Author Topic: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?  (Read 26072 times)

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
if you hustle hgh/aas you can make good buck while personal training. :)

Many trainers are just a front to their drug dealing business. That's why you always see them at the gym, not doing much.
?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »
I've been told that this is a dumb long term  career choice although I do get clients easily.  The thing is my parents offered to help me out  so I want to take advantage of it while I can, I'm 23...not too old to turn my life around but by the time Im 25 I will be. I would like a respectable career by the time I'm 25-26..or at least on my way  to one.  My parents do quite well but I have a huge issue with asking them for money.

Right now  All I do is pretty much travel  and workout. Hey I can't complain, the problem is when people ask "what do you do?"  I just don't get any satisfaction telling people Im a personal trainer while all my friends are becoming doctors, lawyers, joining the military, etc. I feel like it also effects my relationships with the women I date, not so much in the beginning but as time goes on the  lack of depth in my life is obvious.

Should I go back to school and get a degree or would I be better off learning a trade at this point?  Im open to any suggestions. I like manual labor type shit......Ive toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated

In a way, you've answered your own question. From what you've posted, status and making good money are important to you.

Honestly, you are still a kid at 23 or even 25 years of age. Go to school get a degree in something that meets your needs and hopefully lands you a good job. Once you do that, if you want to fart around being a lineman or a personal trainer you can do it without having to feel bad about it.

Ever heard the old saying, "Do what you love and the money will follow."  Even if it doesn't you'll still be doing something you enjoy.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2016, 03:59:25 PM »
Serious advice: apprentice as a electrician or a plumber. Those fucking guys make bank.

Add, when they work. Working is the trades is not always steady work. It can be feast or famine for trades people.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »
Add, when they work. Working is the trades is not always steady work. It can be feast or famine for trades people.

Whenever I call a plumber or an electrician, he's booked into the next century.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »

Problem is they make shit money per hour, so they have to work 14 hour days.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2016, 04:08:38 PM »

Not really, they do quite well around here. And don't forget who we are talking about here, it's not like Flint's gonna get $150/hour to solve complex engineering problems.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »

This is true right now because there is a housing shortage. Builders cannot keep up with the demand. People are fixing up the homes they already have, which also puts trades people to work. I was quoted $70,000 to remodel my kitchen. Builders and contractors can charge whatever they want and still get plenty of work.

Throughout history though, working in the trades (especially if you are a contractor or working for one) has its boom times and its bust times too. My stepdad was a contractor, when the work was plentiful, he made tons of money. When the work wasn't there, he barely got by.

This being said, if you are ambitious enough, you'll likely do okay or much better than okay. You have to be a self-starter. If you are inclined to wait around for work to come your way, you'll not get much work.  

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »
just get a job stripin' on the side. The women love the whole "carpenter/construction guy" gimmick, never gets old.
?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »

What to you call shit money?

"Master Plumber Salary - Pay Scale
www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Master_Plumber/Hourly_Rate

At career start (within the first five years), average income sits near $49K, and the average for folks who have worked for five to 10 years is only slightly higher at $51K. Master Plumbers see a median salary of $54K after reaching one to two decades on the job."

While this isn't big money, it's a decent income. I believe these are the figures in 2012. They are likely somewhat higher today.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2016, 04:21:08 PM »
just get a job stripin' on the side. The women love the whole "carpenter/construction guy" gimmick, never gets old.

Oh yeah, like there is big money in doing that.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2016, 04:29:21 PM »
I didn't read any replies, but it comes down to salesmanship--period.  Stick a used car salesman on a gym floor, and he'll probably have more clients after a week than all the other trainers.  Ask yourself honestly, am I a good salesman?  If you're not sure, don't bother in my opinion.

The job has its perks, no doubt, but it's generally a tough living.  No paid time off, no sick days, scanty benefits.  Get the flu and cant train for a week?   Hope you have some reserve cash saved up.

I did it for 2 years, had fun and learned a lot about myself but ultimately found it to be a dead-end job and left it for a career offering more financial stability.

Some people absolutely make it work for them, but they are few and far in between in my experience.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »
Absolute shit career choice which makes it perfect for the OP

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
More lies. Your website lists 8 1 on 1 sessions for $320, so $40 per session. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that sessions are 30 min, I'm sure no human being could stomach your presence for more than 1/2 hour, so that's $80 per hour. Now, after costs, a plumber makes more than you, as he should.

I don't know what site you're looking at but we don't offer 1/2 hour sessions and most of our general clientele sessions are small group training of 2-4 and one on one. We don't offer an hourly rate but rather a monthly package. But if you break down the small group training, we usually run 12-15 clients at a time split between 2-3 trainers. Most of general clientele choose 3 days per week. It actually averages out to about around $450hr give or take. That doesn't include our athletes program, pro day/NFL combine prep and our speed development.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2016, 05:44:13 PM »
This is true right now because there is a housing shortage. Builders cannot keep up with the demand. People are fixing up the homes they already have, which also puts trades people to work. I was quoted $70,000 to remodel my kitchen. Builders and contractors can charge whatever they want and still get plenty of work.

