Author Topic: Just did legs -- feel like crap  (Read 17066 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Just did legs -- feel like crap
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
I just did legs and just feel like crap. Not the drained, fatigued feeling you great following a hard workout but actually kind of light-headed, nauseous, and sick with diarrhea feeling.

I started out full of fire. After some warm-ups, I did one set of leg curls followed by one set of the standing Hammer squat, then back to single leg curls, followed by super setting leg extensions with the Hammer seated press. All were done to failure with forced reps, rest pause, and partials along with body weight full squats following both the Hammer Squat and Hammer leg press. I finished off with a set of stiff leg deads.

I don't even feel like eating and could barely down a whey protein drink along with a banana.

Blood pressure seems abnormally low. Fortunately, I'm off until Friday.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Just did legs -- feel like crap
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 10:45:50 PM »
Go to the hospital.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
Go to the hospital.

I concur. Go now

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 10:56:58 PM »
PIP.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:58:46 AM »
You shouldn't feel like crap after doing leg work. Perhaps you were coming down with something that was compromising your workout...like a virus.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 01:05:46 AM »
I just did legs and just feel like crap. Not the drained, fatigued feeling you great following a hard workout but actually kind of light-headed, nauseous, and sick with diarrhea feeling.

I started out full of fire. After some warm-ups, I did one set of leg curls followed by one set of the standing Hammer squat, then back to single leg curls, followed by super setting leg extensions with the Hammer seated press. All were done to failure with forced reps, rest pause, and partials along with body weight full squats following both the Hammer Squat and Hammer leg press. I finished off with a set of stiff leg deads.

I don't even feel like eating and could barely down a whey protein drink along with a banana.

Blood pressure seems abnormally low. Fortunately, I'm off until Friday.

Your body is in shock. At your age doing tons of beyond failure training in such volume is suicide. Go heavy on one exercise and moderate on the rest. You will look worse training like Tom Platz. I really hope you didn't have a minor heart attack. Get checked!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 01:24:25 AM »
You shouldn't feel like crap after doing leg work. Perhaps you were coming down with something that was compromising your workout...like a virus.

No, no virsus. You don't get a virus training legs or training anything. And if I was coming down with anything I would feel it before I get to the gym. I know when I'm starting to get sick. I came into the gym eager and anxious to blast. When you take a set, especially for a large muscle group like legs, to positive failure. Meaning you can't eek out another rep to save your life, then you do a few forced reps, then rest pauses where you lock out, take three deep breaths and bang out another forced rep, do that for four more reps, with every rep lowered in a slow, deliberate fashion so that it burns going down, then immediately grab a 45lb plate holding it between your legs for wide leg Sumo-type squats for another 15 reps, then do some bodyweight squats until your ready to drop to the floor --- for the first set. Then leg curls again with forced reps, rest pause, burns. Then a superset of extensions and leg press in the same fashion with the Sumo squats and bodyweight squats, followed by a set of stiff leg deads -- then it was probably more overexertion then a virus. I'm almost sixty goddamn years old now!

I feel much, much better now from just lying on the couch for a couple of hours to give my body a chance to normalize. I was thinking if maybe this was how Sergio Oliva felt after Arthur Jones' put him through his infamous quad routine which consisted of one set of leg press, followed immediately by one set of leg extension, then heading straight to the squat rack. Every set done to the death under Jones' watchful and demanding eye. Witnesses said that after finishing up with squats Sergio fell to the floor and didn't move for twenty minutes. Sergio claimed he was in his biggest and best shape training under Jones in Deland, Florida.

Anyway, I got my appetite back and had some chicken, rice, steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) and three oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm now in that pleasantly fatigued relaxed mode and already drifting off to sleep.

Two days of loafing and recovering and I'll be back Friday ready to go full on HIT Arthur Jones' style for chest, back, and shoulders.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 01:36:48 AM »
No, no virsus. You don't get a virus training legs or training anything. And if I was coming down with anything I would feel it before I get to the gym. I know when I'm starting to get sick. I came into the gym eager and anxious to blast. When you take a set, especially for a large muscle group like legs, to positive failure. Meaning you can't eek out another rep to save your life, then you do a few forced reps, then rest pauses where you lock out, take three deep breaths and bang out another forced rep, do that for four more reps, with every rep lowered in a slow, deliberate fashion so that it burns going down, then immediately grab a 45lb plate holding it between your legs for wide leg Sumo-type squats for another 15 reps, then do some bodyweight squats until your ready to drop to the floor --- for the first set. Then leg curls again with forced reps, rest pause, burns. Then a superset of extensions and leg press in the same fashion with the Sumo squats and bodyweight squats, followed by a set of stiff leg deads -- then it was probably more overexertion then a virus. I'm almost sixty goddamn years old now!

