Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
December 12, 2017, 12:54:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power squats or Olympic squats?  (Read 601 times)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« on: August 19, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

Which one do you guys do? For many years I used a power lifting type squat. Low bar placement and semi wide stance. Throwing the back into the lift. I also did Olympic squats with a high placement of the bar and a upright stance sinking it.  I haven't used the squat for a couple of months now instead using the leg press, hack and dumbbell squat. Thought my skinny quads were responding well to the previously mentioned thigh exercises. Tried goblet squats but eventually felt it wasn't a good fit. Now that I'm getting back to Olympic squats I feel so inflexible I can hardly get any depth with a decent weight. Almost feel like I have to learn how to squat again.

With the explosion of cross fit it's now a bragging right of what you can clean and jerk again. I think it's a good thing over what's your bench? The ass to the grass Olympic squat is a major component in Olympic lifting.
Report to moderator   Logged
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:55 PM »

Over the years, speaking to and watching  a lot of guys and even some very powerful women lifters, I find that front squats and bench squats the most affected for mass and strength. With less stress on the lower back area. With bench squats, most find it an excellent way to learn proper squatting protocol, with more leg/hip and less lower back involvement. Athletes find better performance, from field events to football, with either of these two excellent lower body movements.

Would also include one legged squatting style exercises. As weighted step ups. one legged squats, lunges, etc., to improve squatting abilities themselves.

Body flexibility comes with each lift the more these exercises are worked.

Good Luck.

Report to moderator   Logged

F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!