Author Topic: "Natural Bodybuilding" Modern Oxymoron?  (Read 15697 times)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Re: "Natural Bodybuilding" Modern Oxymoron?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 09:34:02 AM »
The "natural" in "natural bodybuilding" is really a reference to natural hormone levels. Creatine or protein power will not radically change serum hormone levels, hence they are not unnatural in the bodybuilding sense.

I don't agree with some of your other points, either. Lifting weights is not "unnatural". Humans have been building up their muscles through manual labor for many thousands of years. There is even evidence that the ancient Greeks engaged in weight training. People have only been injecting synthetic hormones into their ass since the 1960's. Steroid bodybuilding was only made possible once the knowledge of steroid chemistry reached an advanced state.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 09:56:33 AM »
The "natural" in "natural bodybuilding" is really a reference to natural hormone levels.

According to whom?

I don't agree with some of your other points, either. Lifting weights is not "unnatural". Humans have been building up their muscles through manual labor for many thousands of years. There is even evidence that the ancient Greeks engaged in weight training. People have only been injecting synthetic hormones into their ass since the 1960's. Steroid bodybuilding was only made possible once the knowledge of steroid chemistry reached an advanced state.

It doesn't matter how far back weight lifting goes...Unless it occurs naturally in nature it can't be called "natural". Where do dumbells and barbells occur in nature? Nowhere. Thus they can't be called "natural".

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »
they occur in nature right here and now.  They are one of the tools we humans use.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
they occur in nature right here and now.  They are one of the tools we humans use.

By the strictest definition, If they are human created they can't be called "natural".

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 04:37:45 PM »
Fine you win...whatever-so I will continue to be a "natural bodybuilder" by only doing sit-ups, wall sits and push ups.  Maybe if I find a good branch outside I can do some pull ups too ::)
Jennifer

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 04:58:45 AM »
Fine you win...whatever-so I will continue to be a "natural bodybuilder" by only doing sit-ups, wall sits and push ups.  Maybe if I find a good branch outside I can do some pull ups too ::)

Or you can stop calling yourself a "Natural bodybuilder" and start just refering to yourself as a "Bodybuilder who does not use steroids".

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »

Wow, he didn't say none of that is natural because it's not done in nature.  I have never seen an ape (not that I'm referring you to as an ape  ;D) doing situps or pushups on the discovery channel.  Well, maybe they do, maybe it's just not documented.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 08:24:02 AM »
According to whom?

It's a "universal label", it's common knowledge. 

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 08:48:56 AM »
It's a "universal label", it's common knowledge. 

No..Bodybuilders who don't take steroids just like to label themselves "natural" in an attempt to sould purer or better than enhanced bodybuilders who use steroids. When in reality there isn't anything "natural" about what bodybuilders do..steroids or not.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
I move that we change the name of this board to "Bodybuilders who do not use steroids"  although that may make some steroid using bodybuilders angry since this also may indicate we are more pure and better then those who use.  How about Non-Enhanced Bodybuilders??? Though I didn't realize using steroids allowed you to be "enhanced!"

If you are trying to argue about word usage you may take a second look at the work "enhanced."  Since when does using an illegal substance enhance you????  The defintion of enhanced is to intensify or increase in value, quality or beauty...not everyone thinks a mass monster is "enhanced," please Johnny Apollo what are we to do????
Jennifer

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 09:05:12 AM »
I move that we change the name of this board to "Bodybuilders who do not use steroids"  although that may make some steroid using bodybuilders angry since this also may indicate we are more pure and better then those who use.  How about Non-Enhanced Bodybuilders??? Though I didn't realize using steroids allowed you to be "enhanced!"

If you are trying to argue about word usage you may take a second look at the work "enhanced."  Since when does using an illegal substance enhance you????  The defintion of enhanced is to intensify or increase in value, quality or beauty...not everyone thinks a mass monster is "enhanced," please Johnny Apollo what are we to do????

