Author Topic: Eat Less Red Meat, Scientists Said. Now Some Believe That Was Bad Advice.  (Read 8487 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Oct. 1, 2019

Public health officials for years have urged Americans to limit consumption of red meat and processed meats because of concerns that these foods are linked to heart disease, cancer and other ills.

But on Monday, in a remarkable turnabout, an international collaboration of researchers produced a series of analyses concluding that the advice, a bedrock of almost all dietary guidelines, is not backed by good scientific evidence.

If there are health benefits from eating less beef and pork, they are small, the researchers concluded. Indeed, the advantages are so faint that they can be discerned only when looking at large populations, the scientists said, and are not sufficient to tell individuals to change their meat-eating habits.

“The certainty of evidence for these risk reductions was low to very low,” said Bradley Johnston, an epidemiologist at Dalhousie University in Canada and leader of the group publishing the new research in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The new analyses are among the largest such evaluations ever attempted and may influence future dietary recommendations. In many ways, they raise uncomfortable questions about dietary advice and nutritional research, and what sort of standards these studies should be held to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/health/red-meat-heart-cancer.html

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Red meat consumption should be limited and I don’t need a scientist to tell me this. Rotting flesh isn’t my thing anyway.
T

anvil

• Getbig IV
When the gov't came out with the "food pyramid" people became the shape of pyramids lol

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Red meat consumption should be limited and I don’t need a scientist to tell me this. Rotting flesh isn’t my thing anyway.

Why?

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
we eat steak once a week or so we like fish salmon, sword fish, chicken, pork chops , shrimp , beef kilbasa too much read meat is bad for the old colon
p

deadz

• Getbig V
Why?
Saturated fat does not do a body good.
T

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
When the gov't came out with the "food pyramid" people became the shape of pyramids lol
Yes, the food pyramid should be called the diabetes pyramid.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
we eat steak once a week or so we like fish salmon, sword fish, chicken, pork chops , shrimp , beef kilbasa too much read meat is bad for the old colon
Not if you get enough fiber.

dan18

• Getbig V
Why?
Too much iron and clogs up colon..
pros cons

Pro: Boosts energy levels. There’s a reason a lot of young kids are told eating their meat will make …

2.Con: May increase the risk of certain types of cancer.

3.Pro: Supports a strong immune system. A good immune system is essential for a healthy lifestyle, …

4.Con: May lead to diabetes. Red meat can take an unhealthy toll on your body, and too much of it …

p

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Saturated fat does not do a body good.

Saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet are great for the human body, especially for men.

deadz

• Getbig V
Re: Eat Less Red Meat, Scientists Said. Now Some Believe That Was Bad Advice.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »
I eat 93 7 ground turkey. Otherwise I eat fish. The thought of a big steak sitting in my stomach disgusts me.
T

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »
Not if you get enough fiber.
eat grass clippings  ;D no really most people don't so I suggest if you eat a lot of red meat steak ground beef then twice a week drink
Metamucil I do once a week
p

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 11:30:23 AM »
Too much iron and clogs up colon..
pros cons

Pro: Boosts energy levels. There’s a reason a lot of young kids are told eating their meat will make …

2.Con: May increase the risk of certain types of cancer.

3.Pro: Supports a strong immune system. A good immune system is essential for a healthy lifestyle, …

4.Con: May lead to diabetes. Red meat can take an unhealthy toll on your body, and too much of it …

No science to back that up.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
I eat 93 7 ground turkey. Otherwise I eat fish. The thought of a big steak sitting in my stomach disgusts me.
love ground turkey but man I fart like a run away train from turkey, the reason people feel bloated from steak is to big and to much iron constipates you :P
p

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »

Fair enough, but it doesn't mean it's bad for you.  Turkey and fish sit and rot in your digestive system just as much.

The thought of eating organ meat, liver, kidney, heart, etc. disgusts me to.  I wish it didn't, because that stuff is great for good health, strength and muscle development.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:04 AM »
No science to back that up.
Researchers do not yet know exactly how red meat affects the development of colorectal cancer. Red meat contains compounds that have been shown to damage the lining of the gut and possibly promote cancer. Cooking red meat at high temperatures can also produce other cancer-causing compounds
p

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
Fair enough, but it doesn't mean it's bad for you.  Turkey and fish sit and rot in your digestive system just as much.

The thought of eating organ meat, liver, kidney, heart, etc. disgusts me to.  I wish it didn't, because that stuff is great for good health, strength and muscle development.
Food does not "rot" in your stomach, period. Rotting is defined as the decomposition of organic matter (your food, in this case) as the result of bacterial or fungal action. Your stomach has a pH of about 2.0 or less when fasted, which is more acidic than even vinegar and lemon juice.
p

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »

This.

Most people know more than scientists, unless theyre a professed Christian believing in a spiritual entity, then they're a simpleton not open to reasoning.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
Researchers do not yet know exactly how red meat affects the development of colorectal cancer. Red meat contains compounds that have been shown to damage the lining of the gut and possibly promote cancer. Cooking red meat at high temperatures can also produce other cancer-causing compounds

True about cooking at high temperatures, but it's true also for any food including veggies.

Red meat doesn't cause correctional cancer anymore than other foods:

Vegetarians Have Fewer Cancers But Higher Risk Of Colorectal Cancer, Study
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/142427.php

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
Grass clippings are better for you,especially if freshly cut.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
This.

Most people know more than scientists, unless theyre a professed Christian believing in a spiritual entity, then they're a simpleton not open to reasoning.

Where's the science to back it up?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
eat grass clippings  ;D no really most people don't so I suggest if you eat a lot of red meat steak ground beef then twice a week drink
Metamucil I do once a week
Black coffee is my Metamucil.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
True about cooking at high temperatures, but it's true also for any food including veggies.

Red meat doesn't cause correctional cancer anymore than other foods:

Vegetarians Have Fewer Cancers But Higher Risk Of Colorectal Cancer, Study
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/142427.php

At the end of the day it really all depends on your DNA and whet one is more susceptible too, I know some old time guys who drank eat red meat 4 times a week and smoke and live to be 90. then some have heart attacks at 30 everything in moderation get yearly check ups and live life we only go around once...
p

Gneejack

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »
This.

I’m not saying scientists are infallible, but to think the average person knows more than a scientist who is an expert at their field is just plain ignorant. If you’ve ever gone to see a doctor instead of getting your medical advice from “most people”, you’ll realize how silly your statement sounds.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
I’m not saying scientists are infallible, but to think the average person knows more than a scientist who is an expert at their field is just plain ignorant. If you’ve ever gone to see a doctor instead of getting your medical advice from “most people”, you’ll realize how silly your statement sounds.

Your 3rd post and your mouthing  off ........................ ........................ good job  8)
p