Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 596254 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #875 on: September 06, 2015, 09:11:50 PM »
Say,

Have you seen this? Choke, about your boy Rickson. From the documentary thread in General Topics.

Good stuff.

Would you say he's one of the best ever?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #876 on: September 06, 2015, 09:15:57 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
  I have written on this thread my feelings and opinions about Rickson from training with him, meeting him, speaking with him and writing to him.
  Pellius is actually one of the luckiest men alive of whom I am most envious as he is a direct Rickson Gracie student and trained privately with him and
other Gracies before anyone in America knew what a Gracie was.  Now I am sure, Pellius could write a great book and his BJJ must be awesome too.
Harley

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #877 on: September 06, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
  I have written on this thread my feelings and opinions about Rickson from training with him, meeting him, speaking with him and writing to him.
  Pellius is actually one of the luckiest men alive of whom I am most envious as he is a direct Rickson Gracie student and trained privately with him and
other Gracies before anyone in America knew what a Gracie was.  Now I am sure, Pellius could write a great book and his BJJ must be awesome too.
Harley

Haven't paid close attention to your BJJ posts, I'm afraid, and I sometimes confuse my Gracies. Which did you say was sort of an asshole, and which is considered a god in Brazil?

Also, which did you say was your close friend - are they all the same guy?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #878 on: September 06, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
   Royler Gracie is "my favorite Gracie"  LOL.  He and I are extremely close.
   I met Rickson in Brasil while at one of his seminars and he was less than friendly.
   I had an incredible lunch at Renzo's home one day with a long table full of Gracies and he was just very nice.  You did get the feeling that
Renzo was the most unstable in terms of willingness to risk it all on a street fight. 
   Vitor Terra is one of my closest friends and Professors and
he is a brother in law of Renzo. 
   I've met and trained with Royce and I have represented almost all these guys too.
   When I go to Brasil, I train at Gracie Humaita and Rolker is just great with me.
   There are many others but it will bore you to go through them all.
   The Gracies are an incredible family but in most respects they are just like every other family.  They have their inner disputes.  They are
competitive.  They fight and most of the time make up.  They stand up for one another.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #879 on: September 06, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »
   Royler Gracie is "my favorite Gracie"  LOL.  He and I are extremely close.
   I met Rickson in Brasil while at one of his seminars and he was less than friendly.
   I had an incredible lunch at Renzo's home one day with a long table full of Gracies and he was just very nice.  You did get the feeling that
Renzo was the most unstable in terms of willingness to risk it all on a street fight. 
   Vitor Terra is one of my closest friends and Professors and
he is a brother in law of Renzo. 
   I've met and trained with Royce and I have represented almost all these guys too.
   When I go to Brasil, I train at Gracie Humaita and Rolker is just great with me.
   There are many others but it will bore you to go through them all.
   The Gracies are an incredible family but in most respects they are just like every other family.  They have their inner disputes.  They are
competitive.  They fight and most of the time make up.  They stand up for one another.

Thanks for clarifying. Until that doc, I'd only seen Royce and Renzo fight. Rickson seemed most impressive, though. You also said one had a son who passed; gues I should go back and read up a bit.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #880 on: September 06, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
Harley

LOL! I'm waaay past my prime and I haven't trained with a gi in over ten years. It's a young man's sport and your physicality does matter.
And I wonder how Rickson, now closing in on 57 years old, would fair against the likes of Roger Gracie and Buchecha.

So often others would refer to Rickson as a god. He was just so much more advance than even the top competitors of the day like Gurgel and Nino. I mean, he grew up in pretty much the same environment
as his brothers and cousins but yet he was the one emerge to the top. I really don't think it's because he was smarter than everybody else or that he trained harder than the rest. They all trained hard.
He just had that certain "something-something" as Quentin Tarantino would call it.

Rickson's no god but he sure was touched by the hand of God.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #881 on: September 06, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »
   Rickson's BJJ and MMA prowess, for all its greatness, is, to me, overshadowed by his arrogance and unwillingness to bring such simple yet great
pleasure to those who consider themselves fortunate to just meet him.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #882 on: September 06, 2015, 10:42:42 PM »
   Rickson's BJJ and MMA prowess, for all its greatness, is, to me, overshadowed by his arrogance and unwillingness to bring such simple yet great
pleasure to those who consider themselves fortunate to just meet him.

