Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 596445 times)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 11, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »
You should create an ebook version, Harley.  It's easy enough to do.

(Do you know who posted the current version on Amazon?  Who is profiting from the sales?)

Dear Las Vegas,
  I must profess my ignorance in not knowing what an "ebook version" even is.
  My Grandfather paid Shengold to publish it and never thought about a profit.  I can tell you that no one in my
family ever saw a royalty check and we never asked.  We just wanted the story and pictures preserved until the day
some extremist blows up the earth in its entirety and then history will become completely irrelevant.
  Until that day, my Grandfather's goal of people not completely forgetting or not even knowing has been fulfilled and
continues to be by you guys too.
  I really want to try to express my gratitude to ALL of you for finding the site to his book and asking such honest and thoughtful
questions.  Please know that I am not making any money from any of this.  I am just touched by your interest and the lack of
racism about the topic.  I remember GetBig being a much less tolerant site which was a large part I had left.  Today, I feel that
while it is an open and free site to exchange ideas, and that means ideas of which we disagree on very sensitive and serious issues,
GetBig has evolved a bit to host intelligent, thought provoking questions evincing a desire to learn about a host of different things.
 This is a nice place to be.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1051 on: September 11, 2015, 03:43:45 AM »
Harrley, I just ordered your grandfather's book and plan to bring it to the Thursday evening O Meet the Olympians with the hope that you will autograph it for me.

I hate standing in line so you may hear me yelling , "Hey,, Harley!!".

New subject ... I have NOT read all of this thread so I may be 'remiss' in mentioning this but someone just asked n anoyher thread how much a pro would spend getting ready for the O.

The last time I asked that question more than ten years back, the response was approximately $10,00 a month ... but that may be far off base in either direction nowadays.

I am an avid reader and look forward to read ing your zayde's book.

I hope it arrives before you get here.

Todah and shalom, Stunt 

(Any incorrect Jewish pronunciations are simply because I am Swedish)

Dear Stuntmovie,
  I was so touched that you went and ordered the book that I told my Mom last night and it was the best birthday gift she received all day.  Thank you so much.
  I would be honored to sign the book for you.  Somehow, I usually sneak my way behind Craig's table at the Meet The Olympians and sit with him for the hour.
  That is how I struck out with Christine Pomponio Pate, but that is a whole other story.
  There won't be any line of people waiting for Craig to sign his photos which I think might even be free.  The lines are for Kai and people like that DLB girl.
  I hope that you and any GetBigger come and say hello and whatever Craig has there, is yours.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1052 on: September 11, 2015, 03:45:09 AM »
Hey Guys,
  I promise that tomorrow, Saturday, I will sit down and write my opinion as to how much gear the pros use.
  Again, I warn you, you will not believe or like my opinion but having been asked, I will offer it in return.
Harley

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #1053 on: September 11, 2015, 03:46:03 AM »
Hey Guys,
  I promise that tomorrow, Saturday, I will sit down and write my opinion as to how much gear the pros use.
  Again, I warn you, you will not believe or like my opinion but having been asked, I will offer it in return.
Harley
Harley you are a good dude. Its great to have you here.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #1054 on: September 11, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »
Harley you are a good dude. Its great to have you here.

+1
©

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1055 on: September 11, 2015, 06:12:28 AM »
Harley, do you have access to the pictures from the book?  (I understand they aren t electronic/computer pictures.)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1056 on: September 11, 2015, 06:52:17 AM »
Hey Guys,
Harley
I have a feeling this will be good!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1057 on: September 11, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
Harrley, I just ordered your grandfather's book and plan to bring it to the Thursday evening O Meet the Olympians with the hope that you will autograph it for me.

I hate standing in line so you may hear me yelling , "Hey,, Harley!!".

New subject ... I have NOT read all of this thread so I may be 'remiss' in mentioning this but someone just asked n anoyher thread how much a pro would spend getting ready for the O.

The last time I asked that question more than ten years back, the response was approximately $10,00 a month ... but that may be far off base in either direction nowadays.

I am an avid reader and look forward to read ing your zayde's book.

I hope it arrives before you get here.

