Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418950 times)

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #400 on: May 04, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »

Perfection.

A damn shame Mike never won the Olympia.

In that picture he does look damn good
Big full balanced
Probably one the best pics of him.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #401 on: May 04, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »

Perfection.

A damn shame Mike never won the Olympia.

Mike and Robby Robinson lost to Frank Zane. Both must have wondered what the judges were looking for. All those years trying to get huge and they lost to a smaller guy.

Mike and Ray both had somewhat large heads and this detracted from seeing how big they actually were. Compare with Sergio to see what I mean.

Mike lost to Zane partly because of 'conditioning' and he wasn't going to let that happen again. Perhaps he lost too much size trying to get really ripped? When Mike posed

at the 80 Olympia he looked great on his own. But in the comparisons he didn't look like the winner. Once Arnold started posing his arms and chest the contest was over.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #402 on: May 04, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »

In that picture he does look damn good
Big full balanced
Probably one the best pics of him.

Yep, too bad that build was not at the 1980 Mr O. Arnold would have still one because it was rigged for him to. Yet had mike brought that physique that year all of his arguments following would have made more sense.
h

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #403 on: May 05, 2017, 01:05:43 AM »
In those ancient times, drugs showed very positive effects on those long and sharpened quadriceps.

1977 he was THICK that year

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #404 on: May 05, 2017, 01:55:00 AM »
I said wide hips. His waist itself is actually fine, but the disparity between that and the hips is/was the knock on him, specifically.

Not trying to make this a pissing match as you are a real bb fan and contribute greatly to this board but I'm not sure I'm following. To me, for a man, wide hips/wide waist are synonymous. If you have one you  have the other. It's not like women who have hour glass figure where they can enormous butts but tiny waists.

Could you please post a pic of Mike where you think clearly illustrates his wide hips. Ideally a comparison shot between the champs of the day (Zane, Coe, Arnold, Waller, Franco, Corney, Walker, Wilcoz...)

daron_e

• Getbig II
Re: Mentzer
« Reply #405 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »
Well, that's because people are making my point with the continued posting of B&W photos.

Mentzer was an aloof know-it-all who pushed his Heavy Duty methods to make money off gullible kids.

Of course he never mentioned that HD only worked when you were juiced to the eyeballs.

The guy had the most fragile psyche of all time. He lost one show and it drove him to insanity and then the grave because he couldn't accept someone else was superior to him.
HD has been all I have done for almost 20 years. If it didn't work for u..u didn't do it right or hard enough.. period

daron_e

• Getbig II
« Reply #406 on: May 05, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »
I saw a video awhile back of the 1980 Olympia. Arnold at 80% looked better than anyone there. Dickerson looked carved out of ice. I completely accept Arnold one and Dickerson two.  If anyone should complain about placing it should be Callender.
Arnold had no legs.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
 :)

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #408 on: May 05, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
Love this pic because of a massive Robby in the background.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #409 on: May 05, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
1977 he was THICK that year

hard to believe that he was ttraining full body 3 times a week at the time  :o

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #410 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #411 on: May 06, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »

In the bottom pic mike looks smooth / narrow & a belly.

Just goes to prove a picture taken at wrong or right moment
Can make all the difference to how we judge someone's physique.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #412 on: May 08, 2017, 04:31:14 AM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: May 08, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #414 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:41 PM »
When it is all said and done those titles don't mean that much. Mike and Ray had great physiques and Mike was an excellent writer. His memory will outlive any titles he did or did not win.

Before 1970 the NABBA Mr Universe title was the biggest title you could win. What a shame Joe came up with the Mr Olympia name because that doesn't sound as important as Mr Universe.

All the guys who won big titles in the past are mostly forgotten. Steve Reeves is one of few who became a legend.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #415 on: May 09, 2017, 03:52:10 AM »
Also the 1971 NABBA Universe was the contest of the year..1971 IFBB Mr Olympia being a joke

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #416 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »
i gotta defend mike here. he did not drink his own urine!!!!  dan duchaine started that rumor cuz mike had to carry around this jug to piss in for 24 hours to check his kidneys. he had to piss in every time. he couldnt leave it at home. duchaine loved controversy. he was the "howard stern" of bodybuilding. lol. yes mike had mental issues lots of them. but also he and his brother ray  were not lovers either!! another duchaine story!!  dan and mike never really got along. mike didnt really get along with to many . he thought he was "better" than most.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
i gotta defend mike here. he did not drink his own urine!!!!  dan duchaine started that rumor cuz mike had to carry around this jug to piss in for 24 hours to check his kidneys. he had to piss in every time. he couldnt leave it at home. duchaine loved controversy. he was the "howard stern" of bodybuilding. lol. yes mike had mental issues lots of them. but also he and his brother ray  were not lovers either!! another duchaine story!!  dan and mike never really got along. mike didnt really get along with to many . he thought he was "better" than most.

What about running through the streets naked and claiming art Jones was God also believing Arnold was orchestrating a conspiracy to destroy him?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2017, 01:54:20 PM »
i gotta defend mike here. he did not drink his own urine!!!!  dan duchaine started that rumor cuz mike had to carry around this jug to piss in for 24 hours to check his kidneys. he had to piss in every time. he couldnt leave it at home. duchaine loved controversy. he was the "howard stern" of bodybuilding. lol. yes mike had mental issues lots of them. but also he and his brother ray  were not lovers either!! another duchaine story!!  dan and mike never really got along. mike didnt really get along with to many . he thought he was "better" than most.

he was better than most

FYI,  that's a narcissist way of life

they truly do believe that they are better than most and in many cases they are correct  ;)

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2017, 03:57:11 PM »
like i said he did have alot of mental issues but drinking his own urine and having sex with his brother wasnt on the list!! yes he was naked in the streets when he was whacked out on meth. he didnt run thru the streets proclaiming arthur jones is god. he did that at golds gym. he would just stick his head inside and yell "arthur jones is god" . lol.  for no good reason. thats one of the reasons he got banned from golds.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #420 on: May 14, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #421 on: May 14, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »

That right there is proof that even if HIT doesn't work, drugs do.  So HIT works on drugs.  Really well, too.    ;)

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #422 on: May 14, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
good stuff. motivation thread here.

his legs dont do it for me tho - but he is a unique cat with a crazy awesome body

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #423 on: May 14, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »