Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 597021 times)

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #1925 on: October 17, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
I asked a lady working at the bookstore where the self help section was.  She just said 'you'll find it'.   ;D

self help books are great tools, but most people think they will do the work for them.   it would be like reading a book on auto body work, and expecting that when you finish the book your car will automatically be straightened, primed and painted.

Did she really say that?  If so, she is a closet getbigger.  :)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1926 on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Harley, would you defend someone like Daniel Pantaleo?  (if the option came in front of you to do it)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1927 on: October 18, 2015, 08:10:23 AM »
They claim 1600 HP on this 1970 GTO.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1928 on: October 18, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
ha ha that is one big ass blower

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1929 on: October 18, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »
ha ha that is one big ass blower

Girl is riding The Judge

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1930 on: October 19, 2015, 02:44:57 AM »
Harley, would you defend someone like Daniel Pantaleo?  (if the option came in front of you to do it)

Dear Las Vegas,
   I most certainly would represent him but not at any small or even reduced fee.
   I would ask for a Bench Trial (a judge to be both the trier of fact and decider of the law of the case) as opposed
to a Jury Trial.
Harley

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1931 on: October 19, 2015, 06:17:11 AM »
They claim 1600 HP on this 1970 GTO.

How can you see anything while driving?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1932 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:04 AM »
Dear Las Vegas,
   I most certainly would represent him but not at any small or even reduced fee.
   I would ask for a Bench Trial (a judge to be both the trier of fact and decider of the law of the case) as opposed
to a Jury Trial.
Harley

If someone is guilty, or at least the evidence is not in his favor, would it be better to have a Jury Trial?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1933 on: October 19, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
It was business as usual for Daniel Pantaleo.  Pantaleo chose to perform an unacceptable maneuver to CHOKE Eric Garner, a seller of loose cigarettes for quarters, despite the presence of several officers on the scene.  Garner was clearly older and out of shape and he suffered from health problems.  He died as a result of Pantaleo's actions.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1934 on: October 19, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
If someone is guilty, or at least the evidence is not in his favor, would it be better to have a Jury Trial?

IMO, it wouldn't be better for someone like Pantaleo to face a jury.  I'm sure Harley is right.

It's all for nothing, of course, since Pantaleo has been "cleared" and is back on the streets.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #1935 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »

It only goes in a straight line anyway. You don't really need to see much.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1936 on: October 19, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »
Dear Pellius,
     I have far too much respect for your intellect and insight to ever infer that you find no difference between the Nazi camp soldier.  
     One distinction between the Nazi soldier and the criminal defense attorney is that the defense attorney does not have to take "orders."
     I choose which cases to accept and with that, comes the burden of having to practice the "moral relativism" to which CaptainFreedom alludes.
     I am not sure I feel I have to "answer" to the system except for the fact that I can't break a rule.  I certainly have a reputation for fighting the
government and the judges and perhaps getting really close to "the line." but I've never been found to have crossed the line or broken any rule.
     No one truly answers only to himself.  We are all cast into this horrendous play called "life" and the bureaucracy of it all has each and every one
of us answering to someone.  The frustrating aspect is that many times, we are answering to those who are less efficient and less intelligent than
ourselves and this impediment to completing tasks and finding optimum success can prove quite frustrating.  We are all making "excuses" to exclude
ourselves from some acceptable rule, law (obeying the speed limit), societal norm or convention, etc.  Do the justifications make us less noble?  Do they
hurt anyone else?  The many levels of self-defense our egos have internally constructed in order to shield us from " the thousand natural shocks" force
us to excuse ourselves from some of the rules or conventions in order to succumb to our predilections and desires.
   Not only do I not completely trust my own nature but I sure as hell don't trust the nature of others, and that includes the added "security" or "protection"
the State offers me from others whose nature would serve only to harm my own well-being (I have 19,000 rounds of ammunition here at my house).
   No doubt Russell was a genius but it is a bit easy to philosophize from an ivory tower or some podium at Columbia University.  I am not sure he put
any of his concerns, doubts or theories into practice in his own life.  It's one thing to say something should be done on a moral level and yet, it is entirely
another thing to be put into that position of moral incertitude and have to make the "correct" choice.  
  Life really is unfair and whatever injustice I may prevent, here and there, is no excuse for people to take matters into their own hands because they are
"certain" they are correct.  I'm not sure I give it too much thought whether I am right or wrong on these issues.   I prefer to do it and say that at least some
of the proceeds of my actions are helping others, not just my bank.
   I am a terribly flawed human being and no one should adopt my personal moral code.  I have certain weaknesses not all of society would accept so I have
to balance all of that with my own sense of "morality."  I have hurt people (emotionally) and living with that is not always easy.  
   An individual is a democracy of disparate voices.
   I'm doing the best that I can.
Harley

Dear Harley,

Thank you so much for taking so much time in addressing this issue, but again, don't feel obligated to do so as I know it is time consuming and nothing really gets resolved. I just prefer clarity over agreement. Just being clear on one's position and how they came to that position.

