Author Topic: A carb is a carb, Cephissus destroys glycemic index myth  (Read 16880 times)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
A carb is a carb, Cephissus destroys glycemic index myth
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:49:47 AM »
I hear this all the time, most recently cephisiss in the cereal thread basically saying there's no difference between eating something like Special K cereal versus the same quantity of sugary cereal like Lucky Charms.  The claim is that they do the same to your blood sugar.

I also heard Vinne Tortorich on the Adam Carolla Show saying eating a chocolate bar was better than eating a baked potato because the baked potato has a decent amount more carbs and they do the same to blood sugar.

I get what is being said, but this is far, far from my experience.  Even considering a calorie is a calorie, I think eating the clean carbs is nowhere near as bad for you from a weight loss perspective.

Is there any actual scientific evidence of this, by which I mean studies where various foods are eaten (by healthy people who exercise) and then blood sugar is measured to see the effects?  

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: A carb is a carb
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:53:40 AM »
10 grams of carbohydrates (derived from glucose).
10 grams of carbohydrates (derived from fiber).

They are not the same, and have completely different effects on the body.  HTH!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:57:14 AM »
I don't know if what I'll say is bro science but when it comes to foods that are primarily looked at as "good fats" like walnuts, natural peanut butter (the legit kind, not the bullshit ones), etc that do have carbs, I tend to think that the carbs attached to these "good fats" should count but they really don't (I think this was a bit of a run on sentence and could have used a comma here and there--someone help me here)

it sounds weird but I think some of you know what I"m talking about

say you eat 300gs of carbs a day but of those 300 like i dunno 50g's of carbs come from the walnuts you consume

you're daily carb intake is still 300gs and your calorie intake from carbs would still be 1200 kcals

however there should be a tacit understanding in your head that of those 300g's only 250g's really count as carbs

is that how the whole "net carbs" thing works?

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 05:00:45 AM »
A crab is a crab.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 05:07:51 AM »

They are not the same, and have completely different effects on the body.  HTH!

Yes, there are simple carbs and complex carbs.
Simple carbs like sugar, fructose or glucose generally "burn" faster with a higher but shorter spike regarding blood sugar..
Complex carbs like oats, potatoes or whole-grain products generally "burn" slower with a consistent higher level but not as high as simple carbs regarding blood sugar.

A calorie is not a calorie.
Only if you take it literally.

A carb is not a carb.

©

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:10:38 AM »
You are forgetting a food is more than just a carb, fat or protein. Their are many other minerals, vitamins and other nutrients essential to peak performance, so it is almost always better to eat so called clean, as opposed to cheating on junk foods.
V

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 05:15:12 AM »
Read john berardi's article on a carbi is not a carb

hfcs is wicked

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 05:15:32 AM »
Yeah, sure, a tuber from the ground is just as good as a sugary candy bar.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 05:17:20 AM »
Yeah, sure, a tuber from the ground is just as good as a sugary candy bar.
lol.  Amazing how when you keep it simple it all makes sense.
V

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 05:18:40 AM »
btw---lets not player hate on junk food here

that shit is the bomb, yo

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:39:06 AM »
lol.  Amazing how when you keep it simple it all makes sense.

Yeah!  :)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »

They are not the same, and have completely different effects on the body.  HTH!

This is not exactly what I'm concerned about.  Scientific study or not, I don't think carbs from fibrous things like veggies or even apples affect the body the same as a candy bar.  It seems very logical that the fiber affects digestion and slows absorption.

My question is more about natural starchy kinds of carbs like potatoes or poi or rice.

So far no actual studies cited showing these affect the body differently.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »
Simple carbs like sugar, fructose or glucose generally "burn" faster with a higher but shorter spike regarding blood sugar..
Complex carbs like oats, potatoes or whole-grain products generally "burn" slower with a consistent higher level but not as high as simple carbs regarding blood sugar.

This is what I've always believed also, just not sure if it is backed up by any study showing those actual effects, much less a study in humans.

Jovo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig !
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 06:51:48 AM »
fiber encapsulates the glucose for example, and this shell takes time for the body to break down before the glucose can be absorbed. Ie: lower glycemic load aswell as more effort by the body to actually utilize the energy , and lets not forget the benefits of fiber

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 07:01:25 AM »
This is what I've always believed also, just not sure if it is backed up by any study showing those actual effects, much less a study in humans.

Yes, there are literally hundreds of scientific studies performed on various animals.  PubMed has many of them. 

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:39:36 AM »
<TrueAdonis>
You're all idiots
</TrueAdonis>

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »
Sucrose/glucose not the same as complex/fibrous carbs.

Anyone who believes they are the same is a moronic fucktard.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »
Carbs, protein and fats all work the same way.

Lets say you want to ingest 200 grams of protein. It doesnt matter where the 200 grams come from. If I eat 15 slices of cake to get 200 grams of protein, that is the same as eating 5 chicken breasts to get 200 grams of protein. Your body doesnt know where the protein is coming from.

The same with carbs. If you need to ingest 100 grams of carbs, you can get those carbs from anywhere.

The point being is that as long as you dont go passed what your body needs, you're fine.

/thread
X

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »
carbs are delicious

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »

A carb is not a carb.

A case can be made that complex carbs are worse than the simple, as the reason complex carbs are "slow burning" is because they are harder to digest.

Carbs are primarily for anaerobic activities. Slow burning energy is the function of fat.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »

Lets say you want to ingest 200 grams of protein. It doesnt matter where the 200 grams come from. If I eat 15 slices of cake to get 200 grams of protein, that is the same as eating 5 chicken breasts to get 200 grams of protein. Your body doesnt know where the protein is coming from.

The same with carbs. If you need to ingest 100 grams of carbs, you can get those carbs from anywhere.

The point being is that as long as you dont go passed what your body needs, you're fine.

/thread

A carb is not a carb.

A calorie breaks down basically into protein, carbs and fat or any combination of these.

Protein breaks down into complete protein sources (which contain all 9 essential amino acids, mostly animal protein),
and incomplete protein sources (which don't contain all 9 essential amino acids, mostly plant protein).
Incomplete protein sources can be combined to form a complete protein source though.

Carbs, as already previously mentioned break down into complex carbs and simple carbs which have completely different effects on the body.

Fat breaks down into saturated fat and unsaturated fat where unsaturated fat, especially poly-unsatured fat (such as high quality vegetable oil) is to prefer.

©

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
cake=shake as per  dr c f smith... ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 11:19:19 AM »

/thread

::)
?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
Another bullshit thread here on getbig!   :D