Author Topic: Watch experts of getbig please chime in  (Read 25718 times)

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
Re: Watch experts of getbig please chime in
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »

True - we all have our likes & preferences.

I like cars / m/bikes / watches - I buy what i like & can afford & enjoy the satisfaction of owning them,
Just like everyone else when they purchase what they like.

Never understand why some much hate & jealousy on here at times.
Must be some very unhappy / sad people.

Exactly

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:33 AM »
Ah, a man after my own heart, LOL.  

Love all my Rolexs.  Classy-Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506.  Flashy-116618 ROLEX 18K Yellow Gold BLUE SUBMARINER CERAMIC.

Daily-Yacht-Master Automatic Black Dial 18kt Everose Gold Black Rubber Strap
Daily-Explorer II Watch - Stainless Steel White Dial 216570 42MM
Daily-Vintage Rolex Submariner Date 16610 40mm Stainless Steel with NATO band

And then an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Chronometer Chronograph, which is one of my favorites also.

Nice collection,the platona is the dream what a beautiful watch.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
That's very true. I'm a big knife guy. I daily carry a knife I paid over 200 dollars for, but to most that would be an insane purchase for a tool that will get used and abused over time. Most people don't even carry a knife any more, but I always have that beat up zero tolerance on me.

I get this.

I frequent deal sites and I'm always close to pulling the trigger on Kershaw blades and stuff that I have no use for, just because they look so cool.  I'm not even sure what's considered high end or anything.

I do own an Esse Izula II that I keep in my ruck and a giant Ka-Bar thing I bought because it was 80% off one day, but that's about it.
Y

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »
I have a Rolex, Gucci and Cartier and a few others.  I you buy from a grey market dealer, Rolex will not honor any warranties. And members may scoff ( but I know my watches and for $1100 CAD, you can by a replica that could fool dealers and unless you take the mechanisms out of the watch, NO ONE can tell.

J

I buy them new, but not from an AD.  Take for instance the Gold 18K Submariner.  If you were to go into a Rolex dealer you would pay $34,900 plus tax.  So at least $37,500.  I buy the same exact thing from a reputable dealer for $26,500.  Don't even have to pay tax.  It's still brand new, still wrapped, with all books, tags, box and card.

They say that Rolex dealers can NEVER discount their inventory and that's true.  What they don't say is that when some Rolex dealers get in a bind they will sell some of their inventory to other buyers.  The only problem with that NOW is that Rolex won't honor your 5 year warranty unless it's filled out by an authorized Rolex dealer.

But I have never had to use a warranty for any of my purchases before this kicked in a couple of months ago.

Give you an example.  I had my Gold sub on top of a box coming in from the garage.  It slide off and slammed on the tile kitchen floor.  The bezel popped off and it wouldn't keep proper time and had a ding in the side of the case.

I took it to a certified Rolex jeweler for him to send it back to Switzerland.  He said if he sent it Rolex would VOID the warranty because they would consider it "ABUSE".  Which I verified they would have done.  Ended up getting him to fix it and buff out the ding as well.  Only took 2 days, opposed to 2 to 3 months.  So what good is the warranty for anyway these days?  I'm not even sure if it's transferable if you sell it to someone else now after the changes.

Side note. On one 2-tone Submariner that I bought brand new at a discounted price from the same dealer, I wore it a solid year and then sold it on Ebay and made a $1000 bucks, LOL.  Before I sold it, I had it puffed and made to look new.  So I sold it as a "like new" model.

In my opinion and in my case, I would NEVER buy a Rolex at a jewelry store again.  You can save thousands and thousands depending on what type you get.  Like you said, even pawn shows, if you can be sure they are genuine.  But the same goes with other dealers.  You need a good solid one that you can trust.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »
I have a Rolex, Gucci and Cartier and a few others.  I you buy from a grey market dealer, Rolex will not honor any warranties. And members may scoff ( but I know my watches and for $1100 CAD, you can by a replica that could fool dealers and unless you take the mechanisms out of the watch, NO ONE can tell.

