Author Topic: My next challenge  (Read 8012 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: My next challenge
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
Do you ever stop and reflect on your lifetime achievements and realize that you are a pathetic failure.

Haha, I expose myself completely and you hide behind a gimmick and I'm the failure. Hahahahahahahahahhahahha hahahahhaah.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 09:05:06 PM »
We expect a pushback from certain parents and we pretty much know who they will be. But these are also the same parents who complain that the team isn't winning, they suck blah, blah, blah. But if they're not apart of the solution they'll be part of the problem. If they don't want to lose they shouldn't complain because their kid has to show up early.

so would you really give a kid a B instead of an A... if he fails to show up for required 5am practice?

IMO, you're gonna have to back down when they do.  Then the rest of the students on that team will say "why doesn't johnny have to show up?  He's getting the same 'A' that I am, and he doesn't have to get up early?

I don't think you can knock down the grades.  You can label them "part of the problem" and enjoy the symbolic victory, but you're messing with their college admissions here.  I don't think you can dock grades.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
so would you really give a kid a B instead of an A... if he fails to show up for required 5am practice?

IMO, you're gonna have to back down when they do.  Then the rest of the students on that team will say "why doesn't johnny have to show up?  He's getting the same 'A' that I am, and he doesn't have to get up early?

I don't think you can knock down the grades.  You can label them "part of the problem" and enjoy the symbolic victory, but you're messing with their college admissions here.  I don't think you can dock grades.

I'm not handing out the grades the head coach is. I'm the strength and conditioning coach but since I'm with them more than the head coach it's my programming call. He agreed to it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
Sweet.  make them work.  if the team is that poor on their win/loss record, it's likely such a funk of depression and lack of self-esteem.  When will they start seeing results?  Spring football or fall 2016?

I'm not handing out the grades the head coach is. I'm the strength and conditioning coach but since I'm with them more than the head coach it's my programming call. He agreed to it.

Well. 1. I'm making it part of their grade and its mandatory.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »
I can't speak for weak minded kids today but I loved early morning practices years ago... Discipline is sorely lacking from most people's lives.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
Wait until your kid is in HS. There's no such thing as "outside of school hours" when he picks the sport of his choice. Water polo is in before football at 5am. So my next question is how well versed are you in school district policy? In California?

Yes, water polo is early... Some sports are early, but they aren't graded on those sports.

These are extra curricular activities. They are not required subjects. You don't just grade kids because they can throw a football or whatever.

I have no problem with the requirement that to participate in the sport you have to show up when a coach says so, but to grade them?

That is quite unheard of.

I played more than a couple of varsity sports, but I never got graded on them.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
I can't speak for weak minded kids today but I loved early morning practices years ago... Discipline is sorely lacking from most people's lives.

I couldn't agree more. Like I said this team hasn't won a league game in 13 seasons with an average record of 1-9. This change is needed.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
I couldn't agree more. Like I said this team hasn't won a league game in 13 seasons with an average record of 1-9. This change is needed.

Anyone who says it isn't about winning makes me insane. Of course it's about winning.

Trying your best.

Having fun.

Good sport.

All that shit is loser talk that prepares kids to be failures as adults. I'm not suggesting that they don't have their place in winning... But winning needs to be the core focus of the activity.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Yes, water polo is early... Some sports are early, but they aren't graded on those sports.

These are extra curricular activities. They are not required subjects. You don't just grade kids because they can throw a football or whatever.

I have no problem with the requirement that to participate in the sport you have to show up when a coach says so, but to grade them?

That is quite unheard of.

I played more than a couple of varsity sports, but I never got graded on them.

Well, if you choose to play that sport (like football) it's a sixth period class (or 5th if that student has a zero period).

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »
Well, if you choose to play that sport (like football) it's a sixth period class (or 5th if that student has a zero period).

Things have certainly changed since I was a kid.

To play football we all had to stay after when the last bell rang and go to practice. Same with wrestling and Soccer. All after school.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »

Anyone who says it isn't about winning makes me insane. Of course it's about winning.

Trying your best.

Having fun.

Good sport.

All that shit is loser talk that prepares kids to be failures as adults. I'm not suggesting that they don't have their place in winning... But winning needs to be the core focus of the activity.

Anything before sophomore year IMO is considered developmental unless the kid gets brought up to varsity. But yeah, In high school it's not about about fun anymore especially when the athlete enters his Jr. Year where he/she starts getting looks from colleges. At that point it's ALL about winning.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
We expect a pushback from certain parents and we pretty much know who they will be. But these are also the same parents who complain that the team isn't winning, they suck blah, blah, blah. But if they're not apart of the solution they'll be part of the problem. If they don't want to lose they shouldn't complain because their kid has to show up early.

Stop feeding your personal troll.....one delusional parent wont take away all of your credibility.......you and your work ethic should be respected!

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »
Haha, I expose myself completely and you hide behind a gimmick and I'm the failure. Hahahahahahahahahhahahha hahahahhaah.
You expose yourself as being completely full of shit.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 03:53:15 AM »
So the parents have to wake up early to drive their non driving kid to practice then go to work?

I live in Jersey. Never heard of a kid getting an academic grade for participating in a sport.  California is the fruit and nuts capital.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 04:03:54 AM »
I made it mandatory for my team to show up at the field 5:30am. Already getting a bunch on whiners. Hahaha.

Would be awesome if no one shows up one day..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 05:57:07 AM »

Won't happen. Good way to pick the starters though

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »

32 this morning.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 08:16:15 AM »
Always fun to see a manlet try to hurt others. And funnier to see that he obviously is poorly educated and should have known this was a horrible idea from a performance standpoint. I've looked especially for a source that does not use big words. Try reading all of it. http://sleepcenter.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=63

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
No wonder china and india are kicking our asses in education, kids get up at 5:30am to run around cones instead of reviewing their home work to make sure they get and A for the last nights assignment

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
It's always been a part of their grade. Worth 2.5 instead of 5.

Varsity sports always counted toward my phys ed grade and why shouldn't it? A well run 2 hour hockey/football practice is more beneficial than 45 minutes of gym class badminton.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
Always fun to see a manlet try to hurt others. And funnier to see that he obviously is poorly educated and should have known this was a horrible idea from a performance standpoint. I've looked especially for a source that does not use big words. Try reading all of it. http://sleepcenter.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=63

Thanks for that.....now go away.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
Varsity sports always counted toward my phys ed grade and why shouldn't it? A well run 2 hour hockey/football practice is more beneficial than 45 minutes of gym class badminton.

It is.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
No wonder china and india are kicking our asses in education, kids get up at 5:30am to run around cones instead of reviewing their home work to make sure they get and A for the last nights assignment

The problem was last years schedule everything was done after school (their 6th period) from 2:30 to about 6:00 then as the season drew closer it went until 7 into the season, weight training, conditioning and practice were concurrent, by the time they got home they were dead and falling asleep while trying to finish homework, study, etc.

This schedule is practical in the sense that weight room and field work is all done in the morning and until actual football practice starts, they're home early, eat, a couple of hours of HW and in bed by 9pm or so. Once they get used to it, it's a much easier schedule and more productive all the way around.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »

Funny how UCLA and USC as with most colleges run their programs in the morning. Next time you decide open your pie hole, think first.

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Funny how UCLA and USC as with most colleges run their programs in the morning. Next time you decide open your pie hole, think first.
So, your ground breaking 5 o'clock deal is just another idea you ripped off from real coaches?