Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 596230 times)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #1900 on: October 14, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
I remember a good boxer who i won´t name here told me .. Drink a large glass of water before a meal.

from the look of your fat face, who are you to give diet advice?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #1901 on: October 14, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »
Hey Guys,
  Do any of you ever feel as if all you wanted to do was to liberate yourself from all the stress your job creates?
  I so often think of Michael Douglas' character in "Falling Down" and admire how he was able to just let it all go
and dish out true justice to all the stupid idiots who unnecessarily tried to make his life more difficult.
  Sometimes I wish I could do that.
  Whenever I see that classic photo of him in that white short sleeved shirt carrying the black bag through traffic, I smile
and root for him all over again.
Harley

All of the time Mr. Breite... All of the time.

Still, some of our jobs, while stressful in their own right, could be much, much worse.

I'm stressed at times, but thankful at the same time.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1902 on: October 14, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
Hey Guys,
  Do any of you ever feel as if all you wanted to do was to liberate yourself from all the stress your job creates?
  I so often think of Michael Douglas' character in "Falling Down" and admire how he was able to just let it all go
and dish out true justice to all the stupid idiots who unnecessarily tried to make his life more difficult.
  Sometimes I wish I could do that.
  Whenever I see that classic photo of him in that white short sleeved shirt carrying the black bag through traffic, I smile
and root for him all over again.
Harley

Just like Tu, all the time. All the time.

As Thoreau said in, Walden, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

So this morning I park my car in the farthest parking stall line from Safeway grocery store. It's 6 am so the parking lot was practically empty anyway but I just like my space. I'm into space. Like some elbow room as I go through this journey called life. I'm over 6 feet so I like to be able to open my car door all the way so it's easy to get in. I have long legs so most of the time I have to pull my legs into a rubber guard position to get my car.

I get out of the store and look at the long line of empty stalls until I see my car. Then I see another car parked right next to me. Parked on my driver's side. I can't open my door all the way.

Why God? Why?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1903 on: October 14, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
Dear Pellius,
  I will share a story similar to yours of which I am not proud.
  Craig and I routinely eat at Longhorn on weekends after we train.  We both arrived there after a hard leg session and I parked my
car in a completely distant part of the parking lot.  In fact, the construction was so that they made this space, far away, for only 2 cars to fit.
Naturally, no one parks there as it is far and oddly shaped.  I parked there, alone and left a half empty parking lot to eat with Craig.
  Upon arriving back to my car, there was a Dodge Caravan with the soccer ball sticker on the back window and obligatory dents all over parked
right next to my car.  The entire lot is empty.  This little enclave is made for only 2 cars!!!  They park next to and very close to me.
  I am enraged.  I look inside the Caravan and it's a complete mess with kids' toys dispersed all over.
  I wait behind the Caravan for the owner and his family to return.  Craig begins to plead with me to leave.  Very smartly, he tells me this type of
behavior is exactly what I have preached to him for years in that it is unnecessary and not proper.  I used to tell Craig to think before he acts as all
actions have a consequence and those who are intelligent and civilized usually prevail.
  I didn't listen.  I stood there becoming more and more angry.
  He pleaded with me to leave.  I agreed to leave but only after I went to the front windshield, grabbed the wiper from its base attached to the window itself
and pulled it completely off the window.  I then laid it out vertically on the outside front windshield so the owner would know it was done with purpose.
  I then left, not in fear but in prudence so as to avoid a physical confrontation.
  Again, not proud but sometimes it's the "Falling Down Syndrome."
  Wish I could find that picture of him walking down the street.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1904 on: October 15, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »
Harley
How do u stay so calm and collected when presenting or debating?

Dear Natural Wonder83,
   Your question relates to how it was that I conquered my biggest fear.  You see, if you can get to a place where you aren't nervous
from fear, you can do just about anything.  There is nothing a judge, client or anyone else can say to me that causes me to fear anymore.
  That doesn't mean I wouldn't get alarmed by someone attacking me or a doctor telling me I have cancer.  I am talking about our deep,
inner fears that stop us from reaching our potential or worse, haunting us in our thoughts, creeping into our moments of happiness to remind
us that the fear has not been conquered nor abated, it exists and lurks within us.
   Perhaps I can better answer your question by recalling a letter I wrote years ago subsequent to fighting in Brasil:

