Author Topic: Yelling!  (Read 7633 times)

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Yelling!
« on: March 13, 2006, 01:12:30 PM »
Why do most if you all scream when lifting in the gym?  Get over yourselves.  You look stupid.  These people scream lifting 225, all they want is attention.  It does not make you lift more.  Stop it!! 
you are gay.

MartiniMan

• Getbig II
Re: Yelling!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:21:51 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more!

I completely understand letting out a little "verbal steam" when you are pushing for that last rep or two, or when maxing out and need everything you've got, but my personal "pet peeve" in the gym are these couple of guys who scream over every damn little thing they do.

Come on, during a 15 rep set, there is NO REASON to scream during all 15 reps.  If you need to scream during the first rep of a 15 rep set, there is something seriously wrong with your mental approach to lifting weights, or your need to attract attention.   

Again, don't get me wrong, when I see some guy squatting a pile of plates for his last working set, and he grunts out the last two or three, I definately respect his intensity - many miss out on that important part of a great workout.  But seriously, no one wants to hear you scream during all 15 reps of your massive 30 lb. dumbell curls!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »
Silence is golden when lifting. Grunting and an ocasional moan, suggesting pain, can be considered normal and is OK, while four letter words are allowed from time to time.  Confirming your religious beliefs with a Jesus, Jesus Christ, Jesus F. Christ, Sweet Jesus, God, etc  can have it's place. Yelling at the top of one's lungs is something a drama queen would do. The real girly men who handle light or moderate weight in the gym will do this. I've known top women BB'er's & PL'ers who would never consider yelling at all when working heavy. Come to think of it, some of those women have a better work attitude than a lot of men I've seen. Good Luck.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:54:44 AM »
I psyche myself up Ronnie style by yelling "Light Weight, yeah baby!" before unracking 315 and doing 6 front shrugs. I also grunt louudly between each rep.

Monster attitude.
young niggah greedy

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »
I scream as loud as i fucking want! RAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! >:(

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 12:28:19 PM »
Shouting, if it matches the intensity, makes total sense. Only when it's not consistent with the intensity does it look strange, otherwise bring it on!

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
Hoo-ah!
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »
Someone needs to add in:

There is NO SCREAMING allowed on Curls, Tricep Pressowns or Ab crunches  ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »
I don't know what kinda curls or pushdowns you're doing, if you're serious I expect some noise!

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 07:50:11 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more! I completely understand letting out a little "verbal steam" when you are pushing for that last rep or two, or when maxing out and need everything you've got, but my personal "pet peeve" in the gym are these couple of guys who scream over every damn little thing they do.But seriously, no one wants to hear you scream during all 15 reps of your massive 30 lb. dumbell curls!

The real girly men who handle light or moderate weight in the gym will do this. I've known top women BB'er's & PL'ers who would never consider yelling at all when working heavy. Come to think of it, some of those women have a better work attitude than a lot of men I've seen. Good Luck.

Last few presses-- bring it on! But, yep, for me at least ----mum's the word! ;D

Besides, the adjacent main aerobics area is so noisy -- and I train with headphones blaring "Born to Run" on -- so there's no way I could hear a grunt...even if I wanted to. LOL.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:32:22 PM »
Silence is golden when lifting. Grunting and an ocasional moan, suggesting pain, can be considered normal and is OK, while four letter words are allowed from time to time.  Confirming your religious beliefs with a Jesus, Jesus Christ, Jesus F. Christ, Sweet Jesus, God, etc  can have it's place. Yelling at the top of one's lungs is something a drama queen would do. The real girly men who handle light or moderate weight in the gym will do this. I've known top women BB'er's & PL'ers who would never consider yelling at all when working heavy. Come to think of it, some of those women have a better work attitude than a lot of men I've seen. Good Luck.

Well, you can't really use female bb'ers or pl'ers as an example, JPM.  Men and women pro's aren't exactly apples to oranges in this day in age, considering certain oral and injectible chemicals.   ;)

Buzz363

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 04:54:41 PM »
I run on the treadmill with my walkman blaring " Run with the Marine Corp". I sing along as I go..

" Pain (pain) in my thigh..Pain (pain) in my leg
  Pain (pain) feels good.."

People will stop and stare, obviously awed by my intensity and will respectfully not run beside me, or within a ten foot radius.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 05:29:50 PM »
"It has to be quiet, like in a church" -arnold schwarzenegger

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »
Well, you can't really use female bb'ers or pl'ers as an example, JPM.  Men and women pro's aren't exactly apples to oranges in this day in age

hahahahahahahahah

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 07:39:04 PM »
People will stop and stare, obviously awed by my intensity

Oh yes-- obviously that's why   ;D

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »
At Planet Fitness they kick you out and cancel your membership if you yell, grunt, or drop weights.  We're the "Judgement Free Zone."  Yeah right, only people we judge are bodybuilders.
The General

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
At Planet Fitness they kick you out and cancel your membership if you yell, grunt, or drop weights.  We're the "Judgement Free Zone."  Yeah right, only people we judge are bodybuilders.

yeap, even a golds out here in palm springs they kick you out for that..

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 09:43:07 PM »
Sorry Ledd, would you mind rephasing your post again. I'm trying to reconfig a older Linux system and mental numbness (normal for me) has set in. Would that be apples and oranges?  I regret that I'm missing your point.

Speaking of fruit, God speed to you Pumpster and your pursuit of emotional balance and inner happiness. Good Luck.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 12:36:51 AM »
Speaking of fruit, God speed to you Pumpster and your pursuit of emotional balance and inner happiness. Good Luck.

Pure ownage.
young niggah greedy

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 05:08:18 AM »
LOL try the certified JPM Pussy Workout-white gloves, well-behaved with no groaning or noise of any kind, forget sweating. All because, according to this "sage" you're not supposed to go to failure.. ;D ::)

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »
Actually screaming while lifting is stupid.  Breathing properly is key.  It gives your muscles oxygen and is very benefitual.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 01:55:42 PM »
Agree with R-Ranger, screaming like Michael Jackson during a little boy's birthday party at Neverland is rather uncool. If you really were mentally focused on a  execise, all the energy (hopefully 100%) would be on that exercise and controled breathing and not on how loud a femine sound you could produce. Or trying to make other people think you were really working out hard by yelling is just pretending that you know how to workout. Girly men (thank's Arnold) shouldn't have to act like girly men during a hard workout. Might want to act a little masculine, at least in a gym. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »
Let's see-recently JPM's told us in various posts that he happens to know better than various famous bodybuilders re: technique and exercise. Then he goes on to inform us that going to failure or making any of those rude noises serious builders make from time to time in going to failure aren't acceptible.

All the while my own experiences are totally consistent with the builders who know more than JPM.

Thank GOD for a know-all like JPM to set us straight.. ::)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 03:07:12 PM »
Please feel free to read any of my past post..they are in English Pumpster. I understand that English is a challenge for you so maybe your nurse can explain things in a slow easy manner. The nurse might have to draw stick figures or use hand puppets ( I heard you like the little puppy dog one's the best) to help you understand things but I guess that's all part of the healing process to help you back from that mental disfunction that has overcome you. God bless you and good luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 04:27:35 PM »
JPM doesn't comprehend the english language sufficiently to understand what a run-on sentence & paragraph are, thus all his comments are incoherent, as in a lot of hot air.

Did I mention boring? Almost always equal parts inaccuracy and plagerism of comments already made by others and re-fried/buried within another long JPM treaties.

Guess what-a lot of the pros say what i've found to be true-JPM" claims to know better. Sure buddy!