Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 417645 times)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Re: Mentzer
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »
looks short. like an action figure

5'8", 225 pounds and legit 18 5/8" bicep.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »
the thing is mike didnt seem suicidal he just wrapped up making his training video that day . 

I know that. I think Mike was a legit heart attack. He was probably used to the daily pain med use, you can tell he was in pain just walking around when they were shooting that training video. He was also in a better mood than Ray during that day.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2017, 03:47:01 AM »
 :)

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2017, 03:47:59 AM »
 ;D

Dieter

• Getbig III
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2017, 07:38:01 AM »

Mike looks like an angry insecure gay midget here trying to intimidate the band.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »
always had Mentzer pegged as a jooooo

big nose and glasses with eyes too close together ie typical joo

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »

Mike looks like an angry insecure gay midget here trying to intimidate the band.

LOL he looks so short there. Looks like Freddie Mecury on the gas and then transitioned effortlessly to the leather guy from the Village People when he put the hat on.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »

Jeez, just goes to show how bodybuilding has never been presented in a good light. Wtf did I just watch? A shitty band from the 70s and Mike posing in front of the band. So bad I could not watch it all. Lol fuck
h

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
i think they were onto something there!

we need to bring todays bodybuilders together with todays bands!!

phil heath and guns n roses tour 2017!!

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
mike was a huge  fan of led zeppelin, his training partners said he would blast them in his car on the way to the gym before his workouts,  so that makes him pretty fucking cool in my book

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »
mike was a huge  fan of led zeppelin, his training partners said he would blast them in his car on the way to the gym before his workouts,  so that makes him pretty fucking cool in my book

he also liked Wagner

typical tough and macho GERMAN 8) 8) 8)

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »

It looks like a drunkard who wakes up without clothes to a rock concert. Agree not a great image for bodybuilding/bodybuilders  :o

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
always had Mentzer pegged as a jooooo

big nose and glasses with eyes too close together ie typical joo

Nose doesn't look big.... I thought he was German or something.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
Nose doesn't look big.... I thought he was German or something.

he is German, but kinda looks like a roided out version of this jooooo

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »

Good Lord.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
Interesting discussion.  Some really good points, especially about his back, which hd recognized  in the late 70s and started doing power cleans and deadlifts, along with heavy machine shrugs. Like in his pecs, he just didn't have the fiber density, that he had in his delts, arms, and legs. He had good traps from the front, his MM pose was freaky. He was more gifted in the limbs than in the torso, by his own admission, though he gained evenly when I asked him. The drug thing is right and wrong. He started using at 19 when he first competed in the Mr. America contest. He used Deca, though not in those doses, that figure came from Viator when he was high. Mike used d Decadurabolin, Durabolin and Dianabol. He found with more modest doses, he had less water retention issues.  Was big on going up on his roof, and sweating out the water. Interesting story about Casey when he trained with Mike, Mike told me that Casey was so 'luded out which spotting Mike doing Universal Incline presses with the stack plus a 45 lb plate, that Mike told him, if you're not into this, then we shouldn't train together, this is important to me. He would say the same thing when training clients, including me. Made a study of motivation, used to attend classes given by Rex Dante, Mike said he'd get so excited going, he'd almost pee his  pants lol. The amphetamines were pretty much his downfall, along with unresolved psychological issues, which he admitted fed of each other. In the 90s, he was doing well financially, had a great place in Marina Del Rey, and later in Playa which was even cooler, split 3 level condo, guy had good taste. Bought a Jag around that time, but drove a crappy black station wagon before that. He was only psychotic sounding one time when I talked to him, we used to have 3 hour phone convos the night of the 94 O, he was Dorian was going to win, but that the biceps tear wouldn't hurt him, probably add more peak if anything, well he was partly right. Now he was seeing dead people, that night, I escaped that call when I could lol. I do miss the guy, he was always a good friend.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »

looks damn cool there to me

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
thanks for the story viking11  :)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
Interesting discussion.  Some really good points, especially about his back, which hd recognized  in the late 70s and started doing power cleans and deadlifts, along with heavy machine shrugs. Like in his pecs, he just didn't have the fiber density, that he had in his delts, arms, and legs. He had good traps from the front, his MM pose was freaky. He was more gifted in the limbs than in the torso, by his own admission, though he gained evenly when I asked him. The drug thing is right and wrong. He started using at 19 when he first competed in the Mr. America contest. He used Deca, though not in those doses, that figure came from Viator when he was high. Mike used d Decadurabolin, Durabolin and Dianabol. He found with more modest doses, he had less water retention issues.  Was big on going up on his roof, and sweating out the water. Interesting story about Casey when he trained with Mike, Mike told me that Casey was so 'luded out which spotting Mike doing Universal Incline presses with the stack plus a 45 lb plate, that Mike told him, if you're not into this, then we shouldn't train together, this is important to me. He would say the same thing when training clients, including me. Made a study of motivation, used to attend classes given by Rex Dante, Mike said he'd get so excited going, he'd almost pee his  pants lol. The amphetamines were pretty much his downfall, along with unresolved psychological issues, which he admitted fed of each other. In the 90s, he was doing well financially, had a great place in Marina Del Rey, and later in Playa which was even cooler, split 3 level condo, guy had good taste. Bought a Jag around that time, but drove a crappy black station wagon before that. He was only psychotic sounding one time when I talked to him, we used to have 3 hour phone convos the night of the 94 O, he was Dorian was going to win, but that the biceps tear wouldn't hurt him, probably add more peak if anything, well he was partly right. Now he was seeing dead people, that night, I escaped that call when I could lol. I do miss the guy, he was always a good friend.

Cool story thanx for sharing. Had I lived in the area in the 90s I would have sought him out for training.
h

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »

Primary reason I came here, and also the reason I stay. Great insight.

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »

Any more on this one? Studying motivation?

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

wow viking great post , did he ever tell you how much cardio he did for a show?  i have his heavy duty journal for the 79 olympia prep, looked like he was doing one to two sessions per day

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments, glad people enjoyed the post! Rex Dante was sort of a motivational speaker and life coach incorporating the ideas of Ayn Rand. He was pretty down to earth, I did some phone consults with him on Mike's referral, after my ex and I split and I was going through a down period. He helped me with some insights and ideas.
As to cardio, Mike kinda became a cardio fiend in 79 when he had let his mother's death and other things affect him to the point of getting really depressed and staying in bed until noon. He lost his motivation for a while, and finally saw Ray looking freaky prior to his America win, which lit a  fire under his ass. He was too far from contest condition, so he added in cardio to accelerate the process, and ate less fat and protein and carbs to fuel his weight workouts. He wasn't afraid to challenge the prevailing conventional wisdom of the time, which may have been ultimately his best contribution to the sport.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »
how did he offically die?

he brother died like right afterwards?

did he brother do the exact same shit?

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »