Author Topic: Not Looking Good for Susan Rice  (Read 16564 times)

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Not Looking Good for Susan Rice
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
Top Obama Adviser Sought Names of Trump Associates in Intel

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-03/top-obama-adviser-sought-names-of-trump-associates-in-intel?t=1s

White House lawyers last month discovered that the former national security adviser Susan Rice requested the identities of U.S. persons in raw intelligence reports on dozens of occasions that connect to the Donald Trump transition and campaign, according to U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

The pattern of Rice's requests was discovered in a National Security Council review of the government's policy on "unmasking" the identities of individuals in the U.S. who are not targets of electronic eavesdropping, but whose communications are collected incidentally. Normally those names are redacted from summaries of monitored conversations and appear in reports as something like "U.S. Person One."

The National Security Council's senior director for intelligence, Ezra Cohen-Watnick, was conducting the review, according to two U.S. officials who spoke with Bloomberg View on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly. In February Cohen-Watnick discovered Rice's multiple requests to unmask U.S. persons in intelligence reports that related to Trump transition activities. He brought this to the attention of the White House General Counsel's office, who reviewed more of Rice's requests and instructed him to end his own research into the unmasking policy.

The intelligence reports were summaries of monitored conversations -- primarily between foreign officials discussing the Trump transition, but also in some cases direct contact between members of the Trump team and monitored foreign officials. One U.S. official familiar with the reports said they contained valuable political information on the Trump transition such as whom the Trump team was meeting, the views of Trump associates on foreign policy matters and plans for the incoming administration.

Rice did not respond to an email seeking comment on Monday morning. Her role in requesting the identities of Trump transition officials adds an important element to the dueling investigations surrounding the Trump White House since the president's inauguration.
a

mazrim

• Getbig V
Re: Not Looking Good for Susan Rice
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
Just saw this come out.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
Let's see how the left on here will spin this.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »
Susan Rice tried to ‘unmask’ Trump associates in intelligence reports

http://nypost.com/2017/04/03/susan-rice-tried-to-unmask-trump-associates-in-intelligence-reports/

Former President Obama’s national security adviser Susan Rice asked for the identities of Americans in intelligence reports that are connected to officials on President Trump’s campaign and transition teams, according to a report Monday citing US officials.

A National Security Council review of the government’s policy on “unmasking” the identities of Americans caught up in incidental surveillance revealed Rice’s requests, Bloomberg reported.

The identities of citizens collected are normally redacted from the intelligence reports and are designated as something like “US Person One,” Bloomberg reported.

Ezra Cohen-Watnick, the NSC’s senior director for intelligence, uncovered Rice’s multiple requests related to the Trump transition in February while conducting the review and alerted the White House General Counsel’s office, which undertook another review of Rice and told him to stop his investigation into the unmasking, the website reported.

The intelligence documents contained summaries of conversations monitored between foreign officials talking about the Trump transition. They also contained some instances of communication between Trump associates and foreign officials, the report said.

The data, according to a US official, included sensitive information about who the Trump associates were meeting and their views on foreign policy issues.

Rice did not respond to an email seeking comment, the website said.
a

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »

Ezra Cohen-Watnick, the NSC’s senior director for intelligence, uncovered Rice’s multiple requests related to the Trump transition in February while conducting the review and alerted the White House General Counsel’s office, which undertook another review of Rice and told him to stop his investigation into the unmasking, the website reported.

I actually want to weigh in on this, but I'm a little busy with work right now. Suffice it to say, I don't think this is some sort of smoking gun and OP's article doesn't suggest Susan Rice did anything illegal, so I don't really get the title. I have a few thoughts on this, I'll get to them later, but for now I'll just say that the part I quoted is something that jumped out at me.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
3/22/17 - "No knowledge"  EDIT- If it truly isn't illegal, and happens all the time, why did she deny it on 3/22?

a

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »
Interesting that, as of now, there is no mention of this on CNN.
Will Susan Rice be investigated to determine if she, or someone else, was the one that leaked the unmasked names?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
I smell trouble. 

Susan Rice requested to unmask names of Trump transition officials, sources say
By  Adam Housley   
Published April 03, 2017
FoxNews.com

Multiple sources tell Fox News that Susan Rice, former national security adviser under then-President Barack Obama, requested to unmask the names of Trump transition officials caught up in surveillance.

The unmasked names, of people associated with Donald Trump, were then sent to all those at the National Security Council, some at the Defense Department, then-Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and then-CIA Director John Brennan – essentially, the officials at the top, including former Rice deputy Ben Rhodes.

The names were part of incidental electronic surveillance of candidate and President-elect Trump and people close to him, including family members, for up to a year before he took office.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, asked about the revelations at Monday’s briefing, declined to comment specifically on what role Rice may have played or officials’ motives.

“I’m not going to comment on this any further until [congressional] committees have come to a conclusion,” he said, while contrasting the media’s alleged “lack” of interest in these revelations with the intense coverage of suspected Trump-Russia links.