It's disappointing for me to hear about your experience with Rickson. When I knew him he was always joking around and laughing. No matter how serious the discussion got with us, and we had plenty during my private lessons with him, he'd always end it with some joke to lighten mood. He would tell these lame and corny jokes that were funny only because of the way he would tell it and act it out.

I remember once telling him that in America a tough guy would say to someone, "I can take you with one arm tied behind my back." I told him that I've been training practically everyday now for three years and I can tap all the blues and most of the purples. "You think you can tap me with "one arm tied behind your back?"

He looked at me and smiled and then walked out into the middle of the mat and I followed. He started to put his left hand under his belt and then stopped, smiled, took it out and put his right hand under his belt. Then he looked at me, kind of rolled his eyes, and put his other hand under his belt so that both hands were tied up.

I then smiled and said "That is very generous of you and I will return the favor and allow us to start inside your guard." So he lies down and as I am about to get in his guard he says, "Pellius, I even give you the mount."

I just shook my head and laughed and said, "Say good-bye to your undefeated record." So I mount him, my knees and hips pinning his hands to his body and say, "OK, on the count of three."

Now, in my mind, I was going to cheat not because I wanted to beat him but because I just wanted to save him some embarrassment and give him an excuse as to why he lost. We both realized it was all in good fun but still he would have to tap to me. So told him we'll start at the count of three. My plan was that as soon as I said "one" I would attack. My favorite attack from the mount was a modified cross choke. I would snake my right arm behind his neck, grab the sleeve of my left hand which would be across his neck and squeeze for dear life. I like this choke better than the tradition cross choke because I could generate much more power and also by having my right arm behind his neck I could hold him in close and tight and just lock it in. With the cross choke I find it much harder to hold him in tight and close.

Anyway, I say, "One..." and then just pounce and try to snap it in.

With just pure hip movement he escapes the mount, and since I knew I was in trouble I start to back out and stand hoping I can pass his guard and get side control. He just uses his feet to hook me behind my knees, I swear his legs had the same mobility as his arms, and pulls me back in and snaps a triangle on me.

I just shook my head in disbelief.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #883 on: September 06, 2015, 10:51:20 PM »
BTW, I use to train and work at the same gym with Benny Podda for a few years when he was there. It was called Barlow's and later Casey's gym in Torrance, CA. Small and old school, as most gyms were in the 1980s. He was probably the most dynamic and intense personality I have ever met. He was also one of the most good humored and funniest person as well. I have never seen anyone match his training intensity. Those guys at Gold's seemed to sleep walk through their training compared to Benny, especially Paul Dillet -- the most freaky bber I have ever seen in person.

I once commented on his freaky forearms and calves and he told me he got them from his mother. "Your mom?" I asked. He said, "Yes, she had a good build. Very powerful. When she took me to the zoo as a kid the gorillas use to whistle at her."

He was very well read and intelligent but just such a dynamic and powerful personality.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #884 on: September 06, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »
Harley

there is a lot of conjecture and doubts about the dosages of steroids pros use.

having been in the iron game for over 20 years and trained in hardcore gyms like Diamond and known and associated with many pros I hypothesize that you would have much knowledge on the topic.

can you verify that the the average testosterone dose MOST pros use per week would run between 3-5 grams?

this is not including other steroids, just some form of testo.

Harley

can u please comment on this if you are able to?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #885 on: September 06, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »
BTW, looking back, I'm not so sure how great an instructor Rickson was. When you are talented, have a quality that you are simply born with, you might be somewhat less than perceptive as to the trouble or obstacles your students may have. After all, so much came to you naturally and without as much effort as one less gifted. It should be noted that Rickson has never produced a single champion that he trained from the ground up except his son, Kron. Anyone that ever distinguished themselves were already advance when they came to Rickson. You get guys like Renzo, Royler and Ceasar Gracie (who is not even a real Gracie) producing several world class champions but not Rickson. I'm especially in awe of Ceasar who never even competed at a high level, if at all, yet produced several top MMA fighters and BJJ/ADCC competitors like David Terrell, Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez, the Diaz brothers. I mean, it's hard to believe that somewhat grim area of Central CA. would just happen to be a hot bed of MMA talent. Ceasar must be doing something right.    