J

I've boughten grey market many times and they honored my warranty when there was an issue which isn't to often.haven't had a problem in years though.As long as card is swiped at AD it's all set.as far as reps go,I have a buddy that buys them and wears them for a while to see if he likes them enough to buy the real ones and I will say he spends about 4-500 on these reps and they are pretty spot on and 99% of people couldn't tell the difference.I have considered it in the past to save money but it's just not the same as I'm buying for myself not for others so I know it's crap and couldn't do it.

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
My philosophy is this.

Come easy, go easy.  Or as others say, "Easy Come, Easy go".  When you have to bust your ass and finally get something you've worked hard for, you'll appreciate it a hell of a lot more.  Be that a new car, watch or house or a business.

When something is just handed over to you, it has no emotional, vested value.

Don't want to get into politics, but the same thing goes for people who want college FREE.  Do you honestly think they would appreciate that diploma more than a guy/gal, that had to work a part-time job during the school year and save up all his money from a full-time job in the summer?  I don't think so. (That said, I do think the price of an education is astronomical and the reason for that is quite a few things.  One of which is tenure.  But I won't even go there.  Other than to say it's just a rip-off and a racket and post-school could be a HELL of a lot cheaper).

Same with lotto winners and all sorts of sports stars.  Doesn't matter if they made $110 million plus during their career.  A lot of them are flat broke as soon as they leave the league.  The money came too easy and they didn't appreciate what they had.

So if someone has worked his butt off and worked smart as well, there's nothing wrong if they want a few nice things.  You do you and I'll do me :)

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
My philosophy is this.

Come easy, go easy.  Or as others say, "Easy Come, Easy go".  When you have to bust your ass and finally get something you've worked hard for, you'll appreciate it a hell of a lot more.  Be that a new car, watch or house or a business.

When something is just handed over to you, it has no emotional, vested value.

Don't want to get into politics, but the same thing goes for people who want college FREE.  Do you honestly think they would appreciate that diploma more than a guy/gal, that had to work a part-time job during the school year and save up all his money from a full-time job in the summer?  I don't think so. (That said, I do think the price of an education is astronomical and the reason for that is quite a few things.  One of which is tenure.  But I won't even go there.  Other than to say it's just a rip-off and a racket and post-school could be a HELL of a lot cheaper).

Same with lotto winners and all sorts of sports stars.  Doesn't matter if they made $110 million plus during their career.  A lot of them are flat broke as soon as they leave the league.  The money came too easy and they didn't appreciate what they had.

So if someone has worked his butt off and worked smart as well, there's nothing wrong if they want a few nice things.  You do you and I'll do me :)

Well said

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »
I've boughten grey market many times and they honored my warranty when there was an issue which isn't to often.haven't had a problem in years though.As long as card is swiped at AD it's all set.as far as reps go,I have a buddy that buys them and wears them for a while to see if he likes them enough to buy the real ones and I will say he spends about 4-500 on these reps and they are pretty spot on and 99% of people couldn't tell the difference.I have considered it in the past to save money but it's just not the same as I'm buying for myself not for others so I know it's crap and couldn't do it.

Robcguns,  Rolex literally just changed their policy sometime around December 9-10th, 2016.  If the warranty card isn't stamped from an AD the day it's sold to the buyer and on file in Switzerland or can be verified via the internet, they will no longer honor them.  Not sure if the warranty even transfers to the new owner anymore. They are trying to cut out the Grey Market.  Which sucks, LOL.

But if someone can buy the EXACT same watch, still brand new and wrapped up with all accoutrement and documentation and never worn and genuine AND save about 25% plus, I don't think not having a warranty would stop them.  It wouldn't me, LOL.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
so if the quality is that great, how come warranty is that big of a deal

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
We all know your average getbigger has a few dozen new and vintage swiss timepieces kicking around his collection at any one time. But said getbiggers would never daily wear such valuables especially in times like these with the dindus up in arms.

