Author Topic: The Golden Eagle - Tom Platz - Some Pics and Discussion  (Read 81856 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: The Golden Eagle - Tom Platz - Some Pics and Discussion
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
Here's what Rick Wayne, a real professional bber and someone who analyzed and wrote about bbing shows for a living, that was actually there at the contest said in a great article he wrote about the contest"

"I’d received advance warning from my spies in Santa Monica to watch out for a new Torn Platz, but I’d dismissed that as the usual bodybuilding hyperbole. Imagine my surprise when Tom showed up with not only extraordinary thighs and calves, but also with arms, chest, and shoulders that brought the house down every time he displayed them. In previous competitions his biceps and triceps had been especially weak. Somehow, for this contest Tom Platz had acquired precisely the look Olympia fans live for."

This is the full article and another example, as those from that time era will remember, why Rick Wayne was that best bbing writer ever. Too bad we don't have this kind of writing and commentary today.

https://www.strength-oldschool.com/blogs/news/1981-mr-olympia-the-greatest-booing-contest-of-all-time

Great article - thanks for posting  8)

I'll just leave these pictures from the article here...

T

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »

Great article - thanks for posting  8)

I'll just leave these pictures from the article here...

From those pics it's Platz. But the Mr O contest was never about the best physique anyways.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »
Joe Weider messed up the bodybuilding scene. We had the long running Mr Universe contest in London. Joe had to have his version. Well, what title could be bigger? None. He came up with the Mr Olympia nonsense that doesn't have any meaning for non-

bodybuilders. Can anyone imagine what it was like in the late sixties and seventies? Both Arnold and Sergio started winning mid sixties and dominated the seventies. What did Joe do? Well, having a white guy on magazines sold more copies and products. Thus,

they found a way to ban Sergio. When he was reinstated it was 1984 and he was still great but not the best. For most of the seventies Sergio competed in non-IFBB contests. So much for Joe wanting a contest for the top champs. All bullshit.

Anyway, by 1981 it was an open field for the bodybuilders. No Sergio or Arnold. The fact that Franco won in 81 is a real shame but typical of the IFBB. Controversy after controversy. Who picked the judges and how responsible were they? A good question.

So the IFBB remained a business a bit like professional wrestling. You pay your dues and you get rewarded. Things didn't improve until 1983.

one of the best interviews ever. I believe him. some might say he´s bitter but i think there is truth to it all.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2020, 06:02:48 AM »
anyone who says Platz had no upper body is insane in the Brain !

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2020, 06:11:50 AM »
I think tom Platz is a good guy.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2020, 08:11:44 AM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2020, 12:23:44 AM »
Best Louis Gossett Jr. movie ever.

ArnoldPlatz

• Getbig III
  • youtube.com/channel/UCM3b-ovhSj2GjARYWYWwODQ
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2020, 06:04:32 AM »
1982 guest posing ;D

ArnoldPlatz

• Getbig III
  • youtube.com/channel/UCM3b-ovhSj2GjARYWYWwODQ
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2020, 06:06:15 AM »
1992 :D ;D

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »
1992 :D ;D
don't think anyone has surpassed his 500 for 23, still to this day.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2020, 03:23:55 AM »
Tom was the eagle flying high. Did read something about him fucking some wrestlers chick & he got a beating at Golds?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2020, 03:41:00 AM »
I do that 3X a week in my home gym.  Oh wait, that's 50 x 23.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »

It's been done before with  more weight and long before he did it.  Trust me...

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »
It's been done before with  more weight and long before he did it.  Trust me...
J.C. Hise?  Paul Anderson?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2020, 07:26:21 AM »
J.C. Hise?  Paul Anderson?

Actually, me.  Multiple sets with 515 lbs to 535 lbs.  The only exercises I was strong on were those for the legs.  I was introduced to the milk and high rep breathing squat routine of J.C. Hise by some powerlifting friends because I could not gain weight and get stronger doing what I was doing in the gym.    It took nearly 10 years to reach that level of strength.

I met Platz and watched him squat.  He went ass to grass and I went parallel or just below.  Legal in a competition (which I never entered) but then I was 6' 1.5" and he wasn't.   ;D  He was much better built than I.  Nice guy too.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2020, 07:43:00 AM »
Actually, me.  Multiple sets with 515 lbs to 535 lbs.  The only exercises I was strong on were those for the legs.  I was introduced to the milk and high rep breathing squat routine of J.C. Hise by some powerlifting friends because I could not gain weight and get stronger doing what I was doing in the gym.    It took nearly 10 years to reach that level of strength.

I met Platz and watched him squat.  He went ass to grass and I went parallel or just below.  Legal in a competition (which I never entered) but then I was 6' 1.5" and he wasn't.   ;D  He was much better built than I.  Nice guy too.
Well that is irrelevant because half reps doesnt count.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:48 AM »

I did the 20 rep squat program as well.  Brutal as hell.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
I did the 20 rep squat program as well.  Brutal as hell.

Yup.  It worked like nothing else I've ever done.  I hated leg work prior to that because what I was doing was doing NOTHING for me, LOL!   ;D

J.C. Hise's routine was brutal but literally changed my physique.  I was stronger in all my lifts and became quite large compared to most folks, but was never a great bench presser or deadlifter but still kinda strong on them. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2020, 07:58:59 AM »
Well that is irrelevant because half reps doesnt count.

It's okay. You were not there so I can understand why you would say that.   :)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:54 AM »
Yup.  It worked like nothing else I've ever done.  I hated leg work prior to that because what I was doing was doing NOTHING for me, LOL!   ;D

J.C. Hise's routine was brutal but literally changed my physique.  I was stronger in all my lifts and became quite large compared to most folks, but was never a great bench presser or deadlifter but still kinda strong on them.
I always did the squats last instead of the beginning or middle of the routine like the book said.  I would do all the upper body stuff, rest 5 to 10 minutes and then do the final set of squats...... then collapsed on the floor.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2020, 08:04:48 AM »
I always did the squats last instead of the beginning or middle of the routine like the book said.  I would do all the upper body stuff, rest 5 to 10 minutes and then do the final set of squats...... then collapsed on the floor.

For me, leg day as just that:  Legs.  For "fun", after a set of squats I would get up on a bench and jump off.  Dumb, I know but it was kinda stupid fun to just jump and when I hit the ground, collapse on the floor.  I never gave a thought to the possibility of hurting myself doing that.  Stooopid.  ;D

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2020, 08:05:45 AM »
I always found it best to do hard aggressive leg work after cardio.
warmed up , blood pumpin.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2020, 08:08:22 AM »
I always found it best to do hard aggressive leg work after cardio.
warmed up , blood pumpin.
Also because your joints gets lubricated with joint fluid.

Going heavy on legs without proper warmup is like revving an engine to the rev limiter cold, ie. not oiled and lubricated cylinderwalls and bearings.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2020, 08:11:10 AM »
Also because your joints gets lubricated with joint fluid.

Going heavy on legs without proper warmup is like revving an engine to the rev limiter cold, ie. not oiled and lubricated cylinderwalls and bearings.
yes i can lift more weight.  more weight & reps. feel pumped as fuck

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »
For me, leg day as just that:  Legs.  For "fun", after a set of squats I would get up on a bench and jump off.  Dumb, I know but it was kinda stupid fun to just jump and when I hit the ground, collapse on the floor.  I never gave a thought to the possibility of hurting myself doing that.  Stooopid.  ;D
I could not understand how anybody could do barbell rows after the squats.  I would have fallen on my face.