Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dips  (Read 2886 times)
chess315
Getbig IV

« on: September 08, 2017, 03:47:08 AM »

Said to be the upper body squat what are your thoughts on them.
Report to moderator   Logged
NaturalWonder83
Getbig V

John Meadows has committed career suicide

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »

Said to be the upper body squat what are your thoughts on them.
i think they're amazing for the tris and chest
You should have the mechanics to do them correctly-core braced, no stress on neck, shoulders not rolled forward, not using the lower back to cheat
But I think you need to be extremely careful with them
They're one of the best exercises but also one of the exercises that can truly mess u up

w
Royalty
Getbig V

Jesus is Lord

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:04 AM »

I once read that doing dips is the real test to see if you have healthy shoulders.

Doing pain-free dips let's you know that your wrists, elbows, and shoulders are healthy.

Probably just like squats... letting you know that your ankles, knees, and hip joints are healthy.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

Most guys do dips really shallow and would benefit from doing them deeper. I think if you can do them then they are an outstanding exercise. So many guys have wrecked shoulders from benching that they can't do them without pain.
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:56:55 AM »

Dips, an overlooked exercise for many guys, that when done with serious intend can give serious results. If most guys would spend as much time dipping, avoiding benching, all might result in less shoulder girdle problems and better over all mass.. With basic dips your pushing down and along side the body, with a better natural grip (palms facing).  

When using a "V" dipping bar, a variety of hand positions, from narrow to wide, can be done as opposed to a regular dipping bar. . There's are also wider dips with the knuckles facing forward, giving a whole different stretch and feel to the exercise. Which ever you use, "V" bar or regular bar, a closer grip hits the triceps more. as a wider grip hits the chest more. Both hit the anterior delts. Holding a up right or a leaning forward position which dipping   cna change the whole affect of the exercise.

Ring dips are another very effective way to dip. Recruiting more muscle involvement because of the challenge of the stabilization of the whole body during reps. A core movement for gymnast.

Good Luck.

F
chaos
Getbig V

Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »

I know 2 people that have torn their pecs while dipping.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »

I know 2 people that have torn their pecs while dipping.

Wow, I wonder if their shoulders were tight from benching I think benches really contributes to inflexible shoulders. I notice a technique everyone is using now using various boards on the chest for partial benches. It's really not a new technique. I just see every power lifter using it now.  I think Chuck Sipes a bodybuilder was the pioneer of it. He used a power rack. Started doing his sets for a couple of weeks doing quarter reps lock outs. Then a couple weeks of half reps. Then 3/4 reps. Going to full reps it feels like you have a spring from the tightness.  I tried that when I heard of it in my 20's.  My shoulder went immediately out.  The guys with the boards use the same concept but they stick to around 3/4 reps. Personally I thing it's a recipe to really mess up your shoulder joint.
robcguns
Getbig IV

Founder of the proud straight white male movement

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »

I started doing dips at 14 and did them until last year 24 years.my best was 2 100lb plates between legs weighing 260 for 8 when I did dips I went down as far as you cocan of go and I believe it is what ruined my shoulders.I did a body weight set and got over 100 at 250.Tris,chest and shoulders got most there size from dips I believe.I would do 20 sets once a week of dips.Beat exercise ever if your shoulders can handl them.
Grape Ape
Getbig V

Y Ninja

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »

I started doing dips at 14 and did them until last year 24 years.my best was 2 100lb plates between legs weighing 260 for 8 when I did dips I went down as far as you cocan of go and I believe it is what ruined my shoulders.I did a body weight set and got over 100 at 250.Tris,chest and shoulders got most there size from dips I believe.I would do 20 sets once a week of dips.Beat exercise ever if your shoulders can handl them.

That's some legit weight.  Props.

I was able to do 10 reps with 3-45s, using the leaning forward style.

Now I avoid them completely.  One, I've had both shoulders fixed, but two, they really stress the insertions on the sternum, which always causes me pain.

Y
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »

The subjects of dips always reminds me of the late great Marvin Eder. His 400lb dips for 7 reps and his 430 for one rep  is something I'd remembering reading about as a teenager. He also did something like one arm pull ups for 7 or 8 reps.  Eder weighed around 198, and that bwt never seemed to change his whole life. He was a one in a million natural strongman. Being born with superior ligament and tendon doesn't hurt either.

If only doing two exercises for the upper body, might suggest the dip and pull ups...throwing in chin up as a alternate from time to time. Of course few take them seriously today, which is a mistake on their parts. Both exercises are know as body through space movements.

I've worked with a few gymnast before in the weight room at college and other training places, and yes they can include  weight training. Not just their strength in dips & chins (push-pull) but extension exercises like DB lateral, front and rear raises.  Example might be holds. Press a  DB overhead, than lower it out to the side and hold that DB position for 10 to 15 seconds each rep.  Than raise it back overhead again for another rep. Working that style with DB rear delt raised give not  only stable holding power but impressive read delts. This also improves the ligament and tendon strength, a very important element in any sport.

Good Luck.

F
joeygym65
Getbig II

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »

Great exercise. Always throw it in on my chest and tris days.
sync pulse
Getbig V

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:25:18 AM »

sync pulse
Getbig V

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:12 AM »

In seriousness, they're great...If you are advanced enough to have fun doing them.  If it's too much of a struggle you should use a push-down machine so you don't get frustrated...After a couple of months work the bodyweight dips in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!