I'm looking for a clean simple watch, no more than $450 but dead reliable high quality and looks the business. I am a huge submariner fan, but would never spend that kind of money on something I intend to wear every day. Band must be metal, and no stupid bling bling stuff going on with it, just clean and classy look.

Any suggestions?

I too like the Rolex sea dweller. I'm not a bling guy and don't wear any jewelry, but like a good watch. Why not just save and get one nice thing, it'll last a lifetime and there's no compromise.

Hack Benchers

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
These kind of threads always bring out the dick slingers who pretent to own pimping watches. Reallity-> casio

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »
Robcguns,  Rolex literally just changed their policy sometime around December 9-10th, 2016.  If the warranty card isn't stamped from an AD the day it's sold to the buyer and on file in Switzerland or can be verified via the internet, they will no longer honor them.  Not sure if the warranty even transfers to the new owner anymore. They are trying to cut out the Grey Market.  Which sucks, LOL.

But if someone can buy the EXACT same watch, still brand new and wrapped up with all accoutrement and documentation and never worn and genuine AND save about 25% plus, I don't think not having a warranty would stop them.  It wouldn't me, LOL.

Thanks for the update,I heard something but wasn't sure what it was.Yeah ok take a big discount verse a warranty you prob won't need anyways.

Hack Benchers

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
Once again,some people like watches,I'm sure you like some things that other people don't?Why think people have to be showing off cause they happen to like expensive watches?I just don't get why anyone has to be that guy?i don't say people wearing fancy suits or driving bentleys are show offs.If I can afford it and I like it I buy it simple as that.Also I've never lost money on a Rolex as I am close with An AD and get great prices so when I want to change watches I sell for a profit and get the next piece.Its money in the bank while enjoying something I like.
Its a status symbol  ::)

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
so if the quality is that great, how come warranty is that big of a deal

Cause when you spend a lot of money you like a warranty,chances are you won't need to use it anyways but nice to know it's there.But like I said in post above ok take discount over warranty any day.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
These kind of threads always bring out the dick slingers who pretent to own pimping watches. Reallity-> casio

Yeah really hard to believe people on a forum own some nice watches.You must lead a pathetic existance wearing your Casio in your moms basemnet.

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
Yeah really hard to believe people on a forum own some nice watches.You must lead a pathetic existance wearing your Casio in your moms basemnet.

I wear a casio but I do not live in my moms basement most of the time you bitch!!!!!

And ofcourse some getbiggers can afford big watches but not you. Poser.

You meltdown fast bro, fast lol

Simple Simon

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
If you look like a piece of shit and are a fuckwit, no watch is going to cover that, everyone will think its a fake.
If you have charisma and charm you can get away with a fake because people will expect you to have the real thing.

the watch itself doesn't matter.

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »
I wear a casio but I do not live in my moms basement most of the time you bitch!!!!!

I forgot to switch accounts FFS  ;D

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2017, 01:51:32 PM »
If you look like a piece of shit and are a fuckwit, no watch is going to cover that, everyone will think its a fake.
If you have charisma and charm you can get away with a fake because people will expect you to have the real thing.

the watch itself doesn't matter.

The truth

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
i disagree.

it does matter.

just like having an original painting rather than a replica matters.

Simple Simon

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
i disagree.

it does matter.

Not really, if a multi millionaire had a fake painting on his wall would anyone suspect it was fake?

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2017, 02:26:27 PM »
i disagree.

it does matter.

But having the original painting does not turn a dweeb in to a handsome stud.
A handsome stud is a handsome stud with or without the original painting.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »

The richest guy I know wears a Casio so no prob with Casio,I was using it as hack bencher used it.Just backing up my love of Rolex watches.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
But having the original painting does not turn a dweeb in to a handsome stud.
A handsome stud is a handsome stud with or without the original painting.

The fuck does that have to do with anything?People like what they like,I swear half this forum is a bunch of mentally handicapped individuals.

Simple Simon

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
The richest guy I know wears a Casio so no prob with Casio,I was using it as hack bencher used it.Just backing up my love of Rolex watches.

epic trailer park circle of friends of peace.