Author Topic: Stock market fear/greed indicator  (Read 11601 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Stock market fear/greed indicator
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
A bit naive??

I have detailed posts saying to start stacking the money down after Trump took the reins.

40% up on my investments since January of this year. (Yes I can document my post history to coincide with this)

I also bought Litecoin at 90 and sold at 310ish is for a quick 3.5 bagger and put that money into Ethereum at around the $400 mark, thereupon which i am upon holding as well. And by all means please look upon the post history.

I make myself and my posts VERY damn available so please do not come upon me with some bullshit because a simple post history search will prove upon u that I am the real deal my brotha.

No comment about what I posted about the Fed and QE, just bragging about gains.  lol

You got lucky and rode a stock bubble and a crypto mania... plain and simple.  Just luck.    

Gotta love these people who ride the coat tails of bubbles and manias and think they are some type of investing genius.  

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
And that’s not including the compounded value of dividends received as opposed to gold which pays none.

So it’s going to have to take one hellova correction to reverse that such that gold would have outperformed. Again, facts and reality, not fiction and misquotes ...

Inflation and taxes take a decent bite out of those gains too, don't forget that.  

I told you, I held stocks all those years and I still do.  I've doubled my gold holdings since 2016.  What are you talking about?  

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »
Yeah, pretty bad huh?  Don't forget to figure in dollar devaluation and taxes.  

Those gains will evaporate like a fart in the wind in the coming market crash.  2008 was only a warm up.  This time the Fed will not be able to stop it.  

I wonder were you guys will be when all this comes to fruition?  Not posting on this thread, that's for sure.
Well, I will give you credit.  You have done a pretty nice job of avoiding capital gains taxes.  I honestly don't care what happens.  I've used some of the profits from this unbelievable run to pay off my house and car within the last 6 months.  So i'm good.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »
Well, I will give you credit.  You have done a pretty nice job of avoiding capital gains taxes. 

Lol - nice insult disguised as a compliment  - not sure if all will pick up on it, but I get it :)

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »
Inflation and taxes take a decent bite out of those gains too, don't forget that.  

As they would do so equally to gold, if gold had actually made any gains...

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »

You got lucky and rode a stock bubble and a crypto mania... plain and simple.  Just luck.    

Gotta love these people who ride the coat tails of bubbles and manias and think they are some type of investing genius.  

As opposed to attempting to ride the gold bug bubble and getting unlucky? :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »
No comment about what I posted about the Fed and QE, just bragging about gains.  lol

I’ll put my money towards the best and brightest minds out there going forward.

If worshipping some piece of fucking metal that just sits there makes you feel better, then by all means please feel free to do so.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2018, 12:57:47 AM »
Notice how Mr A has disappeared. But he will be back as soon as the market drops again...

Never forget - Dow to 10,000, then 1000.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2018, 12:58:53 AM »
Notice how Mr A has disappeared. But he will be back as soon as the market drops again...

Wait - Last Active:   February 13, 2018, 05:18:37 PM. That means he must be reading our posts...

be back

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2018, 02:28:36 AM »

Hes cleaning his fictional penthouse....

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2018, 02:55:36 AM »
Crickets...

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
Dow down around 1% in late trading. And expecting and “this may be the big one post” from Mr A in 3...2...1...

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
And still more crickets ...

This thread had potential while the market seemed to be falling ...

The irony is that Mr A was that after the 10ish% drop reccemending selling and moving into cash/gold etc. When now, in hindsight one would of course have been best off buying equities at that time :)

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »
And still more crickets ...

shouldnt u be off doing pedo shit.. or whatever form of perversion those who choose to dwell in 3rd world shit holes indulge in?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
I love a good recession.  It drives down the price of real estate.   :)

Yep time to buy!

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2018, 11:03:33 PM »
Yep time to buy!

Wait until rates get a bit higher. Real estate is still far too strong. Haven't seen a drop in values where I am yet but maybe it's just starting to take longer to sell.

Vacant unincorporated land on the other hand is higher than ever, everybody wants 10-50 acres right now and even overpriced land is selling almost immediately.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2018, 12:25:07 AM »
shouldnt u be off doing pedo shit.. or whatever form of perversion those who choose to dwell in 3rd world shit holes indulge in?

What makes you think I live in 3rd world countries?

be back

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2018, 01:03:18 AM »
What makes you think I live in 3rd world countries?

3rd world posts....

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2018, 03:08:54 AM »
3rd world posts....

Lol you idiot. (Although the reply actually is quite funny) :) (not to mention ironic considering where you are based).

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
Still hearing crickets ...

Chirpty chirp, chirpty chirp - it’s still not quite the end of the earth ...

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2018, 07:56:44 AM »
   As long as earnings are solid, and interest rates aren't too high things should be ok. I have been investing since the early 90's, experiencing the internet boom and bust firsthand. I am familiar with Mr. Anabolic's position. At one time I was a big follower of gold bug Eric Sprott, and his fellow gloom and doom community. He made a fortune riding Gold up from under 300 bucks. The arguments made sense. Fiat money is being diluted and world debt keeps growing at unsustainable levels. I was very overweight in gold and silver, both stocks and physical. About 35% of my portfolio was in precious metals. Initially it did well, but since 2012 it has been absolutely horrible. Many big names from the time pressing juniors in particular like Sprott, Grandich, Faber, Schiff have suffered major loses . The only thing that saved my portfolio was U.S. tech stocks, financials, pharma and fintech stocks. Many have doubled or tripled in the last 5 years. Despite the precious metal under performance, the returns overall have been decent.

