Author Topic: Nobody fucking lifts anymore  (Read 12945 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Nobody fucking lifts anymore
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
You can use a smith machine and a fitness step.
Does the high price keep the idiots out?

There's one Hebrew. He's a trainer. All the b-e-a-n-e-r-s are mopping the floors. You do the math.

NickEdge779

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
You're first problem was joining Equionox. Of course no one lifts there. Its full of beta pussies who just want to "tone." But they don't realize that trying to "tone" doesn't actually do anything, and they get stuck in a rut and forget why they even joined the gym. They are mindless drones.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »
I guess after watching so many guys who are busy blabbing about their lifts ending up in wheelchairs the youth decided its best to use other methods to achieve the same results without much exposure to destroying ones spine, knees, shoulders etc.

dumb. I mean if u have bad form and r an idiot yes. Otherwise no.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Clay gym is nicer than Equinox
w

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
The irony is that there is no better "Core" exercise than barbell squats, as doing them properly, with good posture, requires maintaining a solid core.
I hear ya`  !!  :(

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
The irony is that there is no better "Core" exercise than barbell squats, as doing them properly, with good posture, requires maintaining a solid core.

True to a certain extent but I wouldn't rely on them as my only source of core work.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
$165/mo is a lot for a gym anywhere, yeah.

Ridiculous.  I pay $150 per year. 

Go in with cash and wave it in front of their face... works every time.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
Ridiculous.  I pay $150 per year. 

Go in with cash and wave it in front of their face... works every time.
I was paying $65.00 monthly for the last 12 years.........just joined another gym and I pay $175.00 for the year.

165 bucks a month is just ludicrous.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
I was paying $65.00 monthly for the last 12 years.........just joined another gym and I pay $175.00 for the year.

165 bucks a month is just ludicrous.

Gyms and fitness clubs have gotten a lot cheaper over the last couple years because they're getting squeezed/cannibalized from chains like Planet Fitness.  It's easy to leverage that to your advantage.  A yearly membership at LA Fitness used to cost a LOT more 7-10 years ago.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
LOL. No wonder I've been putting off my "complimentary" 2 free trainings.

So, I've had about six of those complimentary sessions since I can quit/join at will with no initiation fees.

All have been excellent, and they will cater to you if you tell them a bit about yourself.  One trainer told me he researched the should surgery I had so he understood it and designed the workout around it.   I have had four different trainers for these, and they all were fucking strong and in shape - the one girl was about 120lbs, fit, and had no problem picking up the 100lb dumbbells and handing them to me.   They also mixed in DB presses, floor presses, chins, squats, etc with all the other stuff.

But I am also frank with the trainers -  I tell them from the get-go, there is no fucking way I'm ever signing on with them, since their mark up is way too much money, due to equinox.

I get a "discount to $135.  I don't go all the time, but when I know I'm going to be in the office more (work 2-3 days from home normally) it's worth it for the convenience - it's in my building, the showers are insane (you leave with your hair smelling of coconut and your asshole smelling of................wait for it....the GRAPEFRUIT bodywash).

Plus, the ladies are pretty fucking nice looking.

Y

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »

Yep. People always look at me crazy when I say if you want a strong core do squats. Some of the nonsense that trainers these days teach have me shaking my head

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
1. It's not that much. $165/month
2. They have nice showers
3. It's close to work

My commute is such that if I didn't take this route, I wouldn't realistically be able to train. So there you go.

Was there an initiation fee?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2015, 03:29:29 AM »
Was there an initiation fee?

Yeah, but they waived it. I think it was $300.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:15 AM »
A little off topic, but the other day I was lifting in my home gym and I suddenly had a realisation:

I am bored with lifting weights.

No, seriously, it is the most boring hour of my life now.

Disco187

• Getbig IV
  • "Fuck Ordinary"
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »
 I couldnt agree more, im 36 years old and i remeber being at gyms in my younger 20s watching guys in there 30's throwing around 315 incline bench, big squats etc, now i have yet to see any of that anymore and i have lived in chicago philadelphia and multiple places in new jersey and joined multiple gyms,

also the trainers today are so thin and they spend all there time with those big bouncey balls and doing core exercises and odd training methods, like every one today is trying to be so creative.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
Droves of people go to the gym, but very few lifts weights these days.

Everyone is getting ready for a tough mudder or 1/2 marathon.   Or they're training at some faddish crossfit or mma gym in a banemask.

Every "gym" is the same and since today is "International Chest Day" there won't be bench or 45 plate to be found when I arrive for hours.

Dbs from 5lbs to 35lbs are scattered all over the place.  

Dbs from 40lbs to 85lbs are either broken or being pressed for 3 brutal reps (worldwide).  

Dbs from 90lbs to 150lbs are collecting dust.  

Squat racks are deserted except for the guy doing chins. 

I haven't seen a bent over row or deadlift performed by anyone else in 3 years.  