Todah and shalom, Stunt 

(Any incorrect Jewish pronunciations are simply because I am Swedish)

Where did you find it, stunt? That Amazon link says out of print.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1058 on: September 11, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »
Dear Alucard,
   My Grandfather and Father were in more than just Flossenburg.  Yes, they both witnesses people "being asked" to walk into a brick building which omitted a terribly black smoke
(I really hope that doesn't invite Wiggs to make one of his points- that would be very insensitive as not just Jews were being gassed and burned alive) and then an odor of which no one
was previously familiar but would then never forget.  My Dad saw very young children walk in but never walk out.
   My Father was hidden at some point by a Catholic family and became an alter boy and took communion.  Of course, he didn't know what it all meant but he knew to do it or he would be
exposed and taken away to die.  This imbedded within him a very deep rooted appreciation for people of other faiths who were willing to risk their lives and the lives of their family for a "Jew."
   My Father did not speak too much of all this as an adult but Steven Spielberg founded a company that records and preserves the stories of Holocaust survivors.  They came (no, not Steven)
to our house and conducted a video interview with my family, first without my Dad and then with my Dad alone.  They gave us a complimentary tape from their library in California and watching
my own Dad, in our own living room speak the way he did, was quite moving. 
   And then I mentioned that I met the children of the Austrian family who saved my Dad's life.  I wrote about how and why I cried like a little girl just a bit earlier in this thread I believe.
   Thanks for asking and I hope this helps.
Harley
Thanks a lot for your stories mr Breite... Interesting that you mention "burned alive", because that's what they did, "gassing" was only for putting them asleep before the fire sacrifice... Obviously people don't make the connection still today, just the word holocaust means burnt offering... Being myself some sort of historian, i did lot of research on WW1-WW2 and the Holocaust in particular since i was young, there's much much more than only a racial extermination, in fact it wasn't about race at all, but religion... As they said, all roads lead to Rome... I'll try to check out your father's book...

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1059 on: September 11, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
Where did you find it, stunt? That Amazon link says out of print.

Really? It's out of print and can't even be ordered?  Wow, that makes me sad.
   As far as access to those pictures in the book, I imagine my Father has them somewhere in the house but I would have to go
through is desk and I'm not really ready to do that.
  As far as Alucard, I appreciate your response but disagree with you just a bit on some of your historical assertions.  There were in fact, death camps with ovens which
were used to burn people alive.  The problem for the Nazis' "Final Solution" (Hitler’s verbal command to Goering, Himmler, and Heydrich in the summer of 1941 for the extermination of all Jews) 
was that the “Vernichtungslager” (Extermination Camp) could not burn enough people fast enough. Auschwitz alone had 4 huge gas chambers and an adjoining crematoria.  At the end of the war, it was gassing 6,000 persons a day.  In 46 days during the summer of 1944 between 250,000 and 300,000 Hungarian Jews alone were killed there.  The Red Army overran it in January 1945.
  Also, Hitler was indeed interested in exterminating race as he saw Czechs and Yugoslavs (and all the other "foreigners") not as religious targets, but rather, as racial or national targets.  He sought
to exterminate all the homosexuals as well, regardless of religion.  Hitler's madness, in my opinion which appears a bit different than yours, was not in fact targeted against religion, but rather,
ethnicities, sexual proclivities and persons of other nations.
  Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a history rant. 
Harley 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1060 on: September 11, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
It's interesting, Harley, because there were copies available when you made your recent post mentioning the book on this thread.  That included at least two used copies, so it would be good to know whether Stunt chose a used copy or what the supply looked like when he made the buy.

But the idea behind an ebook is to make a title instantly available to anyone for download.  It is as simple as typing it onto a file and uploading it.  If your goal isn't to make money, you can even offer it for free.

If you wrote to Shengold from your professional email account, and explained to them who you are and that you want to keep your granddad's writing alive, they would most likely be glad to create an ebook or certainly turn everything over to you (including any copies of pictures they may have on file).

From what I saw with Shengold, though, they don't seem too active at this moment.  They have an electronic Jewish Encyclopedia at their web address, and that's the only current sign of publishing that I can see.  But there is almost certainly contact information if you want to do that.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1061 on: September 11, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »
Let me know if you want help with any of that, H.  I will be happy to assist.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1062 on: September 11, 2015, 04:35:33 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  I really appreciate your help.  I would like to contact Shengold and ask them if they have any more hardcopies for sale in that I myself, would buy
them up.  I have about 2 small boxes full here at my house but that is it.  I actually give them to people as gifts if the people are sincere or I really like
them. 
  I am one of those guys who doesn't like that whole Kindle thing or reading a book on the computer.  I am old school and want to hold the book in my hand,
I want to feel the page as I turn each one, I want that page turned only as a symbol of it having achieved its goal of imparting knowledge and most of all, I actually
highlight things in each and every book I read and then type up whatever I've highlighted into a Word File so that I can always see it and use it as a reference or just
remember a sentence or thought that was well written.
  I have a feeling Shengold went out of business and doesn't have any more hard copies but maybe we can ask them. 
  Thanks so much.
Harley

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #1063 on: September 11, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
  That is how I struck out with Christine Pomponio Pate, but that is a whole other story.