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #886 on: September 06, 2015, 11:09:29 PM »
A female friend of mine (who does bjj) met Royce and said he was kind of "rude" and she wasn't too fond of him. I could tell she was trying to downplay it. Is he a womanizer or something?

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #887 on: September 06, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
Harley,    ever have an issue with your hair being pulled in a match?  and how is that viewed by the fighters?  I would think it is as low as it gets, but recall Royce ripping out a huge chunk of Kimo Leopold's hair one match.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #888 on: September 07, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »
It's disappointing for me to hear about your experience with Rickson. When I knew him he was always joking around and laughing. No matter how serious the discussion got with us, and we had plenty during my private lessons with him, he'd always end it with some joke to lighten mood. He would tell these lame and corny jokes that were funny only because of the way he would tell it and act it out.

I remember once telling him that in America a tough guy would say to someone, "I can take you with one arm tied behind my back." I told him that I've been training practically everyday now for three years and I can tap all the blues and most of the purples. "You think you can tap me with "one arm tied behind your back?"

He looked at me and smiled and then walked out into the middle of the mat and I followed. He started to put his left hand under his belt and then stopped, smiled, took it out and put his right hand under his belt. Then he looked at me, kind of rolled his eyes, and put his other hand under his belt so that both hands were tied up.

I then smiled and said "That is very generous of you and I will return the favor and allow us to start inside your guard." So he lies down and as I am about to get in his guard he says, "Pellius, I even give you the mount."

I just shook my head and laughed and said, "Say good-bye to your undefeated record." So I mount him, my knees and hips pinning his hands to his body and say, "OK, on the count of three."

Now, in my mind, I was going to cheat not because I wanted to beat him but because I just wanted to save him some embarrassment and give him an excuse as to why he lost. We both realized it was all in good fun but still he would have to tap to me. So told him we'll start at the count of three. My plan was that as soon as I said "one" I would attack. My favorite attack from the mount was a modified cross choke. I would snake my right arm behind his neck, grab the sleeve of my left hand which would be across his neck and squeeze for dear life. I like this choke better than the tradition cross choke because I could generate much more power and also by having my right arm behind his neck I could hold him in close and tight and just lock it in. With the cross choke I find it much harder to hold him in tight and close.

Anyway, I say, "One..." and then just pounce and try to snap it in.

With just pure hip movement he escapes the mount, and since I knew I was in trouble I start to back out and stand hoping I can pass his guard and get side control. He just uses his feet to hook me behind my knees, I swear his legs had the same mobility as his arms, and pulls me back in and snaps a triangle on me.

I just shook my head in disbelief.

Dear Pellius,
  Wow!! That is seriously, one of the greatest stories I have ever read and makes me wonder how many of them are lost out there just waiting to be told only by those rare and infinitely
lucky persons to have been in the right spot at the same time.  Rickson is no God (I am an atheist) but watching him on the mat leaves me not only wondering what he just did, but wondering
if he and I are actually involved in the same martial art.  His talents are in part, a gift from the cosmos and a thing of utter beauty to watch.
  Thank you for telling me that story. 
  And just for the rest of the GetBiggers, I am telling you, with my 25 years of martial arts training, that Pellius is the most humble person here and can seriously wreck ALL of us
if he so choose.  In the hope of having the privilege of meeting Pellius in person,  I will hide my neck and buy him as many drinks and steaks as he would like.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #889 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:10 AM »
Dear Old School Lifter,
  Please don't think I am ignoring your question.
  It is what I would've thought was the very first question you guys would've asked me and it is, the one
which will provoke the most disbelief and argument.
  Let me get myself feeling a little better today (I practiced guillotine escapes last night and honestly, my throat is closed and in a
great deal of pain- Yes, I know I sound like a little bitch but I promised to be honest at all times while on GetBig).
  When I feel a bit better, I am going to answer this with all seriousness no matter how pissed you guys get.
  But remember, I don't have horse in the race.  I am not sponsored by anyone, I don't compete and I don't make any money
by coming here and expressing what are only my views and no one else's.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #890 on: September 07, 2015, 05:36:09 AM »
Dear Pellius,
  Wow!! That is seriously, one of the greatest stories I have ever read and makes me wonder how many of them are lost out there just waiting to be told only by those rare and infinitely
lucky persons to have been in the right spot at the same time.  Rickson is no God (I am an atheist) but watching him on the mat leaves me not only wondering what he just did, but wondering
if he and I are actually involved in the same martial art.  His talents are in part, a gift from the cosmos and a thing of utter beauty to watch.
  Thank you for telling me that story. 
  And just for the rest of the GetBiggers, I am telling you, with my 25 years of martial arts training, that Pellius is the most humble person here and can seriously wreck ALL of us
if he so choose.  In the hope of having the privilege of meeting Pellius in person,  I will hide my neck and buy him as many drinks and steaks as he would like.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #891 on: September 07, 2015, 05:46:13 AM »
Harley,    ever have an issue with your hair being pulled in a match?  and how is that viewed by the fighters?  I would think it is as low as it gets, but recall Royce ripping out a huge chunk of Kimo Leopold's hair one match.