When names of Americans are incidentally collected, they are supposed to be masked, meaning the name or names are redacted from reports – whether it is international or domestic collection, unless it is an issue of national security, crime or if their security is threatened in any way. There are loopholes and ways to unmask through backchannels, but Americans are supposed to be protected from incidental collection. Sources told Fox News that in this case, they were not.

This comes in the wake of Evelyn Farkas’ television interview last month in which the former Obama deputy secretary of defense said in part: “I was urging my former colleagues and, frankly speaking, the people on the Hill – it was more actually aimed at telling the Hill people, get as much information as you can, get as much intelligence as you can, before President Obama leaves the administration.”

Meanwhile, Fox News also is told that House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes knew about unmasking and leaking back in January, well before President Trump’s tweet in March alleging wiretapping.

Nunes has faced criticism from Democrats for viewing pertinent documents on White House grounds and announcing their contents to the press. But sources said “the intelligence agencies slow-rolled Nunes. He could have seen the logs at other places besides the White House SCIF [secure facility], but it had already been a few weeks. So he went to the White House because he could protect his sources and he could get to the logs.”

As the Obama administration left office, it also approved new rules that gave the NSA much broader powers by relaxing the rules about sharing intercepted personal communications and the ability to share those with 16 other intelligence agencies.

Rice is no stranger to controversy. As the U.S. Ambassador to the UN, she appeared on several Sunday news shows to defend the adminstration's later debunked claim that the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks on a U.S. consulate in Libya was triggered by an Internet video.

Rice also told ABC News in 2014 that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl "served the United States with honor and distinction" and that he "wasn't simply a hostage; he was an American prisoner of war captured on the battlefield."

Bergdahl is currently facing court-martial on charges of desertion and misbehavior before the enemy for allegedly walking off his post in Afghanistan.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/03/susan-rice-requested-to-unmask-names-trump-transition-officials-sources-say.html

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »
Interesting that, as of now, there is no mention of this on CNN.
Will Susan Rice be investigated to determine if she, or someone else, was the one that leaked the unmasked names?

No mention on auite a few of the larger networks/companies... (Rice is actually married to an executive producer at ABC) Must be waiting on a coordinated response from the PowersThatBe.

At this point, the media is practically asking why it smells like someone is cooking rabbit:

Spicer said today that this will be included in the House Oversight investigation. That's about it...  :-\
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Here comes the coordinated narrative:

An 'effort to divert attention' from the Trump-Russia probe

Pillar, who is now a nonresident senior fellow at Georgetown University's Center for Security Studies, said Rice may have even been motivated to request identities in order to constrain her own communications.

"If Ms. Rice was communicating with members of Trump's team regarding transition matters and she learns from intelligence that some such members also are communicating with the Russians, she would want to know exactly who is doing that so she can be extra careful in her own talks, lest something she says gets relayed to Moscow," Pillar said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/susan-rice-trump-unmask-intelligence-wiretap-2017-4
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
Fucking creepy:

a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »
Apparently a reporter (maggie haberman) with the NYT's got this story a week ago and sat on it. Go figure...

Also, "The information was disseminated to everyone at the top. More reports coming throughout the day on @FoxNews"

https://twitter.com/adamhousley/status/849001160547553280

a

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
Always cracks me up when our right wingers get all excited before having any info

Very likely that Susan Rice did absolutely nothing wrong.

If this were any kind of smoking gun it much more likely the White House would have given the full documents to the committees.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »
Always cracks me up when our right wingers get all excited before having any info

Very likely that Susan Rice did absolutely nothing wrong.

If this were any kind of smoking gun it much more likely the White House would have given the full documents to the committees.

a

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »

can you summarize what you think Susan Rice did ?

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
can you summarize what you think Susan Rice did ?

Can you read the various articles posted all over this site and the internet? I am not your errand boy.

a

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 03:46:06 PM »
Can you read the various articles posted all over this site and the internet? I am not your errand boy.

I want to know what your perception is of the articles you're reading

just sum it up in a few sentences

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
I want to know what your perception is of the articles you're reading

just sum it up in a few sentences

The title of this thread is sufficient.
a

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »
The title of this thread is sufficient.

All that (and your current answer) tells me is that you have no clue what she did or whether it was wrong

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »
All that (and your current answer) tells me is that you have no clue what she did or whether it was wrong

::)

Against my better judgement, I'll entertain you - From everything I have seen, it is not looking good for Rice. There is proof that she requested names be unmasked in the Trump circle dozens of times. When did these occur? Some sources are saying all the way before Trump was nominated. Is it illegal? Who knows, but it sure as hell isn't ethical - especially when the same sources are saying that the unmasked names/information was disseminated to "everyone at the top". Is this illegal? who knows, but a lot of people have denied knowing anything about Trump surveillance.  SHE unmasked the information, and SHE disseminated it across many agencies.

Take into account that Nunes said that the information he has seen does not even include Russia. Why would those names be unmasked? Even if incidental, these names should be masked. And if we are talking about the same information (which I suspect we are), why in the hell would Rice share this information?

Why would Rice go on national television on 3/23 and deny knowing anything about this entire "surveillance" issue?

So right now, there is a whirlwind of "sources" and until the documents are publicly available, my opinion should mean nothing.
a

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
::)

Against my better judgement, I'll entertain you - From everything I have seen, it is not looking good for Rice. There is proof that she requested names be unmasked in the Trump circle dozens of times. When did these occur? Some sources are saying all the way before Trump was nominated. Is it illegal? Who knows, but it sure as hell isn't ethical - especially when the same sources are saying that the unmasked names/information was disseminated to "everyone at the top". Is this illegal? who knows, but a lot of people have denied knowing anything about Trump surveillance.  SHE unmasked the information, and SHE disseminated it across many agencies.

Take into account that Nunes said that the information he has seen does not even include Russia. Why would those names be unmasked? Even if incidental, these names should be masked. And if we are talking about the same information (which I suspect we are), why in the hell would Rice share this information?

Why would Rice go on national television on 3/23 and deny knowing anything about this entire "surveillance" issue?

So right now, there is a whirlwind of "sources" and until the documents are publicly available, my opinion should mean nothing.

you asked more questions than you gave answers

Here are a few simple questions of my own

Is it unethical or illegal to request to "unmask" individuals ??

Do we know when it occurred, how and why (under what circumstances and for what reason)

Plenty of unanswered questions and speculation but somehow you've decided to skip over all that and start drawing conclusions

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
you asked more questions than you gave answers

Here are a few simple questions of my own

Is it unethical or illegal to request to "unmask" individuals ??

Do we know when it occurred, how and why (under what circumstances and for what reason)

Plenty of unanswered questions and speculation but somehow you've decided to skip over all that and start drawing conclusions

I am not a lawyer, I cannot speak the legality of the situation.

Various sources give various date ranges

I asked these questions in my statement. I gave you my opinions on what I think is going on.

It doesn't look good for Rice to go on TV a week earlier and lie about not knowing anything about the Nunes/surveillance situation. Especially when there are logs showing that Rice requested the unmasking of Trump associates.
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
Guy who broke the story just dropped this tidbit:

a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »
Ordinarily, such references to Americans would be redacted or minimized by the NSA before being shared with outside intelligence sources, but in these cases, names were sometimes unmasked at the request of Rice or the intelligence reports were specific enough that the American’s identity was easily ascertained, the sources said.

The exact national security justifications for Rice accessing the reports isn’t clear and may require additional documentation that the House and Senate intelligence committees have requested from the NSA, America’s lead agency in spying on foreign powers.

How the information was disseminated beyond Rice will also be a potential focus of congressional oversight, since lawmakers may want to know if it was briefed to Obama or shared with members of her larger circle of advisers, like deputy Ben Rhodes.

Rice has not returned repeated calls for comment from Circa. But in an interview with PBS recently, she said she had no idea what House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes was talking about when he said Obama officials were monitoring Trump associates after the election.

http://circa.com/politics/accountability/white-house-logs-indicate-susan-rice-consumed-unmasked-intel-on-trump-associates
a

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
Report–White House Computer Logs: Susan Rice Accessed Intel Reports Re Trump Associates
by Neil W. McCabe
3 Apr 2017

Circa News reported Monday that White House staffers found logs that document and date stamp President Barack Obama’s national security adviser Susan Rice accessing intelligence reports that included associates of the Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign:

Intelligence sources said the logs discovered by National Security Council staff suggested Rice’s interest in the NSA materials, some of which included unmasked Americans’ identities, appeared to begin last July around the time Trump secured the GOP nomination and accelerated after Trump’s election in November launched a transition that continued through January.

The intelligence reports included some intercepts of Americans talking to foreigners and many more involving foreign leaders talking about the future president, his campaign associates or his transition, the sources said. Most if not all had nothing to do with the Russian election interference scandal, the sources said, speaking only on condition of anonymity given the sensitive nature of the materials.

When intelligence or law enforcement agencies accidentally gather information related to American citizens, outside their legally sanctioned collection mission, the data appears in reports with simple labels, such as American 1 or American 2. However, when the reports were circulated inside the Obama administration, the actual names were used, or unmasked, or labelled in a way that made the speaker’s identity obvious.

The report written by Sara Carter and John Solomon also quotes an intelligence source, who said it is the common practice to step up surveillance of foreign governments after an election and that after Trump’s surprise victory Nov. 8 this ramped up intelligence gathering provided more opportunities for incidental collection of Trump associates, as the transition team reached out to foreign governments to prepare for the new administration.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2017/04/03/report-white-house-computer-logs-betray-susan-rice-accessing-intel-reports-related-to-trump-associates/