Dear Harley

What, you dated Christine few years ago?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1064 on: September 11, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »
Contact forms are notorious for being nothing but black holes, but you can ping them for a gamble:

http://shengold.com/editorial/

If you do try and the form didn't work, let me know and I'll see about a working email or phone number somewhere.  Either a person is at the helm at Shengold or not.

If not, and you have the pictures plus a copy of the book, you can DIY easily enough.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1065 on: September 11, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »
Dear Harley

What, you dated Christine few years ago?

Dear Kwon_2,
  Oh no, let there be no confusion or mistake.  I did NOT date her. I struck out by asking her out and she politely refusing.
  Please don't for a second think that she came even remotely close to going on a date with me.
  I strike out at the plate but hey, you can't hit a home run if you don't swing at the pitch.
Harley

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #1066 on: September 11, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
Dear Kwon_2,
  Oh no, let there be no confusion or mistake.  I did NOT date her. I struck out by asking her out and she politely refusing.
  Please don't for a second think that she came even remotely close to going on a date with me.
  I strike out at the plate but hey, you can't hit a home run if you don't swing at the pitch.
Harley
At least you struck out, which is more you can say about many others.

Good for you Harley "Shining So" Breite!

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1067 on: September 11, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  I really appreciate your help.  I would like to contact Shengold and ask them if they have any more hardcopies for sale in that I myself, would buy
them up.  I have about 2 small boxes full here at my house but that is it.  I actually give them to people as gifts if the people are sincere or I really like
them. 
  I am one of those guys who doesn't like that whole Kindle thing or reading a book on the computer.  I am old school and want to hold the book in my hand,
I want to feel the page as I turn each one, I want that page turned only as a symbol of it having achieved its goal of imparting knowledge and most of all, I actually
highlight things in each and every book I read and then type up whatever I've highlighted into a Word File so that I can always see it and use it as a reference or just
remember a sentence or thought that was well written.
  I have a feeling Shengold went out of business and doesn't have any more hard copies but maybe we can ask them. 
  Thanks so much.
Harley

No, there's someone behind Shengold, still.  Someone is paying for the name and adding stuff to the encyclopedia.  If you don't have success with the contact page (probably give it 48 hours or so), let me know.  Meanwhile, will let you know if anything related comes across my path.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1068 on: September 11, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
I promise to tell that story too as it came up only because someone mentioned the Meet The Olympians which I attend with Craig.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1069 on: September 11, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »
UGLY, Doc Chimp posted the link and I clicked on it and ordered it....

I intend to take it to the O and have Harley autograph it for me.

Here is the same  link that Doc Chimp provided and the same link I used to order it from..

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Hell-Life-Jakob-Breitowicz/dp/0884000915/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441836998&sr=8-1&keywords=Through+Hell+To+Life%22

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1070 on: September 11, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
HARLEY, Thanks and it's great to hear that it gave your mom some happiness.

Please anticipate some questions from me once I finish reading it.

It's unbelievable the torment that so many millions went through while Hitler was alive.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1071 on: September 11, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
Harley, Stunt's link is to Amazon.  If you create an ebook, it will no longer say "unavailable".  It will allow people to have a copy to read on any device they want.  It is 100% free to publish, and you can make it 100% free to all interested people.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1072 on: September 11, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
Dear Stuntmovie,
  Thanks so much for buying the book.  Trust me, I don't make any money from this.
  I am happy to sign a book for anyone and answer any questions about the topic whether or not they bought the book too.
  Not just Jews were murdered, but so many other people.  Yes, I know it's said that Russia lost 10 million people as well just at
the hands of Stalin and fighting against Hitler.  Those 2 guys sure have a great deal of blood on their hands.
  I like the part where Stalin ruins his wife's life by refusing to negotiate for the return of his captured son and then the Germans
offer him back and he still says no.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1073 on: September 11, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  If we make it an EBook, will they still be able to see all the photos in the book?
  I would do it as I said, I am not trying to make money.  I would be happier to have kids in school read it as
an assignment for free.
Harley

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #1074 on: September 11, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
 And then I mentioned that I met the children of the Austrian family who saved my Dad's life.  I wrote about how and why I cried like a little girl just a bit earlier in this thread I believe.
   Thanks for asking and I hope this helps.
Harley

Dear Harley,
This might sound a bit wussy for GetBig but I've now read just about everything you've posted and I've decided I have to say it.  My job is protecting vulnerable adults & children from harm (I have to keep it vague), so over the years I've built up quite a thick skin (to survive and not bring it home every night).  Even so, I have to tell you your recent posts have really moved me and reminded me of the shared humanity that we all have and why I do what I do (even though it means I'll never drive a Ferrari LOL!)  Please accept my sincere thanks for your brave honesty

Taf  :)
T