Author Topic: How many push-ups can you do?  (Read 7326 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: How many push-ups can you do?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2006, 09:26:25 PM »
It's more about balance. I just did one because you mentioned it. Took me three tries to get it. NO points for form.  Have a good one.
L

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 04:35:46 AM »
I used to do pushups every morning and night before school (before i started lifting). Once did circuit of 30 normal,30 wide 30 close. like 20nsec between them.vvv hard,i lay on the floor after for a while,then did situps etc lol.

Some rugby buddies of mine use pushuips alot, they do bench with weight they can just get 6 reps with,then take weight off and just do bar for as many reps as poss (sometimes 80), then try and do 10 pushups (vvv hard), then put weight back on little lighter than b4, and repeat again. I suppose this can b used for most exercises. They said it built strength and endurance etc. Who knows as iv never done it.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 07:37:45 AM »
I'll do Hindu pushup's or Dive Bombers, from time to time, as they were called in football practice. Tends to give a better stretch and warm-up before upper body work, for me anyway, over regular push-ups. Set's of 50 for light warm-ups. Can build up to 200/300 reps or more ,which I've seen some fighters & service guy's do. In Cal prisons now (took a lot of the lifting equipments away....con's getting way too big and strong for the guards), I've heard they do Hindu push-up and Hindu squats (bwt) just about every day. And they do rep's of 500 to 1,000+. Actually the prisoners do the Royal Court exercises which also include a form of neck bridges/stretches along with the push-up and squats. I can confirm all this because a few of my childhood friends strayed from the good path and spent some time in the joint. Good Luck.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 07:56:43 AM »
I guess instead of focusing on weightlifting they can focus on being better criminals. I never understood that. Try a deck of cards. Color cards are 10 and face are whatever the value is. Ace's are 15 and jokers are 20. This will kick your ass if done right.
L

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 08:05:58 AM »
I suppose JPM,if these guys dont have weights (or at least heavy weights) anymore in teh jails, and they are doing al that body weight work evey dsay,they could probably still build themselves up alot if they applied themselves to it and worked hard??

That deeck of card idea sounds yummy lol.

davie

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 08:25:24 AM »
No it sucks. Then again i hate anything that intefers with my lift, which this will. Try it...
L

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 09:39:35 AM »
i used to follow dolph lungrens maximum potential workouts. Id do 30 pressups in 4 different positions with about 15-30 seconds rest between each. Then id do it again until i was completing a total of 360 pressups and that was before situps, crunches etc and a 6 mile run. I wish i was 17 again lol
Scouser on Tour

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 10:06:44 AM »
He called that workout a maximum potential workout. nice

davie

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 10:22:11 AM »
hey, more power to you guys who are in the service! (thanks for protecting my ass!) headhuntersix, i remember back in high school some guys who used to do diamond hand push ups. they are definitely good for building the chest and arms. ( i think i'll try some soon!)hey, just curious, are any of you out there strong enough to do a push up with just 1 arm? (I KNOW I AIN'T!!!) to those of you who can, I ENVY YOU!  :(

I can do the one armed variety, but the angle and stress on the joint feels strange.  Don't forget the pushups where you have to clap your hands on the upward part of the movement.  By the way, if pushups are part of your routine, there is a piece of equipment I picked up, not sure what you call it, but you put your hands into a kind of stirup, so when you are on the concentric part of the pushup, you can go even lower to isolate the chest and it avoids unnecessary stress on the wrists and hands.  Very cool.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »
OK bud, when where you in the Airforce. If you were in a long while ago the standards were even more lax. I'll give you a chance to rephrase this. The Airforce has never required anybody to do any of this stuff including the PJ's or Para Jumpers.  For everybody else thats the guys who work with SF/Delta as medics. They had some in Black hawk Down. Maybe those where the maxes. Everybody has max scores. The test is run one after another with PU's/SU not anymore - cruntches now. I think you guys sprint or something now. in any event its not fun but even SF only requires a 260 or above on the PT test. Not that you'd wanna go in in that kind of shape. If you were in Security forces or MP's then your  unit may have had its own requiremnets but dude you'll scare anybody from joining the Airforce if you tell em stuff like this. In the Army units will try and have individual requirements  ie 4 miles in 26 minutes or ruck marches in under a certain time. They can't slam you unless you fail the Army standard PT test. As the AF gets smaller they have become or are becoming more like the Army. Thanks for serving bro.

This was in 1994-1995 and yes it was for a PJ/Navy/Marine unit and those specifics were a unit program that we abided by long before the Air Force tried to even think about getting their troops into shape.  The AirForce P.A.S.T test was entirely different and was scored on a different basis.  I believe the score total for PJ's was 270 not 260 for our combined which included flutter kicks, 2 different swims, pushups, pullups, situps and 1.5 mile run.  There was a chart that I think I have at home that gives the scores for each but I remember there was no minium on anything.  I have no idea what the deal is today but i'm sure it hasn't changed to much.  I think it would be fun just to go and knock out a perfect score after being out of the loop for so long!  I know I could get 300 with nooooo problem even without swiming for years!!! ;D

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »
He called that workout a maximum potential workout. nice

davie

the video was called maximum potential, and i used to do that every day from start to finish just to build my upperbody strength and endurance. The first time i tried dipping i found that i went from barely being able to do 2 to doing 20 with sheer ease. Now THAT was a great feeling. I had no idea i had improved that much
Scouser on Tour