I feel much, much better now from just lying on the couch for a couple of hours to give my body a chance to normalize. I was thinking if maybe this was how Sergio Oliva felt after Arthur Jones' put him through his infamous quad routine which consisted of one set of leg press, followed immediately by one set of leg extension, then heading straight to the squat rack. Every set done to the death under Jones' watchful and demanding eye. Witnesses said that after finishing up with squats Sergio fell to the floor and didn't move for twenty minutes. Sergio claimed he was in his biggest and best shape training under Jones in Deland, Florida.

Anyway, I got my appetite back and had some chicken, rice, steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) and three oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm now in that pleasantly fatigued relaxed mode and already drifting off to sleep.

Two days of loafing and recovering and I'll be back Friday ready to go full on HIT Arthur Jones' style for chest, back, and shoulders.

This is insanity. I'm surprised you aren't injured and burnt out to oblivion training like this.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 01:44:25 AM »
Your body is in shock. At your age doing tons of beyond failure training in such volume is suicide. Go heavy on one exercise and moderate on the rest. You will look worse training like Tom Platz. I really hope you didn't have a minor heart attack. Get checked!

I'm still alive. I've been training HIT style for decades. Whether it's the optimal way for muscle hypertrophy is subject for debate but for conditioning and physical and mental toughness it can't be beat. Your body puts up enough barriers to prevent you from killing yourself. You'll drop from exhaustion before your heart shuts down (if you are in shape). And I don't know what you mean by looking worse training like Platz. Platz, though not genetically gifted, achieved a very high level and should have been either first or second in the 1981 Olympia. For my age, or any age, I am in pretty good condition and have blood work every 3-4 months and everything is on point. I've been training with weights non stop for 46 years and even before that I was doing pullups, pushups, bodyweight squats as a preteen.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 02:02:42 AM »
This is insanity. I'm surprised you aren't injured and burnt out to oblivion training like this.

I'm a lot tougher than I look. And you know how tough I look already.  ;D

BTW, I only train twice a week so I get a lot of systemic recovery. Of the three factors in resistance training: frequency (how often you train), duration (how long you train), and intensity (how hard you train). By far, by faaaaaaar, the most neglected is intensity. People spend hours in the gym, day after day but when they terminate a set they haven't come even remotely close to approaching the limits of their ability. Most are there at the gym year after year like clockwork yet never look like they've ever picked up a weight in their life. One thing that Jones said that stuck with me was that as long as you are working WITHIN your functional ability. Doing things that are already easy. Exercise will do little or nothing by way of increasing muscle size, strength, and functional ability.

If you can do ten pull-ups and continue to just do ten, never attempting an 11th, there is nothing for your body to adapt to. Nothing to stimulate an adaptive response. But to make matters worse, most people, though capable, don't even do those ten reps. Watch people in the gym. Watch when they terminate a set. For 95% of them, they have at least another good 4 or 5 more reps. Forget about intensity variables like drop sets, forced reps, burns... Then of course after about 15-20 seconds of subpar exertion, they will sit on their ass watching the TV or tapping on their phones for 3-4 minutes before going through another half ass set of robotic motions again. Set after pointless set before I have to tell them if I can jump in for one set while they are sitting around. They may be in the gym for two hours but 90% of the time (if they resting 3 minutes) they are doing nothing. Nothing but being in my way.

Most conflate duration for intensity. Thinking that training long is training hard when in fact they are inversely proportional. The harder you train the shorter the duration has to be. The difference between sprinting and jogging. People can jog for miles and mile. How far and how long can you go in a full sprint. Compare the physique of a sprinter versus a marathoner.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 02:09:53 AM »

BTW, I don't know what you mean by "such volume". Two sets of leg curls, one set of Hammer Squats with burn outs, one pre-exhaust super set and one set of stiff leg deads. Takes about twenty minutes (I rest between sets so I don't exactly do it A.J. style with no rest). I do arms first which consists of two curling movements and two tri extensions movements taking less than 15 minutes. Arms don't really tax my body systemically to compromise my leg routine but it does get the blood flowing so I'm warmed up and in the groove for the tough stuff.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 02:21:47 AM »
What‘s the point of going to the gym after u hit let‘s say 55, 60?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 03:31:17 AM »
What‘s the point of going to the gym after u hit let‘s say 55, 60?

For you? None. Just sit on the couch eating Cheetos and watching Seinfeld reruns.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 03:45:47 AM »
I'm still alive. I've been training HIT style for decades. Whether it's the optimal way for muscle hypertrophy is subject for debate but for conditioning and physical and mental toughness it can't be beat. Your body puts up enough barriers to prevent you from killing yourself. You'll drop from exhaustion before your heart shuts down (if you are in shape). And I don't know what you mean by looking worse training like Platz. Platz, though not genetically gifted, achieved a very high level and should have been either first or second in the 1981 Olympia. For my age, or any age, I am in pretty good condition and have blood work every 3-4 months and everything is on point. I've been training with weights non stop for 46 years and even before that I was doing pullups, pushups, bodyweight squats as a preteen.

