Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 23, 2017, 09:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Humanity is cosmically special. Here’s how we know  (Read 1911 times)
loco
Getbig V

loco like a fox

« on: December 06, 2016, 07:07:39 AM »

Howard A. Smith is a lecturer in the Harvard University Department of Astronomy and a senior astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"We seem to be cosmically special, perhaps even unique — at least as far as we are likely to know for eons."

"The universe, far from being a collection of random accidents, appears to be stupendously perfect and fine-tuned for life. The strengths of the four forces that operate in the universe — gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear interactions (the latter two dominate only at the level of atoms) — for example, have values critically suited for life, and were they even a few percent different, we would not be here."

"The bottom line for extraterrestrial intelligence is that it is probably rarer than previously imagined, a conclusion called the misanthropic principle. For all intents and purposes, we could be alone in our cosmic neighborhood"

"Some of my colleagues strongly reject this notion. They would echo Hawking: “I can’t believe the whole universe exists for our benefit.” Yes, we all have beliefs — but beliefs are not proof. Hawking’s belief presumes that we are nothing but ordinary, a “chemical scum.” All the observations so far, however, are consistent with the idea that humanity is not mediocre at all and that we won’t know otherwise for a long time. It seems we might even serve some cosmic role"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/humanity-is-cosmically-special-heres-how-we-know/2016/11/25/cd327520-b0cc-11e6-8616-52b15787add0_story.html?utm_term=.cac032467a4c
Report to moderator   Logged
Man of Steel
Getbig V

Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »

Howard A. Smith is a lecturer in the Harvard University Department of Astronomy and a senior astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"We seem to be cosmically special, perhaps even unique — at least as far as we are likely to know for eons."

"The universe, far from being a collection of random accidents, appears to be stupendously perfect and fine-tuned for life. The strengths of the four forces that operate in the universe — gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear interactions (the latter two dominate only at the level of atoms) — for example, have values critically suited for life, and were they even a few percent different, we would not be here."

"The bottom line for extraterrestrial intelligence is that it is probably rarer than previously imagined, a conclusion called the misanthropic principle. For all intents and purposes, we could be alone in our cosmic neighborhood"

"Some of my colleagues strongly reject this notion. They would echo Hawking: “I can’t believe the whole universe exists for our benefit.” Yes, we all have beliefs — but beliefs are not proof. Hawking’s belief presumes that we are nothing but ordinary, a “chemical scum.” All the observations so far, however, are consistent with the idea that humanity is not mediocre at all and that we won’t know otherwise for a long time. It seems we might even serve some cosmic role"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/humanity-is-cosmically-special-heres-how-we-know/2016/11/25/cd327520-b0cc-11e6-8616-52b15787add0_story.html?utm_term=.cac032467a4c
Thanks for the post!!

Eventually science (knowledge) will include what believers already know.....they're getting there....slowly LOL.  Hopefully they get there before the rude awakening.

loco
Getbig V

loco like a fox

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:08:08 AM »

Thanks for the post!!

Eventually science (knowledge) will include what believers already know.....they're getting there....slowly LOL.  Hopefully they get there before the rude awakening.

You ain't lying, brotha!   Smiley
Necrosis
Getbig V

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »

Hello loco, I am not an atheist but the arguments he is presenting are not rationally sound. If a puddle of water could contemplate it's life it would perhaps come to the conclusion that the hole it finds itself in is perfect for it, it holds it perfectly, it must have been created for the puddle or at least with the puddle in mind. The universe is devoid of life more so than it is full, that's obvious. We have no other universe to compare it to thus the fine-tuning is impossible to quantify.

I certainly believe in a god, a Spinoza type substance that is transcendent and immanent. Spinoza did say Jesus had the closest line to god every articulated, his concept of love and being god (everything is god) is correct in my estimation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!