Author Topic: "Natural Bodybuilding" Modern Oxymoron?  (Read 15727 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: "Natural Bodybuilding" Modern Oxymoron?
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2006, 07:48:10 PM »

Well your "connotative" definition is hypocritical. That's what i'm pointing out. You say "natural" means "drug free". Why? Why does it mean drug free? How are steroids unnatural and synthetic chemicals like creatine natural? Creatine can be found in food, Occurs in the body..So what? That doesn't mean the synthetic purified form that is injested in supplements is natural. In fact every single definition of natural...Creatine would be unnatural!

This is kind of a circular argument, but "natural" means drug free because drugs aren't involved.   :)  Not sure how else to say it. 

I'm not a scientist, but I don't think creatine is a synthetic chemical.  Sounds like you're putting nutritional supplements in the same category as steroids.  I don't think that argument works.   

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2006, 07:58:53 AM »
This is kind of a circular argument, but "natural" means drug free because drugs aren't involved.   :)  Not sure how else to say it. 

I'm not a scientist, but I don't think creatine is a synthetic chemical.  Sounds like you're putting nutritional supplements in the same category as steroids.  I don't think that argument works.   

The creatine powder you get is synthetic creatine constructed from the amino acids that make up creatine. It doesn't come from food. They synthesize the amino acids and then combine them into a powder for consumption.

I'm not compairing creatine to anabolic steroids. I'm just saying your definition of "natural" is hypocritical.

AMNIMAL

• Getbig II
  • IRON addict for LIFE
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »
Hmmm.....this is similar to a topic me and Jenn have been debating about that last few days. 

We can even break down this further, what qualifies someone as a bodybuilder in general?  Do they have to compete?  Do they have to diet?  Do they have to bulk?  Do they have to train every bodypart?  Do they have to take supplements?

Discuss.....

IMO...When I think of Bodybuilding...I think building a BETTER body than what you started with, no matter what your "starting point" is. Doesn't necessarily have to mean BIGGER body does it? Of course most of us (who call ourselves bodybuilders) HOPE our body gets bigger in the process of all our hours spent carefully planning and preparing our meals, busting our A$$es tossing around iron in the gym and then enduring the long periods of strict dieting to be able to get on stage and let all your hard work be recognized! Again...IMO I think bodybuilding is finishing with a better "product" than what you started of with. There is  such a big stereotype attached to the word BODYBUILDER. Definitely makes for some great debates ;D