Training to failure is a waste.  You can make the same gains training much easier.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 03:49:52 AM »
For you? None. Just sit on the couch eating Cheetos and watching Seinfeld reruns.

Fuck, I’m 37 and that sounds good. Crunchy or puffed Cheetos though?

You probably should go to your doctor just to get checked out.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 03:55:15 AM »
Training to failure is a waste.  You can make the same gains training much easier.

It's not a waste, but you can run yourself down very quickly doing every set to failure past age 45.  I've done this many times.  I still train hard and go to failure, but what really made me feel better was cutting the number of sets by 30-50%.  I'm still able to maintain a decent physique doing this.  Also, if you are training 4-5x per week you should be in the gym no more than 1 hour at a time.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 04:06:13 AM »
Sounds like you sent your central nervous system into shock
Maybe depleted carb stores also.

You’ve rested & your cns has recovered from that state allowing you to eat & you’re already feeling
Much improved from where you were.

Training in that manner is brutally hard on your cns let alone mentally & physically
I doubt there are very many who are capable of training / pushing themselves that hard.

I don’t see it as wrong - That’s how you train on a regular basis mentally you’re prepared
And able to push yourself physically that hard.

Taking someone who does multi sets / multi reps pumping style & even attempting to get
Them to do a similar workout would very likely put them off ever training again.
And there attempt would fall far short of your exertion level as they’d not be able to physically
Let alone mentally challeng themselves to the same degree.

It work for you & you enjoy it - that good.
Weather it’s necessary to go that limit for muscular growth is an entirely different subject.

If you are “Natural” & “Drug free” increasing rest days between workouts may be of benefit
Though reading you I’ve no doubt you’ve already considered/ tried this.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 04:07:23 AM »
It's not a waste, but you can run yourself down very quickly doing every set to failure past age 45.  I've done this many times.  I still train hard and go to failure, but what really made me feel better was cutting the number of sets by 30-50%.  I'm still able to maintain a decent physique doing this.  Also, if you are training 4-5x per week you should be in the gym no more than 1 hour at a time.
I did HIT training until about age 35 and then scaled back the intensity while still doing lower volume and it made no difference in muscle size plus I have more energy and enjoy training more.  One reason people quit training when they get older is they don't enjoy it and if your workout are brutal all the time you probably won't enjoy it.  Look at all the HIT guys who were injured or just quit early.  I'm reading a book on Arthur Jones now and he would go years between workouts because if he couldn't go all out he couldn't train at all.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 04:18:25 AM »
I did HIT training until about age 35 and then scaled back the intensity while still doing lower volume and it made no difference in muscle size plus I have more energy and enjoy training more.  One reason people quit training when they get older is they don't enjoy it and if your workout are brutal all the time you probably won't enjoy it.  Look at all the HIT guys who were injured or just quit early.  I'm reading a book on Arthur Jones now and he would go years between workouts because if he couldn't go all out he couldn't train at all.

Nail on the head - If You Enjoy It
Very Clearly He Does or he’d not be pushing himself that hard
The Enjoyment aspect of training is highly important to the continuation of going to the gym
As well as the wanting to look a certain way or achieve certain goals.

That extremely intense style of training isn’t for very many as they’d not be able to cope
Mentally or physically pushing themselves that hard, He does & it works for Him I don’t
Think he’s asking / telling everyone to do as he does.

He just suffered an adverse reaction to his workout on that occasion likely a few factors
Caused it - He’s not saying this is a regular occurrence after train if it is then that’s cause
For concern or should be for Him.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 05:18:10 AM »
Check for artery calcification
A

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 05:27:41 AM »

I started training at 19.  I was doing HIT the entire time until I was about 45.  After that I started getting injured more frequently, and very tired.  Now at 52, I simply cannot train all-out anymore.  Even with a good diet and plenty of rest it takes days to recover.  Getting old truly sucks.  Still, it's better to be a 'has-been' than a 'wanna-be'.  I'm going to hold off on TRT for as long as possible.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »
All joking aside, that BP is low enough to warrant a trip to the ER.  You should go to the hospital. 

On a side note, I'm highly surprised Coach didn't advise you to eat some cereal.   :D

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
Pretty low blood pressure but I guess it doesn't always mean you are in imminent danger. This is from the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/symptoms-causes/syc-20355465

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 06:25:28 AM »
Hope you’re feeling better.

Some good advice in this thread.

The ball-out lifting we do when we’re young is usually counterproductive, in general.

Train intensely but with consideration for what you expend and what it’ll take to bring balance back to your body.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
You’re going to die. HTH. :)
T