Author Topic: If Trump wins GOP nomination, would that be the end of the GOP as we know it?  (Read 10435 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
He's so at odds with what the GOP has claimed to stand for for the last quarter century that I find it hard to believe that the nomination is a lock for him. However, there's no denying that he has a ton of momentum. If he wins the nomination, will this mark a major idealogical shift for the GOP? They've had a bit of a personality crisis  for a while now. For the last few election cycles it seems like they get really excited over anyone who's not business as usual, then just wind up abandoning that person for Boringum McTypicalPolitician.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
they're suddenly realizing they never really felt all that strongly about those positions.

I saw a poll yesterday - 16% of repubs support single payer when told Obama supports it... and 44% of repubs support single payer when told trump supports it.  And that's the least one - the other lib positions trump have were more popular.

It's 2015.  Most people don't know what the fck they stand for these days.  They like trump's attitude and that is what they'll vote for.  Sure, as a 62 year old, he was pro-abortion, anti-gun, pro-obamacare, dem donor and lifetime liberal with 4 wives... but they sure like his sass, so they'd look past that.

Trump sinks in general... 79% of non-white americans give him a negative approval rating.  How does he overcome that?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
He's so at odds with what the GOP has claimed to stand for for the last quarter century that I find it hard to believe that the nomination is a lock for him. However, there's no denying that he has a ton of momentum. If he wins the nomination, will this mark a major idealogical shift for the GOP? They've had a bit of a personality crisis  for a while now. For the last few election cycles it seems like they get really excited over anyone who's not business as usual, then just wind up abandoning that person for Boringum McTypicalPolitician.

So have Democrats.  People don't know what to think in the first place, so all these wtf moments shouldn't be a surprise.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
This is all about anger and less about Trump.....he capitalized on one issue and I don't think people have rerally thought about the rest yet.
L

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
This is all about anger and less about Trump.....he capitalized on one issue and I don't think people have rerally thought about the rest yet.

They believe they can get away without doing that.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
maybe they're worried about straining something

240 is Back

• Getbig V

precisely

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
So have Democrats.  People don't know what to think in the first place, so all these wtf moments shouldn't be a surprise.

But the thing is the  idea of being a Democrat is a lot broader than being a Republican. When you think of a successful Republican candidate there are some pretty rigid descriptions that are going to go along with that. That's not really true of democrats.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

That's my point, though. The party has been operating under the notion that there are a certain set of issues that the all get behind, but like 240 said, maybe they're not so important afterall?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
But the thing is the  idea of being a Democrat is a lot broader than being a Republican. When you think of a successful Republican candidate there are some pretty rigid descriptions that are going to go along with that. That's not really true of democrats.

Is it?  How so?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: If Trump wins GOP nomination, would that be the end of the GOP as we know it?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »
Is it?  How so?

Well, for one, race. 90% of the time a Republican candidate is going to be a white guy- maybe a white woman. Not that there aren't ethnic minorities who are Republicans, but it's notable when that's the case.

Then there are certain issues where you are just dead in the water running as a Repub. A Democrat can be anti-gay marriage. In a local election, in a lot of places, they'd be fine not belonging to an organized religion. They're just as likely to be black or jewish or white or asian or whatever.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: If Trump wins GOP nomination, would that be the end of the GOP as we know it?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 10:18:06 AM »
Well, for one, race. 90% of the time a Republican candidate is going to be a white guy- maybe a white woman. Not that there aren't ethnic minorities who are Republicans, but it's notable when that's the case.

Such a person may have a better shot in that environment, though, right?

Then there are certain issues where you are just dead in the water running as a Repub. A Democrat can be anti-gay marriage. In a local election, in a lot of places, they'd be fine not belonging to an organized religion. They're just as likely to be black or jewish or white or asian or whatever.

Do you think there are more D politicians that are against gay marriage than there are R politicians that aren't opposed to it?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:52 AM »
Such a person may have a better shot in that environment, though, right?

Do you think there are more D politicians that are against gay marriage than there are R politicians that aren't opposed to it?
Oh, I'd say there are far and away more R politicians who were against gay marriage. Why do you ask?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
true - the same folks that like bernie sanders will quickly switch to hilary.   and MOST repubs will move from cruz to trump, no matter how big a gap, from cruz' conservative life, to trump's liberal life.  

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
Oh, I'd say there are far and away more R politicians who were against gay marriage. Why do you ask?

I didn't.  You misread it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
I didn't.  You misread it.

My mistake. There's no way I could even answer that.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »
true - the same folks that like bernie sanders will quickly switch to hilary.   and MOST repubs will move from cruz to trump, no matter how big a gap, from cruz' conservative life, to trump's liberal life.  

Could the Repubs ever go back?  Or is the cat out of the bag after this?

In some ways, this could be a boon for the party.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
My mistake. There's no way I could even answer that.

then why do you think it?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
then why do you think it?

Why do I think what?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
Why do I think what?

that democrats have more flexibility in that regard

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
that democrats have more flexibility in that regard

I didn't say that dems have more flexibility in regards to gay marriage. I said there's no issue on which Dem candidates have to toe the party line or risk being DOA. Dem legislators have a stronger record of gay advocacy, but the current dem president ran on anti-gay marriage platform.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »

Could the Repubs ever go back?  Or is the cat out of the bag after this?

In some ways, this could be a boon for the party.

well, we learn the tea party never really stood for anything.  They ran their crazies in 2010, and did nothing in Congress.  They ran Mitt in 2012, showing they were RINOs at heart.  In 2014, they won big in Senate, and actually pre-neutered their own party on the budget.  Now it's 2016 and they want a democrat on the republican ticket, one who shits all over those who have worked for the republican party their entire lives.  Whether we disagree with walker or jeb or whoever, they've dedicated 20-30 lives to public service, while trump was bribing officials and bankrupting companies.

It's obama fever all over again - this time with the repubs - and the only defense is attacking those who point it out

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »

I didn't say that dems have more flexibility in regards to gay marriage. I said there's no issue on which Dem candidates have to toe the party line or risk being DOA. Dem legislators have a stronger record of gay advocacy, but the current dem president ran on anti-gay marriage platform.

doesn't the one mean the other?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
doesn't the one mean the other?

No. It means that there are make or break issues for Republicans. There aren't any make or break issues for Democrats. I didn't say that gay marriage was a make or break issue for Republicans. That was a hot-button issue for Dems, but it was still divisive within the party.

For Repubs, abortion used to be a make or break issue but that is changing. Gun control is still make or break. Even in a local election, you probably have to be Christian or a member of some faith. Even if you acknowledge you have to raise taxes, you have to phrase it and justify it with convoluted language.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »
No. It means that there are make or break issues for Republicans. There aren't any make or break issues for Democrats. I didn't say that gay marriage was a make or break issue for Republicans. That was a hot-button issue for Dems, but it was still divisive within the party.

For Repubs, abortion used to be a make or break issue but that is changing. Gun control is still make or break. Even in a local election, you probably have to be Christian or a member of some faith.

so how do you figure?