Author Topic: Zane  (Read 22310 times)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: Zane
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2018, 04:47:10 AM »
Zane, Arnold, and Franco, have all lost most of their large muscle size. Mere shadows of their former selves.

As they should as old men, only fools keep going for bulk in their 70's...

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2018, 04:49:44 AM »
great post pellius, there are a few morons on here, mentzer was being paid 150 k a year by weider to help run the magazine, zane was getting paid 5 k  a year by weider to win the mr olympia !

I doubt Joe was paying him 150K a year. Where did that number come from?

I'll ask DMass who was his best friend, who also (Dave) happens to be one of mine these days.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »
great post pellius, there are a few morons on here, mentzer was being paid 150 k a year by weider to help run the magazine, zane was getting paid 5 k  a year by weider to win the mr olympia !

;D

Woo$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2018, 06:00:29 AM »

I'll ask DMass who was his best friend, who also (Dave) happens to be one of mine these days.

I could believe it, I remember Robert Kennedy mentioning in Musclemag that Mentzer was pulling in A LOT of money.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2018, 06:22:42 AM »
Mentzer was at one time the highest paid writers for Weider. His courses and tapes sold way more than Zane. Did Zane even have courses and tapes? During that era. I followed bbing very closely during that time and never came across anything that was peddled by Zane. And that whole Mentzer drinking his own urine was absolute bullshit that was spread by those who hated him. And Zane Haven? What about it? Who went there? What makes your think it was a cash cow? I can call my house Pellius Haven but it doesn't mean it's some big attraction. Mentzer had his troubles which is well documented but both did well financially as bbers which is a huge accomplishment in itself.

Come on!
Zane had a slew of successful books.
Invented a successful piece of exercise equipment and lived in expensive Palm Springs where he ran a successful business.
Mentzer shared a tiny apartment with his kid brother. LOL!

Mentzer died a broke drugged / smoking / sickly lunatic.
Zane is still going strong w/ many books, his squat machine (he just ordered 200 more to be built and sold the 1st 100 pre-orders) his training biz at his home gym is still going strong, etc.

I would say "Zane for the win". and his wife is beautiful...

Exactly. :)

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
Mike was making very good money at various points in his life.

He also contributed more than Zane ever could by attempting to properly describe the theory of hypertrophy - rightly or wrongly. Alongside  Arthur Jones, Mike had the biggest impact on trainers going back to the drawing board to ask themselves whether they really needed to spend hours on end in the gym.

You mean stealing from Arthur Jones even though he used volume throughout his whole career? ::)

great post pellius, there are a few morons on here, mentzer was being paid 150 k a year by weider to help run the magazine, zane was getting paid 5 k  a year by weider to win the mr olympia !

150K, my ass!
If that’s true, Mike must have had some bad habits.
Again, he never had Zane success or money.
Neither on the posing platform nor off it.
He’s a fantasy Mr. Olympia while Zane is a real Mr. Olympia.
The urine stories have been confirmed by many.
Also, his weird obsession with Dan Duchaine was bizarre.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2018, 06:53:11 AM »
You mean stealing from Arthur Jones even though he used volume throughout his whole career? ::)

150K, my ass!

You are missing the point. Yes, Mentzer did more volume during his professional career than he later advocated. However, you are allowed to make revisions regarding training theory based on the observations you make whilst training others. Mike collated and reviewed what worked for his clients and what didn't. That's how the scientific method works, you propose a theory based on an analysis of the data etc. Was he absolutely bang on? Probably not, but what theory can you ever prove unequivocally? We can only ever observe and try our best to understand something. Fundamentally, we should always strive to better understand and describe nature.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:03 AM »
great post pellius, there are a few morons on here, mentzer was being paid $150 a year by weider to help run the magazine, zane was getting paid 5 k  a year by weider to win the mr olympia !

Fixed.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »
Once off the sauce they turned back into Bruce Banner.

is that what roid rage looks like.. ??? ??? ???
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
 ;D zane for the win.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2018, 07:47:59 AM »

power , what does dmass have to say about mentzers real training programs. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  pic of dmass pressing 100 lbers at 16 years of age.. he was also youngest mr america competitor ever for the uninitiated on here.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
power , what does dmass have to say about mentzers real training programs. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  pic of dmass pressing 100 lbers at 16 years of age.. he was also youngest mr america competitor ever for the uninitiated on here.
later on
F

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
Zane, Arnold, and Franco, have all lost most of their large muscle size. Mere shadows of their former selves.

Vince.. come on. All of them look better than you do now. Granted, they were true champions and should be in better shape but still, bagging on The Oak? really?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
I have yet to read most of the above comments, but here is the story that Mike personally told us concerning the income he received from Joe Weider.

I believe I mentioned this years ago on this Board, so I'll make it short.

Mike had a meeting with Joe about his 'wages'.

And Joe somehow 'countered' that instead of 'cash', he would include a full or half page ad in the magazine in which Mike could offer his training services.

Mike reluctantly agreed ..... but started writing.

And Weider ran the ad. (I have never seen this ad, but some of you GetBiggers may have and might be able to post it here.)

Months later Mike went to the Post Office to check out his P.O. Box which had a note on it asking him to talk to a postal clerk at the front desk.

Mike did that and the postal clerk asked, "Do you have a large bag?".

Mike did not have a large bag so he went next door and got a couple of large shopping bags.

And then he and the clerk filled those bags up with the envelopes in which Mike would find a check for his training prigram.

And Mike was surprised by the number of those envelopes and the number of checks inside those envelopes which made his reluctant agreement with Joe a very profitable venture.

So Mike was now very happy that he had agreed with Joe.

