Author Topic: Teenager Dead After Gym Accident - Brisbane  (Read 8464 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Teenager Dead After Gym Accident - Brisbane
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
If you're stupid enough to bench heavy on your own, have sense enough to not put collars on the bar, at least to have a chance of deloading the weights off of one side. I personally would never recommend a smith machine. I if the weight is heavy enough to pin you it's more than likely going to be too heavy to roll the bar back on the rack or let alone push it back up to the next notch to rack it.

Some years back we had a local kid that decided to workout alone in I think it was his grandfathers garage equipped with a smith machine. The kid got pinned and was found a couple of hours later, dead.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
If you're stupid enough to bench heavy on your own, have sense enough to not put collars on the bar, at least to have a chance of deloading the weights off of one side. I personally would never recommend a smith machine. I if the weight is heavy enough to pin you it's more than likely going to be too heavy to roll the bar back on the rack or let alone push it back up to the next notch to rack it.

Some years back we had a local kid that decided to workout alone in I think it was his grandfathers garage equipped with a smith machine. The kid got pinned and was found a couple of hours later, dead.

I am sure that the kids you mentor get made aware of the do's and don't of training with and without people around. Too bad there is not more of that these days. Rather than forcing people to take an initiation in most of these corporate facilities in which they are just showing people machines and pushing them onto personal training they should be spending half that time teahing noobs the do's/dont's and proper etiquette. It would probably help them froma business standpoint because noobs would be more impressed by the service and probably actually buy a few sessions without feeling pressured and saying fuck it
"

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
I am sure that the kids you mentor get made aware of the do's and don't of training with and without people around. Too bad there is not more of that these days. Rather than forcing people to take an initiation in most of these corporate facilities in which they are just showing people machines and pushing them onto personal training they should be spending half that time teahing noobs the do's/dont's and proper etiquette. It would probably help them froma business standpoint because noobs would be more impressed by the service and probably actually buy a few sessions without feeling pressured and saying fuck it

At least in my gym and our school gym, our kids are not allowed to be there unattended. For their safety and our liability. Believe it or not, I was the first one teach gym safety at our school. Blows me away that this is rarely taught.

Simple Simon

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
most gyms these days are run by fuckwits who have no idea what they are doing, commercial chains employing fat stupid fucks who have been on a 6 week PT course.

Long gone are the days of gyms being run by experienced people like Coach.