On the contrary using steroids does "enhance" you. It enhances muscle mass. Enhances protein synthesis. Enhances recovery. Enhances stamina...Ect..Ect.

Enhance just means "increase" and steroids increase the rate protein is synthesized, Steroids increase recovery time, Steroids increase muscle strength....

So yes...Anabolic Steroids enhance.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 10:12:28 AM »
But enhance is used almost always used as a positive (like the examples you gave) and steroids to do have all positive side effects.  Well, I suppose we could say it enhanced HER masculinity...it enhanced his chance of cardiovascular disease. 

It seems you are implying non-steroid using athletes are inferior then those enhanced ones...you'll enjoy this article given to me by another member.
http://www.thebrushback.com/pussies_full.htm
Jennifer

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »
But enhance is used almost always used as a positive (like the examples you gave) and steroids to do have all positive side effects.  Well, I suppose we could say it enhanced HER masculinity...it enhanced his chance of cardiovascular disease. 

It seems you are implying non-steroid using athletes are inferior then those enhanced ones...you'll enjoy this article given to me by another member.
http://www.thebrushback.com/pussies_full.htm

You don't seem to know anything about Anabolic Steroids. If used correctly the effects are ALL positive. You can prevent side effects from appearing by cycling correctly and using proper post cycle therapy.

Strength gain
Muscle gain
Faster recovery time
Increased apetite
Sense of well being
More energy
More motivation
Faster protein synthesis

These are negative side effects? I think NOT.

If used correctly the ONLY side effects that are even notable(Not even that common) are..

Acne
Temporary breast tenderness
Mild mood swings
Increased cholesterol count
Higher blood pressure

That's about it as far as proven immediate side effects go when cycling correctly and using proper PCT(Cycling "correctly" means no women or children)..ALL of which are temporary..ALL of which can be reduced by cycling correctly and all of which are fairly rare among steroid users.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 01:08:44 AM »

No..Bodybuilders who don't take steroids just like to label themselves "natural" in an attempt to sould purer or better than enhanced bodybuilders who use steroids. When in reality there isn't anything "natural" about what bodybuilders do..steroids or not.

As I said, the last time you and Robocop engaged in this pitiful whinefest, If you're so convinced that you must use roids to get the physique you desire, use them and quit blubbering about it; or find a way to get big without them.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 06:25:41 AM »

By the strictest definition, If they are human created they can't be called "natural".

You're being very pedantic - I mean I could say sitting at a keyboard reading decoded binary data coming
from a remote server is not very natural. Sure dumbbells and barbells don't occur in nature but it has been
in mans nature to train and improve himself both physically and mentally for as far back as we can remember
- bodybuilding is just a specific manifestation of this. The fact that specific tools have been created for this
purpose does not make it less natural.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »
As I said, the last time you and Robocop engaged in this pitiful whinefest, If you're so convinced that you must use roids to get the physique you desire, use them and quit blubbering about it; or find a way to get big without them.

It depends on the "Physique you desire". You can get to a point naturally but if you desire more...

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41:50 AM »
I don't like your definition of natural.  Why should fusion and black holes be considered natural phenomenon while an iron dumbell is considered unnatural just because it is created by a hairless ape.  I don't think there is a meaningful distinction to be found between natural and unnatural, as there is between natural and supernatural/imaginary.

-sS

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2006, 10:04:32 AM »
I don't like your definition of natural.  Why should fusion and black holes be considered natural phenomenon while an iron dumbell is considered unnatural just because it is created by a hairless ape.  I don't think there is a meaningful distinction to be found between natural and unnatural, as there is between natural and supernatural/imaginary.

-sS

That's my point. "Natural" is ambigious.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2006, 12:14:48 PM »
ok we are basically in agreement here that the line between natural and unnatural is arbitrary.  Where we disagree is that you think that weight lifting and steroids should both be considered unnatural whereas I think they are both natural. 

From your posts I take it that you are not natural.  How long did you lift before you got on teh juice?