Half the machines are broken yet are crap when in working order.

All the cable stations are taken by dozens of scowling guys and women in sports bras.

The pushdown station always has one broken spot on it.  

Mixed handpieces litter the floor around cable machines.

Half the gym floor is covered in newer, garbage machines that only 5% of people use.

There are two smith machines and one is always broken (or about to break).

There are always two guys grunting in a corner on a makeshift t-bar row.

Everywhere you look some dude is feeling himself up between his pecs.

Every leg press always has 4 plates on it whether in use or not.  

Two guys grunting in tanktops are always using the standing calf raise machine like a pogostick.

The same milfs with overtly revealing gym attire and caked on makeup are always performing endless sets of leg extensions and lying leg curls with 10 pounds.

There's always one 60 yr old burnout with military tats and a headband randomly and furiously shadow boxing.

Every gym owns only one pair of barbell clips and one of the pair is bent.

Weight stack pins are always missing or pulled from the wrong machine and never returned.

65lb dbs are always racked where the 30lb dbs are supposed to go.  

Further 50lb dbs and 60lbs dbs are always mixed with each other (the pair never side by side).

One side of every cable station has one cable missing a clip to fasten a handle....always.

There are leg exercises other than leg extensions.

Every guy feels awesome after putting 2 plates on either side of the decline hammer strength press for 8 reps.....that's 180lbs folks....nothing.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »

Everyone is getting ready for a tough mudder or 1/2 marathon.   Or they're training at some faddish crossfit or mma gym in a banemask.

Every "gym" is the same and since today is "International Chest Day" there won't be bench or 45 plate to be found when I arrive for hours.

Dbs from 40lbs to 85lbs are either broken or being pressed for 3 brutal reps (worldwide).  

All the cable stations are taken by dozens of scowling guys and women in sports bras.

Half the gym floor is covered in newer, garbage machines that only 5% of people use.

Two guys grunting in tanktops are always using the standing calf raise machine like a pogostick.

The same milfs with overtly revealing gym attire and caked on makeup are always performing endless sets of leg extensions and lying leg curls with 10 pounds.

There's always one 60 yr old burnout with military tats and a headband randomly and furiously shadow boxing.

Weight stack pins are always missing or pulled from the wrong machine and never returned.

Further 50lb dbs and 60lbs dbs are always mixed with each other (the pair never side by side).

One side of every cable station has one cable missing a clip to fasten a handle....always.

Every guy feels awesome after putting 2 plates on either side of the decline hammer strength press for 8 reps.....that's 180lbs folks....nothing.

TL:DR:FY
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Disco187

• Getbig IV
  • "Fuck Ordinary"
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »

ow man is that sooooooooooo true!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »
Responses in blue.

Everyone is getting ready for a tough mudder or 1/2 marathon.   Or they're training at some faddish crossfit or mma gym in a banemask.  I train for TMs and incorporate the big 3 lifts routinely.

Every "gym" is the same and since today is "International Chest Day" there won't be bench or 45 plate to be found when I arrive for hours.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Dbs from 5lbs to 35lbs are scattered all over the place.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Dbs from 40lbs to 85lbs are either broken or being pressed for 3 brutal reps (worldwide). Your gym sucks, apparently

Dbs from 90lbs to 150lbs are collecting dust.   Your gym sucks, apparently

Squat racks are deserted except for the guy doing chins. This should benefit you

I haven't seen a bent over row or deadlift performed by anyone else in 3 years.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Half the machines are broken yet are crap when in working order.Your gym sucks, apparently

All the cable stations are taken by dozens of scowling guys and women in sports bras.Your gym sucks, apparently

The pushdown station always has one broken spot on it.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Mixed handpieces litter the floor around cable machines.Your gym sucks, apparently

Half the gym floor is covered in newer, garbage machines that only 5% of people use.Your gym sucks, apparently

There are two smith machines and one is always broken (or about to break). If they both were broken, your gym would improve

There are always two guys grunting in a corner on a makeshift t-bar row.  Pick a gym that doesn't cater to the gays

Everywhere you look some dude is feeling himself up between his pecs.Pick a gym that doesn't cater to the gays

Every leg press always has 4 plates on it whether in use or not.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Two guys grunting in tanktops are always using the standing calf raise machine like a pogostick. Pick a gym that doesn't cater to the gays

The same milfs with overtly revealing gym attire and caked on makeup are always performing endless sets of leg extensions and lying leg curls with 10 pounds.  What's the problem here?

