and be well.

Love jazz, but not too familiar with vocalists, Scott. My interest is mainly instrumental: traditional, ragtime, BEBOP (!), and all the Miles-inspired 'bops' that followed (hard, cool, etc.). Also, whatever it is that Brubeck followed with later, love it. Never been much of a big band or jazz vocalist fan, though. Late 40s/50s, not my fave.

One exception: Louis. I can listen to Armstrong all f'n day - trumpet, cornet, vocals, whatever. He's jazz's Babe Ruth, no question.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #791 on: September 05, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »
What's he got there? looks like a p90 or variant of one?
Lol, its sad that I know what many guns look like from playing Call of Duty  :D

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #792 on: September 05, 2015, 06:48:02 AM »
Ok, smartypants: favorite bottle of red, 1-2 Norco 10/325, Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue,' headphones required.

Enjoy.

For years when I was single, I used to chill out after work with a glass of decent Cabernet and Kind of Blue. It really is Miles Davis at his best.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #793 on: September 05, 2015, 06:50:18 AM »
What's he got there? looks like a p90 or variant of one?

The P90 is the full auto SBR, the SP90 is the semi with the longer barrel. Both of them take that horrid little 5.7mm round that's almost impossible to source.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #794 on: September 05, 2015, 07:25:47 AM »
Yeah the SP90 is the civvy version isn't it? is that what it is in the pic? hard to tell. We have the MP7 over here as a similar sort of weapon.

Yes. I have a friend that owns a real P90. He is a "07/SOT" which is a technical term for a civilian manufacturer of full-auto and suppressed weapons. It's a pleasant weapon to shoot, if you can find the ammo for it. The SP90 is stupid: weak-ass pistol round in a semi-auto rifle bullpup format with a dumb long barrel.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #795 on: September 05, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
Love jazz, but not too familiar with vocalists, Scott. My interest is mainly instrumental: traditional, ragtime, BEBOP (!), and all the Miles-inspired 'bops' that followed (hard, cool, etc.). Also, whatever it is that Brubeck followed with later, love it. Never been much of a big band or jazz vocalist fan, though. Late 40s/50s, not my fave.

One exception: Louis. I can listen to Armstrong all f'n day - trumpet, cornet, vocals, whatever. He's jazz's Babe Ruth, no question.

Satchelmouth rules, my friend.  The father of real Jazz and a fine, distinctive vocalist on his own.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #796 on: September 05, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
Any of you cats dig Brubeck?  ...Le Souk?  ...A Train?  ....etc., etc.?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #797 on: September 05, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I'd post some, but I don't want to hijack Harley's thread (great thread!!)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #798 on: September 05, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
Benelli M4 with the usual idiot bells and whistles added on.
Mossberg 500
.40 caliber rife

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #799 on: September 05, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
1967 Nova (SS), for anyone who hasn't seen one: