Author Topic: Covid 19 - We are all screwed - discuss  (Read 501386 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Coronavirus - We are all screwed - discuss
« Reply #2925 on: April 09, 2020, 10:40:54 AM »
I'm surprised Trump doesn't bring tommywishbone, thin lizzy and soulcrusher with him when he speaks to the nation.

Trump just sent me a text! I'll be on the broadcast tomorrow. Tune in!
a

anabolicguru

• Getbig III
« Reply #2926 on: April 09, 2020, 11:26:43 AM »
That never happens.  Only white cops kill black men.  Do you not watch the news?

okay jussie smollett
I

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2927 on: April 09, 2020, 11:53:00 AM »
Trump just sent me a text! I'll be on the broadcast tomorrow. Tune in!

Good news! Now give that fascist Fauci an elbow to the ribs while you're there, haha

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #2928 on: April 09, 2020, 12:42:11 PM »
I’m no math PhD, but from my understanding half of 200,000 is 100,000. From 200 to 60k is 70%.

At this point, you have to be beyond stupid to believe anything you hear:

Fauci Says U.S. Virus Deaths May Be 60,000, Half of Projections

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/fauci-says-u-s-virus-deaths-may-be-60-000-halving-projections

Anthony Fauci: U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Could Near 200,000 | National News | US News

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-03-29/anthony-fauci-us-coronavirus-deaths-could-near-200-000

The article attributes the reduction of future number of deaths to the social distancing measures that will have 5-6 weeks by then. Thus, the article implies the projection assumed no social distancing.

The falling projection, the result of aggressive social distancing behaviors Americans adopted to curb the spread of the virus, may accelerate Trump’s effort to develop a plan to urge Americans to leave their homes and return to work next month.

“The real data are telling us it is highly likely we are having a definite positive effect by the mitigation things that we’re doing, this physical separation,” Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told NBC in an interview.

The question is, are you comparing a projection that assumed NO SOCIAL DISTANCING vs number of confirmed cases with 5-6 weeks of social distancing measures having been implemented?

EDIT: not sure how about the date for the prediction. If it is early August, the social distancing measures should have 6 weeks by then.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2929 on: April 09, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
So far:

US Corona death rate: 4%

Spain Corona death rate: 10%

Italy Corona death rate: 13%

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2930 on: April 09, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »
CDC Releases Early Demographic Snapshot of Worst Coronavirus Cases

Approximately 90% of the 1,482 hospitalized patients included in the study released Wednesday had one or more underlying medical conditions. Older people infected with the virus were more likely to be hospitalized; men were more likely to endure severe cases than women; and black people were hospitalized at a higher rate than whites. The study also found that hospitalization rates for COVID-19 have been significantly higher than for recent outbreaks of influenza.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-releases-early-demographic-snapshot-185459389.html

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2931 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:25 PM »
So far:

US Corona death rate: 4%

Spain Corona death rate: 10%

Italy Corona death rate: 13%

Not even close.  The vast majority of people who have been exposed to the virus will never know it and anyone who dies WITH the virus is said to have died OF the virus.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2932 on: April 09, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
Not even close.  The vast majority of people who have been exposed to the virus will never know it and anyone who dies WITH the virus is said to have died OF the virus.

I'm going by the published numbers of infected vs dead, which change depending on who you ask, and all numbers regardless of source are questionable to me.

But yes, the number of infected is probably far greater, which would make the percentage of deaths due to Corona far smaller.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2933 on: April 09, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
The article attributes the reduction of future number of deaths to the social distancing measures that will have 5-6 weeks by then. Thus, the article implies the projection assumed no social distancing.

The question is, are you comparing a projection that assumed NO SOCIAL DISTANCING vs number of confirmed cases with 5-6 weeks of social distancing measures having been implemented?

EDIT: not sure how about the date for the prediction. If it is early August, the social distancing measures should have 6 weeks by then.

This is just past embarrassing. 90% of the people had pre-existing serious illnesses.  How much socializing could they have been doing?

The little shit did the same thing that he did back in the 80s with AIDS . He assumed that it would explode into the general population. This idiotic assumption predicated on the idea that Gay men would suddenly start having sex with women. 35 years later it hasn’t happened. This won’t happen either.

Seriously, do you question anything you hear from the mainstream media and the politicians? There is literally no line of bullshit that you haven’t bought hook line and sinker.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #2934 on: April 09, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
This is just past embarrassing. 90% of the people had pre-existing serious illnesses.  How much socializing could they have beendoing?

The little shit did the same thing that he did back in the 80s with AIDS . He assumed that it would explode into the general population. This idiotic assumption predicated on the idea that Gay men would suddenly start having sex with women. 35 years later it hasn’t happened. This won’t happen either.