I don't recall the year in which Mike told us this story about this agreement , but that $150,000 may or may not have actually occured later on, but I don't belive that Joe was paying him that sum before Mike's "reluctant agreement".

I have heard that Joe's  'athlete sponsorship' topped out at $45,000/year around that time. (Maybe one of you more knowledgeable GetBiggers can confirm or deny that).

That was the first day of Mike's P.O. Box pick-up and there would be many more profitable P.O. visits to follow.

The above info came from the front end of the only horse in the race!

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
I have yet to read most of the above comments, but here is the story that Mike personally told us concerning the income he received from Joe Weider.

And Joe somehow 'countered' that instead of 'cash', he would include a full or half page ad in the magazine in which Mike could offer his training services.

And Weider ran the ad. (I have never seen this ad, but some of you GetBiggers may have and might be able to post it here.)

Months later Mike went to the Post Office to check out his P.O. Box which had a note on it asking him to talk to a postal clerk at the front desk.

Mike did not have a large bag so he went next door and got a couple of large shopping bags.

And then he and the clerk filled those bags up with the envelopes in which Mike would find a check for his training prigram.

And Mike was surprised by the number of those envelopes and the number of checks inside those envelopes which made his reluctant agreement with Joe a very profitable venture.

I don't recall the year in which Mike told us this story about this agreement , but that $150,000 may or may not have actually occured later on, but I don't belive that Joe was paying him that sum before Mike's "reluctant agreement".

I have heard that Joe's  'athlete sponsorship' topped out at $45,000/year around that time. (Maybe one of you more knowledgeable GetBiggers can confirm or deny that).

That was the first day of Mike's P.O. Box pick-up and there would be many more profitable P.O. visits to follow.

good post mr stunt movie, and you set a few morons straight on here. zane never had the appeal mentzer did and never will.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »

I wonder if my order was in that stack of envelopes! I was following Mentzer's articles very closely and was buying Weider's mag every month just to read Mentzer. As soon as I saw an advertisement for his course I ordered it immediately. I remember it well when it first came in. It came in a padded envelope and had a handwritten return address. I wonder if that was actually written by the man himself.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »
good story, stunt!

this was a great picture, no swimmers physique on zane there, he looks pretty big IMO

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
about zanes leg blaster though, one would think you can get the same kind of workout wearing a weigh vest, could you not?

doggler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »

They were foolish not to  use  biceps supinator . It's never  too late to get big as you have proved it .

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »

150K, my ass!

Mentzer "stole" nothing from Arthur Jones. If you were around at the time Mentzer came on the scene he made it abundantly clear describing his journey into what he would later term HIT the influence Jones had on him. He described how he wasn't progressing and was getting discourage until he came across Casey Viator and Arthur Jones. He describe how Jones changed his life. He gave credit and quoted Jones often in his writings Those who erroneously state that Mike built his physique using volume before meeting Jones simply ignore the facts before your eyes. You see early pictures of Mike when he first started training with Jones and you see the progress he made while being with Jones.

And who are these "many" that confirmed Mike drank his own urine. Name them. They actually saw Mike piss into a bottle and drink it? Mike has been interviewed about this and he, himself, said it was just a made up story. Who should we believe, Mike or Duchaine who didn't get along with Mike? Even if he did drink his own urine, and many do thinking it may have some health benefits, so what? It tells us nothing about his character or the effectiveness of his training methodology.

And Mike did not die poor and living in a tiny apartment. Where do you guys get this? How do you know?
I lived in Redondo Beach at the time and around two miles from the Mentzers. Though I saw Ray around town way more than Mike ,and though I wasn't privy to their W2 forms, their apartment was not a tiny little dive. Even the apartment unit I was living in at the time was a three bedroom, two bath unit and had a bigger living room and kitchen than my house does now and was just walking distance to the beach. The Mentzer's place was much more up scale.

In all fairness, Mike did have some bad habits but that is well documented. His impact, legacy and influence on bodybuilding is arguable second only to Arnold. Before Mike, no one talked about intensity,recovery and progression (only the pump). There was no talk about localized recovery versus system recovery. It was just do more sets to bring up weak parts. Even the role of genetics was never discussed pr cpnsidered before Mike. We were led to believe that if we just followed the Weider principles and take the supps we all could build Mr. America physiques. It was Mike that said that what Arnold did wasn't as important as what Arnold was. That Arnold would have been Arnold even if he trained with rocks.

Compare how much Mentzer is discussed on boards with how often Zane is.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

I've been looking for something just like this! With a vest you are limited on the amount of weight you can use plus getting it off and on is a hassle. Does anybody know anything about this equipment? Is it light and portable enough to fit in a canvass bag and bring into a gym. I do this exact movement anyway because it's easy on the knees. I can't squat anymore and our gym got rid of the hack machine. It's only leg press now. I want to do a squating movement with weights standing up.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »
good post mr stunt movie, and you set a few morons straight on here. zane never had the appeal mentzer did and never will.

Who did Mike ever beat? He couldn't beat an 80 Schwarzenegger. He quit like a bitch too.

Zane even beat Schwarzenegger.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »

I've been looking for something just like this! With a vest you are limited on the amount of weight you can use plus getting it off and on is a hassle. Does anybody know anything about this equipment? Is it light and portable enough to fit in a canvass bag and bring into a gym. I do this exact movement anyway because it's easy on the knees. I can't squat anymore and our gym got rid of the hack machine. It's only leg press now. I want to do a squating movement with weights standing up.

what about just doing goblet squats with a dumbbell or kettlebell?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
what about just doing goblet squats with a dumbbell or kettlebell?

Not even close. If that was the case I'd do front squats. The whole point of the movement with the Zane equipment is holding yourself upright by grabbing on to something.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2018, 03:48:55 PM »
i dont see the beneficial difference