In one sense, we have to answer to so many people. You mentioned earlier in this thread that even though you own your business you have many bosses to answer to. But just like the Nazi soldiers, you make the decision if you will listen to them. So at the end of the day when you look at yourself in the mirror it is you that are ultimately responsible for the decisions and actions that you make.

Bertrand Russell may have been an aristocrat but that, in and of itself, does not invalidate his statement. After all, the old adage, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" did not just come out of nowhere.

And  of course in real life we have to take into account the will of the people and society and what they decide what is the law and how it should be enforced as well as those who are put in charge to determine and carry out those laws. But that does not relieve a person from being personally responsible for the actions he carried out. If one follows the law but knowingly gets a murderer off did he do a good thing? Did he do the right thing? You mentioned that you don't give much thought to right and wrong. Do you think it is better not to think in terms of right and wrong but rather just legal and illegal?

Is it enough to say to yourself that you followed the law? A law that society, the majority, has determined is just? What do you say to yourself?

“Atticus, you must be wrong…” said Scout.

“How’s that?”

“Well, most folks seem to think they’re right and you’re wrong…”

“They’re certainly entitled to think that, and they’re entitled to full respect for their opinions,” said Atticus, “but before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”

-- Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1937 on: October 19, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »

Yes, Tu right.  Driver probably aligning self w left wall.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1938 on: October 20, 2015, 04:06:53 AM »
Hey Guys,
  Last night, I walked a new client into the police station as he was on the run for Murder.
  He is just 18 years old and is charged, along with another, with the killing of a 21 year old kid who was closing up a liquor store.
  I believe it is a gang retaliation issue.
  I also represent his twin brother on a gang retaliation stabbing.
  It's all so stupid and so sad and an incredible waste of life and all its rewards.
Harley

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1939 on: October 20, 2015, 09:01:02 AM »
Hey Guys,
  Last night, I walked a new client into the police station as he was on the run for Murder.
  He is just 18 years old and is charged, along with another, with the killing of a 21 year old kid who was closing up a liquor store.
  It's all so stupid and so sad and an incredible waste of life and all its rewards.
Harley
yes such a waste. Really very sad.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1940 on: October 20, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
Are these cases generally the result of protecting drug profits, Harley?   In general, I mean.  Teenagers falling into killing people, only to receive long prison sentences before they are adults.

I'm trying to figure out why even a dumb teen couldn't see what a waste it is.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1941 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
Are these cases generally the result of protecting drug profits, Harley?   In general, I mean.  Teenagers falling into killing people, only to receive long prison sentences before they are adults.

I can understand why they do this easily. You can live in poverty working minimum wage jobs and dealing with all the bullshit that comes with it just to barely get by or you can make thousands a week.

Not all drug dealers wind up in prison for life. I personally know of a drug dealer who became rich and used that money to start up a very successful nutritional company and still in his thirties is set for life.

The problem is the government believes it is their place to tell you what you can do with your own body. In any business there is going to be disputes. And we have courts and a justice system to deal with that.

The problem with the drug business being illegal, like liquor during the time of Prohibition, is that there is no legal avenue you can pursue to address these disputes. You have to enforce the law yourself. And just like the government, it is only with violence or the threat of violence, that these laws are enforced.

MR BIG STUFF

• Getbig II
« Reply #1942 on: October 20, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
Hey Guys,
Harley

That woman should have been sterilized.

Two people still alive.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1943 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »
I can understand why they do this easily. You can live in poverty working minimum wage jobs and dealing with all the bullshit that comes with it just to barely get by or you can make thousands a week.

Not all drug dealers wind up in prison for life. I personally know of a drug dealer who became rich and used that money to start up a very successful nutritional company and still in his thirties is set for life.

The problem is the government believes it is their place to tell you what you can do with your own body. In any business there is going to be disputes. And we have courts and a justice system to deal with that.

The problem with the drug business being illegal, like liquor during the time of Prohibition, is that there is no legal avenue you can pursue to address these disputes. You have to enforce the law yourself. And just like the government, it is only with violence or the threat of violence, that these laws are enforced.

