Author Topic: $1,650 A Month West Village Apartment  (Read 11249 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: $1,650 A Month West Village Apartment
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 10:55:00 AM »
I grew up right near Bronxville.  Yuppies galore

Yup! And, relatively well off retired seniors. My family there was comprised of both. An aunt and uncle with money and two younger second cousins earning high incomes.

When taking the train back from NYC and upon arriving at the station, 'pirate taxis' chauffeured us home for a fairly low price. This was before Uber.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »
Roomates for people in the service industry and usually some side hustle. Cops and firemen live in our version of the burbs in long island\staten island and like maybe parts of queens with no subway(so it's undesirable)

2019 median household income:

Manhattan, Kansas = 50K

Manhattan, NY = $110K

Median home price:

Manhattan, Kansas = $200K

Manhattan, NY = $1.4M

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »
240 million for that? I get it, some people have so much money that they don't give a shit. However, that is not worth 240 million dollars. But some billionaire  will probably pay the asking price.

That is why city living is so overrated. For 240 million dollars, you can buy your own private island, and build a castle.

Still will have enough left over for ESPN+ and Netflix.

the person who buys that wont even live in it

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 01:10:53 PM »
The pay you make in NYC is offset by the cost of living.  You can live in Manhattan, Kansas for way less and you don't have to deal with the traffic and other high expenses.

yah but then you live in kansas

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
Living in a broom closet with a communal bathroom down the hall and a hotplate to cook on is common in NYC unless you want to spend $2-$3k/mo.

Even for $2-$3k you only be lucky to get a small studio.

Forget about having a car.  Parking is $25-$50 a day.

But hey, it's worth it to live in NYC they say.  Personally I detest living in a big city.

My ex lived in a small "loft" in downtown Houston. It was $2200 a month for 550 SF, parking was $125 per month and there were no visitor spots. I had to Uber to her place or park my car 3 blocks away and pay $40 for an overnight stay.

This place was a shoebox, you could barely fit two people in there. The bathroom was so small you couldn't shut the door while sitting on the toilet, you had to stand in the shower, close the door and then sit with your knees up against the back of the door. It was insane.

The laundromat was always full unless it was after midnight. You had to carry an access card everywhere, all doors locked. Trash bin was in the alley behind the place, took 20 minutes to take the trash out.

It was an old office space converted into small "lofts".

Oh and the view was of the local homeless camp off main street by the light rail. Bums pissing and shitting on the sidewalks, harassing everyone who passed by.

But she loved it because it was "hip" and close to all the downtown hipster bars/clubs.

For the same price i had a 2000 SF house on a 1/3 acre 20 miles outside of town.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 04:32:15 AM »
yah but then you live in kansas
With these lockdowns it doesn't matter you live.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 05:06:29 AM »
My ex lived in a small "loft" in downtown Houston. It was $2200 a month for 550 SF, parking was $125 per month and there were no visitor spots. I had to Uber to her place or park my car 3 blocks away and pay $40 for an overnight stay.

This place was a shoebox, you could barely fit two people in there. The bathroom was so small you couldn't shut the door while sitting on the toilet, you had to stand in the shower, close the door and then sit with your knees up against the back of the door. It was insane.

The laundromat was always full unless it was after midnight. You had to carry an access card everywhere, all doors locked. Trash bin was in the alley behind the place, took 20 minutes to take the trash out.

Oh and the view was of the local homeless camp off main street by the light rail. Bums pissing and shitting on the sidewalks, harassing everyone who passed by.

But she loved it because it was "hip" and close to all the downtown hipster bars/clubs.

For the same price i had a 2000 SF house on a 1/3 acre 20 miles outside of town.

Location...location.

residue

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 08:18:40 AM »
With these lockdowns it doesn't matter you live.

maybe not to you, there's still a thriving "underground" that makes nyc one of the few places in america that's worth living in

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
maybe not to you, there's still a thriving "underground" that makes nyc one of the few places in america that's worth living in
Well, then don't ever complain about the cost.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »

The old "Southern Pacific" Building?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »

Yup. As long as you can afford it, where you live is pretty much a matter of choice. There's a long running TV show, House Hunters on which many of their episodes address this issue between partners, one wants the city because it's where all the action is and the other wants the suburbs where you get more house for your money. What they end up buying, goes either way.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 01:03:45 PM »
The old "Southern Pacific" Building?

Close.

Kirby lofts off main and Mckinney, right by Morton's Steakhouse.

I believe is was an old office high rise built in the 1920's and renovated to residential in the 00's.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
Yup. As long as you can afford it, where you live is pretty much a matter of choice. There's a long running TV show, House Hunters on which many of their episodes address this issue between partners, one wants the city because it's where all the action is and the other wants the suburbs where you get more house for your money. What they end up buying, goes either way.

That's true. I always want to live in the suburbs or in the country on a few acres of land. I grew up in the country so i think that's why that's my preferred location.

All my past GF's like the big city life. Probably why we never live together. ;D

I can't stand crowds and want peace and quiet.

It's not that it bothers me that people want to live downtown, i just find it annoying and extremely inconvenient. I remember at 7am if would take me 10-15 minutes just to get out of the parking garage due to the insane traffic. I guess if you work a few blocks away and can walk it's different, but i worked 12 miles away.