Dear Friends,
      With a composite of fear and trepidation I entered the raucous Rio de Janeiro arena through a curiously inconspicuous doorway completely unannounced from the street.  A solid husky fellow, appearing not to have missed many meals in his life, although I doubt many were ever served without the constant presence of prison guards, made sure I stopped to answer his inquiry as to whether I was spectator or combatant.  I expected and ignored his faint disdain at the thought of an American entertaining any notion of being the latter in what is pridefully known as the birthplace of Jiu-Jitsu.  In Brasil, to even say "Brazilian" Jiu-Jitsu is to imply that any other type, style or origin of Jiu-Jitsu is a mere failing facsimile of what they know and believe to be the only true form of Jiu-Jitsu.  For it is here that Helio and his brother, Carlo Gracie created the fighting form or "art" that they believed could conquer all others while ignoring such trivial variables as weight, height, strength and size.  Even their strongest critics, none of whom dared today to show their faces at this contest, would have to give them their just desserts. 
      I soon thereafter weighed in and met my Brazilian opponent on the mat.  He was of dark complexion and exercised ominous movements.  His eyes lifeless, his face plastic and angry no doubt from an existence which continuously vindicates the platitude but verity that life is not fair.  His mohawk haircut neatly trimmed for the occasion.
         So why was I here?  It was not for the love of competition or the sportsmanship.  Perhaps I was looking for some vehicle in which to channel all the aggression, resentment and embarrassment dealt to me day after day in the halls, lunch lines and at the bus stops of Junior High School and High School itself.  Maybe I needed some way to vent the rage stored inside me from 6 years of missing lunch due to some girls who felt entitled to whatever money was in my pocket and certainly took it from me, with often more than just the mere threat of violence. 
      What is immediately and universally understood by my presence and pending efforts against this maniacal Brazilian here in this modern day Coliseum, is that I will now, and forever, walk away with my lunch money in pocket.  While many find my motives sophomoric , these motives have, in fact, led to my own self-ennoblement for it is here and now that I am facing and conquering those girls.  Through this unknowingly possessed Brazilian who for me, carries the spirit of those girls and those guys who belittled me at every opportunity and in the most public of ways, I am facing up to them.  I am not backing down to them and no matter what the outcome of this match, I am fighting back.  For here, the test of courage relies not on instruments of wealth or social position, but rather, mostly upon heart.  Do I have it or don`t I?  Let`s see.
       Although primordial in most every sense, my opponent prescribed to all the minute amenities that dogmatically grace Jiu-Jitsu and give it some semblance of civilization. 
      He began by convincingly demonstrating that for him, in terms of intimidation, the old adage was indeed true, in that it was better to give rather than receive.  He felt nothing.  An impenetrable automaton whose sole purpose was to end this match in any manner I myself, saw fit, either submit to the pain or fall unconscious to a choke.  My purpose contrary; to provide him with the bitterness that he himself had so often provided to others.  The bitterness of defeat.
      I attempted to grab the Brazilian and allow my self perceived muscular strength to treat him in a subservient manner.  The Brazilian responded with sheer and utter indifference.  I was in trouble.
      I knew I had to fight back as this could be the one moment in my life that corroborates any real notion of self-worth for which I previously failed to show not even an iota of proof by any action during any previous time in my entire life.  The years had prepared me for having a keen understanding as to the importance of this very given moment. 
     Desperation became the order of the moment.  My opponent renewed his efforts with a vicious combination of brutality and technique designed to quickly put an end to me and this match, but preferably to me.  I responded with bleak signs of fortitude and a spirit which the crowd found unexpected.  We were both resolute in our purposes and neither would acknowledge the terrible punishment we were both now receiving.
     As the pain around my neck grows to an almost unbearable tolerance I ask myself again, "Why am I here?"  I have enough money.  I have a Ferrari.  I have my parents.  I have a great dog.  I have great friends who claim that if I never fight again they would not think the less of me.  So why have I come all this way only to find myself in the virtual vice grip of some mad Brazilian's arms and legs as he seeks to cease my breathing only for the purpose of his being claimed victorious (as opposed to the less noble intent of actually wishing me harm)?
      At that moment I chose to fight on rather than "tap-out" and voluntarily end the match by submission.  I was not returning from Brasil as a quitter in my own mind.  I decided to fight or be put to sleep rather than submit.  I continued my struggle as my perception began to fade and my breath slowed from a dissipation to a termination.  I attempted to recruit my energy and resolve and hung on.  And I did just that.  Some time thereafter, the time ended and the match was over.  We were both dreadfully punished. 
     The score was zero to zero.  The crowd was completely disappointed.  Never had they dreamed that their hometown favorite would not be met with success.  They could not forbear exulting.  Prior to the fight I was an Americano, a poser, well beneath their notice.  Now the referee would chose the victor.  My opponent's hand was raised and I garnered the 3rd Place Medal.
      The truth is, The Mad Brazilian fought undismayed seeking victory while I sought to prove that my courage was of no ordinary nature.  In the end, isn't that all I really wanted?  I sought out to regain what I had lost on those bus stops and lunch lines.  I had lived most of my life seeking to regain my own sense of pride and self-esteem and today, through this crazy set of events hereto described above, I filled that void.  I had now, not by any material gain, not through riches or public acceptance, recaptured the thing I lost so long ago for which there truly is no price; the heart of a fighter. 
      My moral victory here today comes only after what might appear to be an unflaggingly solitary effort.  That is far from true.  There are my parents who have since lived those school days with me and all my insecurities, the friends who encouraged me even when I weighed 88 pounds in high school and there could be no sign of any physical justice in the horizon.  There are my other friends who have given me counsel and support through my metamorphosis.  And then, there are the trainers who helped sculpt me into a finished work of redemption.  There is David Jones, Rick Jones, Darryl Perry, Craig Richardson, Shihan Larry Cowan, Sensei Anthony DeMarco, Shihan Juan Perez, Mike Mrkulic, David Avid, Royler Gracie, Angelica Oliviera, Jason Tabor, and Brian O'Leary.  There are also of course, all the guys who lent their support and patience from Mike Mrkulic Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie New Jersey and Gracie Humaita.
     Through the most arduous demands of the body, the fighter can transcend the physical.  The place at which I fought was not merely a rubber, sweat and blood laden mat of sacrifice but an alter of sorts for my own personal redemption.  I feel redeemed.