I'm thinking maybe they're battling over sales territory.  Because whatever's causing them to throw themselves away while still teenagers, must be very alluring.  Drug profits are the only thing I can think of.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1944 on: October 20, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »
Harley, just asking about young kids from ghetto, in general.  Not about anyone in particular.  Just want to know your opinion on the problem.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1945 on: October 20, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »
I'm thinking maybe they're battling over sales territory.  Because whatever's causing them to throw themselves away while still teenagers, must be very alluring.  Drug profits are the only thing I can think of.

Of course profits are the only thing. Just like it is for Microsoft or McDonalds. But if I tried to make a mom and pop burger joint and call it McDonals and sell Big Macs they can take me to court. With the drug business all I can do is tell them to knock it off. Some listen, some don't. Those that don't get killed. Maybe they fight back and kill back.

I remember when I was doing volunteer work at the Mar Vista Gardens housing project that was control by a Mexican Gang. A Black gang tried to move in and a war broke out. Shootings and deaths  every week. The Mexicans won. Business as usual. At least until the next one makes a play.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1946 on: October 21, 2015, 03:53:26 AM »

Dear Pellius,
  Your question does not lend itself to a strict answer but my trial strategy is as follows:
  Whenever the case hinges on a legal technicality,  I seek a Judge.  He does NOT want to ignore the law for fear
of reversal by a higher court.
  Whenever I see an emotional advantage or I need to "convince" at least one juror that there is at least one reasonable
doubt, I go with a jury.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1947 on: October 21, 2015, 03:55:56 AM »

Dear Las Vegas,
  These types of cases are very much the result of gang affiliation.  My client's twin brother is charged with stabbing a Dominicans Don't Play (DDP) gang member.
  The State will perhaps learn that my new client, his twin brother, is accused of the murder of a 21 year old guy who just coincidentally happens to be Dominican.
Harley

Simple Simon

« Reply #1948 on: October 21, 2015, 04:10:19 AM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  These types of cases are very much the result of gang affiliation.  My client's twin brother is charged with stabbing a Dominicans Don't Play (DDP) gang member.
  The State will perhaps learn that my new client, his twin brother, is accused of the murder of a 21 year old guy who just coincidentally happens to be Dominican.
Harley
so either one admits to both, both go down or none go down because they cant prove who did either?   ???

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1949 on: October 21, 2015, 04:13:05 AM »
            UPDATE!!!

As some of you might remember, my existence here on GetBig emanates from my responding to an article and photo which was posted about 2 months ago,
entitled "NJ Man Pleads Guilty To Killing Friend With 25 lb. Dumbbell."  The photo, depicting me and my client in court, raised the question "Is that lawyer a
GetBigger?"  I then thought to respond to this ironically funny post and after quite a bit of self defending the "gimmick" accusation, I landed here.
  Well, Esteban Castillo, the defendant who killed his gay lover with the dumbbell was sentenced yesterday but not without some drama.
  The victim's family, continually angered by me and always present in large force wearing t-shirts with the victim's photo, appeared for the Sentencing.
  I began, by saying that my client loved his boyfriend of 7 years.  This immediately caused an outburst of anger directed towards me.  I continued in GetBig fashion.
  Soon, it was the victim's family's turn to speak.  The first person to address the Court was the brother who wore a 1970's 3/4 sleeve jersey with the victim's photo.
He lashed out at everyone and verbally attacked my client.  I objected to the ad homonym attacks and said that I would remove my client from the proceeding if it
continued.  This exacerbated the family's anger.
  Then, the cousin spoke.  He threatened to kill Esteban and then pointed his finger at me and made threats.  I interrupted him and pointed my finger back and warned
him that threatening me could lead to a similar result which he didn't want.
  Subsequent to that, a "former girlfriend" (probably of no lesser poundage than some of the photos guys post here of themselves)claimed to be an "ex-girlfriend" but
offered no reason for the break up.  They remained "friends" which is code to me as how many straight guys sustain a relationship with a former ex girlfriend after years
and subsequent marriage and kids?
  Then the victim's mom came up.  Then all hell broke loose.  She was hysterical and passed out in the courtroom.  The courtroom was evacuated and paramedics were called.
The Press, present and filming, went nuts.  Some 45 minutes later, the Sentencing resumed and upon its conclusion, I was escorted from the courtroom all the way to my car by a Sheriff's Officer.
  Just another day at work.
Harley