Like this morning i drank coffee on my back patio while watching a few quail run around the yard searching for bugs. Nice and peaceful. When i used to stay downtown with my ex you couldn't even open a window and the view was homeless people and traffic.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »
That's true. I always want to live in the suburbs or in the country on a few acres of land. I grew up in the country so i think that's why that's my preferred location.

All my past GF's like the big city life. Probably why we never live together. ;D

I can't stand crowds and want peace and quiet.

It's not that it bothers me that people want to live downtown, i just find it annoying and extremely inconvenient. I remember at 7am if would take me 10-15 minutes just to get out of the parking garage due to the insane traffic. I guess if you work a few blocks away and can walk it's different, but i worked 12 miles away.

Like this morning i drank coffee on my back patio while watching a few quail run around the yard searching for bugs. Nice and peaceful. When i used to stay downtown with my ex you couldn't even open a window and the view was homeless people and traffic.

Were the homeless people searching for bugs though? Because in that case it's the best of both worlds.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
Were the homeless people searching for bugs though? Because in that case it's the best of both worlds.

;D

Not the same type of bugs.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 06:28:13 PM »
A couple of points:

1) There’s nothing like living in Manhattan when you’re 25-35 and making a few bucks. Nothing. It’s a great lifestyle.

2) There aren’t many “regular” people living in Manhattan, although there are housing projects and subsidized or regulated housing, i.e., rent controlled or rent subsidized. Regular people live in the outer-boroughs or lower rent suburbs.

3) Suburban cops in the NY-area, particularly on Long Island, make $200K a year easy. And they get to retire on half-pay after 20 years. And their half-pay is based on the average of their last 3 years when they rack up the overtime. They then move to FL at age 44 with their $150-$175K tax-free pensions. It’s a racket.

4) Real Bronxville houses, meaning those in the Bronxville school district, are as upscale as it gets. Expect to pay $1 million for a 2400 sq ft house with $50K a year in property taxes, if you can find one as a true Bronxville house is hard to find. The prices goes up from there and expect a bidding war. There are some apartments near the train station that are in the Bronxville SD but the residents there (Soul Crusher types) are viewed as losers by the homeowners.

5) See No. 1.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 05:06:05 AM »
Over priced everything and unless you are a multi millionaire (very few men age 25-35) you have no chance with the gorgeous women there.  What's the point?

residue

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 06:47:32 AM »
Over priced everything and unless you are a multi millionaire (very few men age 25-35) you have no chance with the gorgeous women there.  What's the point?

with 9 million people just in nyc you can't walk down the block without running to a gorgeous woman, they're in abundance. nyc is also like top 15 in least obese cities

residue

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 06:49:51 AM »
A couple of points:

1) There’s nothing like living in Manhattan when you’re 25-35 and making a few bucks. Nothing. It’s a great lifestyle.

2) There aren’t many “regular” people living in Manhattan, although there are housing projects and subsidized or regulated housing, i.e., rent controlled or rent subsidized. Regular people live in the outer-boroughs or lower rent suburbs.

3) Suburban cops in the NY-area, particularly on Long Island, make $200K a year easy. And they get to retire on half-pay after 20 years. And their half-pay is based on the average of their last 3 years when they rack up the overtime. They then move to FL at age 44 with their $150-$175K tax-free pensions. It’s a racket.

4) Real Bronxville houses, meaning those in the Bronxville school district, are as upscale as it gets. Expect to pay $1 million for a 2400 sq ft house with $50K a year in property taxes, if you can find one as a true Bronxville house is hard to find. The prices goes up from there and expect a bidding war. There are some apartments near the train station that are in the Bronxville SD but the residents there (Soul Crusher types) are viewed as losers by the homeowners.

5) See No. 1.

I don't agree with 2 at all, Im 35 and am barely in manhattan, My apt cost more than an manhattan apt as well. For at least the last 10 years brooklyn is wayyyyy wayyyy cooler than manhattan. There's almost no nightlife worth going to in manhattan for anyone under 40, i guess if i was old and cared about the opera or ballet i'd venture into the city more

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 07:06:47 AM »
I don't agree with 2 at all, Im 35 and am barely in manhattan, My apt cost more than an manhattan apt as well. For at least the last 10 years brooklyn is wayyyyy wayyyy cooler than manhattan. There's almost no nightlife worth going to in manhattan for anyone under 40, i guess if i was old and cared about the opera or ballet i'd venture into the city more

There are some areas in western Queens and downtown Brooklyn that are good for the younger crowd. However, that’s a relatively new phenomenon (like you said last 10 years, maybe more in the case of Brooklyn). On the whole though, Manhattan is still way more expensive to live in than the outer boroughs. There are blocks and blocks in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s filled with multi-million dollar apartments.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 07:07:54 AM »

That’s just ridiculous. You don’t have to be a multi-millionaire. Not even close.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 07:10:09 AM »
We all need a bathroom to poop

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:08 AM »
We all need a bathroom to poop

Poop in a bucket...toss out the window

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 08:34:20 AM »
Poop in a bucket...toss out the window

Why would you get rid of it that way? Do these apartments lack garbage disposals?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2021, 10:32:51 AM »
with 9 million people just in nyc you can't walk down the block without running to a gorgeous woman, they're in abundance. nyc is also like top 15 in least obese cities
You also can't walk a block without running into a millionaire.  There are more gorgeous women but there is much more competition as well.  Unless you are elite in the wallet, you aren't getting those girls.