Respectfully,
Harley

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1905 on: October 15, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »
harley out of curiosity do you believe in the teachings of napolean hill , and the law of attraction.

i have a australian friend who is pretty successfull who swears by it

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #1906 on: October 15, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
Harley Breite is like a mix of Kahn N Singh, OnlyMe and Galeniko. What a great man!  8)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1907 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:35 PM »
Dear Harley,

Great story and writing. Took me back to my first tournament. I took it so seriously and had this do or die attitude. Just like my first after school fist fight in kindergarten. After a while it just became another day at the office. I stopped being nervous and just was kind of
empty of emotion. No real expectations of winning or losing. Just fight and do your best and whatever happens -- happens.

Sucks that you got shaken down by girls. When I first read that I thought it was a mistake until you mentioned it again later in your narrative.

I lol at "A solid husky fellow, appearing not to have missed many meals in his life, although I doubt many were ever served without the constant presence of prison guards..."

But seriously, Girls? How does that happen?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1908 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:38 AM »
I graduated high school weighing only 88 pounds.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #1909 on: October 16, 2015, 03:00:42 AM »
I have no clue who this person is...

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1910 on: October 16, 2015, 03:02:32 AM »
harley out of curiosity do you believe in the teachings of napolean hill , and the law of attraction.

Dunno about Harley, by Kai sure does: thoughts become things.

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1911 on: October 16, 2015, 03:05:47 AM »

Just another Joon gimmick...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #1912 on: October 16, 2015, 03:08:43 AM »

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1913 on: October 16, 2015, 03:28:13 AM »
Harley, Does the penal system allow inmates to generate an income by writing about a crime that that inmate committed?

Take SwiFT JUSTICE for instance!

Dear Stuntmovie,
  Every state is different but most do not permit inmates to profit from their stories.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1914 on: October 16, 2015, 03:33:46 AM »

Dear WOOO,
  That's ok.  Sometimes I have no clue as to who I am either.
Harley

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #1915 on: October 16, 2015, 04:16:16 AM »
Dear WOOO,
  That's ok.  Sometimes I have no clue as to who I am either.
Harley

Can you bench press whitewidow or have great acne or get looks from all the girls at 5'5"?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #1916 on: October 16, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »

Perhaps you should find another thread.
Y

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #1917 on: October 16, 2015, 04:35:13 AM »
Wow thank you harley
w

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1918 on: October 16, 2015, 04:57:20 AM »

Can you bench press whitewidow or have great acne or get looks from all the girls at 5'5"?

Dear WOOO,
  I am not the smartest guy here but I am inferring some sort of insult.
  I don't measure myself by my "bench press" (in fact, Craig and I NEVER flat bench with a bar and NEVER will).
  I am also not the best looking guy here but for the record, I am 5'7" and we have already established I am not
a "gimmick."
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1919 on: October 16, 2015, 05:22:53 AM »
I was hoping you weren't going to imply that I was making a moral equivalence with Nazis to what you do. That's why I left out the qualification since I though it was obvious that nobody would do that. I was making the point that just because something is your job and/or you are under orders it doesn't relieve one of the personal responsibilities of that act.