Seriously, do you question anything you hear from the mainstream media and the politicians? There is literally no line of bullshit that you haven’t bought hook line and sinker.

You must be one of the dumbest posters on here.

Ok, so I take it you're not even aware if the things you're comparing (model vs data) have the same variables.

Nice try twisting pre-existing pathologies into "pre-existing serious illnesses". What were those "pre-existing serious illnesses"?

Were they lung cancer, heart attacks? Or high blood pressure, diabetes? Have you even looked at the data?

So far, you haven't been able to answer not even single one of the questions directed towards you. All the speculation falls apart at the slightest analysis. It's like if you draw an helicopter and expect it to fly. You're one of a kind.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #2935 on: April 09, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
In South Africa, lockdown has been extended for 2 weeks after the current 3 weeks, making it a 5 week lockdown.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2936 on: April 09, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »

Ok, so I take it you're not even aware if the things you're comparing (model vs data) have the same variables.

Nice try twisting pre-existing pathologies into "pre-existing serious illnesses". What were those "pre-existing serious illnesses"?

Were they lung cancer, heart attacks? Or high blood pressure, diabetes? Have you even looked at the data?

So far, you haven't been able to answer not even single one of the questions directed towards you. All the speculation falls apart at the slightest analysis. It's like if you draw an helicopter and expect it to fly. You're one of a kind.

You act like you’re in the majority here. You’re not. Most people agree with me. Can you blame them? Why would anyone listen to you? You change your story and move the goalposts every day. I never have to do that:

I know how this plays out. To justify these interventions, they’re going to have to artificially bump up the victim numbers to the point where somebody gets hit by a truck and turns out to have a positive corona test is said to have died of corona.

The Way the U.S. is Counting Wuhan Coronavirus Deaths Seems Problematic
Townhall ^ | 04/08/2020 | Katie Pavlich
Posted on 4/8/2020, 10:00:23 AM by SeekAndFind

During the White House Wuhan coronavirus task force briefing Tuesday evening, Dr. Deborah Birx said the United States has taken a "liberal approach" in the way doctors classify deaths from the virus.
Dr. Birx confirms ALL DEATHS of people infected with coronavirus -- regardless of underlying conditions -- are classified as COVID-19 deaths

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2937 on: April 09, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »
I’m sure the genius Uno has a perfectly good explanation for why a virus that started in China and was supposedly spread by Chinese Nationals, has affected blacks and Puerto Ricans in New York City to a much greater extent than it has Asians.

Apparently, this Chinese virus has affected everyone in New York City except the Chinese.😂😂😂

Black, Hispanic represent majority of NYC’s coronavirus deaths: de Blasio - New York Daily News

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-black-hispanic-new-yorkers-20200408-6w7r6jpzgvfwzdiajdtd736k2e-story.html

Hispanics account for 34% of the city’s deaths and black people, 28%, while whites comprised 27% of fatalities and Asians, 7%, according to the state Health Department.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #2938 on: April 09, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »

lol you should stop

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #2939 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »
You act like you’re in the majority here. You’re not. Most people agree with me. Can you blame them? Why would anyone listen to you? You change your story and move the goalposts every day. I never have to do that:

"The majority" is not a good argument for anything.

Why don't you try for the first time actually addresing the questions directed towards you?

You either:

a) lack the mental capacity.
b) are trolling.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #2940 on: April 09, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »
I’m sure the genius Uno has a perfectly good explanation for why a virus that started in China and was supposedly spread by Chinese Nationals, has affected blacks and Puerto Ricans in New York City to a much greater extent than it has Asians.

Apparently, this Chinese virus has affected everyone in New York City except the Chinese.😂😂😂

Black, Hispanic represent majority of NYC’s coronavirus deaths: de Blasio - New York Daily News

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-black-hispanic-new-yorkers-20200408-6w7r6jpzgvfwzdiajdtd736k2e-story.html

Hispanics account for 34% of the city’s deaths and black people, 28%, while whites comprised 27% of fatalities and Asians, 7%, according to the state Health Department.

I haven't even taken a look at it, and to be honest I don't think I could point out at the reasons.

But let me guess, your explanation is that is that it's an hoax. Yep, great work there. ::)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2941 on: April 09, 2020, 03:41:42 PM »
Yawn

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/fauci-says-u-s-virus-deaths-may-be-60-000-halving-projections

Deborah Birx, the State Department immunologist advising the White House’s coronavirus task force, projected March 31 that as many as 240,000 Americans could die as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, even with another 30 days of stringent public health restrictions.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #2942 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »
Yawn

Deborah Birx, the State Department immunologist advising the White House’s coronavirus task force, projected March 31 that as many as 240,000 Americans could die as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, even with another 30 days of stringent public health restrictions.