Dear Hazbin,
  My hair is ALWAYS being "caught" when I compete in BJJ.  Guys love to put their knee down and hold my head while moving forward.  They know I am stuck at that point.
There are guys who have purposely pulled it out from the ponytail and then grabbed it to yank it out or step on it with bad intention.
  My opinion on that as you asked?  I think it's just downright pussy!!!  A BJJ match is NOT a street fight.  If you can't beat me within the spirit of the sport or
at least on your own talent and work ethic and feel the need to pull my hair, you can have the stupid medal. I'm there primarily to prove to myself that I wouldn't
back down anymore if someone wanted to bully me.  The other reason I am there is that I want to learn how to better protect myself and putting myself in that "controlled"
situation goes a long way for me to know what I might and might not be able to do in a street situation.  Winning, is never my serious objective. I have the worst attitude
of any "competitor."  I never think about the matches I won.  I keep thinking about the times I tapped out and examined if I did so too fast or what I might have been able to
do better.  I think it's bullshit and cowardice to pull hair in a BJJ match.  I'm 48 years old next week.  C'mon, does a guy really have to pull my hair to beat me?
  As far as a Street Fight-  all bets are off!!!  That is a situation where you could literally have one bad misstep and end up dead.  I have represented persons who have unintentionally
killed others in a street fight.  Hitting your head on the concrete is one way you are going to die or wish you were dead afterward.  Me, personally, there are no rules in a street fight
and I would always look to stick my finger deep into the eye of my opponent.  The pain is immense and if you can't see me, you can't hurt me.  You MUST think about your life and
your health, even in what you think is just a "small, silly little street fight."  Real street fights are NOTHING like the movies.
Harley

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #892 on: September 07, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
Harley, the most basic thing you should have set is the ebay searcher.  It will notify you by email if one of those 144s appear in an ebay listing or store:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Never-Ever-Miss-Out-Again-On-The-Item-You-Really-Want-/10000000000767264/g.html

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #893 on: September 07, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #894 on: September 07, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »

if he so choose. 
Harley
::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #895 on: September 07, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »

He must have intimate knowledge after representing him in one of his cases...

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #896 on: September 07, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »
Had you already looked into this one, Harley?

http://www.autorestorationice.com/2015/04/super-clean-1970-volvo-144s.html

Dear Las Vegas,
  Thanks for the help.  
Harley

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #897 on: September 07, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »

Hahahahahaha yes Chaos, are you suggesting that Master Splinter taught him well?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #898 on: September 07, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
He must have intimate knowledge after representing him in one of his cases...

Trust me, you just don't train with a guy like Rickson, for as long as Pellius did and the manner in which he was able to train without becoming
a very dangerous person yourself.  

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #899 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  Thanks for the help.  
Harley

Harley, while you're here...a quick question (if you have time).

My friend has separated from his wife, and now lives in his own rented place. They have 3 young boys (all under 5) and currently they have informal arrangements for time with the kids.

My wife told me yesterday that the mother is planning to move to Scotland (without telling the father), and that he can fly up and see the kids once per month (currently sees them weekly).

Surely he can prevent this from happening beforehand? I'm guessing that it will have to go to court, and then it be decided on what is 'reasonable' in terms of distance and times to see his kids.............

(No violence or adultery or anything like that, they just separated because it wasn't working out)

Any quick advice appreciated!