And that is one of the main difference between one who believes they have to answer to a value system outside of themselves with one who only answers and is accountable only to themselves. When a person only has to answer to himself they can always do a little hand waving and justifying as to why they are the exception. I don't trust human nature. And why I don't want people to make their own rules for themselves. One's value system simply becomes situational ethics with a lot of exceptions so that one can feel good about one's self. One may not trust other's nature but they themselves are different. We are always the exception to the rule.

Should that be the goal in one's life? To feel good about yourself? What if you ask did I do a good thing? Did I make the world a better place? Was justice done? If you get a person off for a crime that you just know in your heart he did. If you kill an innocent person because it was your job. Did you do a good thing? Is the world just a little bit better because of it?

It doesn't matter whether or not there is any "malice" in hurting or not hurting anyone. Bertrand Russell remarked in his book, "Unpopular Essays,  “Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false.”

I truly doubt that Pol Pot or Stalin got up every morning and said to themselves, "OK, so how can I make the world an even more miserable place? How can I increase the suffering of people throughout the world?" (And I'm not...sigh, comparing you to Pol Pot or Stalin).

How one feels about what they do is less important than the results and consequences of what they do.

I don't mean to imply in any way that you don't do good in this world. We've all experience injustice and, at least for me, it drives me nuts and I don't want to stand for it, I never forget it and stews in me constantly. I just want to know that when one is called upon to defend the indefensible does one put their humanity on the shelf or compartmentalize. I don't doubt you are at peace with what you do. When one essentially makes their own moral rules and answers only to themselves it's practically inevitable. But is that necessarily a good thing? To always be sure that when all is said and done and the smoke clears that one is positive in their righteousness. Does a bodybuilder after winning the Mr. O look at himself and say that it's done. He's the best. He's perfect. There is nothing more to do. Does a fighter, once he wins the belt; now can stop learning, refining, polishing, advancing? Is one, or should one, ever really be completely at peace?

This is not an attack on your character. It's just an opportunity for me, and all of us, to get a perspective from one who has to live with these moral dilemmas in real life with real life and death consequences, if in fact they are even dilemmas at this point.

Correcting an injustice is a great, great thing you do. A great thing. The injustice and unfairness in this world is the number one thing that gnaws and eats away at me about this world. Why I think God, if he truly is omnipotent, did a bad job and makes me question if he truly is good. Even as a kid I remember the phrase I used most often, "It's not fair!" And the reply was always, "Life isn't fair."

But why?

“In the little world in which children have their existence, whosoever brings them up, there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt as injustice.”
― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations  

Dear Pellius,
     I have far too much respect for your intellect and insight to ever infer that you find no difference between the Nazi camp soldier.  
     One distinction between the Nazi soldier and the criminal defense attorney is that the defense attorney does not have to take "orders."
     I choose which cases to accept and with that, comes the burden of having to practice the "moral relativism" to which CaptainFreedom alludes.
     I am not sure I feel I have to "answer" to the system except for the fact that I can't break a rule.  I certainly have a reputation for fighting the
government and the judges and perhaps getting really close to "the line." but I've never been found to have crossed the line or broken any rule.
     No one truly answers only to himself.  We are all cast into this horrendous play called "life" and the bureaucracy of it all has each and every one
of us answering to someone.  The frustrating aspect is that many times, we are answering to those who are less efficient and less intelligent than
ourselves and this impediment to completing tasks and finding optimum success can prove quite frustrating.  We are all making "excuses" to exclude
ourselves from some acceptable rule, law (obeying the speed limit), societal norm or convention, etc.  Do the justifications make us less noble?  Do they
hurt anyone else?  The many levels of self-defense our egos have internally constructed in order to shield us from " the thousand natural shocks" force
us to excuse ourselves from some of the rules or conventions in order to succumb to our predilections and desires.
   Not only do I not completely trust my own nature but I sure as hell don't trust the nature of others, and that includes the added "security" or "protection"
the State offers me from others whose nature would serve only to harm my own well-being (I have 19,000 rounds of ammunition here at my house).
   No doubt Russell was a genius but it is a bit easy to philosophize from an ivory tower or some podium at Columbia University.  I am not sure he put
any of his concerns, doubts or theories into practice in his own life.  It's one thing to say something should be done on a moral level and yet, it is entirely
another thing to be put into that position of moral incertitude and have to make the "correct" choice.  
  Life really is unfair and whatever injustice I may prevent, here and there, is no excuse for people to take matters into their own hands because they are
"certain" they are correct.  I'm not sure I give it too much thought whether I am right or wrong on these issues.   I prefer to do it and say that at least some
of the proceeds of my actions are helping others, not just my bank.
   I am a terribly flawed human being and no one should adopt my personal moral code.  I have certain weaknesses not all of society would accept so I have
to balance all of that with my own sense of "morality."  I have hurt people (emotionally) and living with that is not always easy.  
   An individual is a democracy of disparate voices.
   I'm doing the best that I can.
Harley