A model being off doesn't prove your theories about:

- How Covid-19 is a hoax with the intention of devaluating the dollar.
- Pre-conditions being mainly catastrophic illnesses.
- How people with pre-conditions shouldn't be counted on the statistics.
- Data being manipulated to inflate numbers in hispanics and blacks populations.
- How the low sensivity of Covid-19 test inflates the number of cases (it does the opposite!).
- How exponential growth should be linear.

See, you've been polluting every single thread with your conspiracy theories and every single question directed towards you has been answered with generic replies.

I'm actually glad that that model in the US is off. Doesn't mean you were right, it means we have more data now and can make better predictions. That's how science works, revisiting models and plugging in new data.

Conspiracy theories with no substance except for a burning desire of going against general consensus have no place in society.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #2943 on: April 09, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »
In South Africa, lockdown has been extended for 2 weeks after the current 3 weeks, making it a 5 week lockdown.

I'll call Strydom for confirmation.
a

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2944 on: April 09, 2020, 05:46:31 PM »
24-year-old EMT with coronavirus dies

A 24-year-old Pompton Lakes EMT died from complications with the coronavirus, friends and state officials said.

Kevin Leiva, an EMT in North Bergen and at Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital, died from complications with the coronavirus Tuesday, said Cesar Perez, an EMS supervisor in Passaic for Saint Clare’s. He leaves behind his wife Marina.

Leiva is the second EMT who worked at Saint Clare’s to have died from complications with the coronavirus. He died one week to the day after the death of Israel Tolentino Jr., a 33-year-old Passaic firefighter and EMT at Saint Clare’s.

Leiva was remembered as smart, positive and selfless, who lived to help others through being an EMT.

“We did everything together,” said Kara Connolly, his partner for two years at Saint Clare’s. “We became really close. I talked to him every single day. He’s so selfless. He did everything for anybody.”

At Thursday’s press briefing, Gov. Phil Murphy honored the young EMT, thanking him for his years helping others.

“Kevin was only 24 years old," said Murphy. “Bless him. We thank him for his service. For an extraordinary lifetime. For his service to this state.”

Perez, Leiva and Leiva’s best friend Franklin Pachay all started at Monmouth Ocean Hospital Service Corporation (MONOC) at the same time, meeting at their orientation. Although Leiva was a dedicated, diligent EMT, eventually becoming an EMT supervisor for Saint Clare’s, his friends would tease him for nodding off during orientation videos.

“We used to crack on him because he used to fall asleep during the videos,” recalled Perez. “He was great and he’s going to be missed.”

When it came to work itself, Leiva was serious, said Perez. But at work, Leiva was never without a snappy comeback, he said.

“He was always known as super funny and positive and hard-working,” said Connolly. When Saint Clare’s was awarded the contract to provide emergency medical services for Passaic, both Connolly and Leiva applied. The two became partners, talking every day and becoming good friends.

Eventually, both became EMS supervisors at Saint Clare’s.

A candlelight vigil was planned for Friday from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. to honor Leiva at the Passaic EMS headquarters on Grove Street.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/24-year-old-emt-with-coronavirus-dies.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=njcom_sf&utm_content=nj_facebook_njcom&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3Hbw9RrYmRb3gM_nh524XB_JoLWhnW7hj31ZL6Zu6MNnhgRTqe0F2jidM

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #2945 on: April 09, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Some people are going to die no matter how old they are.

They have weak immune systems or some peculiar susceptibility to the virus.

It sucks for them and their families.

Just hope you are not one of those unfortunate people.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2946 on: April 09, 2020, 06:11:44 PM »
Some people are going to die no matter how old they are.

It sucks for them and their families.

Just hope you are not one of those unfortunate people.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2947 on: April 09, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »

If someone (like fat Americans) screwed his immune system with sugary & process food , Chingsvirus will eliminate them.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2948 on: April 09, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »
At the end of the day, liberals are always wrong:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/the-cure-not-worse-than-disease-971808

PETER WADE AND PATRICK REIS  MARCH 23, 2020 6:15PM EDT

/In that light, dealing with even a lot of economic and personal pain seems worth it, especially with an estimated 2.2 million American lives at stake

Fauci Slashes U.S. Death Projection, Raising Hope for Reopening

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-09/fauci-says-u-s-virus-deaths-may-be-60-000-halving-projections

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2949 on: April 09, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »

Even the sycophantic GOP admit that the orange turd's "leadership" is too stupid even for stupid GOP voters (and that is really stupid)

Trump Keeps Talking. Some Republicans Don’t Like What They’re Hearing.

