Author Topic: Alex Jones being sued by Sandy Hook parents  (Read 6186 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Alex Jones being sued by Sandy Hook parents
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
There are usually protections made for Opinion, Public Figures/Limited Public Figures, and Matters of the Public Interest which usually raise
the standard for defamation, malice, etc.... .

-------------------------------------------
Watch how he frames these things. Always in the long versions, he is careful to frame them as personal opinions -

-----------------------------

Public Figure -

a public figure, a public official or any other person pervasively involved in public affairs, or

a limited purpose public figure, those who have "thrust themselves to the forefront of particular public controversies in order to influence the resolution of the issues involved." A "particularized determination" is required to decide whether a person is a limited purpose public figure, which can be variously interpreted.

One can argue they are at least limited public figures -

Heslin - http://www.msnbc.com/martin-bashir/neil-heslin-father-slain-6-year-old-test .

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4459285/testimony-neil-heslin .

Pozner - http://forward.com/news/170085/mother-of-noah-pozner-makes-emotional-anti-gun-ple/ .

---------------------------------------

You can also argue that the Sandy Hook Massacre transcends private tragedy and has became a matter of public interest since they are showing up at policy debates, etc....

-------------------------------------

Finally, show me where there is actual malice that has taken place. Jones is a conspiracy theorist, he believes in conspiracies, he has for 20 plus years. He doesn't waiver from that. He can also point to things like Operation Northwoods - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods , Gulf of Tonkin - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident, heck even the USS Maine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(ACR-1)#Sinking to make the argument that believing in conspiracy theories might be totally reasonable.

He never once told people to harass, threaten, or act violently toward those people. He just believes in a conspiracy theory and expessed it.

one of his followers is in prison for  threatening to kill one of the parents. Now we can debate all day long whether his reckless allegations caused that, but I'm sure we'll find out more during the upcoming trial. Point is, he is making money off the misery of people who endured what no parent should have to endure.. and because of his reckless allegations, he will have to answer for that in a court of law.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
nothing will come of this.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
nothing will come of this.

maybe.. if the lawsuit is successful it certainly will send a message to Jones and people like him. If it is unsuccessful it may send a message that there are potential lawsuits that may come up.. and they may not be as fortunate as Jones.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »
Also for those hoping that this ends Alex Jones, I wouldn't be so confident. I'm sure he has a ton of errors and omissions type broadcasting insurance. Also Texas has a strong "Retraction Statute" -

http://verdict.justia.com/2013/06/24/texass-new-retraction-statute .

Will be interesting if that comes into play.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 01:58:50 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. It's hard enough to lose a child like that. To have a radio host continue to say it was fake, and then have to deal with death threats for being a part of a hoax, is not what America should be about and it shouldn't be acceptable by anyone's standards. 

If Alex could be a little more specific and speak about specific individuals and back up his statements with sources and references, that would be one thing - but he is extremely vague with his comments, leaving the door open for a lawsuit like this.  :-\ :-X

be back

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
If Alex could be a little more specific and speak about specific individuals and back up his statements with sources and references, that would be one thing - but he is extremely vague with his comments, leaving the door open for a lawsuit like this.  :-\ :-X

you have it back to front, being vague always keeps you safe, its when you are specific that you are fucked when you get a lawsuit...

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 02:57:41 AM »
finally, something we can agree on. And the right uses the court system as well.

If and when that happens, they are wrong for doing it.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 03:57:36 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/17/603223968/sandy-hook-parents-sue-conspiracy-theorist-alex-jones-over-claim-shooting-was-fa

Glad to hear it. He is a vile creature and deserves what he gets. Telling anyone who will listen that the parents of dead kids are crisis actors... and that their kids weren't murdered. How does he sleep at night?

Alex Jones is a troll , he's a professional troll and this is disgusting, However the Sandy Hook parents have a history of suing everyone , They tried to sue Bushmaster and the gun shop that sold it , that's a slippery slope. 

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2018, 04:33:31 AM »
Excellent points. I admire how you set out your argument in outline form. Well thought out response. 
You need help understanding the quote feature?

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 05:54:09 AM »
slan·der
ˈslandər
nounLAW
the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »
Alex Jones will just claim that his mind was wiped by the MIB, and he was given false memories. These false memories were implanted in him to make him look like he is crazy.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
Alex Jones will just claim that his mind was wiped by the MIB, and he was given false memories. These false memories were implanted in him to make him look like he is crazy.

And if he were to say that, 90% of his listeners would believe it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
Lets forget first amendment rights...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

There are limitations on what you and can say. I can't say you have an attraction to barnyard animals. Actually I can say it.. but I am not immune to the consequences if you decide to sue me for defamation. It appears the allegation is Jones has been saying false things about these people, which has causes them harm. They are within their rights, by law to seek remedy in court. Apparently nicely asking Jones to stop spreading lies doesn't seem to work. Not that hard to understand.

and again...  the first amendment protects jones from the Government.. not consequences for his words against other citizens. 
So I should be able to sue news stations that air false news reports? I mean, those constant reports about killary winning the elections gave me anxiety, nervousness and I was threatened by a cnn watcher because I support Trump.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
So I should be able to sue news stations that air false news reports? I mean, those constant reports about killary winning the elections gave me anxiety, nervousness and I was threatened by a cnn watcher because I support Trump.

I don't think I can help you understand the difference. Or you are purposely being dense.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Q

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2018, 04:44:54 PM »
I don't think I can help you understand the difference. Or you are purposely being dense.
Again, failing to see a view when the roles are reversed shows your colsed mindedness.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Again, failing to see a view when the roles are reversed shows your colsed mindedness.

failing to offer an apples to apples example shows you don't really understand the premise.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »
failing to offer an apples to apples example shows you don't really understand the premise.
::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!