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: Harley Breite appreciation thread
« Reply #1920 on: October 16, 2015, 06:03:02 AM »
Dear Irongrip400,
  Technically, my Dad was a Polish Jew which in Poland, was even lower than the lowest class.
  I never really understood why a bodybuilding site spends so much time discussing and posting homosexual and racist topics
but I support the right to do so as we live in America.
  It has little interest to me as I am not going to change anyone's opinion nor do I even want to try.  Each person should think and
live as he chooses provided he doesn't trample the free living of others.
  If someone were truly interested in Hitler and WWll, I would offer William Shire's "The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich" and Winston Churchill's
"The Gathering Storm" as two of the most incredible and informative books on those subject matters.  They were both spell-binding.  And they even discuss
homosexuality and racism so it should appeal to everyone.
Harley

Don't know why but I started reading the thread and got to this portion and it made me laugh.  Getbig is great.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1921 on: October 17, 2015, 04:32:34 AM »
Well, hopefully, we will always have Herne.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1922 on: October 17, 2015, 05:07:20 AM »

Dear oldschoolfan,
  A couple things in response to your question:
  1)  I personally don't read or invest much time into "self-help" theories BUT that does not mean they are not helpful for many others.
Their sheer popularity alone evinces some benefit that millions appear to acquire from these types of books.  The fact that it helps others
is paramount to any personal views I might have.
  2)  The reason I myself, don't read this genre is I find myself much too complicated (not in a complimentary way) to benefit from
what I feel are watered-down platitudes and self-evident phrases which can apply to virtually everyone on the planet. 
  3)  We are all similar but we are all more dissimilar and that is where the conflict lies.  What ails me may ail you but my remedy may
be quite different than yours.  Much of that has to do with practical situations such as how we live, where we live, with whom we live, etc.
The human brain is far too complex to be given a catch-all prescription fitting everyone on the planet.
  4)  I've mentioned that in my opinion, the only true way to resolving our own inner conflict is to start with introspection.  I mean really hard,
difficult cross examination of how we feel and more importantly, WHY we feel that way.  How do I really feel about myself and why?  Only through
this most difficult personal examination can we begin to find happiness.  The work of peeling back our endless self defense mechanisms to find
our true and honest feelings is extremely difficult and painful.  We may not like all of what we uncover and learn of ourselves but perhaps it is worth
the pain.
Harley

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1923 on: October 17, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
Dear oldschoolfan,
  1)  I personally don't read or invest much time into "self-help" theories BUT that does not mean they are not helpful for many others.
Their sheer popularity alone evinces some benefit that millions appear to acquire from these types of books.  The fact that it helps others
  2)  The reason I myself, don't read this genre is I find myself much too complicated (not in a complimentary way) to benefit from
what I feel are watered-down platitudes and self-evident phrases which can apply to virtually everyone on the planet. 
  3)  We are all similar but we are all more dissimilar and that is where the conflict lies.  What ails me may ail you but my remedy may
be quite different than yours.  Much of that has to do with practical situations such as how we live, where we live, with whom we live, etc.
The human brain is far too complex to be given a catch-all prescription fitting everyone on the planet.
  4)  I've mentioned that in my opinion, the only true way to resolving our own inner conflict is to start with introspection.  I mean really hard,
difficult cross examination of how we feel and more importantly, WHY we feel that way.  How do I really feel about myself and why?  Only through
this most difficult personal examination can we begin to find happiness.  The work of peeling back our endless self defense mechanisms to find
our true and honest feelings is extremely difficult and painful.  We may not like all of what we uncover and learn of ourselves but perhaps it is worth
the pain.
Harley

harley thanks for the response and  your number 4 answer hit the nail right on the head.

im getting ready to take a 6 month trip out of the country   and i will be doing this while i am gone

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1924 on: October 17, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
Dear oldschoolfan,
the pain.
Harley

I asked a lady working at the bookstore where the self help section was.  She just said 'you'll find it'.   ;D

self help books are great tools, but most people think they will do the work for them.   it would be like reading a book on auto body work, and expecting that when you finish the book your car will automatically be straightened, primed and painted.