Mr. Trump “sometimes drowns out his own message,” said Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina,
who has become one of the president’s informal counselors and told him “a once-a-week show” could be more effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-keeps-talking-some-republicans-dont-like-what-theyre-hearing/ar-BB12pb1N

t’s the kind of performance the president relishes, but one that has his advisers and Republican allies worried.

As unemployment soars and the death toll skyrockets, and new polls show support for the president’s handling of the crisis sagging, White House allies and Republican lawmakers increasingly believe the briefings are hurting the president more than helping him. Many view the sessions as a kind of original sin from which all of his missteps flow, once he gets through his prepared script and turns to his preferred style of extemporaneous bluster and invective.

Mr. Trump “sometimes drowns out his own message,” said Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who has become one of the president’s informal counselors and told him “a once-a-week show” could be more effective. Representative Susan Brooks of Indiana said “they’re going on too long.” Senator Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia said the briefings were “going off the rails a little bit” and suggested that he should “let the health professionals guide where we’re going to go.”

Anthony S. Fauci, Donald Trump are posing for a picture: Mr. Trump has told aides he relishes the free television time and high ratings that come with his nightly appearances.© Doug Mills/The New York Times Mr. Trump has told aides he relishes the free television time and high ratings that come with his nightly appearances.
Even the conservative Wall Street Journal editorial board chastised the president for his behavior at the briefings. “Covid-19 isn’t shifty Schiff,” it wrote in an editorial on Thursday, using Mr. Trump’s nickname for Representative Adam Schiff. “It’s a once-a-century threat to American life and livelihood.”

Slide 1 of 50: Digital billboards and a US Flag at half-mast at Time Square on April 09, 2020 in New York City. - New York Governor Andrew Cuaomo ordered flags at half-mast to honor COVID-19 victims. (Photo by Angela Weiss / AFP) (Photo by
Next Slide
Full screen
1/50 SLIDES © Angela Weiss/AFP/Getty Images
The world is battling the COVID-19 pandemic.

(Pictured) Digital billboards and a US Flag at half-mast at Time Square on April 9 in New York City. - New York Governor Andrew Cuaomo ordered flags at half-mast to honor COVID-19 victims.

Slideshow by photo services

With only intermittent attempts to adapt to a moment of crisis, Mr. Trump is effectively wagering that he can win re-election in the midst of a national emergency on a platform of polarization.

In interviews, Republican lawmakers, administration officials and members of his re-election campaign said they wanted Mr. Trump to limit his error-filled appearances at the West Wing briefings and move more aggressively to prepare for the looming recession. Some even suggested he summon a broader range of the country’s leaders, including former Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, in an all-hands-on-deck moment to respond to the national emergency.

The consternation reflects a new sense of urgency over Mr. Trump’s re-election efforts as Joseph R. Biden Jr. emerges as his likely Democratic challenger. Three new polls this week show Mr. Biden leading the president, and the Trump campaign’s internal surveys show he has mostly lost the initial bump he received early in the crisis, according to three people briefed on the numbers. Public polls show he badly trails the nation’s governors and his own medical experts in terms of whom Americans trust most for guidance.

“I told him your opponent is no longer Joe Biden — it’s this virus,” Mr. Graham said.

News to stay informed. Advice to stay safe.
Click here for complete coronavirus coverage from Microsoft News                 
One of Mr. Trump’s top political advisers, speaking on the condition of anonymity so as not to anger the president, was even blunter, arguing that the White House was handing Mr. Biden ammunition each night by sending the president out to the cameras.

Vice President Mike Pence, this adviser said, should be the M.C. because he projects more empathy than the president, rarely makes mistakes and, as a former governor and the chief of the coronavirus task force, has a better grasp on the details of the response.

Yet the publicity-obsessed president is unlikely to relinquish his grip on the evening sessions: Mr. Trump has told aides he relishes the free television time and boffo ratings that come with his appearances, administration officials say.

He also views it as an opportunity to put forth his version of events and rebut the negative coverage he is receiving, as he showed in a tweet Thursday afternoon. On a day that New York State reported 799 deaths from the coronavirus in a 24-hour period, Mr. Trump’s focus was on himself, and his feuds.

Deep divisions remain in the White House and the Republican Party over how quickly to ease social distancing orders and urge Americans to return to school and work. Some who have Mr. Trump’s ear, like Mr. Graham, are urging prudence. But a number of Republican lawmakers and Fox News personalities are lobbying the president to reopen the economy as quickly as possible.