There's always one 60 yr old burnout with military tats and a headband randomly and furiously shadow boxing. This is unavoidable

Every gym owns only one pair of barbell clips and one of the pair is bent.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Weight stack pins are always missing or pulled from the wrong machine and never returned. Your gym sucks, apparently

65lb dbs are always racked where the 30lb dbs are supposed to go.  Your gym sucks, apparently

Further 50lb dbs and 60lbs dbs are always mixed with each other (the pair never side by side). Your gym sucks, apparently

One side of every cable station has one cable missing a clip to fasten a handle....always. Your gym sucks, apparently

There are leg exercises other than leg extensions.  Agreed

Every guy feels awesome after putting 2 plates on either side of the decline hammer strength press for 8 reps.....that's 180lbs folks....nothing.  Appropriate weught is all relative to the user

Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

LOL at the hair piece comment

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »

MOS, are you and this gym done?!?!?!?!?!
X

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
Hardcore Gyms A Thing Of The Past

by Tim Wescott aka Wes

Where did the hardcore gyms go? Most people in gyms today don't have a clue what they are trying to accomplish. Follow my rant as I load this up with sarcasm, and if you are one of those with no idea then start learning and train harder!

I'm about to say quite a bit about the sad state of affairs in most gyms today, and I know I will offend some people, but... too bad! It makes me sad to see the gyms of today, and their participants, wandering around aimlessly from fancy machine, to fancy machine, in quest of something most of them don't know how to find.

I'm talking about learning how to achieve results, with their meager half-hearted efforts. Most of the people in gyms today don't have a clue why they are there, or what they are trying to accomplish. Sure, Mary might want to lose some weight, but she usually doesn't have a clue as to how to go about it. I know this may sound harsh to some, but back in the day, newbies in the gym learned a lot from bodybuilders and more experienced lifters.

Gyms back in the seventies and eighties, were really gyms, and not fluffy, frilly, "Fitness Centers," trying to pass themselves off as gyms."

Bodybuilders and powerlifters are actually frowned upon these days in most gyms. It's a shame because these people should be used as inspiration, and watching them train could benefit a lot of people.

As far as giving them a clue as to what intensity level is required to actually get results from their training... Gyms back in the seventies and eighties, were really gyms, and not fluffy, frilly, "Fitness Centers," trying to pass themselves off as gyms. People worked together in pursuit of their goals, and learned from each other.

Today's gyms, and I use the term loosely, are too caught up in making money, and could care less about their clients progress, or lack of progress, as is usually the case. There's too many people that don't have clear-cut goals, and know nothing about training, even though there are "personal trainers" at most gyms.
Personal Trainers

The sad part is a lot of the personal trainers I've seen know very little themselves, and most look like they can't get out of their own way. If you are going to train people, at least look like you train a little yourself. I call these half-assed personal trainers, "professional rep counters," as that's about all they are doing that is correct, in their approach to training clients.

Another thing I find ridiculous today is fad fitness items. Swiss Balls, rubber tubing, medicine balls, and TV sets, are a bunch of junk, that should be kept out of a serious gym. Do you really believe that doing crunches on a big blue ball, is any better than doing them on a floor, or a bench?

Stabilizers come into play more with the Swiss Balls some would say. Stabilizers also come into play when squatting like an animal for 20 reps, with a heavy weight, but that's too much like work. I guess I'm just "old fashioned," but give me a gym full of sweaty, hard working animals, who are hungry to grow, and make progress, any day.

Today if you lift anything remotely heavy, or make the slightest grunt while squeezing out a hard rep, you get asked to tone down the noise. Don't even think of chalking your hands, you might get some on the spotless floor. What do these people think a vacuum cleaner was invented for?
Hardcore Gyms

I've trained at 4 hardcore gyms, at different times, for years, places where you made progress, and other people in the gym were genuinely concerned about you making that progress. It was no-holds barred, all for the betterment of the guys working out. If you didn't train your ass off, you were considered a wimp.

Sadly, it is getting increasingly harder to find a good ol' sweatshop type of gym, where results are demanded. Today I see people come to the gym religiously, every day, only to talk, roam around, use the same weight forever, usually one plate on some contraption, for months at a time, gab on their cell phones, or some other practice that has nothing to do with staying focused on their training. These same people wonder why they do not make progress.

Ask a typical trainee in today's gym why he or she does a particular exercise, and what part of the body that exercise is for, and they look at you like you asked them for their wallet.

I think if you're going to workout, then you should at least have a basic understanding of the exercises, and body parts they work. Maybe even sweating a little once in a while would be productive. I really miss the "old school" gyms, and the animals that inhabited them. You can take this rant with "tongue in cheek," but I won't. Train Hard!
Conclusion

I obviously (I hope), meant this article to be taken with a healthy dose of sarcasm, but I hope I opened people's eyes to the fact that they should ask questions at the gym (not while someone is training), and do a little research, before beginning their program. Learn about what you are doing, and you'll do it better.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:57 PM »
Hardcore Gyms A Thing Of The Past

by Tim Wescott aka Wes

I guess I'm just "old fashioned," but give me a gym full of sweaty, hard working animals, who are hungry to grow, and make progress, any day.

Friday August 21st.

Adductor Machine:
3 X 8-20

Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2015, 05:12:03 AM »
I still lift, just smarter about it.