Throughout history though, working in the trades (especially if you are a contractor or working for one) has its boom times and its bust times too. My stepdad was a contractor, when the work was plentiful, he made tons of money. When the work wasn't there, he barely got by.

In my neck of the woods, there's a lot of repair and emergency work (Leaks & Stoppages) for Plumbers. I can't walk two block without seeing a Plumbing truck in front of a building.

kevinf

• Getbig III
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
damn you been 23 for the past 4 years J.  ;)

Bulgarian_enforcer

• Getbig III
  • Kill em all...
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2016, 06:59:10 PM »
Many trainers are just a front to their drug dealing business. That's why you always see them at the gym, not doing much.

Yeah,its good money.grapefruit fucking videos are alternative way of income for aspiring trainers depending on moral standards. :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
What to you call shit money?

"Master Plumber Salary - Pay Scale
www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Master_Plumber/Hourly_Rate

At career start (within the first five years), average income sits near $49K, and the average for folks who have worked for five to 10 years is only slightly higher at $51K. Master Plumbers see a median salary of $54K after reaching one to two decades on the job."

While this isn't big money, it's a decent income. I believe these are the figures in 2012. They are likely somewhat higher today.

Two things are wrong with sites that quote career earnings. One is that it depends on the state. What a plumber makes in New Jersey/New York is different from one in Kansas. An example of this can be something like a pharmacist. In NJ the base for retail is about 120K and maybe 150K with overtime. The same job in something like Wisconsin is about 80K. Second, most trades that work in residential houses don't report a lot of income to the IRS. Many give one price for cash and another price for traceable payments.

Two of my friends are journey men for an electrician union. Both made over 100K.  A license to become an  electrician is very hard to get in NJ.  The test is so hard very few pass but the ones that do can make a fortune opening up a company that employs workers who technically work under the direction of the boss with the license.  An electric contractor can have many workers under the one license who are not licensed electricians as long as they are supervised.   Supervision isn't being on the job physically.   

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »
I did it for years many years
I loved it
I would make close to 2000 every 2 weeks
I worked 6 days a week from morning to late night

Hard to budget when you make diff pay each time
Clients cancel get sick go on vacation u don't get paid

U don't hustle
U don't sell yourself
U don't make money

You're in survival mode
w

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »

If you work for the electricians union, you can make around $60.00 an hour for top pay.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »
Flinestone, I feel like I am talking to a 14 year old about life. How old are you? Seriously.

Find a career, not a job, that you love and you can make a good living doing. Obviously, the "good living" varies depending on your lifestyle. But, for your sake, lets just say a career that you can support yourself on and be relatively happy. I'm shooting low here.

It's not really "rocket science." Well, maybe for you it is.  :-\ :-\
X

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:21 PM »

Not if they speak english.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »
Lol at Coach trying so hard to convince us he's making tons of money.

You come off as the least intelligent poster on this place (and that says a lot!). I really doubt you're making as much as you claim. But honestly, I don't really care and I hope you're doing fine. But you're acting like Goodrum when he tries to convince us he's doing great. :\

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »
Lol at Coach trying so hard to convince us he's making tons of money.

You come off as the least intelligent poster on this place (and that says a lot!). I really doubt you're making as much as you claim. But honestly, I don't really care and I hope you're doing fine. But you're acting like Goodrum when he tries to convince us he's doing great. :\

I couldn't careless what you think. Not trying to convince anyone of what I make. You morons put blanket statement out how "personal trainers" are portrayed and that more money is made in the trades, I'll make that comparison all day long. Don't hate because I created a decent business of it. I don't need to convince anyone. I'm 53 and on track to retire (if i want) within 5 years. But since I don't believe in retirement it really doesn't matter.

The problem is most (like 99% of the people on this board) think that either going to work in a suit and tie or going under a house to fix a leak is more of "real" job than personal training.

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2016, 05:31:42 AM »
I couldn't careless what you think. Not trying to convince anyone of what I make. You morons put blanket statement out how "personal trainers" are portrayed and that more money is made in the trades, I'll make that comparison all day long. Don't hate because I created a decent business of it. I don't need to convince anyone. I'm 53 and on track to retire (if i want) within 5 years. But since I don't believe in retirement it really doesn't matter.

The problem is most (like 99% of the people on this board) think that either going to work in a suit and tie or going under a house to fix a leak is more of "real" job than personal training.

This is very true. Most people, even here, are classing a steady income with no risks as success.

Fuck that shit life would be boring. I took some risks, had problems, but in how it worked out I never would make what I make now working for someone else. As for steady income vs what's possible working for yourself, steady income jobs would max out at a level, working for yourself could be limitless. You could make more in a year than some in a steady job makes in 5-6.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
I believe the reason Personal Training is mocked comes down to the people who would hire a Personal Trainer.

I'm old enough to remember when the Personal Training game started. Those of us who worked out regularly, at the time, couldn't believe that someone would actually hire someone to train them.