Amid the conflicting advice, the president’s gut instincts and fondness for showmanship have won out, prompting him to frequently contradict or simply obscure the scientists who polls show are most trusted by voters.

And it’s not just an overwhelming majority of voters who believe the medical experts should be center stage: Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, personally urged Mr. Trump at the start of the crisis to let Drs. Anthony S. Fauci and Deborah Birx be the face of the response, according to a Republican official familiar with their conversation.

Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, said: “Any suggestion that President Trump is struggling on tone or message is completely false. During these difficult times, Americans are receiving comfort, hope and resources from their president, as well as their local officials, and Americans are responding in unprecedented ways.”

Some of Mr. Trump’s aides have quietly suggested to him that he ratchet back his public attacks on the governors who have emerged as leaders in the response to the virus. But they acknowledge their efforts can be something of a fool’s errand; the president has his style and he won’t change, they say.

His attacks on Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, a popular Democrat and potential vice-presidential pick for Mr. Biden — whom Mr. Trump called a “half-Whit” and “that woman” — were of particular concern to some aides and political advisers, who believe he risked alienating voters in a pivotal state.

Representative Paul Mitchell, a Michigan Republican, said he had contacted a senior White House official, as well as Ms. Whitmer herself, to express his unhappiness about their mutual sniping.

“It is not helpful to hurl names and talk about badly about people,” Mr. Mitchell said. “We need to focus on the problem.”

At Mr. Trump’s re-election campaign, staff members have closely monitored internal polling data showing an erosion of the gains Mr. Trump made immediately after he put social distancing guidelines in place. Advisers are torn between knowing that a less abrasive approach would help Mr. Trump and their awareness that he can’t tolerate criticism, regardless of the setting.

Mr. Trump’s limited gains in the polls are all the more striking when compared with those made by governors in both parties; many are enjoying double-digit gains in their approval ratings. And Mr. Trump’s penchant for ad hominem attacks, Republicans say, illustrates why he has little room for growth among the electorate.

“He can’t escape his instincts, his desire to put people down, like Mitt Romney, or to talk about his ratings,” said former Representative Carlos Curbelo, a Florida Republican. “That’s why he’s not getting the George W. Bush post-9/11 treatment. A leader in this sort of crisis should have a 75-to-80-percent approval rating.”

That would prove difficult for even a more conventional president at a time the country is so politically divided, but a number of prominent Republicans believe Mr. Trump has hurt himself by making only the most halting attempts at demonstrating an above-the-fray unity.

For example, aides to both Mr. Bush and Mr. Obama said that neither had been asked by the White House to do anything to aid the response to the crisis.

“The model of Obama asking Bush and Clinton to work on Haiti is a really good model,” said former Gov. Bill Haslam of Tennessee, recalling how Mr. Obama deployed Mr. Bush and former President Bill Clinton to lead the United States’ assistance to Haiti after the devastating 2010 earthquake there.

But Mr. Haslam and other Republicans believe Mr. Trump needs to go much further. Mr. Haslam called for creating a recovery team and installing “the economic equivalent of Dr. Fauci” as its leader. Asked whom he had in mind, Mr. Haslam suggested Mitch Daniels, who previously served as the governor of Indiana, the head of the Office of Management and Budget and as chief executive of the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly.

A number of senators, including Mr. Graham, are also pushing for a sort of economic task force to complement the virus task force.

“The administration needs to be thinking through what does it look like to get back to business,” said Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, suggesting that it should “give a lot of thought to how we scale back up economically, because that’s going to be the next big challenge for us.”

The health of the economy may pose the biggest challenge to Mr. Trump’s re-election.

Mr. Toomey said he “won’t be surprised if we have 25 percent unemployment,” which would match the height of the Great Depression, by the start of the summer. But he said that if voters believed “the president has handled this well under the circumstances, and we’re on a good path, he has a shot.”

Other Republicans are more skeptical that Mr. Trump can win if he’s still saddled with double-digit unemployment in November. “I think that makes it really hard,” said Tony Fratto, a former Bush administration official.

And then there’s the matter of Mr. Trump and his conduct at the daily briefings.

Mr. Toomey has been outspoken about the need for Americans to wear masks when they leave home. Last week he had a 20-minute conversation with the president, whom he described as “thoughtful and engaged.”

By week’s end, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had issued guidelines: People should wear “cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.” The agency’s decision was based in part on recent studies showing that people without symptoms can give the virus to others.

But in the same briefing where he announced the guidelines, Mr. Trump diminished the move as “a recommendation.”

“I just don’t want to wear one myself,” he said, explaining that he had no symptoms. “I am feeling good.”