I sold all my gold and silver stocks in 2016 and 2017 but have kept the physical for now. It now represents about 10% of my portfolio as everything else has grown. The under performing 10 percent. During times of political turmoil precious metals have proven not to be a safe haven. As a store of value for inflation, precious metals are also not avenue of choice. The goldbugs have been wrong on their predictions day after day. The old saying, 'the markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent' may apply here. Many gold companies like Goldcorp and Sprott are now developing their own crypto currencies backed by gold to cash in on the trend. The role of precious metals is clearly diminishing as new alternatives are being developed with mass adoption.

Most crypto currencies are pure fraud at this point. Pump and dumps. The area is too unregulated. Some are being utilized in the payments space in particular. The earnings aren't there either. I made a little off them this year with play money (under 10K in) like so many others but it is speculative, not my brand of investing. I am currently out. Bagging on Gib is silly. He made money seeing the bubble form which often happens when you have everyday Joe's piling into the stock market. The same mania happened to the marijuana investments this year. He got out on the right side. Wall street does it all the time.

be back

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »
Still hearing crickets ...

Chirpty chirp, chirpty chirp - it’s still not quite the end of the earth ...

its what you get in third world countries...

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
  As long as earnings are solid, and interest rates aren't too high things should be ok. I have been investing since the early 90's, experiencing the internet boom and bust firsthand. I am familiar with Mr. Anabolic's position. At one time I was a big follower of gold bug Eric Sprott, and his fellow gloom and doom community. He made a fortune riding Gold up from under 300 bucks. The arguments made sense. Fiat money is being diluted and world debt keeps growing at unsustainable levels. I was very overweight in gold and silver, both stocks and physical. About 35% of my portfolio was in precious metals. Initially it did well, but since 2012 it has been absolutely horrible. Many big names from the time pressing juniors in particular like Sprott, Grandich, Faber, Schiff have suffered major loses . The only thing that saved my portfolio was U.S. tech stocks, financials, pharma and fintech stocks. Many have doubled or tripled in the last 5 years. Despite the precious metal under performance, the returns overall have been decent.

I sold all my gold and silver stocks in 2016 and 2017 but have kept the physical for now. It now represents about 10% of my portfolio as everything else has grown. The under performing 10 percent. During times of political turmoil precious metals have proven not to be a safe haven. As a store of value for inflation, precious metals are also not avenue of choice. The goldbugs have been wrong on their predictions day after day. The old saying, 'the markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent' may apply here. Many gold companies like Goldcorp and Sprott are now developing their own crypto currencies backed by gold to cash in on the trend. The role of precious metals is clearly diminishing as new alternatives are being developed with mass adoption.

Most crypto currencies are pure fraud at this point. Pump and dumps. The area is too unregulated. Some are being utilized in the payments space in particular. The earnings aren't there either. I made a little off them this year with play money (under 10K in) like so many others but it is speculative, not my brand of investing. I am currently out. Bagging on Gib is silly. He made money seeing the bubble form which often happens when you have everyday Joe's piling into the stock market. The same mania happened to the marijuana investments this year. He got out on the right side. Wall street does it all the time.

A very good post proving there are actually some smart and rational people here!

Mr A means well, and he also will likely not lose large amounts of money with his approach. However the irony is that in taking steps to avoid losing, he actually is losing to the extent that he is failing make gains. I’ve seen this play out exactly as posted by Keanu with regard to goldbugs and these types of investors can become increasingly disenfranchised and bitter - which is what may be happening with Mr A over the years.

A good investor will admit to others when they are wrong (and more importantly admit this to themselves). They will from time to time reassess their views and positions and adapt strategies accordingly.

Here’s a great graph that rams home the point.

http://www.longtermtrends.net/stocks-vs-gold-comparison/

The biggest irony of Mr A’s gold bug / anti-bitcoin views are that very similar arguments and dynamics apply to both asset classes (eg zero yield, cost of mining, limited supply, fiat currency hedge, can be exchanged for value with out the government or taxman knowing, can be used internationally as an store of value, and both are prone to an almost religious zeal from their supporters, etc).

Gold holders will have their day for a short period of time - and that perhaps might even be soon. But as I have explained before, even at such an occasion cash is likely to outperform gold (so for example we might see stocks fall 40%, gold 20%, cash zero meaning that of these assets, during a time of crisis, cash will be king).

be back

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2018, 01:26:21 AM »
Cash is always king, because anything else you have must be translated and converted into cash for it to have any value at all.

Without a medium of exchange/currency, there is no such thing as value.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2018, 01:48:28 AM »
Cash is always king, because anything else you have must be translated and converted into cash for it to have any value at all.

Without a medium of exchange/currency, there is no such thing as value.

Not correct. In an environment of asset inflation and money printing printing cash is anything but king.