I tend to think that talk of building a natural base is bollocks.  If you want to get super big I think the best bet is get on as soon as possible.  it takes many years of juicing full steam ahead to get huge.

That being said, it's not important enough for me to get huge to risk the sides (I'm prone to acne, only got it under control with the help of accutane) and have baldness in my family so I might start really losing hair if I tried it.  I'm also reluctant to mess with my cholesteral and liver chemistry.

So until the myostatin blocking antibody's are availible and proven safe I will have to settle for looking like an average joe.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »
ok we are basically in agreement here that the line between natural and unnatural is arbitrary.  Where we disagree is that you think that weight lifting and steroids should both be considered unnatural whereas I think they are both natural. 

From your posts I take it that you are not natural.  How long did you lift before you got on teh juice?

I tend to think that talk of building a natural base is bollocks.  If you want to get super big I think the best bet is get on as soon as possible.  it takes many years of juicing full steam ahead to get huge.

That being said, it's not important enough for me to get huge to risk the sides (I'm prone to acne, only got it under control with the help of accutane) and have baldness in my family so I might start really losing hair if I tried it.  I'm also reluctant to mess with my cholesteral and liver chemistry.

So until the myostatin blocking antibody's are availible and proven safe I will have to settle for looking like an average joe.

1.I've never used steroids myself.

2.I strongly disagree as far as the "natural base" goes. I say that you need atleast 8 years of good training before you should ever use anabolic steroids(And be over 18 years old).

3.We aren't in disagreement as far as the natural/unnatural thing goes.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »

2.I strongly disagree as far as the "natural base" goes. I say that you need atleast 8 years of good training before you should ever use anabolic steroids(And be over 18 years old).

From looking at most of the pics of the pros it seems like they get on juice in their teens or early 20's.  You gain faster on roids then off them, sp it just seems like a better way to get big.  I know people say receptors burn out after a while but I think that the palumbo, kovacs, nasser look is more a result of too much eating, GH, and Slin.  Look at guys like Dave Drapper, who has probably been on some kind of exogenous hormones for 40 years and he still looks awesome.

Then there is the argument that without a natural base you are more likely to grow too fast and muscle gains will outpace tendon strength increasing the chances of injury.  I think that this could be avoided with conservative progression and a solid background as a natural (no way that 8 years is necessary though, 2-3 of serious training should be plenty). 

To some extent I think that talk of the natural base is just another way for pro BBs to claim that their results are not all caused by sauce.

-sS

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2006, 11:49:52 AM »
Straw man argument. "Natural" in bodybuilding circles simply means you've never used steroids. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree.  It's that simple. 

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2006, 12:01:58 PM »
I agree.  It's that simple. 

But bodybuilding circles don't define the word "natural". Natural is defined by common usage which is in the dictionary. Nowhere in the definition of "natural" in any reputable dictionary does it say "not using anabolic steroids". You can't just make up your own definitions to words to fit your argument.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2006, 12:58:10 PM »

But bodybuilding circles don't define the word "natural". Natural is defined by common usage which is in the dictionary. Nowhere in the definition of "natural" in any reputable dictionary does it say "not using anabolic steroids". You can't just make up your own definitions to words to fit your argument.

You can't just rely on dictionary definitions to fit your argument either.  I use the dictionary a lot, but there are connotative meanings too.  The connotative meaning of "natural bodybuilding" is "drug free." 

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2006, 02:48:17 PM »
You can't just rely on dictionary definitions to fit your argument either.  I use the dictionary a lot, but there are connotative meanings too.  The connotative meaning of "natural bodybuilding" is "drug free." 

Well your "connotative" definition is hypocritical. That's what i'm pointing out. You say "natural" means "drug free". Why? Why does it mean drug free? How are steroids unnatural and synthetic chemicals like creatine natural? Creatine can be found in food, Occurs in the body..So what? That doesn't mean the synthetic purified form that is injested in supplements is natural. In fact every single definition of natural...Creatine would be unnatural!